the dyrt
Darling, ARIZONA
Most Recent Darling Camping Reviews
A fun place to be.

We were here for three months as I was on assignment at the hospital. We had a lot of fun. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the facilities were well kept and clean, and the park brought people in to keep us entertained. The spaces were a little tight for larger rigs, we were in a 36 foot pulled by an F350 quad cab long bed and had room.

Not what we hoped for

This place has great reviews and sounds wonderful, but in person it was not what we expected. The roads on the property are full of potholes. There are overhanging branches in most spots that can damage your awning. The layout is disorganized and you may or may not get a nice spot. The bathrooms are very smelly, they smell like vault toilets even though they flush. The grounds are not maintained well. This place must have been gorgeous at one time but it needs a good clean up. This might be a good place if you are a) in a tent or pop up b) right on the creek c) have very young kids who would enjoy the creek. For older kids and adults who want a pleasant experience in nature, this is not the place. It's also a long drive from Sedona and not much to offer in the nearby town.

Perfect for staying close to Sedona w/o the crowds

This is a dispersed camping are so no facilities. It's pretty rock so 4x4 is highly encouraged. It's really quiet except the occasional hunting activity. You can find plenty of spots right off the road or walk in a little farther. You'll be able to pull your truck in no problem and some spaces are large and flat enough for RVs and campers. Sedona should be on your list of must-sees if you're a visitor to Arizona. Take a jeep or helicopter tour! Visit Slide Rock when it's warm enough out to swim. Airport lookout and the vortex offer great photo ops at sunset.

Great for Families!

Okay, so the sites aren't primitive but they're big enough, beautiful, and usually right on the creek. Cabins are also an option. This is a privately owned campground. They have plenty of activities for the kids as if being right on Oak Creek isn't enough and are very accommodating. Ask to use one of the wheelbarrows to bring down your firewood. Restrooms and showers are available but if you're hoping for a shower, just know the early bird gets the worm!

You're not there for the camping

If the sites had a little more privacy, I'd give five stars. Whenever I take my family, I remind myself I'm not there for the actual tent camping, I'm there for everything else the state park offers. There are about eight small cabins as well. This park offers a much needed break from the Arizona heat in the spring and summer months. The "lakes" are really more like ponds but plenty large enough to fish in as is the Verde River, running through the park. Make sure to go down and take a dip during the warm seasons. They've recently improved the playground for young ones and offer horseback riding as well. Facilities are always clean. If you're tired of camping food, drive down the road to Cottonwood and be sure to visit Larry's Antiques (if you're into that of course).

It's worth a stop even for a day

In the winter, you can hear the ice cracking on the lake which other than wildlife may be all you hear. I'm all about solitude. If you're camping, pick one of the large group sites here and you'll have it! Lake level is often low and fish are scarce but have fun trying anyway. It's beautiful. Camp hosts have always been friendly, helpful, and keep the facilities clean. Listen in for one of the informative nature talks they offer most weekends. This lake is close to the adorable town of Williams. Enjoy the nostalgic Route 66 town shops and restaurants and take a ride on the Polar Express!

Small, quiet and picturesque skies

The road in can usually be traveled without 4x4 but it doesn't hurt. The campground is small but there's another just by if it's full. This is a fishing lake not a swimming one so leave your suits at home and enjoy a nature walk or campfire in peace and quiet. Campsites are decent size and just enough privacy but all a short walk to restroom. Beware of the steep boat ramp. The skies when you're out there look like a painting!

Spacious and Wild

If you are looking to get out of town and not be bothered by many other campers, this is the place for you.

Each site has lots of room! The trees are beautiful and the scent of pine is lovely. There are no facilities, so be prepared for that! No toilets, showers, water, electricity, etc.

The place is really beautiful though and I can't wait to come back.

Ranger Review: Escape Campervans at Flagstaff KOA

Campground Review

The Flagstaff KOA is a great place to stay! And a great jumping-off-point to fabulous destinations. We were visiting the Grand Canyon from Phoenix, so we were able to make it to the campground in about 2 hours (leaving after work) and then drive to and from the Grand Canyon the next day, since it is only an hour drive from there.

