The best TENT SITES camping near
Everglades , FLORIDA

Most Recent Everglades Camping Reviews
Nice Site Close to Miami

This is the site that I go to with a couple friends because its close to Miami. Very easy to drive over here for a weekend and camp out with your buddies. However you do need to make sure you make a reservation and you have a ORV license to enter the area. Since I have a Jeep its a fun ride to get to the camp grounds. However a normal SUV can do the trick to get you there.

Basic but Great Experience

Camp at Mile Marker 52, basic campground but great experience. This place was great to spend a night. The further you are into the campground, less road noise. The host was very friendly and helpful, checked in frequently. Make sure to book in advance for a spot. It has electric hookup only but it does provide access to potable water as well as a dump station. The site has a fire pit, picnic table and good sized spaced out sites as well as a common area has a picnic table and fire pit. There are no on-site showers but the bathrooms are provided and they were clean with no issues. Bring bug spray if you intend to sit outside at night.

Great Campground---Great Location

Midway Campground- Ochopee, FL: We were here a few years ago and had to come back. This is a great campground in Big Cypress Wilderness Reserve at mile marker 52 on route 41 Tamiami trail. No water or sewer hookups, but there is electric at the site, fire pit, picnic table and good sized spaced out sites. Dump station and potable water available. Host was very friendly and checked on campers regularly. The 26 mile loop road is very close and a great way to experience Florida & Big Cypress backcountry and wildlife from your car or bike. Plenty of hiking trails in the area as well.

Hidden Gem

We were so glad to find this place on The Dyrt. Once you check in, there is someone there to guide you to your site. You cannot reserve sites, you just request the amps needed for your rig. There are tent sites, cabins, and Chickee huts to rent as well. We were guided to a pull thru site. This was a first for us and we were thrilled. Our site was directly across from the bath house. We had no trouble leveling our trailer and getting set up. Fire pits are at every site and fires are encouraged. If you did not bring wood, there is some for sale. The bath house was adequate. It could be cleaner, but it is camping. The sites include water and electric. You are not able to pick up antennae TV unless you have high quality tall antennae. Radio stations came in just fine. At the front of the park is a little store with SkunkApe gear and an animal exhibit with gators, pythons and chickens. Skunkape is the equivalent of Sasquatch. Apparently, there is a legend of sitings in the Everglades. Kayak and canoe rentals are available as well as a swamp buggy ride. We brought our own kayaks and were told where to enjoy them. This campground is 15 minutes from Everglade City and 25 minutes from Collier-Seminole State Park.

Wonderfully peaceful, away from it all

This is the kind of place that you want to land if you are seeking some quiet and want to be surrounded by nature. Just a great place overall was super friendly and helpful staff. Just stayed for a night but next time we will be back for a few days at least!

Small but peaceful State Park with Historic attraction

Kind and helpful staff! We got a late check-in and no issues. Spot was clean, quiet, with lush vegetation on all sides! There are Historic buildings with interesting background and guided tours. Nature trails, kayaking, etc. Will be back here.

Tenters: Stick to spots 1 -16

Arrived here for a three-night tent stay in early December. The staff was very friendly. The comfort rooms spotless and modern. New-looking washer and dryer. The RV spots are very close together. I got spot #79, on the North side, conveniently close to the restroom but also close to San Marco Rd over the fence. Remarkable how, having so much land to build a park, that loop was placed so close to the road and therefore to its noise. On the way out, I drove around the tents' loop (no spots had been available at the time of reservation). May I recommend that tenters strive for spots 1 to 16 which are on the tent loop and far from the outside road. They are private, with vegetation between spots, unlike the RV side, where I set up my tent.  The grounds are kept so well at this park, with open grassy areas trimmed and neat. There are kayak and bicycle rental stations, photos included. The waters of the inlet are tranquil. Truly spectacular and peaceful. There is no camp store, so bring your firewood and supplies. The nearest Publix is about 8 miles away, but there's a gas station just west of the Park's main entrance.  The mosquitos will quickly invade your tent, so shutter it well before sundown. Spot 79 has gravel and grass and is level. So are most spots as far as I could see. The picnic tables are a bit too big for the normal 8ft "mosquito tent." Each spot, RV or tent, has electric, water, and fire pit.

Nice clean park with some history

If you’re on the fence about the visiting this park do it. It has lots of amenities including a small marina for boats, canoes/kayaks and bicycle rentals if you choose. There are a couple trails to venture onto. Also couple of spots on the grounds of historic value that you can easily walk to you as well.

The grounds are well-kept including the bath houses. The grounds are continuously monitored throughout the day. Note: they are sticklers for some of the rules…(no hanging lights from trees, kids must have helmet when on bikes). No biggy to me just something to know. There is one loop that is dedicated to tent campers with bathhouse. The rest of the grounds can be tent campers but mostly RVers ranging sizes with another bathhouse.

The cons...?

Well if you do choose to visit. BRING any and ALL mosquito repellent. I am a Florida native born and raised and I have dealt with my share of mosquitoes. These grounds are now on the top of the list of bad bugs sites. I usually pack heavy on supplies and was OK. But if you don’t bring repellents you will be down a liter or two of blood when you leave.

Second complaint would be….They clean the boathouse from 11am-12noon daily. Now this doesn’t seem like a bad time. But wait till it’s leaving day and check out is 1pm. You got your gear all packed and camper locked up and dumped. Then to do a bathroom run before you hit the road. I think they could choose a different time that would work better..2p-3p maybe?

Something else to note for Big RVers. I didn’t have this problem at my site BUT I did see some coaches have issues with enough space to back in. Some the the sites are tricky to back into (site poles, trees….etc.) weather they were on the site OR a site across from yours. Just something I noticed.

Over all a great place to visit.  I would visit again BUT will be bring even MORE mosquito repellent.
Nice hideaway

My girlfriend and I wanted to do the spur of the moment camping trip and so, while we were driving from the east side of south Florida we tried calling multiple campgrounds to find which had last minute availability for a 7:30 pm check-in. This campground was the first to answer the phone number listed on this app. The lady that answered was very nice and explained they had electricity and showers and that there were still tent sites available. The latest time you can check in is 9:00 pm and check out time is lax so we weren’t told a specific time.

Once arriving to the campground all we had to do was call a number to unlock the gate and then we paid for our camp site while we were in the car. After we paid, we were escorted to our camping site by a gentleman on a four wheeler.

The camping cite has a grill and electricity but we couldn’t find any water pump. But we brought water so we were fine. We were on a site next to the bathroom which also has showers, so it was easily accessible. There is a good amount of space for each site. You can definitely play some music at a low volume without disturbing anyone else. Another great aspect of this location is your ability to see all of the stars. There are no towns close by so the light pollution is low.

We are in November now and the weather is in the 70s during the day and 60s at night so the mosquitoes are not bad, but they are still present. Having a bottle of bug spray and maybe a fogger will do just fine in this weather.

Overall I am so happy with this campsite and it was perfect for what we were looking for.

Camping on the beach!

Great Sunset! Then the bugs came out with a vengeance. Noseeums will slip thru cheaper tents bug screens. This is the Everglades! Be prepared. No place to hide out here. Just pick a spot above the high tide line to pitch your tent. Tide goes way out!! Fires on beach recommended to help keep bugs at bay. Tiki torches, too! No tables or fire ring.