Dixie National Forest, UTAH
Most Recent Dixie National Forest Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Morsel XL spork in Bryce Canyon Utah

Campground Review

Ruby’s Inn RV Park and Campground Definitely the closest campground outside of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah with all the amenities (absolutely positively everything) and even a buffet and restaurant within walking distance. We visited Bryce Canyon in the off season and it was still super crowded but worth the views and experience! I would highly recommend making reservations well in advance and planning your trip accordingly in the summer. You can catch the bus right outside the campground that takes you straight into The National Park so you don’t have to stress about parking (big hassle trust me). We really enjoyed this campground and would definitely stay here again!

Product Review

As a Ranger for the https://thedyrt.com/, occasionally I have the great opportunity to test and review products. At this Campground we had the pleasure of being introduced to https://morselspork.com/ and Wow.. was my first reaction! This XL Morsel is going to be a game changer.. Let’s get down and Dirty and talk sporks!

It’s length alone is the first noticeable upgrade in comparison to generic double sided utensils as seen in my pictures. Standing tall at 10.5 inches the XL Morsel will give you the ability to scrape, scour and reach deep into a dehydrated meal pouch without getting your hands a sticky mess

The second thing I personally noticed out of the box was its giant rubber sided spoon, perfect for scooping and teething according to our little. The spork itself seems extremely durable and also able to withstand boiling water temperatures. Not to mention dishwasher safe. The serrated cutting edge is also a worthy mention! It sliced and Avocado great!

Overall We loved it and we would love to tell the world this this spork has everything the others don't but that’s obvious from the picture comparison. I wish I had an action shot of lunch but I know there will be more chances because  I’ll never leave for an adventure without the https://morselspork.com/ XL again! Even ordered the mini for our “minis” to test on the next stop!

Amazing campground!

I camped at Kodachrome for two nights back in October 2018.

I got to the campground at around 8:30pm and it was honestly pretty late and the park was super dark. I spent a little too much time exploring Bryce Canyon NP but good thing Kodachrome was only a 30-min drive from the park.

Since I was traveling by myself, it really gave me the peace of mind knowing that there was still a ranger on site to check me into my campsite.

The campground is located in the heart of some of the most beautiful rock formations. I’m not super into stargazing but I can imagine stargazer fans would definitely enjoy the dark skies here. There’s not too much shade for the campsite but they are far away enough from the others so you get to enjoy a good level of privacy.

I didn’t use the showers but they looked very nice and modern. On the way to the campground, I also noticed a laundromat on site. There’s no cell service here but I also use AT&T and that might be why.

Firewood is sold on site and there’s also water easily accessible.

I would definitely come back to the campground! 👌🏼

Quaint

We stayed here for one night on our way from Escalante through BCNP and back to SLC. We had a spot next to the water. It was calm and quiet. The bathrooms were immaculate and we loved the little mile hike in the campground. Despite the crazy amount of red ants, we loved the spot and would definitely come back!

Best deal

Very close to Zion and but nothing else around. Newer facilities but WiFi not great at sites- just in main house. Not very busy and price was great!! (Especially after paying unreasonable amounts in Moab). Staff friendly and showers/laundry/comfy couches to chill at and play cards. Full hook ups:)

Friendly and beautiful

We really enjoyed this campground after a few days travel. Well maintained and very helpful staff. The only downfall I would say was price. We had a gorgeous view though.

Quiet location in Escalante

This is an older, smaller RV Park that has several cabins and a few tent sites. The RV sites are typically pull through and both 30 AMP and 50 AMP are available. Nothing hyper here, but a well maintained park with nice restrooms and showers and a laundry. Located next door to a recommended restaurant and within a half mile of Escalante Outfitters - Espresso, Pizza, Salads and books and gear for your Utah Canyons adventures. Also a half mile to the Official Visitor Center: BLM, NPS and USFS - to answer all your wandering questions.

Great campground

This campground is great for exploring Zion National Park. Each campsite has a fire pit and picnic table. There are restrooms with running water and electricity. Only a short walk from a shuttle station and Visitor’s Center. We also had deer around our campsite every morning and evening.

Good stop over for the night

A nice little stop over for the night. Going down gravel/dirt road you find a few pull out areas big enough for multiple RVs and a number of smaller spots for tents. Peaceful spot, a few rock fire rings and good cell service (ATT).

Rains may make road questionable and road is close to river. End of BLM land is clearly marked at end of road.

