the dyrt
Tillamook State Forest, OREGON
Most Recent Tillamook State Forest Camping Reviews
Sand dunes, great group sites and beach access

I spent many a year at this campground, letting the kids (who am i kidding, me) run up and down the big sand dune and play on the tree at the top! Bbqs, fires, music, ice cream down the street and fishing off the jetty. Close to Tillamook Cheese Factory.

Yurt lyfe

Good yurt I got to share with my dog

Great spot love camping in the Tillamook Oregon this camp site is very nice and well keep

The camp spots are good nice and clean but u better show up Thursday to get a good spot

Nice peaceful spot!

Oregon really doesn’t have bad campgrounds. It was raining while we were here but it’s a beautiful spot and if you’ve got an RV who cares about the rain! I really like the spots towards the back that back up to the trees and the Necanium River. They even have onsite laundry facilities and clean bathrooms/showers.

Cannon Beach Glamping

This is a really nice RV Resort right in the middle of Cannon Beach. You almost don’t feel like you’re camping. With an indoor pool, jungle gym for kids, basketball court and of course the beach down the street what more could you want. Safe, clean and a beautiful area to be in.

Great location!

For a place right in Cannon Beach this place is great. Clean and green. Beautiful landscape and you could easily walk or ride a bike to the beach a few blocks away. The spaces are a bit small so I’m not sure you’d want to bring an RV here but for tent ⛺️ it’s definitely a nice spot.

What a great KOA

We really love KOAs. This KOA is the best. It’s perfect for families because they have tons of lot of activities. The indoor pool was very clean and we enjoyed it several days. The kids played on the playgrounds and even our pup was happy with the trail walks. We visited Fort Stevens and the shipwreck on the beach and had so much fun doing it.

Small Campground With Some Spots Better Than Others

With just seven campsites, I liked the feeling of seclusion you might get similar to the dispersed sites further down the road, while still having a relatively clean pit toilet and garbage available. Kind of the best of both worlds. I also liked that it was $15 (vs the $20 of Henry Rierson nearby). It's first-come, first-served, and sites really do matter, so it's worth looking around or coming early or before the weekend to make sure you get a good one. Site #1 is literally a small turn-out on the road and worth avoiding, while other sites (like 4/5/6) are much larger, more secluded, and on the water. Sites 5 and 6 are also perfect if you have a group and want to share/go back and forth between the two sites. Site #7 is another one that's right on the parking lot and fairly small and worth avoiding if possible. I'd probably give this one a 3.5 star rating since the larger sites are nice, but not a ton to do other than hang out in/by the river.

Family Friendly and Close to Portland

Clean, nice, semi-wooded campground with plenty of water to play in and places to run around for kids. Sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and there were still a few sites available when we arrived early-ish (10 am or so) on a Saturday in June. There are both tent and RV sites on both sides of the road. The river-side has more camp sites and some are practically right on the river. There's also a smaller creek that runs through the campground that feeds into the larger, wade-able river. While I had read tons of great reviews, I think my experience overall was more "meh." Yes, the sites are pretty, clean, and the river is lovely, but it seemed a little crowed or at least that the sites were too on top of each other (though I may just being extra picky with so many other amazing campsites in Oregon). I also wasn't thrilled with the road running through the campground. With mostly pit toilets (one flush one) and no showers, I thought the $20 per night fee was slightly expensive when there were other primitive sites down the road a bit for free. Overall, worth trying one more time due to its proximity to Portland.

So cool

We stayed here and felt like it was so cool. The campground is clean, plenty of space and there was lots of historic spots to checkout. We didn’t have cell service the whole week. We had lots of bugs and fog but it’s Oregon and kinda typical lol the kids really enjoyed it and then walking the beach to check out the shipwreck too

KOA Luxury

This is a great KOA…probably the best I’ve been to. It’s very big with a lot of activity options including an indoor pool, playground and trails. Fort Stevens is right across the street and has a lot of great day activities as well. Very clean and spread out with different options for your camping experience including cabins. Cable and internet are definitely a plus!

