Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, UTAH
Camping Utah Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
Most Recent Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Off the grid

Good dispersed camping close to main road and access to awesome hiking.

Great

Other than the customer service, this camp ground was amazing! Perfect location. Reasonable prices! Clean bathrooms, for the most part. Lots of bugs in the sinks in the morning but that’s camping for you.

Nice

Great store and lots of sites

Nice but pricey

Very convenient with several sites pverlooking Lake Powell. Beach within walking and good wifi.

Amazing views

Great spot will be going back. The views are beautiful. It gets packed, The toilets on the beach are not very often working and are mostly clogged up. There are toilets at the park and out side showers.

Beautiful spot

Amazing area, views to kill, fun for everyone

Fantastic area to visit- pretty campground

Been to this campground 3 times. The spots near the eastern part of the campground are really close together. In the past we snagged a spot in the grass under a Cottonwood tree and that was great. This most recent time we got site 04 which is very convenient and sunny. Not suitable for large tents- the designated space is TINY and boxed in. My extended family was offered a temporary spot right next to the lake.. and the road. They still enjoyed their stay. The Reservoir is amazing- in the past there have been vendors to rent canoes and rafts from but we went on Memorial Day this year and they weren't around yet.

In late June the Cottonwood trees release their floating fluffy seed. If you are allergic this will be a problem but for me it was absolutely magical. There are stores nearby and the entry station has a small store that sells stickers and maps but not food. Stores in this area close early and on Sunday, come prepared.

The bathrooms are clean and the staff is friendly and informative. It can get VERY cold in early season May- we left early due to a major snow storm on Memorial Day so it's a good idea to check the local forecasts. There is also a fantastic hiking trail onsite which is great for the younger kids.

Great Summer Time spot.

We had a great full service spot at camp ground. Stayed 4 days which gave us enough time to explore the area. Great photo opportunities with much to visit. Some very good in town restaurant 15 minutes away. Beautiful skies at night to watch the stars (we saw many shooting stars). Beach area near camp ground was also enjoyable, hot days cool water.

Right on the lake

Beautiful to wake up right next to the lake and surrounding hills, clean amenities and even some charging ports nearby. Perfect location for hiking in Utah, or seeing nearby sites

Great site

It was a weird site. The reservoir was pretty low and I’m not sure if people actually go in it even when it’s high. Great shower and toilet. There was a fish cleaning station. A couple of good pull through spots. There’s a cool trail through a petrified forest that was neat. It was a bit long for the kids (elementary and preschool), and they’re not nearly as impressed by petrified deadfall as we were. We hiked Lower Calf Creek falls from here. The campground at the trailhead was is where we’d try to get in next time. There were a lot of ants, they didn’t get into anything and didn’t bother us much. Probably could though if you’re camping equipment is more tempting or your site is more appealing for them.

Beach camping

I've been coming to lone rock beach for years, its a good inbetween spot coming from canyonlands, monument valley and heading to Zion.    It is dispersed primitive camping and there are no trees so bring umbrellas and easy ups to protect yourself from the sun.   I do not recommend you camp at the beach if its windy unless your in any rv.   Be very careful where you drive it is sand and can swallow your car pretty easily, if you think your getting stuck stop immediately and dig out your tires.   Keep in mind if you are coming here on the weekend or holidays it gets very crowded and is known to the locals as party beach.

There is water available and a dump station.   The water gets shut off in the winter months.   There is also vault toilets available.

It costs $30.00 entry fee and $14.00 to camp.   If you have an annual national park pass the entry fee is free.

Breathtaking!

We enjoyed this campground! We traveled in mid May to Arches National Park and unfortunately encountered quite a bit of rain. The campground itself is situated deep in the park and takes about 20-30 min to drive to from the front gates of the national park. The bathrooms are very clean, although no soap is provided (just hand sanitizer) so bring your own! There is also a dishwashing station which is very convenient. The campground is in a perfect spot in the park to do a lot of the major hiking.

The reason I am providing only four stars is due to the location of our specific campsite number. It is out in the open with no form of shade or protection. If you are wanting some protection from the elements (whether that is rain or sun), I would suggest sites 28-49 as they appear to have some trees and rock formations closer to them.

Overall we enjoyed our time here!

