the dyrt
Umpqua National Forest, OREGON
Most Recent Umpqua National Forest Camping Reviews
Alt-Lodge Go-To; 7-miles South of Rim Village in the Trees

One of two campgrounds officially in the park, outside of a backcountry permit, Mazama Village is certainly not a place of solitude, notching in around 200+ sites, but if amenities are your m.o.—camp store, restaurant, showers, gas station—for $21/tent site, you won’t find a better option, other than the historic lodge on the rim of the lake.

Combined with RV spots, and the popularity of Crater Lake as a Seven-Wonder of Oregon bucket-list spot, the village is pretty much at capacity all season long, as such you’re bound to have a diverse social experience from tourist to family to rowdy glamper, but in my handful of experiences here, everyone pretty much respects the 10 p.m. quite hours in favor of waking up to those gorgeous ponderosa pine blanketing the grounds.

Otherwise, re: solitude—giddy-up a dash for Mazama’s much more low-key, tent-only 16-site sibling a few miles closer to the rim, Lost Creek, which ditches reservations entirely, instituting a first-come, first-served option, and Pro-Tip 🤫 : is only $10!

Very low water in August

While the campground itself was nice, with spaced out sites for privacy (larger campground than I expected), in August the water was so low that we went to next door South Twin Lake for boating and swimming. We weren't the only ones-- it was packed!

Great low-key, river spot

Quaint RV campground located right on the Umpqua River. Excellent spot to settle down for a few days and raft the lazy current. One piece of advice, there are some small leaches in the river to watch out for.

Great Hub for Rogue River and Crater Lake Activities

We really enjoyed a couple of nights here in September. The place was about half full. Quite clean and quiet, which was nice for us as tent campers. The hosts are friendly, and had firewood for sale. We were surprised that fires were allowed, so we were willing to pay abut $10 for an armload that lasted us for the evening. The sound of the Rogue River is so soothing.

It was great having the Rogue River trail run right past the campground. We checked out the Rogue Gorge trail, which is a short loop past some dramatic narrow sections of the river. We also walked down toward the Natural Bridge, which is an amazing spot where the river runs down into a lava tube and then emerges about 100 yards later.

It's also a pretty easy drive back up to Crater Lake, which also was pleasantly uncrowded. Over the course of three days, we did several hikes.

Internet and phone service are pretty much non-existent, which was fine. You can connect up around Crater Lake Lodge.

American Indian run, near casino

Very nice and so well maintained. Shuttle to casino. A bit close to neighbors but quiet.

Great place!

Really enjoyed our stay here this past fall. The colors were amazing!! My favorite time of year, by far. Really loved the campground. Here are a few things we liked:

• Big campsite spaces that were well separated and spaced. This is something we always like!! Trees and shrubs separated each campsite. Great trees for hammock hanging!
  • get a site by the river! Or at least we liked it. I love the sound of rushing water at night. Puts me to sleep.
  • Clean- everything was well kept and clean
  • great and friendly rangers/assistance. They directed us to some awesome hikes.
  • easy access/easy to find. Right off highway 58
  • great hiking in the Willamette National Forest. We also did some mountain biking on the Tire Miuntajn Trail.

Overall, great experience and would definitely come back!

Spacious lake side campground

Large campground with lots of dispersed campsites. Bathrooms, water, firewood, hookups, picnic tables, etc. This campground has a movie screen set up for outdoor movies. It also has big fields and is located right next to lost lake. Very pretty well maintained campground with lots of recreational activities close by!

WHAT a beautiful place!

Took the kids camping here for the first time tent camping and we had a blast. Albeit a bit dusty and rustic, we couldn’t believe how beautiful the lake view was from atop the trailheads and how spectacular the views of the pinnacle rocks were on drive down towards the lake. The campground is clean, well kept and there is bear proof boxes to keep them hybrids of your things which was reassuring and helpful. We will definitely be returning.

Minimal

Great, it is very minimalist. 2 vault toilets, no water, and if you get the right site you can't see or really hear your neighbors. Easy Access to the Brice creek trail, and the Tressel creek falls. Also there is gold panning allowed in the creek.

Great place

Very peaceful

Camping is great

The park host is nice, showers are free for campers and bathrooms are clean. $17 a night for tent no hookup $19 on weekends. Fire was allowed and there is a beautiful creek behind the campground. It's so convenient off the Interstate.

Large sites with good food & nice owners

We went to the resort instead of the forest service site because of the size of the campsite and the friendly people.

Large campground at a large high mountain lake

Large lake that does not allow motorized boats, so great for SUP and kayaking. Research the campgrounds for sites because some are not very close to the lake. There are first come sites as well as reservation only sites. There are multiple day hikes to upper lakes and a 22 mile mountain bike trail around the lake. This is protected wilderness area, soon flush toilets and spigots with potable water. The mosquitoes can be epic there, so be aware!

