Astoria, OREGON

Most Recent Astoria Camping Reviews
Great dispersed camping

The paid camping is small and close to the road. But if you drive a little ways passed the paid camp site there is a surplus of free dispersed camping spots that are much more private and beautiful!

A Night on the Creek

We spent only one night here (approx. 45°41'49.5"N 125°44'18.1"W) in a lovely clearing featuring a metal fire ring. Sites are designated, but free for use up to 14 days. Lots of fishing accessible along Cook Creek. Road is dirt/gravel and currently ends about 3.5 miles in due to "flooding damage" which takes the form of several very large boulders blocking the way. Our intention was to go for another 1.5 miles or so, but we were very happy with the site we found. We will definitely return!

Campers beware

Not a very nice place, ok for 1-2 nights other than that, steer clear. 1.5 years experience, reason for leaving, I broke up with my ex, she gave me a 24 hour eviction notice, but actually gave me 6 hours to vacate. Then when leaving she 86'd me, because I broke up with one of her favorites, children. Talk about sketchy, I am thankful that I cannot return, that was the best things anyone could of done, and I yet to see what kind of resort that place is? No free WiFi, unlike advertised, bathrooms are locked most of the time. It was like living in a cult, we were told that if we needed police assistance, we needed to contact the office prior, why, not everything in that park is the managers business, oh and be careful what you say in or out of the trailers, because random people listen I outside of the park. I'm being very honest, when I moved here, I thought, this has gotta be what most people call the trashiest trailer park this side of the Mississippi River. Sorry I seldom had any good experiences in this park.

Favorite winter spot

We returned to this park after 4 years of missing it. It’s even better than before!!! Winter camping here is so tranquil! The multiple free shower houses are so clean. Park host are constantly sweeping and blowing debris to keep this gem gleaming! The surf and driftwood and incredible! Plus the hiking was amazing! Got to experience Clarke’s view of the pacific and was also “rewarded with a handsome view”!!!

Disappointing

The beach is lovely and this park has many spots but it wasn’t as nice as the others we’ve winter camped at this February. Showers require quarters, but are hot and clean. Most sites are just gravel and the RV section is just like a big parking lot, no privacy at all

Nice little State Park

Keeping in mind that we went during a rainy season (fall), this wasn’t a terrible place.

On the way to Mt St Helens, it is a nice base camp for exploring the area a bit, though we didn’t do much of that. I would certainly expect that we would the next trip here.

The good: Fairly Quiet. And that’s staying in the full service trailer area, which is more of a parking lot than a camp ground.

The bad: the loops are not clear on the direction of travel in this spot, and we had a fellow drag his trailer across the front bumper of my Jeep soon after I was backed in and settling the details of my placement. I’m not certain if he was traveling the correct way, but he didn’t have enough room to accomplish his mission and he definitely was traveling the opposite direction that I used to correctly back my trailer in.

Now he has a hole in his trailer which didn’t seem bother him as much as the twisted bracket on my bumper bothered me.

My brother and his wife tent camped on our site, and ended up swimming in rainwater overnight (the slope of the land didn’t help, but they have since also purchased an RV after this final tent experience).

This section also had no tree cover and was widely exposed to the elements.

I would definitely try this campground out again, but for now it was slightly disappointing.

Coming back

Beautiful, lots of amazing places to take pictures, good spots for camping.

SPECTACULAR wildlife all around

[ PROS ]

• We came during offseason (November) and camped at this State Park for 3 nights. Man, it was so amazing. It was super quiet and empty so we felt like we had the entire park to ourselves.

• A family of deer visited us every single morning/night during our stay. We definitely didn't try to interact with them, but they were comfortable to roam right around our site which was a really magical experience

• Nehalem Bay is such a beautiful area and the State Park is nestled in lots of beautiful, lush greenery. There are lots of birds, plants, and other wildlife to observe. We loved hearing coyotes yapping in evenings from the campground.

• It's very peaceful and serene here. It's right by the beach and an easy walk to the coast. We also got to visit Manzanita for a little day trip and had lunch out there. Such a cute little coastal town worth checking out.

• Free hot showers and really nice restrooms. I'm starting to realize that Oregon State Parks are SOOO much superior to California State Parks. The amenities at all the Oregon campgrounds I've visited are wonderful. We definitely got spoiled by camping in Oregon that it will be hard going back home to California

• Very close to stores, restaurants, and gas stations if you need to pick up supplies.

[ CONS ]

• While it was a beautiful campground, the sites are rather small and close together. We obviously didn't experience this campground when it's crowded, but I can imagine how packed it would feel.
Stumbled upon a yurt

We didn’t have a reservation for the campground the afternoon we decided to stop in July. To reserve a yurt typically requires a minimum of two nights. We were fortunate to get a yurt (number 7) for one night in July as a walk in. The ranger was shocked as they are usually sold out months in advance. There is a fire pit and picnic table outside each yurt. The flaps on the windows can be rolled up and down to adjust the airflow. The bathhouse is within walking distance but showed full quickly in the morning. This was a nice park with several things to see and do. Would stay here again if in the area.

Our Favorite State Park

Yes it can be busy but we love it here. We mainly come weekdays & off season. The camp ground is clean and the beach is lovely. We like that you can walk into Manzanita or bike. It’s quite. On second thought, don’t come here😉