Vernon, TEXAS

Most Recent Vernon Camping Reviews
Sunday-Wed stay

Full hook ups. Friendly staff. Roads were paved it a little run down. Crushed stone pads were flat and easy to stabilize. Also good for keeping the dirt out. Cement area with picnic table was at every site. Several long time guests on East edge the rest of the park was wide open. Had good space for dogs. Backed up to a river and had its own pond. Along the river there was no issue with road noise. No recycle collection or Propane on site. Was a nice quiet stay in Early March

Great weekend getaway

Nice clean park with the friendliest staff. Boating, kayaking, swimming, camping, hiking. We always enjoy our visits to this park. Facilities and grounds are well kept.

Good 1-night Stop Off

A nice place for a one night stop off. Nothing fancy. Owners are super nice. They offer military discount. They have a chicken coop and sell fresh eggs for $3/dozen. They have a small swimming pool. The old cotton gin on site is a cool feature. It was full of dusty furnishings. Looks like they used it as a venue in the past. The back row of the park appears to be full timers. Be prepared to hear trains blasting their horns all night long.

Nice little state park

Great little state park right on the shores of Tom Steed Reservoir. Sites are well spaced. Campground is well maintained. Good fishing. Lots of walking area around the lake. Friendly staff. Most all sites have a view of the water. You’ll need to make reservations to ensure you get a site. This is not a huge campground. It’s very quiet and relaxing. Not a lot of shade. Good view of the Witchita Mountain range in the background. The Witchita Wildlife Preserve is nearby and worth taking the family to see free roaming bison.

Peaceful and serene

If you are looking for peace and quiet this is the place. It is a National Dark Sky site and perfect for star gazing. The sites are almost 70 feet apart. Well maintained. Daily activities run by staff. Great hiking and a nice lake. Staff super friendly. If you love nature this is a great spot. It’s worth a couple day trip. They even have a herd of longhorn steer.

Nice RV Park

Quiet and peaceful RV Park. The ladies at the office were very helpful and friendly. They are pet friendly with a nice dog walk area. The restrooms are spacious, clean, and have large residential style showers. We couldn’t have asked for more for our weekend visit during my daughter’s softball tournament.

Just a stop off at best

This site is located on Altus Air Force Base. It only has 12 sites. You must be a Department of Defense ID card holder to stay on base. The camp area has little to offer. It is only $17 a night and a good stop off if you are in the area. You do have the security of being on a military base.

Nice place to stay the night .

Good clean camp ground ..I have stayed here several times

Hidden gem

Great place to camp and unwind. The park hosts were awesome. Lots of wildlife. Great trails, but some can be challenging. Warm water in the Kiowa Campground. This is an IDSP, so it's great for astrophotography.

KOA in need of a little a little TLC

For improved campground I have always found KOA to maintain a certain level of consistency so when I went on a fun trip with some friends to check out the “rumored Texas Chainsaw Massacre” community just north of Wichita Falls we wanted to check out the KOA there. Now while you are reading this and probably thinking, “WHY WOULD YOU GO THERE??” Keep in mind it is the rumored house and there is no factual proof that it actually is there, instead we found some really interesting other creepy things to go check out, because why not.

Anyway, back to the campground itself.

I was very impressed with the green space, a lot of this area was already starting to brown because of the heat, but they were still looking fresh and soft and that would make for a much better location for our tent. The site itself was just under $30, one of three options they offer which are all only about $4 in difference in pricing. We sprung for the middle option with electrical hook ups, not because we needed them but because after driving around we liked the look of that site a bit more. The deluxe sites they offered were taken but they had bbq grills and a more private tent area, this has been my favorite at several other KOA locations because of the amenities however this again was taken so that wasn’t an option.

We settled in and noticed that there were very nice amenities, the pool was amazing and perfect for a cool down on the warm day. KOA usually has this kind of amenity available as well as some outdoor activities you can enjoy like playground or sports courts. We were told they do observe quiet hours however if we wanted to swim a bit later as long as we were not loud we could do so. I would ask if this is ok before just getting out there and doing it however!!

The shower area was very close to the tent space we had selected and as often is at a KOA, one of my favorite features because they are more home like than a typical National or State Park campground. The water was warm and the pressure was very good!!

I noticed there were several what looked to be long term campers there in RVs. While I personally am not effected by this, it did make the area they were staying in a little less kept looking. They were not over by the cabins and tents however so it wasn’t that off-putting to me, but I could see how if that is an RV stayers view it could be kind of annoying.

I used the WIFI here and it worked great, sometimes the campsites are a bit to far away and thus don’t get good connection, however I was able to use wifi for typical functions, although I did not fully test it with uploading anything major.

TIPS

If you are interested in a Deluxe site book in advance there are very few and they go fast during heavy traffic seasons. Usually at this campsite there are tent sites which are walk in ready however.

Explore around the campground because they have some very interesting items if you are willing to just walk around and see them which are unique to this campground.

• Be careful for stickers. While the area we were in didn’t seem to have them we did notice when walking around especially near the dog walk area they seemed to be pretty bad.