Dortches, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Dortches Camping Reviews
Great layover

Pull through spots that make overnight, or even a couple day, stays very easy. Full hook ups. Clean. Even though just off the highway, very quiet. Easy access to amenities and provisions if required, or preferred. Affordable.

Wonderful !

Had a great time! Some of the sites are right on the water allowing for camping and kayaking. Sites are large to accommodate two tents and two vehicles nicely. Bathrooms are what you would expect but clean. Some sites further back (not water side) have trees for hammocking. The trees near my site (122) did not have adequate trees for hammocking. I will absolutely be back.

(The only thing you will contend with is occasional air traffic noise from RDU. If you’re sensitive consider bringing earplugs for your comfort.)

Great campground!

We spent one night here in April. It was great!

There are some pretty easy hiking trails, great for kids. Really beautiful wooded area. The campground was everything you could ask for! Large, level sites that are very secluded and far apart from each other. Bathrooms were clean and well situated. Very family-friendly!

We want to come back soon!

Beautiful views

We stayed at site 21 on the satterwater loop. It was a little steep for a roof top tent but we made do backing the truck in! The water was shockingly warm for October and the kids got their feet in! Highly recommend this area for families. A large field for the kids to run around play catch and a small play ground. My only complaint is late into the evening walking to the bathroom the one way road was fairly busy with a lot of big trucks and campers

Excellent

Excellent place, clean, friendly, nice boat access, great beaches, highly recommend

Amazing

Had a great 2 nights here ! Can’t wait to come back!

Great for the family

Nice park, lots of room for fishing, swimming and relaxing with the family. Clean facilities and awesome staff. Not recommended for anyone looking for solitude.

So quiet and relaxing

Falls Lake State Recreation Area is huge, with seven access areas (4 of which offer camping).  We stayed at Holly Point, which offers both tent and RV camping on large, wooded lots.  Our campsite, 57, backed up to a finger of Falls Lake for fishing.  It was just a short walk to a clean swimming beach.  Best of all, it was a great place for the kids to explore!

Sites had their own trash cans.  A nice grocery store, some gas stations, and some restaurants were just a short drive out of the park.  We'd love to return.

Cool place to explore

We had a great weekend camping here with our cub scouts in the Shinleaf group camping area. We had about 40 people and had plenty of room to spread out over three camping sites, Osprey Nest, Blue Heron and Bootleg point. The bathrooms were within easy walking distance. Lots of shade to put tents up under. Plenty of picnic tables and fire rings. The Park Rangers came by a few times and we bought some firewood from them. They were very friendly and helpful.

The area is cool to explore, there are several points on the lake you can easily hike to. There are boaters who use the lake mostly during day, even a few at 6:30am!

We even found a cool Northern watersnake eating a fish on the shoreline.

Good Campground for RVing but not so much for Tent Camping

This campground is one of the two listed at Falls Lake State Recreation Area, and I chose it because of its good reviews. The“primitive” area is Loop C, which means it does not have water or electricity at the sites. However, the sites do have picnic tables and lantern hangers. There are no designated tent pads, but you are instructed to set your tent up on the gravel. Unfortunately, the campground has flooding problems in the Loop C sites when it rains, and it started raining after I set up my tent. After thirty minutes of rain, my tent was standing in at least an inch of water, and there was nowhere else to move it. I ended up abandoning my tent to stay in the back of my SUV. The next morning, I looked at the other sites in Loop C, and they were also flat, which meant that it didn’t matter which site I chose. That is one of only two drawbacks that I saw in this campground. The other drawback was the nose from jets overhead from the RDU International Airport. It wasn’t noticeable at night(that may have been because of the pouring rain and the thunder), but during the morning, it was constant. My advice is not to stay in Loop C if it is going to rain. A raised tent pad would have prevented my tent from being flooded. The bath house is especially nice for a state park(state recreation area). The shower doors are a little narrow, except for the handicapped shower, but there is hot water. There are electrical outlets in the bath house as well, which I used to charge my cell phone. Other features about this campground include swimming beaches, a marina, canoe/kayak rentals, at least two fishing piers, a couple of playgrounds, and a store. The Mountains to Sea Trail passes through this park, and there are several other short trails as well. Overall, this campground is pretty good if you are in an RV or if you are in a tent and it is not going to rain.

Small but lots to do

This is probably our favorite thus far. We like the lake and it’s easily accessible. We’re weren’t right on the water but can see the lake from the camper. It contains putt putt, pool, store, 2 beaches, dock, fishing areas, playground, and tons of shade. We’ll be back!

Nice lake views

Limited sewer hook up. Some sites uneven. Pull through sites available. Staff was wonderful. Stocked camp store, small grill, but great food.

Beautiful sites

First come first serve and we got a beautiful site overlooking the lake. The staff and manager are the friendliest ever. Would definitely come here again

Fun and educational

So much fun to camp here. They had a controlled burn of the Holly Hill Loop In February. It was really neat and educational to see the charred bottoms of the trees. The lake is beautiful and great for kids. We will be going back!

