Provo, UTAH

Most Recent Provo Camping Reviews
Wonderful place!

Would have like to have stayed a few extra days Clean quiet Rv Park nice pull through sites! Facilities were clean and secure nice large dog run for real dogs not little foo foo pups

Beautiful campground

This campground is beautiful. It is small and next to a little river. Has lots of spots for rvs and ttent camping. Camp hosts are great.

Dispersed camping at Fifth Water Hot Springs Trailhead

We camped at this trailhead while attempting to hike to the Fifth Water Hot Springs. Due to fire activity, the original trailhead was closed so we camped at the "back way" trailhead. There were signs indicating that dispersed camping was allowed in areas designated by a fire ring. Found one near the trailhead parking. Not many flat places for a tent and there was cow manure all over the ground, so not many options for places to put our tent. The "fire-pit" was also filled in with rocks, thinking this may have been related to the nearby forest fires. May have better luck at the other trailhead in the future.

Trail Runners Paradise

Millcreek Canyon is home to some wonderful trails that can be accessed by foot or bike. Although the canyon offers many hiking trails, the main use of the trails seems to be for trail running. There is a toll per vehicle to enter the canyon, but this can definitely be worth it because this is one of the only canyons that allows dogs!

Not Much Shade and Exposed but you can Fish!

I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you have an RV.  With that being said it is a good spot to come fish for a day trip.  It offers beautiful views of the Oquirrh and Stansbury Mountains to the east and west respectively and the reservoir is stocked with trout almost 1 a month during the spring though fall.  The reservoir is also completely man made so you get the feeling that you're in a bowl within a bowl!

As for the campground itself there are the standard concrete fire rings, picnic tables, and vault toilets.  There are also a few gazebos around with the campsites radiating off of them like spokes of a tire.  Now the reason I said that I wouldn't camp here without an RV is because there are absolutely NO TREES anywhere!  So it can get super windy and uncomfortable in a tent if a storm blows through.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Apparel at Mineral Basin Dispersed

Campground Review: Mineral Basin is located in the Wasatch Mountains to the East of Salt Lake City. If you have ever skied Snowbird, this camping area is the same as the backside and keep going down. This area is beautiful and primitive camping. Resulting in two major points: It is free and in order to keep it nice, please pack out what you pack in!! We accessed this area via the east side and Wasatch State Park and Midway, UT. It is a long dirt road which is relatively maintained. There is a lot of side by side activity on these roads so some of the corners have been banked/rutted out but a non-lowered vehicle should be able to navigate the roads with only a few bottom scrapes.(If you want to drive a bit higher into Mineral Basin than our campsite, a high clearance or off-road vehicle is required). We have seen tents as well as trailers camping in this area(as long as you are comfortable pulling your trailer on unpaved mountain roads). The campsite we chose was off a small spur road which offered privacy and was along a small stream. The flowing water provided some great ambiance and white noise while we slept. As with other primitive camping, there is nothing here with regards to amenities with the exception of an established fire ring. Our site did have a nice flat spot dug out but that may not be the case for all the spots. We brought everything we needed for a one-night excursion and couldn't have had a better time. There are some hiking trails nearby (Pittsburgh Lakes trailhead was just a little farther up the road from us) and lots of open space for my husband to run the dog out by chasing his RC car. We visited in September before the leaves started to change, but fall would be a beautiful time to camp, but be prepared for cold once the sun goes down. Overall, this is my type of camping--primitive and isolated to enjoy being outside.