Best RV campground in area with access to Monument Valley and

Stayed at the RV park when visiting Monument Valley in May.  The campground is with 5 miles of the MV entrance.  Clean restrooms and great sights.  Even a few hiking trails off the back of their property,  They also provide complimentary transportation to their grocery store, John Wayne Movie theater, Restaurant and Museum/souvenir shop.  Sights were level with water elec and sewer.  Large washeteria and basic sundry shop on location.  It is also a great location for visiting Mexican Hat, Gooseneck Turn and other regional attractions.

Beach Camping

First-time beach camping and loved it. I arrived at Lone Rock Beach Campground early in the evening after viewing the sunset at Horseshoe Bend. It was already dark, so driving there at night wasn't ideal as I drive over soft sand. Luckily, I have an SUV and a four-wheel drive. There are no designated sites as it is a primitive campground. Many of the larger RVs are parked along the shore with their noisy generators. I found a little spot next to the shore and was able to pitch my tent. There are no picnic tables or fire pits, but you may have an open fire within a four-foot square area.

This campground does get very crowded. There are many boat ramps along the Glen Canyon Recreational Area, so water activities are very popular. However, there are no lifeguards on duty, so go in the water at your own risk. It didn't click to me why this place was called Lone Rock Beach Campground until sunrise when I actually saw a lone rock right in front of where I camped. It was an "AHA" moment. The weather was perfect the next day, as to suppose to the rain that added to the difficulty of getting to the shore.

There were showers, toilets, and dump stations for campers to use. Pets are allowed. Page, AZ is about 15 minutes away if you needed to get supplies as there is no camp store nearby. The fee is free to get in if you have the America the Beautiful Pass but $14 dollars to camp there. It is a great location to camp out especially if you're visiting Zion NP, Antelope Canyon, Page, Glen Canyon, and Horseshoe Bend.

One for the books!

We lucked out with perfect weather! Drove in on my Mazda CX-5 got stuck more toward the far end while trying to scope out the whole area. I was able to easily dig out some sand and head back to the middle area. Parked the car about 120 feet from the water. Without issue. Unfortunately we were side by side with other campers but all friendly and no issues. Overnight camping permits cost $14 +. $30 entrance fee BUT if you have your national park annual pass entry is free:) 15 minutes from horseshoe bend and 1 hour from Zion. Gas up before heading to Zion when heading west the nearest gas station is 50 miles away! This beach is also doggie friendly

Lovely Peaceful Campground

I loved staying at this campground. Arches National Park was our first stop on a road trip we did last summer. National Parks can often feel a little over crowded, almost like an amusement park, but the Devil’s Garden campground felt nice and secluded and peaceful, away from the crowds and buses. The campsites are nestled in between the amazing rocks that the park is famous for. My boyfriend and I loved watching the sunset from our campsite, which was #7. If you are planning on spending a day or more at Arches, I would definitely recommend staying at Devils Garden, but make sure you plan ahead because they fill up fast. I reserved our spot about 5 or 6 months before our trip.

Not terrible!

It was very windy! Our tents kept trying to fly away. We were a little further from the beach because my Toyota Camry could not get through the sand since closer to the beach it was deep sand. Overall not bad. Beautiful views. It was very hot in the morning and my friend and I would wake up sweating so be prepared for that! They have a cold shower to get sand off but at the resort which is very close they have 15 minute showers for $2. No cell service really and no WiFi available except for at the resort. It was the cheapest in the area though at $14 a night!

Every Fathers Day

I have been coming to this site for the last 20 years. Took my dad there. He loved it. And this is where he had his ashes spread. So every Father’s Day my son and I make a trip here. Primitive. No amenities. But it spectacular view of the valley below.

Great Lake Access but no Shade

Wahweap CG was a great roadtrip stop with access to Lake Powell, but in the heat of the sun it was a bummer to not have really any shade at all.  Every campsite was a bit exposed and there is not much privacy between camps.  That said there were restrooms, water, and trash that were all convenient.

There was a nice convenience store and gift shop at the campground check-in location.

I would stay here again, but will probably try other Lake Powell campsites first

Totally awesome !!!

