the dyrt
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, UTAH
Most Recent Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Awesome primitive camping

The campground is right on lake powell and there are no reservations so be sure to get there early for a good spot. Camping is in the sand, but it is pretty hard, if you are planning on sleeping on the ground. The bathrooms are actually pretty nice and well maintained for a primitive site

Great location and amenities, just not our favorite type of camping!

We chose this campground because of its proximity to Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon. We are normally state or national park campers (we have a van not RV) so our three star review is based on our preferences. If you are used to an RV Park, this may be better suited for you.

Pros: Friendly staff and check-in was smooth Generous sized spaces with picnic table (although it was raining and we didn’t use it) Clean bathrooms and showers with hot water Dishwashing sink with hot water Fitness room 10% discount for AARP and others Proximity to Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon

Cons: Very close to road - lots of noise No privacy

Overall, it worked for a one night stay for us but we decided to move on closer to our next destination.

Beautiful backpacking trip

Did an awesome 3 day hike of the hurricane wash. Hiked in, set up camp, explored further, slept first night. Left our tents and gear and did a day pack hike totalling 16 miles down and back up the canyon. Third day was back out. It was amazing…other than the extreme leave no trace rules (ALL waste carried out).

Beautiful campground, flawed administrative system!

This review covers two topics: the campground itself (4 stars) and the reservation/check-in process (1 star - more on that later). The campground itself is quite a drive from the entrance but is very beautiful. Well-maintained but sires vary greatly. Some are narrow pull-throughs; some have beautiful views and generous back-in drives. Good privacy between most sites (but not between 2 and 3). Cell service is spotty (Verizon); sometimes you get two bars and sometimes no service. Bathrooms were generally clean but no garbage can, hooks or soap (hand sanitizer dispensers) and they were serviced regularly during our stay. Solar lights on the path to the amphitheater/bathrooms were helpful. Two hiking trailheads can be accessed directly from the campground. No water spigots but each bathroom had a dishwashing sink which was much appreciated. Now for the flawed administrative system! We had reservations made six months in advance for three nights. We arrived a little after 4pm to find both the admission station and visitor center closed. No problem as we proceeded directly to the campground. There was a sign saying it was full and each site had a reserved placard but with no identifying information. Each night we were there, multiple sites remained empty. There was no camp host or ranger on-site during our entire stay. The only employees we saw were maintenance. Even the visitor center was unaware there was no camp host. Firewood locked up and not able to purchase. Fortunately, everyone was well behaved but it could have been quite a different situation if there had been a problem. Arches is a beautiful park and we are glad we had a good stay but hopefully their system will be overhauled soon!

Great stopover!

Lake Powell is beautiful. We stopped here for one night on our way north. We easily could have stayed longer. Nice store, fishing, swimming.

Off the main road gem

Getting to this campground was a rough washboard road, definitely not for the faint of bladder. haha

You will need a 4x4 car or one with high clearance, in rain or snow I wouldn't risk it with a simple coupe.

Once you get to the campground it is a lovely view of mountains and canyons all around you. It is almost hard to believe that there are slot canyons at every turn. This is also the way to get into Spooky Gulch and Peekaboo canyon so there are a lot of day hikers that come out to do the slot canyons.

The sites are big enough for tents but there are no bathrooms and minimal shade so going in the Spring or Fall would be best.

Beautiful spot

We went in March. They don’t have hookups but it is a beautiful spot to stay in the park.

Big, open lakefront space with nothing but the basics

This campground is part of Glen Canyon National rec area. It costs $14 (even in the off-season, apparently). Not sure it's worth that given that in the winter all but a few of the vault toilets are closed, but it's a nice, open space with a pleasant view of the lake and "Lone Rock". You can build a campfire right on the beach, and while we were here (early March) it was very uncrowded--just a few other campers spread out in the vast, open space. We have a 2wd and it did fine on the sand, just don't go careening off the edge of the drop-off into deeper sand unless you are confident your vehicle can handle it. Only about 20 minutes from Page, so convenient if you're looking to stay in the area for a day or so.

Amazing! Site 002

Devil's Garden is the most beautiful campground I have stayed at. It is very hard to get a spot, the slots fill within literal seconds of being released. All of the sites are unique and beautiful. This campground is set up so there are no sites backed to each other so you get views behind you, not neighbors! The bathrooms are well kept and have flushing toilets. There are 2 site hosts as the road is fairly long with 52 sites. When we were there the hosts were selling firewood, but the next day they were no longer selling wood in the park so make sure to check ahead. There is no store for other supplies. There is access to a few trails along the end of the of the road in the small loop. This is a fairly long walk if you are at the front of the campground. There is access to trails before the entrance to the campground, which is walkable along the road, but a definetly not close. For the most part the even number campgrounds are backed against red rock formations, the odd numbers are along the canyon side with further reaching views but less protection and privacy, and the highest number campgrounds seemed largest along the back of the loop at the end of the campground. In my experience I was not able to pick the site I wanted because of how quickly they go. I lucked out because I thought our site was the best.

