the dyrt
About Devils Garden Campground
Devils Garden Campground is located deep within the heart of beautiful Arches National Park in Southeastern Utah, at an elevation of approximately 5200 ft.. The campground is situated among natural sandstone arches and fins and is only 18 miles north of the parks entrance and 23 miles from Moab, Utah. Natural Features: The campground is forested with mixed stands of Utah juniper and pinyon pine. Flowering prickly pear cacti, yucca and other desert wildflowers dot the landscape, offering vivid color to the surrounding red rock desert. Arches National Park has the highest concentration of natural arches in the world. Over 2,500 of these unusual rock formations can be found here. Towering spires, fins and balanced rocks complement the arches, creating a remarkable assortment of landforms in a relatively small area. The park is within an arid, high desert environment with hot summers and cold winters. Recreation: Hiking trails are abundant in Arches, including the Broken Arch Trail, a scenic loop with a trailhead conveniently located within the campground. Trails are varied and offer something for everyone, from the easy 0.3-mile loop around Balanced Rock to the steep and strenuous 3-mile round-trip trail to Delicate Arch. Other recreational activities in the park include guided hiking tours of the Fiery Furnace, an off-road vehicle route, road biking and picnicking. Facilities: Devils Garden contains 51 campsites that are available for reservation (Including the two group sites and one accessibility site), offering visitors a great opportunity to stay overnight in a unique national park. Roads and parking spurs are paved, allowing smooth access for all types of travelers. A campground host is located on-site. Flush toilets and drinking water are provided, and campsites contain picnic tables and fire rings. The park does not have dump stations, or electric, water, or sewer hook-ups for RVs. There are also no showers. Nearby Attractions: Southeastern Utah offers breathtaking scenery, hiking, road and mountain biking opportunities, rafting and scenic driving routes. Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park are within a 45-minute drive of Arches entrance. Moab offers numerous restaurants, shops and museums. The desert around Moab is a mountain bikers dream, with hundreds of miles of slickrock and single-track trails for all riding abilities. ACTIVITIES Interpretive Programs: Evening Programs Hiking Day Use Area: Amphitheater
Sites
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Devils Garden Campground is located in Arches National Park in Utah
Directions
From I-70, take Exit 182. Travel south for 26 miles to the park entrance. Take the park road 18 miles to Devils Garden. From Moab, take Highway 191 north for 4.5 miles to the park entrance. Take the park road 18 miles to Devils Garden.
49 Reviews of Devils Garden Campground
Beautiful campground, flawed administrative system!

This review covers two topics: the campground itself (4 stars) and the reservation/check-in process (1 star - more on that later). The campground itself is quite a drive from the entrance but is very beautiful. Well-maintained but sires vary greatly. Some are narrow pull-throughs; some have beautiful views and generous back-in drives. Good privacy between most sites (but not between 2 and 3). Cell service is spotty (Verizon); sometimes you get two bars and sometimes no service. Bathrooms were generally clean but no garbage can, hooks or soap (hand sanitizer dispensers) and they were serviced regularly during our stay. Solar lights on the path to the amphitheater/bathrooms were helpful. Two hiking trailheads can be accessed directly from the campground. No water spigots but each bathroom had a dishwashing sink which was much appreciated. Now for the flawed administrative system! We had reservations made six months in advance for three nights. We arrived a little after 4pm to find both the admission station and visitor center closed. No problem as we proceeded directly to the campground. There was a sign saying it was full and each site had a reserved placard but with no identifying information. Each night we were there, multiple sites remained empty. There was no camp host or ranger on-site during our entire stay. The only employees we saw were maintenance. Even the visitor center was unaware there was no camp host. Firewood locked up and not able to purchase. Fortunately, everyone was well behaved but it could have been quite a different situation if there had been a problem. Arches is a beautiful park and we are glad we had a good stay but hopefully their system will be overhauled soon!

Beautiful spot

We went in March. They don’t have hookups but it is a beautiful spot to stay in the park.

Amazing! Site 002

Devil's Garden is the most beautiful campground I have stayed at. It is very hard to get a spot, the slots fill within literal seconds of being released. All of the sites are unique and beautiful. This campground is set up so there are no sites backed to each other so you get views behind you, not neighbors! The bathrooms are well kept and have flushing toilets. There are 2 site hosts as the road is fairly long with 52 sites. When we were there the hosts were selling firewood, but the next day they were no longer selling wood in the park so make sure to check ahead. There is no store for other supplies. There is access to a few trails along the end of the of the road in the small loop. This is a fairly long walk if you are at the front of the campground. There is access to trails before the entrance to the campground, which is walkable along the road, but a definetly not close. For the most part the even number campgrounds are backed against red rock formations, the odd numbers are along the canyon side with further reaching views but less protection and privacy, and the highest number campgrounds seemed largest along the back of the loop at the end of the campground. In my experience I was not able to pick the site I wanted because of how quickly they go. I lucked out because I thought our site was the best.