Great Campground near the Crater Lake Area

This is a great campground only about 45 minutes from Crater Lake National Park. It is a very large campground with spots on the river, sunny spots, spots with rock fireplaces, very large spots, a wide range of spots to choose from. There was heavy smoke from nearby forest fires and fires from California that caused a lot of people to not visit the campground, making it very quiet and relaxing for those of us who did visit. Due to the smoke, I did not visit any of the nearby hiking spots but did take a photo posted on the information board. However the park is so large with many roads and paths that just walking around the park was great. There were also several people and kids riding their bikes around, I definitely recommend bringing bikes. The small village of Union Creek at the entrance had a couple restaurants, a food truck, a general store, an ice cream shoppe, and another campground. The general store sold bundles of wood for a couple bucks cheaper then the Campground Host, and the Huckleberry ice cream at the shoppe was a perfect summer treat.

I was in spot 78. It was a large spot with the river running about 200 yards behind it. There was enough room for several tents. The path to the river, led right to a private sand bar in a slow moving part of the river. Great for families. The bathroom was also fairly close to the spot.

The cons for this spot, the water and trash were very far away. If you were filling up anything more then a water bottle you would have to drive to fill up on water. There were also only a couple locations that had trash bins making it possible to walk to, but again if you had a large amount of trash or leaking trash bag you would have to drive.

Overall I highly recommend this campground, especially the spots near 78.

Spacious quiet spot

This snowpark has a big parking area with plenty of room for trailers/vehicles. There are bathrooms and a warming shelter that has a wood stove. The park is close to Crater Lake National Park anout 10ish miles down hwy 62. Nice pretty spot that is easy to get to. No hookups and no water available do be sure to bring it.

Awesome campground

Has yurts, bathrooms and showers. Right on the North Umpqua River—. Where salmon fishing is the thing to do. Great swimming area

Lake shore site

Two weekends after Labor Day we arrived without reservations at the campground where we enjoyed a lakeside site. This is a beautifully located, well maintained campground. Hot showers are available on an honor system; donate for the time under the spray.

Most Affordable NPS Campground Ever!

It was only $5 a night to stay here! Granted there was no running water and the only toilets were plastic portable ones but to camp in the incredible Crater Lake National Park that felt like a steal! Lost Creek is tent camping only and there are no fires allowed. There's only a handful of sites that were almost full by later afternoon. The sites are separated by low brush that doesn't provide too much privacy but also keeps the campground from feeling crowded. It's a quiet campground about 3 miles from the Rim Road. Another 4 miles down the road is are the Pinnacles, super cool formations left behind when the volcano erupted 7,700 years ago.

I visited mid-September and it was very chilly in the evening and early morning when the sun was behind the mountains. I woke up to a solid layer of frost and ice in all my water. There is water available throughout the park but campers are encouraged to bring their own form outside Crater Lake so as not to put pressure on the watershed.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking one of the ranger led sunset hikes up Watchman Peak. Or, if learning about history and nature along the way isn't your thing, walking up to the peak alone.

Relatively Quiet

I arrived mid-day in the middle of the week mid-September. There were lots and lots of campsites to choose from. The campground has several loops and is the bigger of the two campground in the park. Mazama is the only RV campground at Crater Lake. There are trails right near the campground and you can walk to Annie's cafe, a small and sparse general store, and a gift shop. Water and flush toilets are available. When I was there it was very chilly all day but especially at night.

Well worth a visit!

My car and I climbed over 5,000 ft from the Oregon coast to get to Waldo Lake in the Willamette National Forest. The drive along was well worth it. There are three campgrounds at Waldo Lake and North Waldo is the largest. I didn't have a reservation and attempted to find a site in the smaller two campgrounds first but neither of them had space available. Of the almost 100 sites at North Waldo I'd estimate that about a dozen were unclaimed the second weekend of September.

The campground was definitely crowded. There were many large groups with people of all ages. There was noise until about 11pm. Be warned that it gets VERY chilly at night. There are pit toilets but when I was there the majority were closed for maintenance and had been replaced by portable toilets. There are also water spigots and each site has a sump for dish water. The majority of the sites are removed from the water and only a select few are near the lake. They all have trees between the site and the water. The campgrounds also all have boat ramps and swimming areas. In addition to the trails throughout the national forest, there is also a trail that runs around the lake and through the campgrounds.

The sunsets are not to be missed! I spent all of my phone battery taking pictures of the sunset and didn't get any of the campground…

beautiful river spot

I love camping here! Lots of trails to explore some with waterfalls, green and shaded, fish or swim in the river, lots of recreational activities nearby. Clean and well kept with spacious campgrounds. Awesome campground with full hookups, showers, picnic tables, fire pits, and a great location next to the river. Firewood available for purchase and the host was nice. Beautiful spot in the umpqua national forest.

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Campground Review:

The drive to Fish Creek Campground on the 224 (Clackamas hwy) is beautiful. You’ll be surprised by sudden breathtaking views of the river along the way while delving deeper into a sea of beautiful green trees. We chose this campsite because it is reasonably close to a few of Oregon’s most interesting hot springs and we ended up visiting Bagby during our trip. The campsite itself has everything you would expect from a somewhat remote campground including a horrifying bathroom scene (not to mention the mouse that surprised me when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night). There are a few sites with river access but ours (spot 8) was blocked from the river with a small fence. There are also a couple of yurts you can rent that include bunk beds and some advanced shelter as compared to tent camping if you have kids with you. I’d give this campsite a 3 out of 5 stars, and can promise you there are many better sites along the way if you book early. This has everything you need for minimalist camping, but be aware that you probably won’t be able to start a campfire if you visit in August/early September.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to upgrade my Tepui Kukenam 3 rooftop tent with Luxury sheets.