The sites are pretty close together, but that didn’t really matter staying in our campervan. We had all the space we needed. I especially loved the very clean bathrooms! Flushing toilets and free showers (with attached changing stalls) made for a very comfortable trip.

Our kid’s favorite was the Jumping Pillow. It is this huge inflatable thing that the kids can jump all over and they wanted to do that constantly. Super fun and easy entertainment.

There was also a large playground and little go-kart style bicycles the kids could rent.

Our stay was really great and I highly recommend the Flagstaff KOA!

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products from time to time. Escape Campervans allowed me and my family to take our their Maverick van for the weekend. Let me give you all the details:

First of all, we LOVED traveling in this campervan!! Driving in and of itself was wonderful. The back bench is very spacious, so our three kids in car seats/boosters had plenty of space. I loved the huge passenger seat and could really spread out while we drove. The van was easy to handle and easy to maneuver. Even on little dirt roads and tight turns we had plenty of space (very unlike an RV).

Once we got to our campsite, it was dark out and 9 o’clock at night. All the kids had fallen asleep on the drive. Normally this would be a huge pain, having to pitch our tents and unpack the cots and sleeping bags, and pack n’ play etc. But we just pulled into our spot (these vans can park in tent sites too!) and my husband got out and popped the rooftop sleeper (takes 30 sec. to do), we shuffled the kids up top while I unfolded the inside bed. Took us just a few minutes to get both beds up and ready to go. The kids were nestled into their beds in no time.

My 4 year old daughter and I slept in the inside bed together, with my 1 year old son in a little pop-up baby tent at the foot of the bed. My husband and 5 year old son slept in the rooftop sleeper. Everyone was warm despite the 35 degree nighttime temperature, and everyone slept through the night (a FIRST for this family while camping!!).

The back doors open to reveal a complete camp kitchen, with pump sink, propane stove, all the utensils, prep surface, solar powered fridge and plates/cups. We cooked up some homemade fajitas with steak strips and peppers on the stovetop and it worked fabulously. We literally just pulled off to the side of the road in Grand Canyon National Park and made this delicious lunch. The kids ran and played in the trees while I cooked. It was a special moment.

I really can’t say enough good about the experience. We can’t wait to rent one again. It made this trip so easy. Some things you don’t even think about, like how we all needed to change clothes at the Grand Canyon. We just shut the curtains and were able to do that in a busy parking lot. In our minivan -- that would not have happened.

Tons of storage space, smooth ride, comfortable sleeping, large back bench. Great. Trip.

Product Video

Overview video:

Van tour:

Free and lake view

The campground is free and you can stay 14 days, they offer a nice spot with a picnic table, grill and possibly a fire pit. Sometimes working bathrooms but they worked when my husband and I stayed. Pretty view right near the lake, fishing and when the weather is nice you can swim too! On rainy days the top spots get really muddy and kinda flooded. Nice paved road access but spots are on dirt (upper) or pebbled (lower - better when it rains and is right near the lake). We would definitely stay here again. Camp host very nice. No water, sewer, electric or WiFi but signal on my phone was perfect (Verizon).

Loud Camp

I really enjoyed the location of this campground but like other reviews have mentioned it is pretty noisy. For some reason this place just attracts campers which have a lot going on at their site and because of the proximity to each campsite sound travels.

I thought about possibly returning to this site midweek when less people are traveling.

I found a site which was pretty large and had a nice space for a tent. When I set up it was pretty empty but by dark that is when everyone started piling in.

I spent much of my time away from my campsite itself hiking around and enjoying the lake which has so much to offer.

