The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Tarboro , NORTH CAROLINA

Camping North Carolina Tarboro Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Tarboro Camping Reviews
Beauty in the Quiet

This was my first trip to Goose Creek State Park, but it certainly won’t be the last. We stayed in the new RV campground, and it couldn’t have been more perfect. Large sites, a fire pit, and because we were there off season — very few fellow campers!

The staff was super nice, the restrooms were very clean and quite new. The trails were well maintained and well marked. Some features were closed due to Covid restrictions (the swim beach for example), but it didn’t lessen the experience at all.

Good People !

Decent Campground

My daughter needed to move out of her dorm at ECU and this was the closest campground that had a site available over Labor Day weekend. We were happy to be as close to her as we could get, and we appreciated being able to stay at this campground for 2 weeks.

This KOA is taking COVID serious, so during check-in they had us stay in the vehicle and call the office. A couple of minutes later, someone came out with paperwork and directed us to site number 2. When I got out to check the site, I noticed there was no sewer hook-up, so I asked one of the grounds crew guys who was nearby. He told me I was not on a full hook-up site.

I was pretty sure I had booked full hook-up because we planned to be there for 2 weeks, so I went to the office and asked. The owner proceeded to give me a lecture by about how I need to be more careful when booking on-line because their computer showed I only needed power and water. I asked the owner why he thought I would book a site with no sewer, if I planned to be there for 2 weeks. I had more I wanted to say about his attitude, but I bit my tongue because this was the only campground near where we needed to be. Fortunately, they had a full hook-up site available, so I was able to pay a few dollars more a night to ensure a comfortable stay. When I asked which site I was going to, the dude wouldn't answer me. Thinking he hadn't heard me, I asked again and he huffed. Then he said, "Don't worry about it, just follow my sister and she'll take you to the site." Again, I bit my tongue.

The sister took us to site 25 and after she gave us instructions concerning their very specific traffic pattern, she said, "I'm sorry about my brother." After reading other reviews of this campground, I'm pretty sure that was not the first time, and won't be the last time, she had to apologize for her brother's rudeness.

When we got to the site, we were happy to see it was extra long, so there was plenty of parking for the truck, the rig & my wife's car. The site was relatively level and the water and power were well maintained, clean & easy to access. The sewer hook-up, on the other hand was not ideal, as the pipe was nearly touching the leg of our neighbor's picnic table. I checked and sure enough the site on the other side of us had their sewer pipe right next to our picnic table. That said, the gnats were so bad at the campground that we didn't spend much time outside, so we barely noticed our neighbor's sewer line.

Cell service was excellent, which was good because WiFi was not ideal. They have satellite internet, so it was slow and barely accessible. They gave us passcodes for two devices, and the code is good for 3 days. So if you are there longer, you need to request additional codes.

The campground had one section for people who are there for extended stay - mostly construction workers doing nearby highway work. They were quiet and did not bother anyone. The rest of the campground was used by people passing through. The campground is close to I95 (there was no highway noise), so we seemed to have new neighbors every night.

All things considered, it was a decent campground and met our needs. I am not sure I would stay here for an extended time again, but if you're passing through or looking for a weekend getaway, the Enfield KOA will work.

A decent place to stay

I found this to be a decent campground . I stayed at tent site 12. The site was slightly uneven but it had a fire ring with grate, lantern pole and table. The tent pad was gravel. Water pump, trash and bathroom all in very close proximity. The bathroom was clean and hot showers. Lots of families with children. There are many hiking trails but many were unavailable due to flooding. Trail from campground to picnic area and large grassy field used for relaxing, frisbee and picnics. Phone service spotty at times but not totally unavailable. Overall a decent place to stay.

I'll definitely be back

Very well maintained. Stayed at primitive site 11 to be close to the water but it's a little too close to another site (luckily I was the only one in the circle of sites). I'll probably choose a lower number next time. Bathroom was clean. It was very quiet the night I stayed. Absolutely perfect! I'll definitely be back!!!

As expected

We made reservations online, got there Tuesday and left Thursday. We stayed at site 7 in the primitive tent camp ground. It was well shaded and not right on the road. The boardwalks and beach are closed, but at the end of the primitive campground (if you are staying there, only) you can access the Pamlico River and Goose Creek.