Site 002: This site is the first site past the camp host house. There is a good distance and a very large rock formation between the host and this site. There is no site across the road from this site either, leaving it fairly private on 3 sides. The next site is close but there are several spaces to set up tents. I would say you could fit 3 tents throughout the site. The site is on a hill but the tent areas are fairly flat, although separated from each other. The lowest area was flooded during our stay, as were many areas of the entire campground(and park) from unusually heavy rain. The bathrooms are very close. If I had my pick of sites I would choose the one again.

beautfiul spot

Absolutely stunning spot. Sites had ample space for two tents. Want to come back with more time!

great place to stay in arches

This campground is an awesome place to stay within Arches. It's at the very top of the park, so be ready for a long drive in. The sites are really nice. Plenty of space and pretty secluded. Be aware that the ground is hard, so difficult to get tent stakes in the ground. Also, the weather can change pretty quick here, so just be aware.

The sites all have fire rings and picnic tables. I stayed in a tent, so not 100% sure, but I don't think there are hookups for RVs. There is access to fresh water and toilets. No showers though.

My favorite part about camping here was how far away from everything it feels. The stars are crazy here. Also the hiking around is awesome. Even for those of you who aren't avid hikers, there are some cool shorter trails. The trail to Mesa Arch is only about a mile long and pretty easy. It's one of the coolest places to view the sunrise in the park. This being said, its also one of the most popular, so be ready to see other people.

Really unique national park and an awesome place to stay within it.

Close to Grand Staircase Escalante, private, open, free.

The site is on BLM land. Pack it in and pack it out. No amenities. Free. I liked this place. It was large area, open and clean. It is easy to find. From Highway 12, go south about a quarter mile on Hole in the Rock road. Then you will come onto three paths to take. Take the most east path and this will get you to the BLM lands. From there you will spot lots of rock fire rings to park near. Really there was lots of space to pick from. The drive on Highway 12 is incredibly scenic and beautiful. The ranger at the visitor center in the town Escalante told us this area is called "Tin Can" because of all the RVs the are sometimes there. We did have to get a permit, which we usually don't have to, at the visitor center. The permit is free. The area is open with lots of pinyon pine and juniper trees around. The ground is level. Plenty of privacy. Being so close to Grand Staircase Escalante was a plus. That area of Utah is well worth the time to see. We took a hike to a waterfall in the National Monument.

Lot to do!

Dry camping next to Lake Powell. Boating,fishing and rzr riding.

Off-season Dispersed Camping

Disclaimer - Was there in off-season. Great dispersed camping with lots of space and vault toilets scattered throughout the area as well as the main bathroom at parking lot. They do have outdoor showers there too, but water is turned off during the off-season so only count on that if there during season. They also don't charge during off-season, but do during season. Great area and multiple beach spots as well as in the dune areas. Make sure your vehicle can drive through the sand as you'll need to for any of the spots. Can also get windy there during certain times of year. And no or very little cell service here (Verizon or AT&T) and issues overall in the area with service due to bouncing between the UT and AZ cell towers.

Great beach and trails there. And the lake is great and can paddle out to Lone Rock

Camping on the beach

Right on the shore of Lake Powell. There are accessible 2wd spots but much more selection with 4wd. Outdoor showers and bathroom available.

Good Views and Lots of Privacy

Stayed here 2 nights in mid-September, loved it! Our spot was spacious and offered great views. We had plenty of privacy and the bathrooms were clean. Best place to stay when visiting arches, several hikes within a short distance of the campground.

Laka Powell is a gorgeous place. Only spent a day in the campground the rest was out on the lake. Wonderful views and an open sky.

Quiet, beautiful and in a perfect setting

We tent camped here a couple times and loved every minute. The stars at night were incredible. This is a great basecamp for exploring Arches NP, but is a bit removed from the other Moab spots due to the long drive to get out of the park. There are clean flush toilets and drinking water, but no shower facilities. Lots of places to explore right from the campground itself.

Nice Campground with hiking and water

Great location in central Utah, enjoy hiking and water activities. Overall very clean.

Dispersed Camping, Free, 18 mins from Page, AZ & Beautiful Sunrise!

My wife and I took a random trip through Arizona on the way to The North Rim Grand Canyon! We happened upon Page Arizona, and found that we are the only ones whom didn't already know about the area. In other words there were NO spots to camp left near the town. but we found this Dispersed camping just a few miles into Utah. We were a bit worried about not having a park host, or really any direction to where to park and set up. Although we did love the no Fee program!

turns out you park wherever you want! we found one of the few trees and parked near it, it was late and dark so we set up camp and slept, we woke up to one of the best views we have had yet, "Lone Rock" proudly stood in our mist like a loan Guard. with a beautiful sunrise we ate as we watch jet skis and water skis jet by.

We were only a few minutes outside of page and found our camp safe and sound when we returned from a full day on the lake kayaking!!! a short drive to "Horseshoe Bend", the worlds most photographed landscape! and of course Antelope Canyon.

