Rock Point, ARIZONA

Most Recent Rock Point Camping Reviews
Must visit

The views are spectacular. No amenities

Appropriately named

Just like the name says, there are some amazing views from this campground. They have lots of options, tent camping, RV spots, and cabins. My family stayed in one of the cabins on the cliff on our way up into Utah. The views were beautiful and unreal. They were a little pricy, but I’d say it was worth it for the scenery.

There are some really cool hikes in the area too. Definitely check out Goulding arch and wildcat trail. The slot canyons in the area are pretty cool to see. Also, there’s a lot of cool Native American history to learn about in the area. This was an awesome place to hang around in for a couple of days.

River View

We stayed in site 8 and literally could have gone for a swim from our site. The sites are too close together for my liking, but we were the only ones at the campground. The pit toilets were clean (and not smelly)..The sites all had fire pit/grate, picnic table and flat spot for a tent or RV parking. The highway noise was a bit annoying, but not unbearable.

The sunrise over the river was incredible!

It’s all in the name.

Pros: The view. Duh. Unbeatable. Near everything - guided tours, visitor center, restaurant, showers all within easy walking distance. The desert sand is nice and soft!

Cons: Tent sites are separated from RV’s which is nice but put together in such a small space that sites are literally on top of each other. For not even a picnic table 20$ isn’t cheap.

Serene beauty at it's best.

Dispersed campsites off the side of the trail gives many options to get the best from this area.

Surreal beauty

I can't say enough how much i loved camping at The View.

We arrived at the campground at 11:30pm and were so afraid we'd be unable to register or find our site in the dark, let alone set up our tent. Luckily, if you arrive after 10:00 or so, you can register at the hotel on-site. Staff is incredible helpful. Apparently we were not the only late arrivals; quite a few seemed to be setting up and/or showering when we arrived. And lucky for us, a high, bright moon made it easy to see and get around, and provided one of the most majestic views of the rock formations i can imagine. We kept the tent fly off to enjoy the views all night.

Parking is a few feet away from the campsites; you'll have to carry your gear in. Be aware that there are rattle snakes and scorpions in the area. Staff warned us to close bathroom doors and tent doors behind you.  We saw a snake in the morning, but it did not look like a rattlesnake. Security circles around at night, which was comforting for me.

No additional costs for showers, but you do need a bathroom/shower code which you receive upon registering. Water drains slowly, causing slight flooding in the bathroom. Don't forget some shower shoes.

It felt like most families woke up early for the gorgeous sunrise, packed up, and left before the August heat set in. By 9am, seemed like everyone was gone, so we got to enjoy some solitude before the 11am checkout. Might not really be the type of heat one can camp in for multiple days.

There's a trailhead in the campground that goes near the cabin area and down into the valley. There's also a loop drive with unbeatable views. Campground lives up to it's name!

Views for days

Free primitive camping with amazing views. No facilities. Pack in and pack out. Plenty of spaces to chose from.

Nice campground on the banks of the San Juan river with petroglyphs nearby.

Nice and quiet, has shade trees on A loop. B loop had a few flooded sites. Has potable water and pit toilets. Great stop over between four corners and monument valley/ Grand canyon.

Best RV campground in area with access to Monument Valley and

Stayed at the RV park when visiting Monument Valley in May.  The campground is with 5 miles of the MV entrance.  Clean restrooms and great sights.  Even a few hiking trails off the back of their property,  They also provide complimentary transportation to their grocery store, John Wayne Movie theater, Restaurant and Museum/souvenir shop.  Sights were level with water elec and sewer.  Large washeteria and basic sundry shop on location.  It is also a great location for visiting Mexican Hat, Gooseneck Turn and other regional attractions.

Expect it

Nothing is really going to jump out at you here and really say that it’s amazing or breathtaking. The view during sunset are probably beautiful but we were here on a cloudy day so we didn’t see much of that beauty. The campsite for us was a little run down and it was very dirty, which was probably just the wind. Close drive to the park and going around is so many hikes.