The toilets were clean, and the camp site was clean. The have have firewood available in the primitive section just before sites 5 and 6, it’s $5 per milk crate, but bring cash and exact change. The rangers drive through regularly if you need anything.

There wasn’t anyone near us and only one other occupied campsite while we were there so it was really peaceful. No issues with cell service from AT&T.

All in all, it’s your basic primitive camp site. We plan to return, and will probably try to stay closer to sites 12, 13, or 14 since they are closer to the dock and water.

If you have small children there’s not much they can do (we didn’t go to the visitors center) so be sure to bring things to occupy them.

Goose Creek State Park - RV Camping

The RV park has full hook up which is wonderful. All the amenities are close together and accessible. We have stayed in some state parks where the water is literally 100' away! The bath house is heated which is really nice when going after dark. The shower water saver is ok but the water temperature from night to night is inconsistent; it ranges from tepid to really warm. The campsites are all setup on gravel and are fairly level. We got a good bit of rain while we were there but it didn't flood our site. The picnic tables are a heavy plastic so unlike the wooden at other campsites, should last a long time. The park grass is being allowed to grow to fill in the sandy area. The grass around the camping area is cleared. The camp roads are asphalt and great for walking and biking. The spacing between the RV sites is also good because they are spacious and setup in such a way you are not looking left at your neighbors window and he's looking at the neighbor beyond that! A short distance further into the campground are the'primitive' camps. Shortly after we stopped at the parking area, we were told by a park ranger to stay out of the rustic camp area. No explanation was given. The park has trails on the primitive side, a small dock for launching kayaks and canoes and a small beach area. None are allowable/accessible to the RV camper. From the water, later that day, we did see a small crowd gathered around a tent and being very boisterous. They were camped within feet of the water. Many RV campers were like ourselves, avid kayakers or canoers. Although a short drive(7 miles) to Dinah's Landing, it's still a drive. Go too late in the morning and parking will be an issue. We launched off of a sandy little beach area and had many options for exploration. Go far enough back and the real world will eventually disappear and it will be just you and nature. In the area surrounding the campground there are no local stores/gas stations available. We wanted to purchase some firewood but were unable to locate any closeby. There is a Food Lion and a Walmart located in Washington about 9-10 miles away as well as some food options if you don't want to cook. I think like any campground, there is room for improvement. Maybe, since the RV sites are so new, there will be new amenities coming in the next year. We sincerely hope for the RV side, access to the water is created. We have stayed there twice and appreciate the solitude just not having to drive to load/unload our kayaks just to get in paddle time.

Primitive camping

We did primitive camping, and they were way nice, very spread out and the kids brought their bikes and that's what they did most of the time, and we felt like it was safe enough for them to go bike riding. There was a place where we could put off on a kayak or go fishing

They have little cabins that are not too expensive either that have air and heating, if we go in the summer again we will probably do those

The only thing we mentioned was it would not be very fun if you went with a group because the places were so spread out and where not big enough to have more than one tent each

The bathrooms did not have running water, but they do a composting type of toilet and it did not stink at all and they were always very clean.

Great trip despite the flat tire!

Great trails and hikes

The tar trail was a lot of fun for my kids to run and get some energy out! The educational center was great and had so many interactive activities.

ECU drop-off

We dropped off our daughter at ECU in August and needed a place to stay, and this was the closest campground with sites available. ECU is less than 30 minutes away, so it was convenient.

My dog and I arrived a couple of days before my wife and daughter because hurricane Isaias was on its way. Unfortunately, the storm hit hard and the campground lost power for two full days. When my family arrived, the power was still out and it was unbelievable hot and humid, so we ended up having to get a hotel nearby.

The owners and staff were super friendly and accommodating, and they tried their best to ensure my comfort and safety during the storm. The campground could use some updates, but it was adequate and met my needs. I read complaints concerning the roadways in the campground, but any experienced driver will have no issues navigating throughout the camp.

My experience was not ideal because of the storm, hence the 4 stars. But we will try again the next time we are in the area visiting our daughter at school.