Crazy Caterpillar Camping

Seems like a crazy title BUT have you ever sat around the campfire and had it raining caterpillars? Literally? There is apparently an invasion of caterpillars in Zion right now(end of April), millions of caterpillars everywhere.. Beyond the take-over this is a beautiful campground with the Virgin River at its side. Our Family enjoyed this campground tremendously, our 5 year old loved the caterpillars even more! Speaking of tiny humans be sure to pick up their Junior Ranger Program either at the Visitor Center(off season) or the Nature center(peak season) and they too can Earn a nifty Junior Ranger Badge! With plenty to do for all ages in the nearby museum there are also 2 trails that are accessible from the campground, the watchman trail (moderate 3.3) and the Pa’rus trail that is paved for handicap and cyclists with gorgeous views of the swift Virgin River. I would advise everyone to make your reservations 2 weeks in advance! We got lucky but spent half the day just waiting to know IF we could get a site. The town of Springdale just on the outside of the park is accessible from the campgrounds with a Market and several gear outfitters. Not to mention the Zion Brewery which was fantastic too! Overall great experience even with all the creepy caterpillars!

Bryce Canyon camping

We loved Bryce! This campground was huge! With so much close by this campground was hard to pass up, we visited the queens garden trail which was spectacular but super super crowded. The visitor center was also really nice, be sure to pick up your Junior ranger book on your way into the park if you have kiddos. The book gives them a chance to learn and earn a nifty Junior ranger badge by completing age appropriate tasks along their journey. There was a Market inside of Zion that had everything for hiking, hydration and camping galore. I would highly recommend making your reservations 2 weeks ahead of time the campgrounds fill up fast during the peak season. Overall great experience!

TeePee Experience

I thought it would be funny to camp in a teepee one night while passing through Bryce Canyon National Park…

The upside: It was humorous to the three teens/preteens with me; it was a unique experience they won't forget. The warm shower was divine.

The downside: We froze our butts off! There were so many bugs (and no way to close the seams of the teepee). It was in a high-traffic area. People were constantly coming to our teepee and looking in…

It was fun, but next time we'll return to our style of camping: dispersed, remote, quiet.

Great primitive site!

It's primitive with no bathrooms or water, so know that going in. For a primitive campground, very nice! There are only 5 of them, so plan ahead if you want to camp here. I saw quite a few wildlife while here including deer and raccoons. True to Zion fashion there are TONS of squirrels who will steal your food, so watch out for that :)

Pretty Good!

This campground was nice. Good spot, pretty views! Overall, enjoyable. Would return! Bryce Canyon is COLD this time of year, so the ground was covered with snow, but we expected this and packed accordingly.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

This campground was great for us! Large campsites, ours held our car and an 8 person tent with plenty of room to cook, hang out, and kick a soccer ball around. Bathrooms are clean and drinking water is cold! It's also GORGEOUS with amazing views of The Watchman from the site and two hiking trails next to the campground. Be sure to book online ASAP (2 weeks in advance is the earliest allowed) because these sites fill up super fast.

A Wonderful Surprise After a Week of Sleeping on the Ground

We finished out our Spring Break Outdoor recreation trip by clamping in one of the canvas tents at Ponderosa. I'd never been so excited to sleep in a bed. We slept with 5 people in each tent. The tents were accommodated with 4 beds (2 twin, 1 Queen, and 1 pull-out couch). We were provided with a power strip for phone charging as well as electricity, extra blankets, and towels.

While we were too tired to take advantage of all the activities offered at the resort, we spent a good amount of time in the hot tub and pool which we had all to ourselves. We then finished out the evening by cooking burgers over the fire and taking showers.

We woke up the next morning to a light dusting of snow, but were not cold during the night. We then enjoyed the all you can eat breakfast which was very nice, especially after having to wake early and make our own food over a temperamental stove each morning.

All in all, Ponderosa was a fabulous experience and I would highly recommend it (Plus it's located literally just outside of the Zion Park border).

Beautiful backpacking trip

Did an awesome 3 day hike of the hurricane wash. Hiked in, set up camp, explored further, slept first night. Left our tents and gear and did a day pack hike totalling 16 miles down and back up the canyon. Third day was back out. It was amazing…other than the extreme leave no trace rules (ALL waste carried out).

Spacious campsites, clean bathrooms, friendly staff

The campsites are very spacious and have trees between sites to feel more secluded from your neighbors.

The bathrooms are extremely clean and updated. Prolly the nicest shower I have ever been in! They keep it clean daily too.

Firewood for purchase 24/7.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly and came and checked on campers and helped with anything they could.

The campground is close to several trails in the park and is also close to horseback riding trails if you’re interested in that!

They also have a washroom with washers and dryers that are only used by paying campers.

Being at a high elevation, it was great at night to have a cool breeze after a long hot day in the desert.

The campground is away from public and really gives you a great camping feeling.

Loved this place!!

