The best TENT SITES camping near
Springville , MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent Springville Camping Reviews
Amazing

We come here every so often and I absolutely adore this place.

Boating, Fishing, and Walking

Our visit (3/6/21-3/9/21) falls during a busy school vacation week. We are on the water at Site 74. The site is small, without trees, and very close to site 73, offering no privacy. Some larger sites have trees, and offer water access. The water along this stretch of the Tombigbee Waterway is very shallow and even kayaks can run aground in the mud.

The walk from the campground to the picnic area offers a quiet (~ 2 mi round trip) and views of the lock and dam.

A Tombigbee View

Our 3/3/21-3/6/21 stay at Site 60 provides easy access to a fishing pier, walking paths and enjoyable sunsets. Sites are a comfortable size and located with adequate forrest canopy that provides shade for most. We enjoy several afternoon paddles on this stretch of river.

Outside the campground entrance the Underground Railroad Bicycle Trail goes along the road and continues to the lock for walking and peddling.

The locals like it - and that’s a plus

This is the first campground we have stopped at this week that had more than one other camper. I’d guess they were 70% full.

Most of the folks we met were local, here for a weekend away and outdoors. Lots of families with kids. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming.

The camp host came by just to say hi and see if we had questions.

We had decent phone service, but slow at times.

Some spots had good shade, some didn’t. Many backed up to the water and none were a far walk from water access either bank or dock.

Only 4 miles from the Natchez Trace. Not sure what amenities are available in nearby Houston, but Pontotoc had plenty of provisions. Not super close, but doable.

The lake itself - muddy brown water and not too much to look at it. But in fairness, it still is winter.

Looked like primarily a fishing lake, but I don’t hold a MS fishing license, so I didn’t try any.

Abounds in charm and hospitality

My stay won't likely be like yours. First, I drove in while Mississippi was under a blanket of snow. All the roads in Holly Springs and the rest of the state were treacherous with packed snow and ice following a week of unseasonably frigid weather across the southern midwest.

That said, the 2 rangers working at Wall Doxey went out of their way to set me up with a parking place in the practically empty campground, putting me in the youth camp, finding me an extension cord to hook up to power and allowing me access to the group camp for a bathroom and shower.

This was necessary because many areas were either in the middle of renovation, inaccessible or out of service due to frozen pipes. To say these ladies went out of their way to get me situated is an understatement. They were heroines!

The camp has loads of retro charm. A big mid-century lodge, picnic area, swimming lake, frisbee golf and a 2 mile hiking trail around the lake. I enjoyed a walk thru the snow and the comfort of having a safe and caring place to stay during my trip through Mississippi.

I suspect it will be the same for you even if your visit is under far different circumstances.

Peaceful, nice and clean

Had been wanting to try this campground out for a year. We decided last minute to make the trip this weekend. Super nice park host! Bathrooms were A+++ clean! No showers due to covid. Loved that almost all spot were right at the water edge. Literally. All types of birds to watch. Squirrels too. The walking path is about a quarter mile down to a spot where people fish. Many people boating and fishing. Can’t wait to come back but some sites had already been booked for next week. Seems like this is a very popular place. I do see why!

I cannot recommend this campground.

We used this campground as an overnight on our way to Arkansas, was going to stay on the way back but cancelled due to our experience the first night.  Roads inside the campground were atrocious, required dodging tree limbs and holes. The entire campground seemed run down, camp host site looked like a seasonal site.  Site was fairly level with 30amp electric and water.  There is a dump station, but I refused to use it as it was flooded.  Bath house was adequate but very dated and not well maintained.  The main thing I disliked was the feeling of insecurity, the site behind us had some unsavory folks as did some other sites.  I'll not bother with this campground again.

Quiet weekend campsite

This is somewhat of a rustic hidden gem! It’s off the beaten path, so it wasn’t very busy. The sites at the end with the lake view are nice. There is only one bath house, so it’s kind of a far walk from some of the sites. The boat ramp is very close by.

I am giving this one 3 stars because the bathroom was absolutely disgusting!! There appears to be a permanent resident in the campground that I assume is the camp host. Would be nice if they attended to the bathroom more often. Hopefully it was a fluke. Also, the dump station has been blocked by a massive mound of gravel. Not sure what they are planning to do with it.

Nice CG in the woods

Stayed here last year for New Years. Came to ride the lake bottom in our SXS. Campground was very clean. Bathhouse was clean. Park host at the time were pretty nice. Just fill out all of your paper work when you put it on the pole and they won’t bother you. Also if you are wanting to ATV ride, the do not allow you to have them off of the trailer in the park. Overall a fun weekend. Was going to go back once the lake fills up this summer.

Nice quit camping

Good place to get away for a weekend