Adventure Awaits!

Such a great place to stay on the Oregon coast! I love this campground because it’s on the coast, very beautiful and spacious. Great sites around to see including the mouth of the Columbia River. Spacious sites you can reserve and electric/water etc. There is even an area for hiker and bikers. You’re close to Astoria, Gearhart, Cannon Beach and Portland is only an hour and a half away.

Great classic state park camping!

There are two excellent lighthouses, Waikiki beach, and the north jetti of the Columbia to explore. The longer distance to awesome northern Oregon beaches isn't that bad, and there's the Longbeaxh area near by to check out as well! The little shop near the ranger station has ice cream, and I hear the local pizza place will deliver to your tent for $$$. If you have never tried them before, the yurts are worth it.

Good

Primitive, but adequate.

Sweet hike out of the Cape!

Went tent camping here in summer just for the hike out on cape Lookout. Made in with two kids and dog in about two hours and did some whale watching for about 20-30 mins. The views are spectacular from the Cape. We would definitely hike/camp here again as it was great location for some peace and adventure.

Good beach!

This spot gives great beach views. We will definitely be coming back next summer. It’s clean and well kept. The spots are big enough for us too

Ended up going during International Kite Festival!

Wow! This place was one of our favorite spots in WA. The beach access is located very close. The beach is clean and lots of fun smaller cliffs to climb on. The International Kite Festival was in town couple miles up so we walked the beach to it few days while staying. There’s a great boardwalk too if you struggle with walking on beach. The town has a array of boutiques, stores, restaurants and places just to mingle. We will definitely be coming back to this campground next year.

Great family fun!

This spot is was amazing with the family. The RV spots are a tad close to each other with not much landscaping but that’s to be expected with coastal campgrounds mostly. There was a lot of the kids to do, too. We all thought it was fun.

What a blast

We didn’t anticipate something quite this amazing! There was no cell service but that didn’t matter. The views of the ocean from most of the upper loops near the lodge/pool were breathtaking. The beach access trail was perfectly located near our camp spot and another trail up near the lodge have amazing views of Cape Kiwanda. Kids really enjoyed camping here. Kept clean, and stocked with games and things to do in clubhouse.

Great family campground

Large campground with RV sites, tent camping area, and cabins. There is a clubhouse with a pool, board games, and movies. They also have a swing set, horseshoes, beach volleyball, and mini golf. Neighbors were friendly and it was quite at night. There is also a laundry facility and we like to go to Long Beach and Astoria nearby for the markets on the weekend.

Convenience Best Trait

Out of Morrison Eddy, Henry Rierson Spruce Run, Nehalem Falls and Cook Creek, Beaver Eddy should probably be the last campground on your list. There are a couple of nice sites, with an open feel and parking area, and a good hike possibility with Cougar Mountain Road across a nearby bridge. And the water and forest views are smile-inducing. But the road is incredibly adjacent, privacy does not receive good overall marks here and there are still inconsistencies about whether it’s open or not at any given time due to nearby logging.

Cozy Squared

You walk down about three city blocks to this penisular oasis, where you’re treated to tall trees, a nice variety of sites and plenty of beautific water scenes. A marvelous tucked-away vibe with greatly reduced traffic considerations. It looked like 3-4 camping parties would be VERY comfortable where the campsites are grouped together a little away from the others, with shade and decent water frontage. Didn’t notice any major trails from the campground, but if there were this would be in the 4-5 star home on the range.

Oregon State Park at its finest

Fort Stevens State Park in Warrenton, OR is a clean and well maintained park for all levels of camping from tents to large RV’s. They even have Yurts, many which are pet friendly. There are many miles of hiking/biking trails through forest and beaches. The old fort is fun to visit . For those wanting to explore further, there is Astoria to the north and Seadide and Cannon Beach to the south. I highly recommend a visit.