Gear Review: Banner & Oak Apparel and Hats

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get the awesome opportunity to test out gear once in a while. While I was in Mineral Basin, I had the chance to try out a shirt as well as a hat from Banner and Oak. Being a busty female, I am always hesitant to purchase female cut clothing online as sizing is so inconsistent I can never be sure of it fitting. However, I was very surprised (and pleased) to have the Coyote - Indigo shirt not only fit but was comfortable. The female cut with shorter sleeves and contoured sides made me feel like I was wearing a comfy tee without the boxy feel. The material is a soft jersey blend which didn't shrink when washed. I think this is going to be my go-to shirt for everyday summer wear as well as my outdoor adventures. I also purchased a few hats. Because I was not too excited about the ladies hats (the only design I liked was in pink and I am not a pink kinda gal), I purchased the men's Bighorn - Khaki for myself and the Switchback - Gray for my husband. The Bighorn  has a curved brim which the Switchback is a flat brim. Both have adjustable mesh backs but if you tighten it too much it will look a little funny. These are definitely men's hats as they crown is taller but I didn't mind it. The construction of these hats is very sturdy--the crown is solid and won't become misshapen if it is caught in the rain (or left out for morning dew like mine was). I also liked the color scheme which as earthy and outdoorsy--definitely that go-to hat for outdoor adventures. The only negative I found is the brim inside will need to be worn in a little as the build it rigid and the fabric is a little scratchy as it is more of a canvas material. Overall, Banner and Oak has created a great line of products which are fashionable, comfortable, and most importantly durable to keep up with the outdoor enthusiast.

Very clean and super camp host!

I really loved this campground! And I really love Diamond Fork Hotsprings! I can’t wait to visit again! We camped the Thursday after Labor bad and had the entire campground almost all to ourselves! On Labor Day weekend there wasn’t an empty campsite. Cost is $22 for a single site, $44 for a double. We arrived to camp around 7:30 and pitched our tent then headed up the road a few more miles to the parking area for Diamond Fork (5th water) Hot Springs. I recommend visiting the Hotspring at night in the summer to escape the overwhelming crowds. There were only a handful of people at the springs during our evening visit. The trail to the springs is about 2.4 miles in. We returned to camp around 1 AM and slept soundly in the still, quiet nature. You can hear the stream babble nearby. We slept in and as we were breaking down camp, Marc, the camp host stopped by to se how our visit was and if we needed anything. What a wonderful man! We chatted for quite a while about the area and he offered to give us a tour of the campground in his golf cart. This is a pretty leather campground! 3 separate loops. There are some hike in tent sites but they are set up for dual tents and are priced as such so they are $44 which is quite speedy for a pack in tent site. There is a well maintained nature trail the passes through the campground. There are educational kiosks along the trail. There are multiple restrooms throughout the campground. The 2 I used were very clean considering it was post holiday weekend.
Each campsite had a fire ring, grill, and a picnic table. Tent sites all offered nice level areas for pitching your tent. You can purchase fire wood from the camp host. This is a great place and I can’t wait to return!

Great clubhouse

Really nice RV resort near Interstate. Pull throughs or back in on paved level sites. Picnic table. FHU. Sites typically close with grass area seperating. No shade or privacy. Narrow interior roads. Nice bathhouses with private shower/toilets. Wifi and cable. Great play area. Bikes available including kid sized. Paved 80 mile bike trail along Jordan River. Giant chessboard. Nice pool area. Amazing clubhouse with pool table, foosball, large TV, comfy chairs, guest kitchen area. Complimentary coffee, tea and fresh made cookies. Friendly, helpful employees!

Great for a quick getaway

Loud neighbors kept us up till 3am and when we complained that offered to move us for $40. Eventually was able to get the camphost to y’all to the folks next to us. Otherwise beautiful and super convenient. Would return again

Beautiful, Open, accessible

Come in on Hwy 35 to the summit and Wolf Creek Campground. Turn left into the grounds then left again to get to the road that leads to the FR91 which will take you back to the primitive areas. The sites are mixed in with pines and Aspen trees, some with great views out on the rim, and most with rock fire rings and plentiful firewood. This is off the beaten path a bit, but it still gets heavily used in the summer months, but there is thousands of acres to find a spot, and some sizable 5th wheels and Motorhomes are up there. Cell service is spotty, and there are no stores close by unless you travel down towards Kamas or Tabiona, so pack what you will need. Water also is only available at official campgrounds, although not as far as food still an inconvenience to fetch. The great thing about this area is your ability to explore, whether it be on foot, bike, ATV or car, there is something for everyone. Remember pack out what you pack in and leave it better than you found it. Enjoy.