Kids paradise

Lots to do for kids. Nice wooded sites. Rzr trails in the area and close to lots of fishing. Town of Williams is a tourist adventure and Bearzona is a Blast!! 🎣🐻🦉🌲

Great views and access to trails

A nice little campground with one loop. What I liked about this was the great hosts (who seemed on constant patrol in their golf cart), the level sites for tents, and the great access to trails. There was a trail that went under the road that led to the lake and another that went up to great views and the Arizona Trail. There was tons of elk scat on the upper Trail but I never saw any elk. At the top of the trail you had to go thru a gate into open range to get to the Arizona Trail. It was obvious from the cow patties that this was a popular spot for the cows as well. As for amenities, the tent pads were level and clean, there were fire pits (no fire due to the ban), and clean vault toilets. I’d stay here again.

Set back in the pines

On a side trip from Route 66 I headed down towards Sedona, camping on the way down and back. I ended up at Pine Grove Campground. It was a pretty nice campground, and pricey as a result. Mostly Rv’s and some tents, at least this campground had pay showers and a very attentive campground host (mostly due to his Very Very alert little dog). The campground is large with more than one loop, set back in the pine trees. There were great opportunities for hammocking and visiting with your close neighbors. Every site had the usual picnic tables and fire pits, and for the RV set, there were full hookups and a dump station. The best part was how quiet it was back in the trees. However, it was so dry you could not have a fire without some major trepidation. The nearby lakes were more than 10 feet below normal levels.

River camping in Arizona

Another small roadside campground that hugs the side of the hill. Sites were small and on top of each other. The best sites (taken, of course) were set back next to the creek and swimming hole. They were also the biggest sites, but I don’t think they were group sites. Watch out for snakes, there were signs everywhere. Every site had a picnic table and fire pit, but a burn ban was in effect so you could not have a campfire. I thought the price for the sites was a bit steep considering how close they were to the road (literally right next to the road) and the lack of amenities- no hook ups for RV’s and only a fairly dirty pit toilet.

A hot desert gem

Stopped here on my grand Route 66 adventure this summer. I really liked this park for several reasons. 1. It’s convenient to Route 66 (and Hwy 40); 2. It’s close to Petrified Forest National Park, which is pretty cool to explore on its own; 3. Free showers!!; 4. The campground is set back from the main park so you have a bit of privacy from day trippers; 5. Tent sites were level and well maintained (mine was raked!!); 6. All sites seemed to have hook-ups whether you needed them or not (maybe there were tent only sites, but it was all one price so no big deal); 7. The park has some great trails for hiking; 8. There is ancient pottery shards everywhere (don’t take it! Leave it for everyone to enjoy); 9. Free showers!!; 10. Not too far from Winslow, AZ, where you CAN stand on the corner.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here, though I got in at sunset and left shortly after the main park opened at 8am. This might be my only negative about the park. The main park and the best attractions don’t open until 8am (a ranger actually comes and opens the gates), which is much later than I tend to get moving (up with the sun and all). And with the heat of the day starting at 9:30, it’s hard to get to the sites and get in a good hike before it’s too hot.

Really nice clean campground

Our family of 7 went camping with our neighbors who are a family of 6, needless to say we needed a lot of room. The only downside to these sites was that our tents were too big to fit on the tent pad! BUT….we got two sites next to each other and were able to eat and we put the tents else where and made one big camp site and it was great! The grounds are impeccably clean!!! The bathroom and shower were warm and clean and there was even a deep sink at the back of the bathrooms! There was also a community spigot in the tent area so that you didn’t have to go all the way to the bathroom! We did a short day hike and the trails were kept nicely as well!

Fun for everyone

Seasonal campground that has something for everyone. It has tent sites, camper sites and group sites. There is day use parking and an ampatheter for Ranger shows. You can take boats out on the lake for fishing. It’s a great place to ride bikes, beautiful area with some hills. Geocaching and even Pokémon hunting.

Beautiful views

We arrived at this campground at night. It wasn’t hard to find and we went camping in August. The weather wasn’t too hot but not too cold either. Beware of the bugs at night!!! There are a ton of moths and other flying bugs that will totally swarm you at this campground. Beware of tarantulas walking through the camp ground.

quiet family friendly getaway in he AZ high country

We stayed in a pop up camper for a long weekend. The site has electric (30 amp & 15 amp) and water hookups. Bathroom and shower facilities are super clean and work well. The campground in located in Cottonwood, AZ but far enough removed that you don't feel like you are in the city. For those of you that want to adventure there are numerous hikes and the Verde River allows several places to kayak. A host of small towns are within a half hour drive including Sedona, Jerome and Prescott. We will be going back for sure!