Lake Powell is unbelievable. Great houseboats, fishing, hiking, waterskiing and scenery. Check out Rainbow Bridge just a short boat ride from Wahweap Marina 👍🏼

Nice

Very well taken care of State Park campground. Sites are spaced nicely, most have a fire ring and a grill. Some site have ample tree shade, others come with a sun shade over picnic tables. The earth is very fragile in the Utah desert so the campground has a dishwashing station with running water and a very powerful hose to help prevent erosion within the campground. Be sure to not dump anything in the campsite and extinguish all fires. Bathrooms/showers are clean and maintained. I did not see any hookups for RV’s although many were camping. An hour drive from Bryce Canyon NP and less than 3 hours from Moab. There is a trail up to the petrified forest that is a ~40 min hike, as well as an entire fully preserved petrified tree that was relocated to the park to be held on display. The park itself is about a mile outside of the town of Escalante, UT. The town is small but has a couple gear/outfitting shops, grocers, coffee and ice cream. Great place to camp or pass through if you are doing a tour de Utah.

Best beach camping

Dispersed camping along the beach of Lake Powell. Price when the entry is manned is $44 ($30 day use plus $14 camping fee). Camp anywhere along the beach, but be cautious of getting stuck in the sand, and bring some recovery gear. Flushable pit toilets are available, but you may end up pretty far away from them. Watch out for wind storms, as they come up quickly and will turn tents, awnings, and sun shades into pretzles.

Beautiful scenery!

The tent campground is fairly basic, but they have a picnic table and fire ring, nice restrooms and a beautiful view of Lake Powell. There are also showers and laundry machines at the registration building. I would definitely stay there again!

Quaint

We stayed here for one night on our way from Escalante through BCNP and back to SLC. We had a spot next to the water. It was calm and quiet. The bathrooms were immaculate and we loved the little mile hike in the campground. Despite the crazy amount of red ants, we loved the spot and would definitely come back!

Horrible Park Service

The horrible park service at Arches and recreation.org have problems. Reservations that cancel and show available as "Walk-In" are not. The rangers sell those cancelled reservations to campers who are already staying at the campground and would like extra days. They discouraged us from trying to be there to get any spots opening the next morning and said they were probably all sold, any of the sites that said first come first serve, on recreation.org. Such a disorganized mess. They dont even keep a tally or list as to what they have sold or to which camper. Claim because of no cell service. But they have radios. And a list of cancelled reservations to sell that morning. Such a BS way of running a camp. Reservations only. Which sell out 6 months in advance and go on sale on a certain day. What a mess Arches NP was. Lines to the highway every day, 30+ min to get into the park, nope. Not my style.

Make sure you bring a boat!!

This is a great place to camp close to the lake. Lots of sandy beaches close and lots of fun in Powell. It can get hot so having a place to get out of the sun is key.

Big campsites with a table and nice restrooms. The only problem is in the summer it can be over 100 degrees. This is a great way to see Lake Powell.

Quiet location in Escalante

This is an older, smaller RV Park that has several cabins and a few tent sites. The RV sites are typically pull through and both 30 AMP and 50 AMP are available. Nothing hyper here, but a well maintained park with nice restrooms and showers and a laundry. Located next door to a recommended restaurant and within a half mile of Escalante Outfitters - Espresso, Pizza, Salads and books and gear for your Utah Canyons adventures. Also a half mile to the Official Visitor Center: BLM, NPS and USFS - to answer all your wandering questions.

Rogue camping off the main road

Very is available off the side of this road. No amenities are available. Amazing side sites are available all along hole in the Rock road. Slot canyons and such. Road is wash boarded out so make sure you have the appropriate vehicle to drive into this terrain.

Perfect campground

This spot is incredible. It backs up to some beautiful rocks and the sunrise was to die for. The spots are spread out and nestled between rocks and brush. Quiet, but small campground.

All Fun and Games until..

The dispersed layout is awesome, but has almost zero cover for any tent campers. Especially if youd like to camp next to the lake, which is the basic appeal of being there. Also beware of sand. Saw a car up past the door in a dune, stuck.

The views are great, the water is extremely nice, and the vault toilets are good and plenty in number.

The weather can be unpredictable. Things were going great until 40+ mph winds came through in a snap and lasted all night. We were blasted by sand and wind, then came rain for hours, and temps dropping fast and into low 40's. Piles of sand in the tent, sleeping bags, and every orafice of our bodies. It was brutal. Sunshade poles were bent into multiple U shapes and ruined. Tent held strong, but we did not. Saw clouds building on horizon the same as it had the day prior and we decided to make our escape quickly. The weather that day had a 20% chance of precipitation and no mention of high winds. So again, beware.

If perfect weather, things could have be totally different- But really when is that ever the case?