High traffic low privacy

Indian Route 12 runs north to south and bisects the wheatfields lake and the main campground areas. Overnight camping and fires are discouraged along the lake but people get away with it. There is sporadic night traffic on the roadway throughout the night and it is sometimes loud. The campsites are hit and miss. Some have old dilapidated picnic tables and along with sandstone fire rings or barriers. The roads to the campsite are not graded and over time roads have been created through campsites with no regard.

There are 3 compost type toilet facilities at various parts of the lake. No running water. There are some trash receptacles but most leave their trash in piles next to the receptacles because the chutes to the receptacles are about 12x12 and wont accommodate a large trash bag. There are numerous stray dogs in the area that take advantage of the trash piles.

Fishing: I have only seen small rainbow trout. Stockers from the Navajo Hatchery in Toadlena NM. There is no motorized access to the east side of the lake as it was blocked off years back by metal tube barriers.

Too many rude fishers and kids running around unchecked. Fiddling with your fishing area and fishing gear.

Nice quiet dispersed area

To find this, go north out of town and go right (east) on Mexican Hat Rock Rd. Bear left at the only fork. Road ends at the San Juan River and the suggested spots are before it ends, near the river. After sunset it was cool on a hot day, and the river made for nice foot-washing. There are several pull-outs that make decent camp sites. No services of any kind but it’s close to town and there is a decent cell signal. And the night skies are lovely, as is The Rock.

Incredible!

Stunning views from every angle. Hike-in for tents but drive-in for campers & RVs. Sunsets and the stars are breathtaking. No pets (at least for tent sites), clean bathrooms, walking distance from hotel/restaurant that they have on site. Must reserve online for peak seasons. If going to monument valley, I highly recommend stopping here!

Every Fathers Day

I have been coming to this site for the last 20 years. Took my dad there. He loved it. And this is where he had his ashes spread. So every Father’s Day my son and I make a trip here. Primitive. No amenities. But it spectacular view of the valley below.

Great views, can be windy

Spent 3 nights here in 2 different locations. Loved it. Quiet, dispersed areas. Dirt road is well maintained but when it gets wet it can get muddy quick. Your on a cliff so winds can pick up. Plenty of spots for various sizes rigs. Great place to just enjoy sunrise or sunset. I've seen a few couples in tents so the wind is not that bad I guess.

Enjoyed it

My 1st stay was early February 2019 and it was 18 and 30mph winds. The van was rocking but I slept like a baby and was the only one there. Stayed again late April 2019 and it was full of RVs stacked against the edge so I parked away from them. Quiet night, warm, not windy at all. Just full of those pretentious RVers with their website plastered all over their rig taking selfies. It's quit the comedy to watch them shoot video(I presume for YT) never going further than the tourist plaque.

quiet and scenic

This is one of my favorite, lesser known camp spots and areas to explore. Valley of the Gods sits in southern Utah near Mexican Hat. The area is somewhat of a small Monument Valley. The views surrounding the campsites are of spires, towers and red rock cliffs. The best part? There are usually not many people here.

The valley and camp spots can be reached via Valley of the Gods Rd which connects highway 163 and 261. The roads can be hard to find as you will probably drive right past them. Valley of the Gods Rd is all dirt and is about 17 miles long. The drive itself is very scenic, be aware during rainy season the road can get very flooded and low clearance cars will have a hard time.

Camp spots are anywhere you want, most of them will be right off the road. Flat spots, pull offs and rock fire rings will tell you if someone has camped there before. The valley is overseen by BLM so there are no fees to camp, on the flip side of that, that means there are no toilets or any kinds of services. Some people prefer camp spots this way.

I have seen small 2 wheel drive cars to large RV's and Trailers on this road ,but like i mentioned earlier, there are big dips here and there and the rains can flood them. Use caution upon entering the Valley. Overall, amazing spots with equal scenery.

Calm and Charming

Had a blast staying here. Went fishing took my 12 footer aluminum boat caught a good amount of fish.

Visit Canyon de Chelly

Stayed here two night so we could hike and horse back ride in canyon de Chelly. This campground could be better the grasse in the site needed to be mowed. It’s a nice location close to the opening of the canyon and horseback rides are across the street. Be careful what you leave out theft here is a problem, we had our bumper hitch stolen while we were in town shopping.