Great family site for lake-side camping

We stayed in sites 20 and 21 and they are are sloped, which makes tent placement a bit tricky but doable. Each of these two sites have rocky shore lines, which makes paddle-up camping a bit challenging but again, it’s doable. Sites 18 and 19 have beach fronts that are sandy and a bit more secluded from the main lake. There are common area spigots with fresh water and several lined trash cans shared between sites. There is room at each site to park at least two cars if not 3 and there are fire rings and composite picnic tables too. Sites are fairly close to one another so you’ll be about 25 yards from your neighbors in most sites. We reserved two sites to have a buffer…$23 a nite it’s worth the extra space.

We paddled into this site from Nutbush recreation area, and it was just about 4 miles one way. Nice little kayak camping trip.

It’s mostly families camping and was fairly quiet after about 11pm.

I would do it again but I think a bit of a flatter site would be better. There is also a boat marina about 1.8 miles south of this camp site in the event you bring gas powered watercrafts and need to fill up.
The photos from the lake’s shore were taken from site #20 with a shot looking left and one looking right.

Fantastic underused sites

Fantastic sites with community showers and toilets in loop c where we stayed poop a and b have electric and water at each site. Lots of easy hiking trails , fishing piers , playgrounds , picnic areas and swimming beaches . You can also get to the water with a quick stroll through the woods.

Great weather for our trip.

We love this campground . Nice big sites and level , plenty of swimming areas around the lake.

Not the best I’ve been to

This campground is in an okay location. There is not much to do in the surrounding area and the only thing that I remember them really having to offer is a swimming pool. They had little paddle boats and stuff on the water but I’m not sure if they get used. You can’t swim in the water because it is just too nasty. The tent site we were given was awful. It is very stumpy and bumpy throughout the entire campground. Lots of roots and tree limbs. May have been the worst camping experience of my life.

Quiet beauty on the water

Hibernia is the lesser know campground on Kerr Lake since it is located more off the popular travel route. There are only a few sites with hookups. Most sites are tent and dry camping. Whether you have water frontage or woods, the sites are large and private. Our waterfront site had its own little beach where we could swim and launch our kayak. When we camped in the woods, the other campers were well spaced. The park staff dropped by every few days just to visit and share information. It was so peaceful. Lots of hiking and biking too. Great place for families since there is so much to do.

Nice

Stayed here a few times for over nighters. Nice big sites nice pool area friendly people

So Much Adventure

The camp site was great. I had a pull thru site that provided more than enough space. Two cars and a camper could easily park in the drive, while a pop-up shelter and a tent also had plenty of space to not feel overly crowded. The swim beach was a half mile hike away through the mountain to sea trail. I opted out of swimming on July 4th due to crowding, but the next day was perfect. Soft sand covered the beach and warm yet comfortable water temperatures allowed for a refreshing dip or just relaxing on a float. The fishing piers were great too. The public access one had a bit of wear, but that didn’t stop a variety of fish from biting. We also watched graceful herons and playful aquatic turtles hunting for there dinner as we fished. The marina looked fabulous, but due to pop up storms we didn’t get to launch our kayaks. The bath houses were reasonably clean for a holiday weekend. Park rangers regularly monitors the site, so we felt very safe. I would recommend this location to anyone who loves adventure.

Nice camp great for mountain bikes

Nice sites and great for mountain bikers

Great Lake camping with star gazing

This is a nice campground that is run by N.C. state parks and recreation. It seems to be less populated than some of the other state park hot spots, as in I was able to reserve a lake front spot for Friday the Tuesday before the trip. It does get dark enough there that you could see the Milky Way. I would have loved to share a picture but I was too relaxed just looking up at the stars. Many sites are lake front and you can choose between more lake shore/beach like camping or wooded lake camping. The large bathhouses are nice with large showers and the small toilet houses are less new but not bad, and allow you to never be too far away from a toilet. Both bathhouses and toilet buildings are in there own field so you do not end up being that campsite stuck right beside the bathhouses with random people walking through your site trying to find the trail in the middle of the night. Over all I would say it’s a great place to runaway to.

Decent

Stayed the weekend of the airshow, quiet and accessible to the BX/Commissary but CAC ID required for campground and other base amenities. We also enjoy the gym and bowling alley, planning to come back to see movies at the base theatre. All are of these are pretty close to the campground. Improvements I recommend: -Allow patrons to make reservations, first come first serve has deterred us in the past and likely others.

• the campground would benefit to have a playground
  • some of the cleaning/maintenance seemed to be neglected, our sewer drain had an issue and it did not seem to be a new problem.

The price is good though, with that in mind I'd say that it's a decent/average military campground.

Meh

The list begins. Camp sites were alright but this place is more for RVs. Hiking was not bad but not very many miles. Outside the park was sketchy so make sure you have all you need.

Perfect overnight

All the amenities and friendly staff Got us in ASAP Easy access off 64

Very Nice

Very well kept! Just stayed the night.

Lake access and large spots

Wide spots are easy to get in and out of even with more than one vehicle. Some spots are doubles so camping with friends is very easy. The hiking trail to the boat launch is the the shade but lots of bugs! Nice swim areas. We arrived mid week and it was not crowded, the weekend filed the campground but everyone was pleasant. I would highly recommend and will be coming back!

Small but lots to do