Spring Hill , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Spring Hill Camping Reviews

This was a nice campground and great hiking.

Our maiden voyage

Really friendly folks, nearby beach, close to lakes and clean, had a lovely time. Close access to state parks and boating.

All hike in + 1 camper cabin

Spots were nice small. Dirt ground and tent pad. Each site had a fire ring and picnic table as well as a food box (we’re assuming) most sites fairly visible from the trail but not all. Bathrooms near by clusters of sites but did not appear to have toilet paper so you gotta bring your own.

Good experience, but be prepared if you're a novice backpacker like me!

I chose Lake Maria for a solo camping excursion because it was close to the Cities, but still offered the level of seclusion I wanted. I am not new to camping, but haven't been in a few years, and never solo.

I chose B6 because, on the MN DNR Reservation website, it said it was a .25 mile hike. Every other campsite was a mile+. Since I was getting back into the groove of camping, I made this choice so I'd have an easier time, especially because I'm no so active anymore working from home during a pandemic!

Well, let me tell you, it was definitely a mile or so hike from the parking lot to B6, despite what the website said. That's why I'm rating 4 stars instead of 5. I was ill-prepared, and I spent most of my time making trips back to the lot to get water and firewood from my car than exploring the park. Part of this is my fault for not having a big enough water jug and things like that, but I genuinely think the website was deceiving. Maybe there's another path or place to park that's quicker that I don't know about? Regardless, listen when people say all the sites are about a mile, because they're right!

Now, onto the positives:

• My site was secluded, but still fairly close to the road and group camp sites. I could hear people at the group camp because they were pretty loud, but if they weren't it would have been very quiet. I didn't run into too many people in general. Even though I could hear cars going down the road and it was a short jaunt to it through the woods, it was not distracting from the scenery.
  • It wasn't excessively buggy like some say- I was fine in my short sleeves and leggings with some backwoods bug spray! (It did get worse the day after it rained, but that's to be expected.)
  • Lots of mushrooms in the woods! I'm not great at identification, but I am fairly certain I saw some golden chanterelles and other treats. (Don't take my word for it, though!)
  • B6 is on a pond, which was gorgeous. A bit steep getting to it, but nice to sit on the edge and look at the many frogs and turtles! (Blanding's turtles, which are endangered!)
  • Lots of wildlife sounds you definitely don't get to hear in the city!
  • Trails were well-marked and trodden, though not totally level.
  • Firewood was available at the office (self-pay).

All in all, I will certainly come back here, but a bit more prepared for the hike to and from the sites. You can't beat the level of solitude you get here considering how close it is to the metro.

Woodland oasis close to Mpls

This is a fantastic park. No views or anything, just miles of thick forest. A million and one birds. Backpack site 4 is 3/4 of a moderately hilly mile from the parking lot (there is more than one lot at the park). There's a long footpath (like a driveway) off the hiking trail, so it's an extremely private site. The trees form a canopy over the circular site. You can cut through a few feet of grass to the lake/marsh.

It is a low lying site in a park with a lot of water, so be prepared for more bugs than your average MN campsite in the summer (and that's really saying something!). No bugs for our trip this May, but we come here often.

Excellent for a long weekend

Camped here for a long weekend with friends. The camp is well kept and right on the river. Plenty of well developed trees and you are within city limits for activities with the family. We enjoyed time fishing and paddle boating on the nearby waterways

Nice and clean, but wind was terrible

We had a great site with plenty of room for my large family. The campground was clean and nice with plenty of area for the kids to explore. The strong wind off the lake made fishing from shore nearly impossible. Only one dock was in the water, but the kids loved the beach.

Loved the beach!

Swimming was great! Cute little store by the beach. Sites we’re pretty close together but it was still an enjoyable time!

Mt Tom and new beach area

We thoroughly enjoyed the hiking trails here. Plenty of space to socially distance. Equestrian camping area is nice and plenty of horse trails too. The biggest hit for me was the newly remodeled beach area on Lake Andrew. Plenty of space and a nice “fishing” pier to hang out at. They rent kayaks there too!!

Back pack campers beware

This is one of the best camping state parks I’ve ever been to. One bit of advice if you haven’t been to the backpacking camp sites here. Buy a cart. We made way too many trips back and forth and less time enjoying the amazing state park. The trails are well maintained. The camp site was clean and secluded from other sites.