The best BOAT IN camping near
Fox River Estates , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Fox River Estates Camping Reviews
Nice state park

We stopped for a night on our way through.  Had a nice quiet spot right on the river.  With the locks closed this year, the traffic on the river was way down.  It would have been fun to watch the boats but oh well.  Easy in and out right off the interstate.  Not busy at all mid week.

Last resort

We haven’t been camping to this campground in a while so maybe things have changed but the last time we were there we were bitten by flies the entire weekend. It was absolutely horrible. Aside from that we do enjoy going to the beach but there are more rocks than there is sand.

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Weekend Camping with lots of activities

For years, this was our go-to campground for weekend nearby adventures. Over the years, the price has increased and at $30 per site for non-residents, it's a bit steep for tent camping for me (so I left off a star rating). All sites are electric, so if you are tent camping and want your fan or slow-cooker, then it's as good as it gets in the burbs. It's located in a beautiful wooded Dupage County Forest preserve. While the sites are pretty close together, there are a few good ones that feel more secluded. Designated chip bark tent sites are level. The grounds are very well maintained. While I didn't camp here this year, I took these photos the last weekend in October to give everyone a sense of how nice this campground could be for them. My favorite sites over the years were the ones closest to Silver Lake along the South Loop road because those sites have the best views. For privacy, my favorite site is #27 on the north loop road which makes you feel like you are alone in the woods. Other than plenty of hiking options including a big hill, the fishing is outstanding. There are lots of places along the lake and ponds to get an easy catch and release. There is also archery, a dog park, picnic areas, boat rental/ramp, and a compass course. It is a great place for families. I've brought cub scouts here and my kids' friends. Heads-up that sites 21 & 22 may not be able to see traffic on the busy Winfield Rd in the summer, but you will still hear it at those sites.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Turner Lake South and Mud Lake East most private

This IL state campground fills up quickly on the weekends over the summer. The best sites for those hoping for privacy are in Turner Lake South and Mud Lake East. The campsites are a little bigger in Turner Lake South, I feel, but both have campsites circled by woods with a level place to pitch a tent. While these sites are usually slated for walk-ups on the weekends, it seems like a lot of people go early on Thursday or even Wednesday to secure their sites for the weekends. Both loops have an outhouse and water spigot nearby and are a quick drive to the showerhouse. The shower houses are dated, yet I have seen them clean and also not clean on busy camper weekends. All the campsites have raised firepits and a picnic table. If you own a boat or love to fish, this is a great place to go camping. They rent some little fishing boats here too if you want to get off the shore. Chain O Lakes in general get pretty busy on the water, but the state park is off the main part of the water system, so even a little fishingboat can be fun without the large speedboat wakes here.

Great for quick escape from the city

Came for a 1-night camping trip from Chicago. The drive was about an hour. Very beautiful and diverse trails: beach, dunes, forest, prairie and wetlands. The trails are quite overgrown— we lost the trail several times— but very beautiful and not as crowded as the beach. It’s not the most secluded park (cars, trains and planes were audible all night), and the campsites are well-sized but not very private, but it’s great to have a place like this just an hour from the city. Campsites have electrical outlets, water spigots nearby, bathrooms with running water (bring your own soap), firewood and ice available for purchase.

Great place

Been camping here a couple times! Really fun, the have boat rentals, and fishing. Only down fall is the sites were too close to each other

Absolutely Stunning Park

This location is an absolute treasure. The beach is stunning and the trails are awesome. There is a ton of beach space and the beach is a short walk from the camp sites. The camp sites are well spaced out and there is a variety of shaded non shaded and etc. Most sites are electric only and there are non-reservable sites which go fast during prime season. The bathrooms are clean and well maintained. This is close to a metropolitan area so there is sometimes a lot of traffic - people going and leaving. Rangers will leave you alone but are present and available to help. We had an absolute blast!

Very clean

One of my families favorite campgrounds. Great fishing and nice beach for swimming. Very nice shower/ laundry house.