The best RV SITES camping near
West River , WYOMING

Most Recent West River Camping Reviews
Camel Trek - Night 11

Rolled down off the snowy Powder River Pass in the Bighorn National Forest and through the Wind River Canyon to find the most incredible sunset site overlooking the Boysen Reservoir at the “Brannon Campground”. It was suuuuper windy but we had spectacular views.

We were here in early November. Pretty much had the whole of the reservoir campgrounds to ourselves. Didn’t see another person until the next morning when a Ranger came by to check in on us and make sure we’d paid our fees for the evening. I could see this place being busy during the summer season, but still should be ample space to spread out. Turns out, we camped on the pad that the Fish & Game folks setup on during the summer. Certainly app reactivated their level pad and electrical hookup.

Multiple different locations with pit toilets, though one area just north of us was blocked off at the time.

Favorite campground!

Favorite campground! We stayed here at site 27B for just one night in August 2020 bit wish we had stayed many more nights. The campsites are in a beautiful pine forest on the edge of a prairie/meadow that has a creek running through it. Absolutely magical place, and the light in the morning and evening is spectacular. Although we didn’t have time to hike more than some short hikes and walks in the prairie, we saw trails leading from the campground(right behind our site) and other campers said the hiking and rock climbing are fabulous. We must come back!!!

Ok RV park, near great attractions

The RV itself wasn't great. The bathrooms were acceptable, not overly clean but not dirty either. Had a little laundry room with 2 washers and dryers. The sites are ridiculously close together and your neighbor's sewer hookup is nearly in your site. It is close the the mineral hot springs, though, and the Dinosaur museum is amazing.

High Altitude Camping

Nice campground at 10,500 feet above sea level! Very rocky terrain. No electricity or sewer for RV's. 2 water pumps, which were shut off when we were there end of September. Lovely sounds of the North Fork Little Laramie River. Hiking available. Apparently used a lot by 4-wheelers; quite a few buzzing around the 2 days we were there. Recommended as another place when all the other campgrounds nearby are filled up!

Absolutely amazing!

We came upon this site just by chance and I’m so glad we found it!! It was after season so that means no water and no bathrooms, but that’s ok, we had our own water and our own shovel and TP! It was mostly hunters (less than 10) and the nicest couple in the world from MN. The site was extremely spacious and comfortable! It did get quite frigid but we survived, and had an incredible experience listening to the wolves go crazy a couple times! We will certainly be back!

Spacious sites. Stayed in off season so no services, but no cost either. Had a moose walk right through our camp and go down to the lake.

Great place for gravel and mountain bikers to explore!

There are a ton of gravel and off-road opportunities for bikers. Pay attention to the trails rules because some trails do not allow bikers, so obey the trail rules. Some of the off-road trails are also shared by horses so be respectful of space. I met some friendly riders during my exploration ride! The campground is also close to a paved road, which could be a fun road ride tour. The snow-capped mountain views from the campground are beautiful! There are some more private campsites that have a dispersed and primitive vibe even though you are still pretty close to the running water and toilets. There are gravel roads that connect the different campgrounds which would be fun for exploration and introductory gravel riding. If you are not reserving a spot ahead of time, make sure that you show up early (before noon) in the busy summer season because the spots fill up quickly.

Disappointed

It was hard to connect with Christine upon check-in. She was not in the office at 3:30pm and she knew we were arriving. We set up and I checked back in and no one was there. Then she got busy with RV’s. The office didn’t open until 8am so again we left. I tried to call to give my CC. They cram the RV’s in and our tent site was literally sandwiched with an RV and cabin. People walking dogs and restrooms were a walk. Stop in Thermopolis for a day and drive south to Boysen State Park and Reservoir.

One of the best for an overnight stay

I can’t think of one negative comment, even the towns 9 o’clock curfew alarm was charming. The concrete sites are level and spacious with tables, fire pits and charcoal grills. The grounds are well cared with a small playground and dog run. Staff are friendly and helpful. There is a paved walk just steps out of the campground where we took a walk and watched deer. We only stayed one night but wish that all our campgrounds could be like this one.

Nice National Forest Campground

I’m giving this 5 stars but my review still comes with a warning. Campsite #9 is next to the outhouse and you can definitely smell it when the wind blows or if it is getting heavy use. That being said, you are camping in the high country. I used my campsite to day hike trail #63 to Lake Helen and back. It was an 11.3 mile hike from my tent. I was not lucky enough to see any moose or elk BUT there was much evidence of both. People with campers that are on the large side definitely struggled to park and level them. This sometimes required help from multiple other RV folks that were already onsite. Just like the reservations say, you pack in and pack out your own garbage. Some campers were unaware. The facilities were clean and my camp was clean. The camp host was lovely. Wood is purchased from the camp host miles away at the Island Park Campground. It’s easier to stop on your 7 mile dirt drive up, than it is to drive 5+ miles down and back for it. I camped here in a tent alone. I felt completely safe and secure in my surroundings. I was the only camper that didn’t live in Wyoming. Generators are allowed until quiet time. There were a lot of bats to watch at dusk. The wildfire smoke sadly blocked the views of the night sky.