Canyonlands National Park, UTAH
Camping Utah Canyonlands National Park
Most Recent Canyonlands National Park Camping Reviews
Campground with a View

Willow Flat campground is located in the Canyonlands National Park: Island in the sky section. It’s rather small with only 12 spots on a a first come first serve basis. Most spot fill up by noon. Fee is only $15 and is payed to an iron ranger (envelope drop box). Has 2 vault toilets that were serviced daily and the cleanest I have ever seen. Park rangers were very nice and asked us about our stay/ if we needed any additional information about the area. No water is available here though you can fill up at visitors center; use sparingly as this water is trucked up there from Moab. Only thing I could think of being a nuisance is the meat bees than seem to hang out in the mornings and nights. Simple screen room under the shade shelters solves this for cooking and just relaxing with out being bothered. Would definitely stay here again as it’s hard to beat this location near the Moab area! The campground is maybe 100 yards from the Green River Scenic overlook into Canyonlands! Our spot was number 5.

Quiet Campground

The campground is rather quiet with ample space between sites. No water, but vault toilets were clean. It’s conveniently located just outside of Dead Horse state park and Canyonlands National Park: Island in the sky entrance. We stayed here one night because we couldn’t find camping in the NP at Island in the sky (willow flat) campground. Very clean and on the RV side of the campground had nice big flat areas for tents. The fee was $20 and you payed at those iron ranger kiosk’s (envelope drop). Would stay here again as the temperature stayed 10 degrees cooler than downtown Moab.

Unforgettable

Breathtaking views. quiet and lowkey

Hard to find

Driving after dark couldn’t find it. Noticed no signs. Google Maps said “Park on the highway and walk to the destination.”

Utah red rock sites with great views

This is a private campground right outside of the Needles district of Canyonlands National Park. There are some really wonderful sites with a bit of privacy and great views. Access to fantastic hiking and climbing. Showers are available and flush toilets.  On the down side there is little shade. The only thing wrong with this campground is that it closes too early in the fall.

Monticello RV Campground

just happened upon this gem during a road trip to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, just south of Moab. Absolutely perfect campground/RV park. only a few tent sites in the back of the park, but superbly placed along a fence line. they were in the process of moving sites to allow grass to grow, but not one bad tent pad.  they are located on the back of the park near the office. just north of the tent sites lies an open field with horses that seems to go miles. To the west lies a field of wind turbines. The sites have a lot of tree cover for shade. They have some of, if not the cleanest restroom/showers I have ever been to. And that is saying a lot. Plus they have free Wifi.  Hosts were super friendly and helpful to anything we needed.  Super quiet park with pleasant fellow campers/Rv'ers.

Great Hidden Gem

We loved the mature landscaping, great shade and plenty of space between campsites! Awesome clean showers and bathrooms, and the golf course is right next door! We loved staying here, and we will definitely be back!

Amazing Yurt Stay!

Can't wait to go back!  Moenkopi yurts are in the perfect setting for fantastic views, star gazing!  Each yurt sleeps six and is very close to trails.  Rest rooms are conveniently located.  This is the true glamping experience.

Sandy Land, Stunning Views

A nice little campground with some trees to set up under for shade. We were hit with a small wind storm in the middle of the night and woke up covered in sand, but that’s Utah! The views over the canyons are stunning during sunset. Far fewer mosquitoes up here than in any campsite in the canyons. Bike access directly from the campground to great MTB trails nearby. Our one complaint - as with most BLM campsites, there is no pot sink, shower, or access to water so make sure to bring lots with you! Close to Canyonlands and Moab.

Wouldn’t recommend.

Driving to the place you couldn’t see any real signs to help navigate where you’re going. When you finally reach the place the host campground is not noticeable. You had to knock on the camper next to a boarded up house. Then the gal that helped us figure out where to set up, though she was nice and helpful was in pajamas and looked like she wasn’t at work. Driving through and finding a camp site we noticed it wasn’t maintained very well, had overgrown grass and dead trees in several areas where you couldn’t even reach the campsite. When we finally found our campsite there was dog poop that hadn’t been picked up in awhile in several places giving it an awful smell the entire time we were there. I wouldn’t recommend this place with the high price we had to pay with such low quality.

Cold , windy , exposed , bugs !!!