Perfect jump off

We arrived early on a Friday and met the cheerful helpful rangers at arrival. They were very helpful and gave us directions to campsites as well as info about our checkout for our river trip on the San Juan River the next day. Campsites were clean and close to the boat ramp but also allowed for seclusion. We set up our hammocks n site #1. A short walk away was the Sand Island Petroglyph Panel. Very cool and well maintained. Our kids met us for the night and enjoyed a night camping with our darling grandbaby. Loved the area and will return.

No shade but very convenient

We visited Memorial Day Weekend. The campground was empty because it was HOT. The campground is a basic dirt field with only a few small trees. We took the site that had trees for shade. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit. The campground has a cute history and fun touristy things to check out… and it's convenience to Monument Valley is superb. Although the views from our site were less than desirable, the rest of the campground offered picturesque scenes of the nearby "monuments."

Great views

If you get to the campgrounds early enough you can set up a tent at the edge. This way you will have a clear view of Monument Valley with no other tents or distractions in the way. Restrooms are clean and close by, so you can walk to them from the campsite. However, it was a little noisy at night because you're camping near the parking lot and some people come late in the evening to set up.

I FEEL BAD GIVING A 1 STAR

… As far as campgrounds go, I would not choose this spot. It is close to a scenic national monument and is located right at the entrance and is easy to get in and out of. That is where the positives end. It is sparse and fairly packed. It doesn't have a ton of vegetation as it is in the desert so expert dirty and hot. The monument itself is worth experiencing but I wouldn't plan for it to be a destination, just a pit stop. I won't stay here again.

Amongst Gods!

Truly breath taking loop. This is a dirt road loop. There are sites where you can post up for the night but there will be no running water, bathrooms or anything that will make you feel like human society is around! If you’re like me and love that then this place is truly magical!

Even if you’re not stopping to camp at least take the time to drive through it.

New Years Eve

I spent New Year’s Eve at this park and it was absolutely beautiful!

Not a bad campsite in site!

Everything here is dispersed and primitive but the views make you forget about that quickly!

There are sites for tents and small rvs and beautiful views of buttes and towers surrounding you. To the south is the iconic Monument Valley. In addition to wandering in the valley, on many of the rockforms are short multipitch trad routes as well

Flat terrain, adequate space between campsites

Bathrooms are located next to one campsite but are easily in walking distance of all campsites. Good amount of space in between neighbors so one can choose whether to be private or socialize. While hikes around the area are accessible, I recommend driving to the hike overlooking Bears Ears. Make sure to bring lots of water, my group went camping in the canyons so we needed water and I can't remember if water was easily accessible at this campground.

Dispersed camping with stunning views

Free dispersed camping on BLM land. If you don't want to back track and are continuing south, the only road down is very steep and winding and you'll want to take it slow. Well maintained dirt road is the only way to get there. To get your vehicle closer to the edge for a better view may require 4WD vehicles.

Overlooks the mittens. Separate tent sites. RV sites line up and face East.

RV and campervan sites line up and face East for a sunrise view of the Mittens. There is a separate tent location below the RV sites. Each site has a picnic table. No tree cover or shade. There is a code accessed bathhouse with flush toilets, sinks, and showers. Showers have a changing area which could benefit from hooks or a bench. The greatest benefit is the superior view!

The Wildcat Trail (3.7) miles is s great hike in the morning or evening when the sun isn’t directly overhead it took is a few hours at a slow pace to take plenty of pictures.

While in MV we took in two adventures, horseback riding and a Jeep tour. The two hour horseback tour was with the Dinah Riding Stable between point 4-5 on the scenic drive. The Navajo guide provided information on area history and the specific lore around spires and buttes. My daughter, who is an experienced rider, was able to run her horse up the trail while my son and I hung back at a trot- walk.

The three hour jeep tour was with Majestic Adventures and included a guide who shared generations of stories based on Navajo culture. She played a flute under a caved dome and took us to a traditional Hogan to learn about living in MV.

Awesome experience

If you are into dry camping..this place is a must. Remote, spectacular views and abundant solitude