the dyrt
About Paulina Lake Lodge
Lodge located on the shores of Paulina Lake in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument.
Sites
National Forest
Paulina Lake Lodge is located in Oregon
Directions
From Bend go south 23.5 miles on Hwy 97 to Road 21. Take Road 21 east for about 12.9 miles. From La Pine go north 5 miles on Hwy 97 to Road 21. Take Road 21 east for about 12.9 miles.
9 Reviews of Paulina Lake Lodge
Awful Customer Service

I am floored by the customer service at this lodge. My friends and I visited this winter and will not be returning again after a series of issues with our stay.

After visiting, I received a brief email from Karen Brown saying that we had damaged their new table in the Bluebird cabin. Throughout this entire month, I have requested over six times for a picture, as wanted to see what damage she was referring to. I have called and emailed and talked with other staff to please see the damage, and I never heard back. They charged me the labor and damage without even letting me see what it looked like.

Additionally, we had some lights not working, smoke detectors chirping, and a large container of diesel, which was unmarked, resting right near the wood burning stove. We did not realize this until one of the employees had to come to help us out with the stove, as there were no directions, and let us know how dangerous it was that it was sitting right there. We felt pretty alarmed, as we hadn't moved the container upon our arrival and we did not know it was diesel as the container had nothing written on it.

I have stayed up in the crater for three years now and have used Paulina Lake's cabins for two of them. I'm feeling pretty put out by our latest visit there particularly with this charge and lack of information given to us upon our arrival. I loved visiting here, but I will not be doing so anymore.

So magestic

Nice spot for families and kids! Good fishing and great way to have fun!! Nice calming spot!

Clean park, helpful rangers, need more gray water dumps. Beautiful lake.

The main boat ramp has a lot of lake grass and floating snails. Kind of weird when getting into my kayak, but was fine once you get into the actual lake….you don’t get tangled in. Lake was beautiful and clear…could almost always see the bottom. The park was very clean, and felt restful and quiet. Large spaces. Clean bathrooms, but no showers. Would have to go next door to East Lake for that. Needs more gray water dump areas, I noticed. Loved it there. Would definitely go back again, but would want a lakeside spot. We were next to the main road in the back, but heard ZERO traffic. I just like seeing the water, so would like lakeside. Loved the little chipmunks! The Paulina Falls were beautiful…a bit of a short hike down to them and back up from the parking lot….and can hike there from the campgrounds, not very far. The Obsidian Flow area was very close, and well worth doing. To hike to the top, wear good shoes and long pants. Very easy to accidentally cut yourself on the sharp obsidian rocks. Need sure footing toward the top, but trails are clear. Beautiful views, and you’ll be in awe of how big this natural area is, and how it happened.

A great hike in with hot springs

We back packed into Paulina Crater from a camp ground further out which ended up being a 12 mile hike in. From there we found cleared site on the west side of the west lake which had beautiful views of the volcano itself. From there the next day you can hike to the north side of the lake for the hot springs which are hand dug out. If you really want some services there is a camp site on the east side of the west lake and in the east lake there is some boating and services. Beautiful place would love to go back.

Very noisy campground

We did come on a weekend and it was packed. We had planned on staying at East lake and ended up snagging the last spot here. Of the major campgrounds around the lake paulina is my least favorite. Great if you are there to fish, nice boat dock area, many of the site are big enough for boats, rvs, trucks. Bring ear plugs if your a light sleeper. Right at dawn all the loud diesel trucks start up and head out to fish. The bathrooms where kept clean and stocked our entire stay. The camp host was helpful and knew the area. There was a shortage of firewood though. This is the one campground that does not have a good swimming area. Kayaking and boating is a great start point. For swimming I would head to little crater day use area or better yet up to east lake it has a better beach. The water is warm and there is so much to do in the area.

In the heart of Newberry!

Beautiful campsite on the lake. I love Newberry Caldera. Lots of cool hikes around. Cool lakes you can hike or paddle around to hot springs. Quieter than some of the areas in Bend.

Beautiful lake hikes, beware of bugs

This campground has the most beautiful location. Right along the lake which is a collapsed volcano. There are plenty of hikes nearby that go into the woods and also all around the lake. Just be aware of what time you go. We stayed in late June and the bugs were terrible. Make sure to plan for a later season stay or bring a head net with you.

Beautiful lake

We decided to tag along last minute to Paulina lake. We where able to get in with no reservation. The campground is huge and beautiful. Easy access to the lake. Small hike all over the place. Nice big camp spots. Bathrooms are ok.

Viewpoint

Far enough away from the big city to have low crowds - in fact, we were the only ones there in September. The gates were open. Not a ton of trees, which mean more stars. Medium lake adjoining, lots of lakes (one with a hot spring) nearby. Across the highway was a drive up to a fantastic viewpoint from Paulina Peak - three Sisters, Hood and more.