It sucked , wind and thunderstorms all night long for 2 days straight . Finally went and got a motel . Bugs were crazy !!! Everything wet !

Windgate loop #34

Very clean site! Sturdy , 2 walled shelter with picnic table, nice fire pit. Vault toilets at parking lot (we were the first walk-in) about 30 yards away. The morning sun is super hot and bright so you may want a shade of some sort. The shelter blocks the evening sun. The camp hosts are super friendly. A sink with water for dish washing and flushing toilets are right at the loop entrance. Bring lots of water and ice in summer, it’s HOT! The nights were cool but once the sun came up it got hot! We visited Moab , Canyonlands, and Arches. Get to Arches at sunrise. Dead horse point is beautiful, go in the early am or evening.

Favorite campground to date

Visited Grandstaff Campgroud in May 2017. I’ve done a decent amount of camping and this is by far my favorite. Beautiful scenery in every direction. Clean facilities. Can’t wait to come back some day.

Great Arches/ Canyonlands camp

Best campground I’ve ever been to. I would actually prefer the campground to Arches on many days. Fire pits, electricity. Best off if you have A/C or some way to keep cool. It gets hot during the day. It cools down enough at night, but pretty late. There were awesome trails all along the rim of a canyon with cairns to tell you where the trail was. This campground was so amazing that my kids were not really that interested at the Grand Canyon. They could walk safely along the rim without crowds. It’s at the edge outside of Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands. It looked like it would have been a good base for 4WD trips, too. I cannot put I to words how awesome this was. Really could have just moved in and stayed there.

King’s Bottom

This campground is right next to the main road and right on the water. It was nice as a close option to the downtown and we came in fairly late on a weekend.

Will warm about tons of mosquitoes. Because of the proximity to the river. Only a few sites have shade.

Has everything but showers

Great spot at Dead Horse state park in between Canyonlands (15 minutes) and Arches (30 minutes). Has shade cover (with lockable pantry cupboard!), picnic table, fire pit, grill, tent pad, and electric hookup. Most people had RVs and there was a waste site at the entrance. We were tent camping two nights and enjoyed our stay. The bathroom was a bit of a walk from our site #18 (located by site #9), but they were individual rooms with flush toilet and sink. There was also a sink washing/water bottle filling station. We would definitely stay here again.

Great campground - gorgeous sunsets

A friend and I came here as we didn't have any reservations for a campground one night during our Mighty 5 road trip.

We passed by here after visiting Dead Horse Point SP. It's very close to the state park and it's along the way to Canyonlands (about 15 minutes away).

The campground is quite simple. They're first-come, first-serve sites. Around 7 of them total.

When we came, it was insanely infested by mosquitoes, which is why I am docking a star from my review. They were horrible due to a wet, cool spring they had a few months before we arrived.

The bathroom situation is pretty bare. It's a pit-style with no official door - just a chain to say that it's occupied.

Our campsite (#1) was relatively flat, but it did have a slight angle. When we were setting up our tent, it was so windy that it kept blowing the tent away. We weren't able to get stakes into the ground due to the ground being too hard and full of rocks. We ended up using bungee cords tied to the picnic table.

By far, the best part of this campground was the sunset. It was one of the prettiest sunsets I've ever seen in my life. Well worth the $20 campground fee and the multiple mosquito bites we endured while watching the sun set.

Dead horse point state park, July, 2019

Why anyone visiting arches and canyonland/Moab would choose to stay here is beyond me! I booked this campground based on raving reviews and recommendations. First this campground is double the price of campgrounds in town that have showers, pools, WiFi, all amenities, dead horse has no showers, as a tent camper you are not allowed to park next to your site, supposedly you get a 5.00 credit for this inconvenience. The site and park are nice and clean, with beautiful views. The sites have a two sided structure that houses the picnic table. Beware of the sand and mosquitoes. I included a picture of the yurts they rent, we didn’t stay in those, we tent camped. Some people said it was close to Moab, it’s about 45 minutes away from Moab and arches!

Awesome Group Site

I see rumors that “No Camping” signs are going up, as of early July we did not see anything. We had a ton of family at the big Ramada which had 4 tables and a fire pit. There is a dirt volleyball court. There is a pit toilet that is a 4 minute walk away. There is a small dock for canoes, kayaks and small boats. The water was perfect, muddy but no bad smell. Lots of bugs in the evening. There are a few other sites around the lake but it is definitely limited.

