Paulcell Place , ARIZONA

Most Recent Paulcell Place Camping Reviews
RV’s Welcome

We didn’t actually stay here because the reviews were confusing and we got into town late and needed a reliable place to stay. We ended up driving past it while leaving The Petrified Forest and saw plenty of RVs parked in the lot with signs saying RV’s could stay overnight for free. We asked one of the guys by his RV if there was an electric hookup and he said yes for 30 amps and for a 15 dollar fee which you can pay in the gift shop. The gift shop was open till five. I don’t know how it would work if you got there late and tried to hookup without paying, the lady in the shop was not very friendly. Regardless this looked like a great place to stay for free if you do not need the hookup, or if you want the hookup, get there before five and pay inside!

No services, No worried

I had my reservations about going here. I thought would see the park in 20-30 minutes. We took almost three hours to drive the 25 miles through the park. Some areas are very austere, however the OTHER areas more than make up for it. The Petrified Forest is NOT a bunch of rocks laying around. (Ok there are plenty of those too) but awe inspiring views and colors that will blow you away. Please, if you are traveling Route 66 (I-40) and you are near Holbrook AZ, you will not be disappointed.

Great view and relaxing

NOT FREE Maybe it used to be but now it is $15 a night. I camped nest to the river. What a beautiful view. Only 4 other campers when I was there. Not necessarily a place you would stay more than a few nights. Very close to the cute town of Winslow.

Great for Overnight

Stopped here last minute after visiting the petrified forest. Got there around 6PM on a Sunday and plenty of spots were available! There is a kiosk at the entrance and it is $15 for an overnight camp. Grill and picnic bench for each plot but no potable water source. Restrooms were not super nice but useable. The lake was beautiful especially during sunrise. Wouldn’t spend a whole weekend here unless you are prepared with fishing rods and a kayak, but a good place to lay our head.

Good one night stay

Stayed one day on my way to Reno. Nice spot along the highway. You can hear vehicles but in a van, barely heard it. There’s prairie dogs and bunnies galore, which was a nice bonus. Clean porti potties and decent AT&T signal. I only checked out one loop but place has as least 10 spots. Some have cement pads and fire rings. No picnic tables that I saw.

Not free

Disregard that review that say “Free”, it’s $15. It’s a great spot if you’re passing through I guess. There is a pretty river flowing past. We went fishing and caught a tiny catfish. It’s a decent place. However I’m not into parking lot camping and that’s what it is. There are no trees.

BATHROOMS WERE THE WORST IVE EVER SEEN. I wouldn’t even expect that at a free campground. And trash was scattered everywhere. My whole group wondered what the money goes towards, definitely not maintenance.

Tent Camping on a Friday night

I had a great night camping at McHood Campground along Clear Creek. It was very peaceful and quiet on a Friday night. Only 4-5 other groups were camping. I woke up the next morning and went for a run around the reservoir before kayaking the 6.5 mile round trip out & back along Clear Creek. Bathrooms were decent and the camping area was very clean. $15 to camp but it was well worth it. I would go back.

Decent, safe overnight

Dirt lot with turnouts with shrubs and pines offering decent privacy and quiet. There are cement pads for vans or smaller RVs in some spots, and fire pits. The lake is now more marsh with abundant bird life. A gas station / convenience store is across the street. Good Verizon!

Must be fully contained

We thought you could stay here if you had a tent but that’s definitely not the case. We wasted an hour driving out, only to be chased off by an angry lady that lives behind the shop. If you are not in a fully-contained RV (i.e. have your own bathroom) - don’t drive out there.

Right on the lake

Nice spread out campsites right on concho lake. Trash, port-a-potties on site.