My Favorite Park, Get Close to The Rim

Bryce Canyon is my favorite place in the world. There are no words the do it justice. If you have not seen those rock hoodoo's in person that seem to emit their own glow, you just have to do it!

A great place to camp while you are there is the North Campground. Our van fit in one of the tent loops (<20ft long) which happens to be right along the Rim Trail with peek-a-boo views of the hoodoos. From our site on Loop C we could hop on the Rim Trail, stop at the General Store for a snack, keep going to Sunrise Point, and hike the Navajo Loop/Queen's Garden Trail. So nice to be able to park the van and forget it. We were able to catch sunset and sunrise just by walking out of our site and over to the edge.

Everything was first come, first serve. We got to Bryce Canyon early in the morning and started driving loops looking for paper slips on posts. If the post was empty, the site was open. Tent site was $20. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit, wood available for purchase at the General Store. Water spigots were centrally located and bathrooms were standard flush toilet, running water, tiny sink. Hardly any privacy between sites, at least in loop C, but I find that's the norm in National Parks.

Awesome in the winter

Stayed here in the winter and had a lovely time. The park was pretty empty, and this gave me a chance to explore so many great areas, including The Narrows, with limited interruption. Highly recommend Zion in the winter!

Easy to Find off the Road

We needed a spot not too high in elevation (there was still snow) and right off the road so we could just pack up in the AM and get going.

It was easy to set up and was far enough off the road where we didn't hear the loud trucks passing by. Easy to get to Cedar Breaks from there. Just up the road you can see the overlook of Zion, which was super cool!

I wouldn't camp here in the rain, it seems easy to flash flood through this canyon.

Cool

Very good

yearly campground

When we start planning our trip every summer we plan it around Red Canyon Campground. Unfortunately last year they had an unusual amount of rain and they had a slide in the upper campground trapping some campers in rock. After digging them out, they closed the upper campground and said they would fix it over the winter.

My favorite campsite

doesn't matter if your tent camping or using an RV I guess I'm kind of partial to this campground my family has had our reunions here for 100+ years. There are freshwater places where you can hook up and get fresh water and there is a RV clean-out spot, and there are restrooms.

For those that need it DuckCreekVillage down the road has a store, gas station, and cabins you can rent. You can also go online and reserve a spot if you need to or a cabin or whatever you like in the area

Well Kept Sight, Decent View

This campground was well kept and the employees were great. The community kitchen, restrooms, and showers were close enough to the sight to be convenient, but far enough away to not wake you up at night with people walking by. The tent sights in the upper portion are on different levels from neighboring sites, so you are separated from your neighbors, but they are close enough if camping with a large group. The upper tent sights have no trees around them, so you get a great view of the stars on a clear night, and you can watch the sun rise and set on the cliffs, but if you look to the left of the cliffs, you get a great view of an industrial-type area. Because there are no trees around the upper sites (and it's nearly impossible to drive a tent stake into the ground), windy nights can get really crazy. I had weighted the corners of my tent with everything I could (camp chairs, suitcase, even some rocks), but the tent still blew around and collapsed on me. Overall a great campground with KOA standards, I just have an old tent and some bad luck.

Beautiful lake camping

the drive in takes a while- slow on gravel. Lake is absolutely beautiful. The vault toilets were clean and the hiking was pristine. We'll be back when its better swimming weather!

a place to sleep but nothing to write home about

for how epic Bryce is, this place is pretty blah and overpriced. Points earned are for clean bathrooms and premises. All in all pretty dull experience. Come for the park, not for the campground.

Lava Point or Try the Back Country

Lava Point is a First come First Serve campground. It is small so get there early. You will take Kolob Terrace Road North. This will get you away from most of the crowds near Springdale. My suggestion is get a back country pass and take you pack and tent on one of the many side trails off of Kolob Terrace Road. You will see some beautiful country and you won't have to fight the crowds for a campsite. You are also at a higher elevation so it is a little cooler than down in the main park.

This is one of the most beautiful places on earth!

South Camp Ground is amazing, but it doesn't take long term reservations

South Campground is gorgeous. It is great if you are willing to take the risk for the first come first served. I am traveling from too far away to take that risk so I always stay in Watchman. If I lived closer I would take a shot at staying in South Campground. My advice, get there early because it fills up fast!

I used my Sony Camera rather than my Iphone for these pics. I think they turned out much better than my Watchman pics.

Quiet spot

Nice, peaceful spot in the National Forest. Not much in the way of amenities, just a toilet. Really liked the sites being more set back in the trees.

Nice and quiet!

This spot is right off the hwy but very peaceful. Lots of great tree cover. Best part is you can have your dogs here!