Camp Maple Dell is an ideal place to camp!

If you don't want to drive for hours to unplug and enjoy nature, Maple Dell is just 5 miles up the Payson Canyon, has a lot of leafy trees for shade, most campsites have a pavilion and picnic table. It's a local favorite and a hidden gem. In the summer it's occasionally used for Scout/youth adventure activities, so if you have large groups interested in a little adventure, you can customize a package with the camp organizers. #worthit

I love this camp ground. Close to awesome fishing and beautiful.

I have stayed here a couple times. We like campsite #38 because it is a double spot that can fit 3 or more cars or a truck and boat or large RV or trailer. It has a few flat spots for tents, and 2 tables and a nice fire ring. There are also lots of aspen trees that are nice for hanging a hammock in. The double spot is $46 a night and single is $23

Aspen grove is a beautiful camp site with lots of Aspen trees and in a valley it is a 5 minute walk to the marina of Strawberry. you also can launch a boat at the marina and you are only 5 minutes from the damn, were we caught some 22+ inch cutthrouts and other trout at the damn as well as a few smaller fish.

We caught around 250 crawfish that we cooked and ate at out camp site that night as well as cooking some steaks as well we had a surf and turf it made for a yummy dinner.

There is a water spiket at each campsites and bathrooms are close with running water. There is also a big dumpster to get rid of your trash. There is firewood you can purchase from the camp host. The camp host is really friendly and helpful.

I have stayed here each year in September and there is always spots open. It is better to call ahead because it can fill up. This is a beautiful campsite when the leafs start to change color. This in one of the nicest places to stay in Utah. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232390

Another Wasatch gem

Product review posted with day use review! The day use are is fun for lunch or picnic, we came here just for a hike and a bite too eat. Easy trails around with some harder ones if you want to explore. Very short drive up, and very worth it.

Product review: As a ranger for the Dyrt, we get to have test certain outdoor products. And this time while camping and hiking in the Wasatch mountain range, we were able to review https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/scrambler-black we absolutely love this company now, for starters, we ordered 3 hats from them. Someone stole the package from our porch, or the delivery company misplaced it. Either way, banner and oak replaced it, we felt very taken care of when we had an immediate response. For starters the rockhopper trucker hat is authentic, it’s just not for us. I love the actual feel of the cloth as liner, but it really just fits my head weird. 3/5 on that one, solely for it not fitting right any almost 30$ for a trucker hat.. we hate to do it. Next we have the classic strap back trailhead hat. For 15$ it’s perfect, you can’t ask for too much with a flat bill strapback but it’s there to deliver. Comfortable fit, easy on the wallet. We’d buy it again. Now here is the most amazing hat you’ll wear. Ever wonder why those road bicycle guys never look too sweaty in their hats, but they just look geeky. Banner and oak found a way to fit in the very small window of comfortable and not geeky. It breathes amazing, it’s comfy, even the plastic in the back it’s made better, you can get it wet, it drys. It looks good. It’s my favorite hat now. Hike with it, walk with it, fly with it, bike with it, it’s the hat you need. For 29$ it’s the last hat you’ll want to buy. I’m talking about the scrambler. Get it.

Primitive camping with lots of hikes.

This is a nice place to camp. Only about a mile from the fifth water parking lot and a few miles hike from the hot pots. Really good fishing in both the fifth water river and Diamond Fork. The camp sites are first come first serve. They are big sites and can hold a few tents each. Their are nice picnic tables and fire rings a pit style bathroom is available across the river.

Lots of amazing scenery around. Great hikes, great fishing, amazing places to ride horses, or just amazing views.

There are lots of trees around for shade and oak brush. I have seen elk, deer, moose, and black bear in this area so bring a camera and don't leave food in your tent.

Very quiet

This was a lovely way to start our vacation. We had a space that overlooked the lake.

Just be sure you have long enough water and electric hose. The park is directional and our water and power services were on the wrong side. But other than that is was great.

