Canyonlands National Park, UTAH

Camping Utah Canyonlands National Park

Most Recent Canyonlands National Park Camping Reviews
Is this legal?

No clear signage indicating that this is BLM land or that dispersed camping is allowed. In fact, there are lots of private property signs, tho (I think?) Those only pertain to what's on either side of the road. Parked overnight in a pullout with no problems, probably the only one around for miles. Overall, a little uneasy that I was going to get busted but worked out great!

Another planet

I chose the Needles area of Canyonlands NP on accident while on a road trip. I had no idea how desolate it was out there but ended up being an incredible experience as I only saw a handful of other humans while in the park. Needles Outpost was really great aside from some noisey neighbors and bathroom facilities need some work and cleaning. Gas at the campsite store is expensive so fill up your tanks before you arrive! Camp spot 5 (I think) is the one in my photo, owner said it’s one of the best but I had quite a massive swarm of different kinds of ants to contend with. Made it nearly impossible to cook on the nice picnic table/fire ring they had set up without shucking and jiving lol…

A good last resort

I’m a tent camper and did not really enjoy this place, but camping around Moab is pretty cutthroat and I didn’t have any other options. I stayed here one night and packed up at first light to try to find something at any of the areas along the Colorado River.

I would say this area is about 90% RVs, campers and vans. It really looks like trailer park with a very “red” overall vibe to the place.

I found a spot almost at the very end of the trail, thinking it would cut down on noise/ traffic, but it really didn’t. I did not explore this area at all, but there must be some great allure to this trail that escapes me because there were pick up trucks at UTVs coming and going all night. Even at 3 am.

The sand is very soft and silty here and will get all over and in everything, which I think is pretty typical of the area, but the open field and wind on this trail make it a bit more noticeable/ annoying.

The road in and out is incredibly manageable for a 2wd car (I have a Camry). I didn’t go all the way to the very end, but what I drove was just your standard gravel road with some rippling. Not sure why others are suggesting 4wd or high clearance. Some of the pull-in areas may be softer/ sandier and require more power in a vehicle, but the road itself is fine imo.

Windy!!!!!

Pretty campground. Great shelters and bathrooms but so windy that we could not keep our tent down. Sand was flying everywhere and into our food. Will not be back.

All in all really great

The people here were just great- chatty and friendly. Bathrooms clean and showers included in price were nice. There was a nice amount of grass around and the spots were nice and flat. We had spot I and were able to use power which was fantastic. It was super busy when we were there and so they did end up putting another RV right alongside us but we still had our own space. Views from our spot were lovely. Would definitely stay here again.

Bad bad bad

Do not go with the “rugged tent spots”- dustiest and right backed up to the road and uneven parking. Wifi doesn’t reach and there are porta potties that were not useable. People at front were rude and the whole experience was just bad. The rv area was okay but jammed packed, no space.

Free dispersed camping

Great spot for camping - free! Long road with tons of spots. We ended up pretty far back and really liked our spot. It was up against a large rocky area so wind wasn’t bad. No water, a few ports potties scattered around were in bad shape.

Lots of space, but busy

There's a ton of space here, I counted over 60 campers on a Saturday morning, and there was likely more than that.

The dirt road is easy to find, spots are easily accessible on the road for RVs of all sizes. Once you go further back, the traffic is less because the road becomes very rough. Cars can make it, 4x4 is better suited and RVs with good clearance can make it to the very back (go slow!).

The only downside is with so many campers there's always noise. Most were considerate of others, but plan for generators and that group who stays up late on a Friday and doesn't care how loud they are. (Use sleep ear plugs)

Great campsite!

We hadn’t camped where The Dyrt directions take you, although that was a nice spot, more so for an RV though. We camped a little down the road at a turn off. It had a fire ring but because of the ban, we couldn’t start a fire. There were several spots for a tent, maybe big enough for an RV. The campsite was against a fence, and on the other side of it were cows. It was quite close to the road but it wasn’t busy enough for it to be a problem. There were also deer and cows grazing outside of the perimeter of the fence. I’m a farmer so I loved the sound of the cows at night and in the morning, some may not like it as much.

Awesome views

One of the furthest campgrounds from Moab but totally worth the beautiful drive. It is less crowded than the other ones and it has amazing views and clean toilets (no shower). There is also a boat landing area and nice 3-mile hike across the road. This is a first come first serve campground. We arrived on a wed around 5pm in Sep and there were still a couple of tent sites available while all other campgrounds were full. They have fire pits so make sure you bring wood to make a campfire.