Solitudity

Designated dispersal camping is a great idea - no loud neighbors within at least a couple wooded blocks between each site. You get large, open circles of bare ground at Cook Creek, each with a fire ring. The 5 sites are a tad bit off the road… good. The trees, hills and water are all luxurious. There are boulders blocking the road after site 5. You can walk around them, though presumably the road is flooded out, making the other sites unreachable. Would be interesting to explore.

All-Arounder

Henry Rierson fully earns its healthy glow. Open May 15 to September 15, this is a sprawling, versatile campground with seemingly something for everyone. I loved that there were isolated patches of campsites and day use areas on both sides of the road, a spot on the gorgeous Nehalem River perfect for exploration, a friendly and responsive camp host, a lot of different sizes and layouts of campsites, and nearby hikes, like the new Spruce Run trail and the Nehalem Bay coast jaunt that gets you communing with harbor seals. Being a bit more bashful sometimes, though, I could have used a lot more trees and more distance from roads. Trucks and engines galore. Still - get in and get out there. Henry saved you a spot.

Ranger Review: Midland X-Talker T61VP3 Walkie Talkies at Rose Creek Retreat

CAMPGROUND REVIEW

The Rose Creek Retreat is located about 2 hours northwest of Portland in Washington across from Astoria. This private campground resides on the rocky shores of the mouth of the mighty Columbia River. Nestled into the lush hillside between 2 river ghost towns, Altoona and Cottardi Station, the campground features 3 separate campsites that each offer privacy with their own unique features.

The owner, Sol, and his wife have been rehabilitating the forest on the property for several years. They have have worked tirelessly to repair the impact of logging and dumping. The couple is on a mission to create the premier boutique-style camping experience in a wilderness sanctuary and agro-forestry project. The property features lush greenery, native edible vegetation, and beautiful rose gardens all designed with permaculture in mind.

I arrived prior to the guests staying in the Rose Garden campsite and was able to get a full tour of the property. On the edge of the Columbia River, the Rose Garden site has a large mowed grassy area tucked into the hillside bordered by beautiful flower gardens with roses, fuchsias, and hellebore. The Rose Garden also features a beautiful small rustic cabin that sits next to the small babbling creek. The cabin has a phone charger, binoculars, identification books for bird watching, a full size memory foam mattress on frame, and is decorated with amazing photographs taken by Sol. As the only site that allows wood campfires, sit around the fire pit overlooking the Columbia and watch eagles dive for fish,ships sail inland, and the sun set over the mouth of the mighty river. This site also includes a picnic table and THE CLEANEST porta potty I have ever seen!

After touring the Rose Garden, we head up the road to the parking area for the Creekside Gardens and the Orchid Garden. A second very clean porta potty can be found here as well. From the parking area, head down into an enchanting forest soaking up the ambiance of sun rays peeking through the trees, the soothing chatter of the creek, and fragrance of the berry bushes and roses. Set your tent up on a bed of moss next to the creek or head up a small hill to a grassy area and picnic table that overlook the Columbia. When in season you’ll find no shortage of wild berries to forage for in the Creekside Gardens.

From the Creekside Gardens, keep heading up the hillside for a moderately steep 5-minute climb to access the most secluded campsite -- the Orchid Garden. This campsite is hidden in a forest of alders, maples, and massive ferns. Here you will find a hand-built wickiup tucked in the hillside. The wickiup even has solar lights to add to the enchanting ambiance of the forest.

The Orchid Garden is a true forest sanctuary. I enjoyed the solitude and the silence other than the leaves rustling in the light breeze. I loved being able to sit and just soak up Mother Nature’s good tidings.

In the morning, I took a short walk down the hill to sit and journal on the shores of the mouth of the Columbia River. It was the perfect nature retreat that I was looking for.