Perfect out on the Water

We just spent a day out here but there were plenty of campers near the reservoir and I figured it was worth people knowing about. Water was overflowing because of a wet year. Perfect for kayaking and swimming, not too cold. Multiple sites around the waters edge, most campers seemed to be on the South and East sides.

Beautiful with great value

Really great if you are a tent camper looking to stay close to Moab while checking out the national parks. Only $15 a night. Easy check-in/check-out. Basic amenities (no one water or power) like toilet. Would recommend

Fivehole Arch Site

this was tricky to get to, due to high water levels and speed of the water. the previous day was spent at robbers!! hiking trail well defined at beginning, super hot, no RATTLESNAKES!!!  so we had that going for us, but as u start to have an elevation change, a lot of misleading cairns were everywhere, leading a party that was behind us coming up when we were coming down, literally were going up a dead end. adding a painstaking reversal of and down some terrible scree!! as you see in the pictures this site was pretty darn cool!! i had worn chacos, which i advise against going this. took us just under 3 hrs to do the full loop.  hiking shoes or running shoes would be more adept for this trail.  a lot of sand, loose rock, and scrambling up, seems like a few rock slides had brought down some debris into the hiking path.  once you get about an hr in you begin to see the petrified sand dunes above you. we removed a few cairns that led others astray!  once you reach the top the view is stunning!!!  hot!!! but easy to navigate to the geological survey spike!! petrified dunes are amazing and easy to scamper over and around. there were remnants of old fire pits that people had fires up on top and in the arches. which saddens me!! but did not change my view and experience of this place and adventure@

Three Canyon Campsite

During June 2019 rafting trip, approach from Riverside was quick, sketchy and overgrown.  with the flow at over 28000 cfs. the inlet had a sharp drop off, and tamarisk everywhere.  but once we tied in it was well worth the stop, to eat, scramble around a bit, geocached a bit and had our 3rd meet up with a rattlesnake in 3 days!!!  water was high but once you get into the canyon it dried up quickly and the weather was hot but not windy. found a tent site and chilled out the rest of the day. it is beautiful and mesmerizing!  I bet when water line drops it will be even more fantastic. I truly love sites like this. we definitely earned the rest and tranquility from this site.. we will be back for this one!!

Great spot next to river

First come first serve. Small fee

open space and very clean!!!!

drove from fort collins to raft green river down to confluence, stayed here before we put in.. super clean bathrooms, campsites were spread out, not too close and not noisy, great access to boat ramp, and friendly staff!!!  would definitely come back and probably will next month to do green river again!!

First come first serve

Quiet spot near the river with a nice view

Beautiful campground

We love this campground the office people are really friendly, location is excellent. Everything is spotless and well-kept very close to Moab, lots of nice amenities very reasonable price.

Great secluded campground near Moab and Canyonlands!

Typical BLM campground not far off of 191. Stayed here during the very busy Memorial Day weekend and was one of only a few campers. Vault toilets.

A Moab Gem

Small campground just east of Moab, but full of convenience. I found this spot years ago when I was first scouting the area. I loved the location because it wasn't far off the main highway, had decent road access and offered great views, a simple hike to a nice promontory and near running water (unpotable). It's BLM property so you have to pay to camp, but worth it. Gets full easily on weekends. There can be some annoyance with loud dune buggy off-roading nearby, but not after dusk. Decent bathroom facilities available. Fishing just down the road 1/4 mile on Ken's Lake. No cutting or collecting of firewood allowed (bring your own). All sites include fire/grill pits. Good mix of trailers, small RVs and tents.

Beautiful, but loud

This campground sits right next to the river and wedged between two canyon walls. Dusk was gorgeous as the setting sun turned the whole mountain orange and pink. The river was also really nice to look at for a few minutes. That is before the mosquitos started attacking. Camp was basic with a picnic table and fire pit. Toilets had toilet paper and no running water. I probably will not be returning to this campsite. Even though it had a great view and was very clean, I had a hard time with the noise. I was able to hear everything my neighbor campers were saying and doing. The campsites are close to one another and the noise carried really well within the canyon. It's also really close to the road and I woke up every time a vehicle passed by during the night. I also had a fear of cars running off the road and into the campsite, which added to me not sleeping well. But the location was convenient. It was less than ten minutes from Moab.