*** INSIDER GUIDE ***

You can feel free to pay the "tourist" tax of visiting antelope canyon with a guild and a hundred other people… Or you can save $80 by renting a kayak in page for $30 and kayaking into the mouth of antelope canyon and see parts that most others never see!! see my photos!!

Hole in the Rock Road

Located in Grand Staircase - Escalante National Park, on Hole in the Rock Road, near the trailhead for Peek-A-Boo and Spooky Canyon trailhead. Primitive campsite with fire pits available in some spots. Perfect place to camp after a long hike, especially if you’re planning on being the area for a couple days. Enjoy!

Busy but easy to escape

Beautiful and open campground smack dab in some of the most beautiful land this country has to offer!

YES, this area can get packed. lots of people/rvs/whole 9…BUT you can kinda camp where you want, so finding some space in this campground, even when it’s packed, wasn’t an issue for us.

Most of the lake front camping was taken, so my Lady and I set up camp a good distance away from lake. We could barely hear the people in the distance, and the stars at night were amazing!

we were not bothered by anyone, even with it being so crowded.

No shaded areas, so bring sun screen and shade set ups if you visit when it’s warm out.

Great location and facilities, a little noisy though

I have tent camped here a couple of times in the past few years. The campground is clean and neat, and some sites offer great views of the lake and surrounding cliffs. It's a beautiful place to hang out at during sunset or sunrise. The shower and restrooms are clean, and the general store is nice and convenient. The laundry facilities are a nice place to get things cleaned up while you're on the road. The biggest problem I see with this area is the noise. A lot of the Wahweap workers live in an area of mobile homes above the campground, and they definitely like to party at night. A group of motorcyclists also thought it was a good idea to rev their Harleys up at 6 am one day. I am sure camping in and RV would isolate you from the noise, or maybe camping during a weekday would be better. Either way, I would stay here again. As for tent camping, some of the sites have zero shade, so be prepared with your own shelters. Just make sure you anchor them down; afternoons can bring some strong winds to the area.

Awesome!

Devils garden campground is awesome. virtually every site has an incredible view. our site a slot canyon behind it that we could climb in. sites aren't "big" but are adaquet. campground is at the very back of the park so it is a drove to some hikes but being at the back will keep you away from the traffic. overall, one of the best campgrounds I've been too. Only knock is no camp store nearby.

Great but small and compact

This campground does not take reservations, and is first come first serve. We arrived to the campground being full. It looked clean and well maintained. The pit toilet bathrooms were clean as well. We ended up camping down the road on an amazing primitive site, so don’t discount that as an option as well. The visitor center also has outdoor access heated bathrooms which helped relieve the stress of cold camping nights. Such a lovely park and would definitely recommend it! We saw stars for miles!

Amazing experience

We went at the end of March and it was a little hot and windy during the day, but ended up waking up to snow cover the campgrounds. It was an amazing experience to see even though it ruined some of the climbing for that day. The bathrooms were in good shape and had a place to clean dishes. Great hiking around the area.

Can't Beat The Views

Nothing better than being in the big middle of Arches! I spent $25 at this site to get a little closer to the Arches themselves versus staying more in the Moab town area.  I was really excited to know that I could camp in an area that previously I wasn’t aware was an option from the first visit.

This is a pretty tough one to score however if you are coming on weekends or during busy times as it is first come first serve without reservation. I would suggest trying to make reservations however because there are not even 30 sites.

The sunsets here are unparalleled as you are right in the heart of everything and you can explore the park fully from this area simply by taking a walk.

I do suggest grabbing a map when you get here so you can find the perfect path to the stops you will want to see. To many arches to to count within just a short distance.

I will say if you are used to camping under trees or where there are a lot of amenities you will want to go into town, but for the adventure seeker who wants limited amenities and more access this one is for you.  It was one of the most unique sites I have been to and because I was there in fall it was ideal conditions for camping during the day, but a little cool in the evening with no real vegetation to stop the winds.

The site I chose was large enough for my taste as I am a tent camper and need a very small footprint for my tent and my economy car.  I had more than enough room to set up and enjoy my picnic table and fire ring in this area and not feel crowded or cramped at all.

I only wish I had been able to keep my rain fly off at night, but because the temperatures dropped I put it on to keep some of the warmth in my tent so I did miss the truly dark skies in the area which would have been amazing to catch some stars.

TIPS:

• Bring everything you need so you won’t have to go into town unless you really want to.  There are no stores for things you might need at your campsite nearby.
  • Pack a jacket for every occasion not just chilly nights but also rain just in case.
Super close to the lake!

We really enjoyed this spot, we did have to walk everything in but there were quite a few trees to hang our hammocks and had a great view of the cliffs and the lake! Great weather with a wonderful cross breeze! There were plenty of spots available.

Very Welcoming and Accommodating

Our original camping spot was invaded by small ants but the office was super accommodating when we wanted to switch spots. We were able to move to a great spot near the bathrooms. Sadly there aren’t many trees for hanging hammocks in the single spots.

its close to the town of Escalante and close to some great hikes!