The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Coal Creek , COLORADO

Most Recent Coal Creek Camping Reviews
Best State Park I've been in

Now… I'm originally from Louisiana, and I now live in Texas, so my standards aren't very high, lol, but the restrooms were impeccable… Clean, smelled clean, and well maintained. The pit toilets we're even moderately comfortable, but I admittedly drove down to the comfort station bathroom twice in the night. It's far enough away from everything while still allowing you to drive to a pizza parlor in town for a nice dinner and a beer.

Exceptional Fall Scenery

Wonderful walk-in tent camping site in the Turkey Meadow loop. Could view the Aspen trees in full color with Pikes Peak in the background. Peaceful and relatively private the week I was there.

Great Military Community

I live in the area and like to get away in TMee (our LTV UFX) on the weekends. Unfortunately, I had some electrical issues and two retired 4Ns (medics) came by to help me diagnose the issue. While the patient remained on life support, we had a great time discussing our Leisure Travel Vans and the beauty of the RV life. The area has nice spots, plenty of space between each site, lots of space to walk, run, play. Maggie and I had an incredible time despite the electrical issues my TMee had.

A perfectly adequate place to reload before your next adventure

This KOA journey has a friendly and helpful staff, and offers all of the bare essentials so you can get ready for your next stop. The campground is 8 miles from Cañon City and 4 miles from Royal Gorge.

Sites are a mix of dirt and gravel and as with much of the desert, you should expect it to be very dusty. Our site was very close to our neighbor and in combination with the high winds during our visit, we didn’t spend much time outside. Full hookups are conveniently located and offer water/sewer and 30/50amp service.

The campground has propane refills available on site. The staff was kind enough to let us drop off our tanks and they brought them back to us once someone was available to fill them. The laundry is open 24 hours. There are (4) washers and (4) dryers available at a cost of $2 per load. There is no change machine, so bring your own quarters or stop in the office and the staff can help you with exchanging some small bills.

Absolutely Wonderful

This is less than thirty minutes from my house, but feels like a world away. Spots are close but private and paved pads make leveling easy. Most sites are pull through along the road and include electric. Back in sites are also available. The campground was full even with the snow and cold in early September. There are very few undesirable spots within the grounds, and the group sites are exceptional.

Vault and flush toilets are available at various locations through the campground, and there is a self-service dump station available at the front of the campground. We did run into the issue of people dumping buckets of waste in the dump station and not washing everything down, so look before you step.

Tent pads are large platforms filled with pea gravel, and include well maintained picnic tables and fire rings. The grounds and campsites are beautifully maintained and wonderful views of the surrounding mountains are plentiful.

Watch out for wildlife and be sure to read restrictions and rules on the maps provided at the gate - use and closures change seasonally.

Great place to spend a day or 2

We stopped here on a last minute reservation.. staff helped us from start to finish to make our stay a good one.. Our site had a patio and lawn furniture.. plenty of space. Royal Gorge is a fun attraction and if you venture out there are other attractions during season. We did drive the Skyline Drive road.. kinda fun. The Covid scare had a lot of normal activities muted but I suspect next year will be back to full activities in the area. The store is well stocked and the showers are very clean. Propane on site if needed

Great for a couple of nights.

Nice facilities and clean. Picturesque and on top of a heavily wooded ridge. Some of the sites are more open and give a great view. Pike's Peak dominates the skyline to the east. Walk in sites are quieter with less light pollution from RV porches, I don't know why some campers are lit up like xmas. A bit pricey as the camp fee does not include the park fee.

Nice older KOA

Great people stay in this park. Happy hour at 4pm. All pull-through.

Water system needs work; well water has rust and sediment, be prepared!

Cañon City, Colorado KOA

Very nice campground, friendly staff, clean facilities. The site we got had our door facing another camper's door and our picnic tables were next to eachother, so we didn't spend much time hanging out outside. Their store sells pizza and wings and is stocked with many essentials. The Sunday we were there they had $3 all you can eat pancakes for breakfast.

Quiet Place in Nature

Super nice campground that makes you feel like you’re out in nature and in the mountains. Although there are tons of spots you are very well distanced from everyone. Views are great! Cleanest camp bathrooms we’ve seen all year! Onsite dump, most sites are pull through with Electricy, WiFi was good, I could even stream music.

Most trails inside the campground don’t allow dogs.