Great place to get out of the heat of summer

This is a great place to camp. You are really close to fifth water and the start of the trail to the hot pots. There is lots of big cotton wood trees for shade. The spots are big enough for a tent or RV. All spots have a nice picnic table and fire ring. There is bathrooms close and they are clean. There is a really nice river walk trail that is fun for kids and adults and the fishing is really good in the river that is close by. I have stayed here a few times and have never found a spot I didn't like. It can get busy in the summer so call or reserve ahead of time. there are lots of single sites for $24 a night or or group sites of $48 you can also reserve a huge group site with pavilion and up to 75 people for $145 a night which is awesome if you want to do a family party or reunion in an amazing canyon. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=9855&actid=29

The views are amazing lots of red rocks and cliffs to see. Lots of great hikes, the fishing for brown trout, and cutthroat trout in diamond fork river or the fifth water river can be amazing and you don't see a lot of anglers so that makes it way fun. If you stay here make sure to take the time to hike up to fifth water hot pots it is amazing.

There were some bugs but not to many to be annoying. I have seen snakes on some of the hikes so watch out where you step. I have seen elk, deer, moose, wild turkeys, and black bear in and around the area and campsite so don't leave food in your tent and clean up your campsite.

This is a very clean campground the camp staff takes pride in this campground. There is firewood available from the camp staff and fire is legal in fire pits.

Lots of shade trees make it lots cooler in the summer so you can beat the heat.

Great Campground

We stayed for 3 nights here and loved the Campground/area. We had two RVs and a tent and the pull through locations were great. Bathrooms were the cleanest I've ever seen a campground bathroom be! Firewood was available to purchase, close to the lake.

Idyllic campground - leafy, shady, ponds...beautiful!

I love Camp JJ! Easy distance to civilization, fun things like a real train caboose, and a green, leafy, beautiful area to set up camp! The ponds just add to the peaceful nature that surrounds this camp. (Fishing is catch and release only).

Beautiful views, desert-like area.

This campgroudn has beautiful views. It is a dry area and hot mid-summer, but good base for ATV, bike, and hunting areas. No ATV/bike riding or hunting on the campground - just a good base camp for those types of activities. It's a developing camp, so while it's free-range and fairly primitive camping, the current construction is eventually expected to provide potable water, campsites, flushing toilets, and showers.

Remote, Quiet and Beautiful

Located in National Forest at 8,000 ft with lots of sites, many of them pull through with fire rings. Lots of trees for privacy and, when we were there 8/25 - 8/27, were the only ones other than the camp hosts. Brought bikes and there were ample riding areas. A couple miles up the hill at 9,000 ft the views are truly spectacular. Continuing over the 38 mile scenic highway is well worth the drive with sheer drop offs demanding full attention ending in Nephi.

No electricity

No hookups

Great overnight

$20 a night can't beat it.

Hidden Gem

My family and I have been coming here for years. It has a lot of trailer spots that are almost all pull throughs and have hook ups. It’s fun to bring kayaks and float the river. The people who manage the camp ground have done a wonderful job.

Too close to a major city- noisy and unsafe.

Stayed here for Father's Day. Everything that could go wrong did. First someone took our campsite. I spoke to the male adult putting up the tent he told me the "guy" said it was ok for him to camp there. I went to speak to the Camp Host who said he had actually told them it was "ok if no one showed up". Possibly the stupidest thing to tell a family with several young children as guests can show up at any time during the night; something CLEARLY evidenced by all the motorcycle noise and car lights that night. I asked the host if he could help me vacate the campsite but he refused. So I had to have an totally uncomfortable conversation with a Dad who was very upset. He kept asking how did I reserve the site so I told him that it was listed on Recreation.org and that anyone could reserve it months ahead of time.  Next morning we also had people shooting in the woods behind the campground- apparently shooting the trees is a thing people do for fun here. Try to play this game- people having fun or mass shooter? Who knows! There were also a LOT of flies everywhere this time of year and they just kept going on our clothes and hair- it was disgusting. People were chopping  trees to make firewood. The Squirrels are pretty aggressive getting really close and jumping on our table while we ate, several managed to chew holes in our our gear. OH and the water was shut off because they had just tested it and it was positive for E.Coli- FUN!  I don't recommend at all. Go further into the canyon if you seek some quiet.