RANGER REVIEW

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am fortunate enough to try out new gear from time to time. On this trip, I tried out a pair of Midland X-Talker T61VP3 walkie talkies. Although I was heading out on a solo camping trip, I thought the NOAA weather alert feature would come in handy.

I was planning on sleeping in the wickiup but the mosquitoes in the lush forest in June were insane and very hungry! I quickly realized I would not be able to sleep in the wickiup without being eaten alive. Thankfully I had brought my tent and set it up as a makeshift mosquito net. Since the wickiup is tucked into the hillside there wasn’t a spot for my tent except partially shoved in the wickiup which in turn prevented me from putting my rainfly on. This is when my Midland radio came in handy.

I used the NOAA weather feature to check the forecast. I was relieved to hear there was a clear night without rain in the forecast. I was able to avoid being feasted on by skeeters and slept without my rainfly and without worry inclement weather.

I was very impressed with the ease of use of the radio. The weather broadcast came in crisp and clear even in the dense forest. I have used these radios on every camping and backpacking trip since. I love having access to NOAA weather broadcasts while in the backcountry. These radios also came in handy when backpacking with friends and trying to find a campsite around a crowded alpine lake. I will never go into the wilderness without these radios - whether I’m by myself or with a group these radios come in handy.

These small but mighty walkie talkies are packed with powerful features. Check out their website for all the specs and features - they have lots of radios to choose from. I know you’ll find one that fits your needs and you’ll love having these walkie talkies in your gear kit as I love mine!

Nice Tent Campground

Waling distance to beach and shopping. Bathroom and showers.

Nice Campground

Campsites are groomed and clean. Set in an old forest growth area with beautiful trees and foliage. Walking distance to beach. The women's showers could use a tad more privacy, but still worth it.

The Gateway

Agreed, the secret’s out. 80% full on the last Friday (9/14) of the season. Was featured on a TV show about 3 years ago and a popular camping book gives it a scenic rating of 10/10, though I wouldn’t go quite that high. The friendly, professional camp host told me not to write a review-“don’t do that, it’s too busy already!” So I told him I’d also write reviews of some other good campgrounds in the area, so look for-Beaver Eddy (recently closed for logging, though didn’t look like a permanent close + one roadside site was open), Cook Creek (designated dispersed sites), Henry Rierson Spruce Run (larger, more open, right off both road and Nehalem River, with good hikes right there) and Morrison Eddy (my favorite). A Tillamook State Forest Recreation Guide will show you the way. But Nehalem Falls would always work because it has the right mix of fantastic tree cover, decent vegetation between spots, a walk-in campsite area, and being right off the small but self-important Nehalem Falls, set in a picturesque curvy rock valley replete with swimming holes. The whole Nehalem River valley is gorgeous, with minimal traffic noise.

This park is Rad!

Even the breathtaking view from the highway is enough to go to Nehalem Bay State Park. The campground is nice, enough room to not feel packed in. The beach walk is steep and long, but oh so worth it! The beach is amazing…like when you all of a sudden look up and there’s the beach….it’s mind blowingly beautiful. A perfect playground for the day, and a great spot for a fire to watch the sun go down. There are also wonderful dunes to hunker down behind to have a less windy beach day. One day the wind was blowing the sand just high enough to hit unsuspecting toddlers in the face. When your not on the beach, Nehalem Bay has a very nice bike path that goes out past the bay and loops back around past the runway. Yes! A runway with small planes landing either for the day or for a weekend to fly-in-camp style! A beach day at the bay during lower tides is a must! So much sea life to watch. Birds dropping right down and grabbing fish. A seal popping it’s head out and looking at us. And a very awesome view cave dug below tree roots. That hike up is steep…but my toddler did it multiple times. It’s that cool and safe. She would scoot on her butt down then roll down towards the bottom. Nehalem Bay State Park is one extremely rad and fun park, one place that is now a yearly tradition of my family. I’m sure it will be one of your families too.