Ponderosa Pine forest, roadside campground.

This campground is right off of the main road leading into Sedona. The showers are $4 each. The sites are relatively close in proximity. The bathrooms are vault style. Try and reserve a site away from bathrooms and road to reduce noise and light pollution. There are many trees which make hammock camping a favorable option. Beautiful creek runs along the site. Camp hosts are very friendly! Running water. Soft pine needle forest floor. Brisk temperatures in the night, 50's and high's in the 90's.

Great for tent camping!

Great place for tent camping with a friendly staff and nice amenities. The campground sits on Oak Creek, and is in the perfect location where you are far enough away from Sedona city center to have some peace and quiet, and within an amazing setting of red rocks, tall pines and the sound of a creek surround you. The tent sites are spacious, and offer plenty of privacy. The campground has shower facilities, a small general store where you can get firewood and small groceries, and restrooms. The pit toilets are a bit nasty; I wish they would update them and make them a little cleaner and user-friendly…lol. They can get really disgusting and stink horribly during warmer weather. But the rest of the experience here makes the restrooms the least of the issues. We always stay here when in Sedona.

Wonderful escape from the low desert.

The sites are clean, well spaced, and all under a canopy of green trees. The Oak Creek runs next to the loop A sites and is fun and refreshing to walk along. Weekends can fill quickly, but weekdays have far fewer people. Be warned, we were told that the summer months are busy week long and can get loud with partying college kids. Camp hosts have been making an effort to enforce the quiet hours because of this.

Fantastic Summer getaway for Groups

Located High on the Mogollon Rim 60 Miles NE of Payson. This large group campsite is perfect for family reunions, school trips or Scouting activities.

With 6.5 acres of fenced in Campground it's perfect for the kids to safely play all day. With campfires, shelters and vault toilets you have everything you need for a cool getaway form the AZ Summer.

Bring Slacklines and games and you're all set for the weekend.

We're already talking about next year.

Amazing views, but crazy busy

I’ve been to Lockett Meadow several times over the past 4 years and it never disappoints. I have gone both during the first few weeks of October when the leaves are changing color and in the height of summer after the monsoons turn everything green. Both times of the year are beautiful, but Lockett Meadow is always really busy. The camp sites are limited and it is first cone first serve so camping there is really about being lucky or being the earliest of early birds. If you’re sucky enough to find a spot, enjoy because it is truly beautiful up there!

Simple campground

campground is right off the main highway. fairly close to hear driving cars depending on the campground. very close to Sedona and rock slide park. spots are big enough for a small party of campers. facilities are nice and well maintained. campsites are close together but private enough.

Revamping in progress

The campground is being totally overhauled. It looks great so far and the facilities are very clean and nice. there is a nice big pool. the major thing missing are trees for shade and some privacy. there are only a few spots with nice big trees, all other sites have nothing. Which is OK in the Arizona winter, but not when it is still hot.

We were here when it as really slow, not sure what it will like when the campground is full.

Convenient to the south entrance of the Grand Canyon

The store offered a few things. The shower houses were being renovated. We only stayed one night and it snowed. In May!

Friendly staff, close to mountains and downtown

We stayed in our 27 foot trailer in July 2018 for a few days. Spot was nice enough, easy to get in and out of for beginners. Neighbors were all great. Close to the outdoors of the mountains, and to downtown Flagstaff (which is a lot of fun if you have been, lots of breweries, restaurants, and bars). Didn't use a lot of facilities other than getting a breakfast burrito from the kitchen which was yummy!

Great for groups

We were here for a group event and had a great time. Sites were large and shady. Great temps. The campground is close to an event center, though, so expect noise on the weekends even after quiet hours.