Site 002: This site is the first site past the camp host house. There is a good distance and a very large rock formation between the host and this site. There is no site across the road from this site either, leaving it fairly private on 3 sides. The next site is close but there are several spaces to set up tents. I would say you could fit 3 tents throughout the site. The site is on a hill but the tent areas are fairly flat, although separated from each other. The lowest area was flooded during our stay, as were many areas of the entire campground(and park) from unusually heavy rain. The bathrooms are very close. If I had my pick of sites I would choose the one again.

beautfiul spot

Absolutely stunning spot. Sites had ample space for two tents. Want to come back with more time!

great place to stay in arches

This campground is an awesome place to stay within Arches. It's at the very top of the park, so be ready for a long drive in. The sites are really nice. Plenty of space and pretty secluded. Be aware that the ground is hard, so difficult to get tent stakes in the ground. Also, the weather can change pretty quick here, so just be aware.

The sites all have fire rings and picnic tables. I stayed in a tent, so not 100% sure, but I don't think there are hookups for RVs. There is access to fresh water and toilets. No showers though.

My favorite part about camping here was how far away from everything it feels. The stars are crazy here. Also the hiking around is awesome. Even for those of you who aren't avid hikers, there are some cool shorter trails. The trail to Mesa Arch is only about a mile long and pretty easy. It's one of the coolest places to view the sunrise in the park. This being said, its also one of the most popular, so be ready to see other people.

Really unique national park and an awesome place to stay within it.

Good Views and Lots of Privacy

Stayed here 2 nights in mid-September, loved it! Our spot was spacious and offered great views. We had plenty of privacy and the bathrooms were clean. Best place to stay when visiting arches, several hikes within a short distance of the campground.

Quiet, beautiful and in a perfect setting

We tent camped here a couple times and loved every minute. The stars at night were incredible. This is a great basecamp for exploring Arches NP, but is a bit removed from the other Moab spots due to the long drive to get out of the park. There are clean flush toilets and drinking water, but no shower facilities. Lots of places to explore right from the campground itself.

Awesome!

Devils garden campground is awesome. virtually every site has an incredible view. our site a slot canyon behind it that we could climb in. sites aren't "big" but are adaquet. campground is at the very back of the park so it is a drove to some hikes but being at the back will keep you away from the traffic. overall, one of the best campgrounds I've been too. Only knock is no camp store nearby.

Amazing experience

We went at the end of March and it was a little hot and windy during the day, but ended up waking up to snow cover the campgrounds. It was an amazing experience to see even though it ruined some of the climbing for that day. The bathrooms were in good shape and had a place to clean dishes. Great hiking around the area.

Can't Beat The Views

Nothing better than being in the big middle of Arches! I spent $25 at this site to get a little closer to the Arches themselves versus staying more in the Moab town area.  I was really excited to know that I could camp in an area that previously I wasn’t aware was an option from the first visit.

This is a pretty tough one to score however if you are coming on weekends or during busy times as it is first come first serve without reservation. I would suggest trying to make reservations however because there are not even 30 sites.

The sunsets here are unparalleled as you are right in the heart of everything and you can explore the park fully from this area simply by taking a walk.

I do suggest grabbing a map when you get here so you can find the perfect path to the stops you will want to see. To many arches to to count within just a short distance.

I will say if you are used to camping under trees or where there are a lot of amenities you will want to go into town, but for the adventure seeker who wants limited amenities and more access this one is for you.  It was one of the most unique sites I have been to and because I was there in fall it was ideal conditions for camping during the day, but a little cool in the evening with no real vegetation to stop the winds.

The site I chose was large enough for my taste as I am a tent camper and need a very small footprint for my tent and my economy car.  I had more than enough room to set up and enjoy my picnic table and fire ring in this area and not feel crowded or cramped at all.

I only wish I had been able to keep my rain fly off at night, but because the temperatures dropped I put it on to keep some of the warmth in my tent so I did miss the truly dark skies in the area which would have been amazing to catch some stars.

TIPS:

• Bring everything you need so you won’t have to go into town unless you really want to.  There are no stores for things you might need at your campsite nearby.
  • Pack a jacket for every occasion not just chilly nights but also rain just in case.