The best GROUP camping near
Big Falls , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Big Falls Camping Reviews
Remote and Absolutely Gorgeous

This state park is in my top favs. It’s quiet and remote and there’s a lot to explore. We stayed at a remote watercraft site, accessible only by water so that was thrilling!

The landscape here is fun, with the huge peninsula jutting out into the lake, makes for fun canoeing/kayaking with many little areas to explore, and a couple little islands!

The site itself had a rustic log shelter built in it overlooking the lake, very cool.

The Chase Point peninsula is a great hike and has a little boat landing area at the tip of it to so you can start from either end.

Scooped out Chase Point campground though we didn’t stay in it - sites spaced well, quite wooded. Water and toilets spaced out well too, very accessible from anywhere in the park.

Very cool feature is the little boardwalk with docks along Coon lake and campground edge - makes for easy access to park your kayak or canoe and just a fun little morning walk or place to view sunset over the lake. So charming!

Scenic is definitely the word to describe this park!

Backpack campsite 1

Was hear earlier in summer—not in October as review date states.

Easy 1.5-2 mile hike in. Bring big spray as mosquitos can be bad

There is a bear locker, pit toilet, and a shelter on site. This site is very private.

There is no real way to get down to the pond at the bottom of the camp site.

The trails here are nice for hiking but they aren’t extensive and won’t keep you entertained long. The real reason to come here is for water sports on the main lake. Unfortunately during Covid the rentals weren’t available.

Bring a saw to get firewood—you don’t want to lug the wood on with ya.

Quiet lakeside camping

Electric sites, central water spigot at entrance. Dump station and water fill in Northome ($10). Fishing dock and boat launch. A lot of mosquitoes during our July stay.

Cute walk up only campsite

No prior reservations taken here, but easily found a spot on a Thursday afternoon in late August. Good privacy between sites, trees everywhere. Water was available and seemed to be just fine.

Primitive site, so fire ring, picnic table, vault toilets, trash cans provided. Also a nice day use area boat dock right on Lake Kabetogama with plenty of parking for your boat trailer.

Little Gem By A Lake Completely Empty

I was driving by and I saw a CAMPGROUND sign, so I thought I check it out. It is labor day weekend and it is completely empty. There is self-check-in with an envelope, there are only 13 sites electric. I believe the other side is better for tents. It's right on a small lake with a boat ramp, you can kayak here.

I am completely shocked to find this little gem, it was not on any map, that is why I believe it is empty. It belongs to the town Northome.

They have a nightly price which is $14 and a weekly price is $70 for seven nights. The sites are kind of closed to one another but since it was empty, I had it all for myself.

Boat in

A very unique park. All sites are boat in. Many houseboat sites for private and rented houseboats and many many family sites for tent camping. Sites are a mix of dock, beach, and rock access and are labeled on the Voyageur National Park Camping map. Sites are located on all lakes in the park: and a few back country too. Houseboat sites have tie off rings and are quiet large- they offer a fire ring and many have a picnic table. Tent sites have one or two tent pads and a fire ring and picnic table and a vault toilet usually. No electric. No water. Remember you can in fact camp anywhere you wish as long as you are 200 meters (I think) from another established site.

Possibly my favorite campsite ever

We stayed at site K29, Round Bear, in Voyageurs National Park. It was incredible. The views were stunning and it was easy to get our boat in and out of a small cove behind our site. There are two tent pads but we found a couple of other spots on nearby trails where you could set up a tent if you had a bigger group. My favorite feature of our site was a rock ledge that looked out over the water. We set up our chairs there and just hung out for awhile. The other nice part about this site is that it is very close to the Ash River Visitor Center (5 minute boat ride tops). This made it super easy to go back to our car for anything we might have forgotten. Highly recommend this site, especially for a group of 4-6 people!

Beautiful State Park

The chase point trail is a must see! The campsites in the Lodge campground seemed small, site was all gravel not great for tent unless you bring thick sleeping pads. Close to neighbors but is nicely wooded. Beautiful nighttime views and a very quiet campground at night.

Great wilderness, not perfect for privacy

Nice, remote Campground in the woods of northern Minnesota. We spent 5 days there where we enjoyed plenty of hikes and time on the water. The sites are close together and more suited to RVs than tents. Even over a busy weekend, it was quiet overnight except for the loons calling across the water. The boat in sites are just a short distance across the lake from the main Campground, making it an easy paddle for those in non-motorized boats. We were on the water with two kayaks and the highest number of boats was never more than 8 at any time with only two of those boats being motorized. There are a few hike-in sites, only 1.2 miles from the park. A few additional hiking trails around the park as well. A family friendly beach and some cleared picnic areas. The showers and flush toilets are clean and backed up by pit toilets dispersed around the campground.

Beautiful peaceful campground

First time here and will definitely be back, everything is beautiful