Close to town and you don’t know it.

Spent only one night but had the whole Campground to ourselves. Nice big level spot with fire pit and separate upright grill. Bathrooms clean with flush toilets, running water but no showers. No amenities such as electric sewer or water. Has a playground, sand volleyball, boat launch as your near the Jordan River. Definitely will return…

No overnight camping allowed.

Beautiful lake, beach area is just ok. Can launch very small boats, or jet skis here instead of paying next door at the marina :)!!

Best Cirque Camping in all of Utah!

I've been wanting to summit Lone Peak since I first moved to Utah in 2012.  Since then I've become an avid climber/mountaineer and decided that the only way I'm gonna stand on top is if I climb the 500' cirque walls to the top!  These collection of primitive campgrounds is the base camp for any such climb and for people that can't do the standard hiking trail in a day or just want to spend some time in a glorious alpine cirque!  The trail up is steep, dusty and downright loose, but the payback at the top is unlike any other Wasatch hike I've done! When you arrive in the cirque you're greated by 270 degrees of granite wall towering up to 600' tall!

The campsites are scattered along the trail with the first coming about a mile for the cirque proper on the right in a meadow.  More campsites pop up as you head up to the right off the standard hiking trail and up to the cirque.  Once in the cirque you can toss your tent up or simply lay on the ground with a bivy as it is soft and flat enough.  Be warned however to bring a lot of water (at least 3 L each) and a filter if you plan on staying overnight in the cirque.  All water is runoff so also make sure there is still snow up there as that is your only water supply.  Water typically runs dry in mid July but in fat snowpack years like this last one, the snow looks like it'll last into the first couple weeks of September!  Just remember to be safe and keep an eye on the weather to the west, this ain't your typical Wasatch outing!

Hidden gem

This camp site surprised me, good location for driving to various hikes in the uintas, a nice river runs along several of the camping sites. Worth checking out. I stayed at site 10 and it was close to a water faucet which was nice.

Beautiful and only 20 minutes from home.

This is a great spot to pitch a tent close to the creek or take your RV. If you are planning on camping on the weekend plan on a crowd because it is so close to AF. Week days are the easiest days to get a spot. Call ahead and reserve a spot for a weekend. I have stayed here a few times and really haven't found a bad campsite. They are all roomy and close to the creek.

All spots have a nice fire ring pit, nice picnic table, bathrooms, and lots of shade and room. Most are creek side or close enough to the creek that you can hear it. You are also close to the road so the creek sounds drown out the road sounds.

This is really close to tibble fork reservoir, or timpanogos cave National monument. Both spot are only a 5 minute drive. Because this campground is so close to AF and Lehi it can get really busy in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Go mid week or book your spot in advance. This is a great spot to sit by the fire and beat the summertime heat in a beautiful canyon.

As far as wildlife there are deer, elk, big horn sheep, wild turkeys, squirrels and black bear. Even being so close to the city you can and will see lots of wildlife.

I have stayed here a bunch of times like I said mostly on the week days because the weekends get so crowded from what I can tell there is no bad spots in this campground. There are lots of big rocks the kids can play on good hikes close by, lots of great rock climbing and the creek is fun to play in and has some really good fishing, make sure to bring your pole or fly rod because there are lots of hungry trout in the creek.

You can get online reservations so that you know you have a spot at their website, it is better to book ahead on weekends or on summer holidays. Site start at $24 and go up in price.  https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/231935

Nice spot close to home.

I took the scouts up to this spot and it is a great place to camp with lots of room. Make sure you get camped and in because they lock the gate coming into campground at 11PM and you have to hike in. Really nice campsites with really nice bathrooms and picnic tables. There is a huge spot of grass that you can play sports or baseball on. Can't remember the site we had but there was a huge rock that was fun for the scouts to climb on. Really nice spots with lots of trees and shade. This is really close to some really good hikes like Stewart Falls, and tibble fork reservoir just minutes for your camp site. In the summer call ahead because this area can be busy.