I chose the blue sheets to compliment my Haze Grey tent (the other option is green). I have to admit I was a little hesitant to admit that sheets could be a necessary part of camping. It is after all referred to as “roughing it” but I have to say that adding these sheets to my rooftop tent has made a huge difference. I put the bottom sheet on the first night and left it on when I folded the tent down for the night. It stayed in place perfectly, and these sheets are so much softer than the green, rough, water resistant cover that sits on the mattress by default. Now that I have these sheets I can’t imagine sleeping up there without them. I still used my sleeping bag along with the sheets and an extra blanket because it was pretty chilly at night, but the added comfort the sheets provided took my comfort to the next level. I highly recommend them to anyone sleeping in a rooftop tent!

Very short stay.

We got in at about 9:00 pm and had to leave the following morning at 8:00. The vault toilet was clean and not especially stinky. The campsite was large and very flat, with a picnic table and fire ring. There is a nice waterfall right nearby and the surrounding first is beautiful.

Beautiful!

I almost don't want to share this spot with anyone because it's so great. Been coming here my whole life. The sites are HUGE, plenty of room for multiple tents and cars. The lake is beautiful, often smooth as glass and many times the only boat out there. You do have to know the reservoir well though as there can be a lot of shallow spots, especially later on in the summer when the water is low. Do know that it is dusty and dirty here, mostly outhouses and no showers. But if you don't mind that, it is a very peaceful place… as long as everyone respects that. :)

Rustic but nice campground with bathrooms, fire pits, and potable water.

Some of the campsites are on an incline which would not be good for tent camping.

Beautiful lakefront sites

We stopped here for a quick overnight on a road trip (Labor Day weekend) and were pleasantly surprised by the gorgeous views from our lakeside tent site (spot #70) of Crescent Lake and Diamond Peak. Not all sites have views, but the forest setting is very nice. The camp host was friendly and the facilities (pit toilets) were clean. There are water spigots and grates for washing dishes.

EXTREMELY fancy and expensive RV Resort

EXTREMELY fancy and expensive RV-only park/resort affiliated with the Seven Feathers casino. RV spots only available. Nicely appointed drive-through spots on paved roads. Full hookups. Indoor clubhouse with workout area and indoor swimming pool, and obviously free shuttles to the casino. It’s as expensive as staying in a hotel. It is very nice, but it is not “camping.” It is a luxurious spot to park your RV and go to the casino.

Nice, Free Casino Boondocking for RVs

Seven Feathers Casino, not too south of Roseburg Oregon, has two nice options for RVs near their casino. First is the "RV Resort" which has an indoor pool, very nice pull-through sports, etc. and will run you around $100/night.

Or, you can follow signs to the "dry" RV camping just on the east side of the casino. As far as free casino spots go, this is a pretty nice one. No construction, not too bad for highway noise all things considered. There's even a large green grassy area if you want to get out and stretch your legs.

It's for self-contained RVs only, so make sure you have water, bathrooms etc., though you can also eat dinner or what-have-you at the casino. Maximum of five days stay. Generators are prohibited 10pm-7am, which helps keep the noise down.

Pristine, Amazing Facilities, and Expensive

Just far enough off I-5 to avoid the traffic noise, the Seven Feathers Resort is absolutely spotless, pristine, and has really nice facilities such as eating areas, an indoor pool, lobby, etc. Spots are pull-through with grass and tables in-between. The staff is also very helpful and everything is immaculate.

The only downside, however, is the cost (and the reason for about 3.5 stars). Depending on what day of the week you are there (weekends are more) the standard price can range anywhere from 99 to $169 plus tax. If you're really into casinos (the resort's main attraction), I suppose you might as well go for it. But if you're just looking for a nice place to stay, that's a lot of money for a spot off I-5 in the middle of Oregon.

As a back-up, Seven Feathers also has a "dry" RV campground, which is basically a free parking lot. Obviously not as nice, but if you're looking for a spot to sleep in an RV for a night it's one of the nicer free sports.

Beautiful Wooded Spots

Similar to nearby Princess Creek Campground, Sunset Cove Campground is part of the Deschutes National Forest and is located on Oddell Lake. They also both have docks for day-use boating, pit toilets, and generally nice, larger camp sites surrounded by trees.

Sunset Cove is a bit larger and more developed, the day use area is nicer and more accessible, and there's drinking water available. The spots on the lake at Princess Cove, however, are amazing, and I never found camp sites quite as nice at Sunset Cove.

In summary: you'll do great at either of the Deschutes National Forest campgrounds on Odell Lake. If you want slightly more developed facilities, including drinking water, go to Sunset Cove. If you want to get away from everything with an amazing spot on the water, go to Princess Creek.