Natalia, TEXAS
Most Recent Natalia Camping Reviews
Great for a quick stop.

We stoped here driving from Houston to Marfa. Great location, close to the highway for easy access. That said, it is close to the highway so road noise is present.

Very clean bathroom and the pool looked nice ( we did not test it out). Staff called to see what time we were arriving and left instructions as we arrived after 6:00.

Site was clean and had a picnic table and a tree for shade. Hookup was easy and all went well.

Would stay again if we travel this way.

Life changing. NP not SP.

The views here will change your life. Personally stayed at the Chiso Mountains campground think it’s the most scenic of the two campgrounds they have. The other campground has the store and I believe showers.

Best time to go is when the season just starts in my opinion which is fall early winter. Especially if you stay in the mountains campground. It’s cool/cold at night and hit during the day.

The hot spring is a must. The road to the trail is quite scary if you have anything bigger than a standard car. Your up against a wall on one side and a drop off of 20 feet on the other.

If you really want to test your endurance, the lost mine trail goes up a mountain. Well worth the treck. Take your time and you will get to the top.

If your over camping in tents and RVs, they also have a lodge in the Chiso Mountains, about a two minute drive from the campground. It has a restaurant as well as a gift shop.

There is only one gas station there so expect high prices.

Terlingua is the closest town and my group had dinner, and checked out the ghost town.

Please not, skunks are not afraid of you and they will check out your campsite whether you like it or not.

Great Time

Big place w lots of spots. Shaded and very well maintained. Has full hookups w WiFi and cable. Tons of amenities like a pool, hot tub, playground, weight room, laundry, arcade, and a general store. We stayed on the 4th and could see the fireworks from sea world. Very nice staff and tenants.

Pricey but nice

$40 to enter? Ridiculous. However, if you got the cash it's a decent place to stay. It has nice bathrooms with AC, hot showers, wifi and electricity in some parts of the camp. It's greatest feature is the lake. You can fish, swim and boat all night. Lots of wildlife. They have very few BBQ pits and fire rings.

CONS: There are a LOT of people here that play loud music after hours and do not follow the rules. Nor is there any patrol units to enforce them. They do not allow car camping either. After 9pm anyone does whatever they want anyway.

Good weekend getaway

Has some great fishing. If you don’t have time to go to the coast but love fishing for reds this is a nice spot to come to. Camping sites allow for both RV hook ups and tent camping.

Big Bend National Park - Chisos Basin Group Campsite

This review is specific to the Chisos Basin Group Campsites. I actually prefer the Chisos Basin Group Campsites over the regular Chisos Basin Campsites. The group sites require a minimum of 9 people and a maximum of 20 people. The group campsites are located on a separate loop with only 7 campsites. The regular campsites are located in a cluster with about 60 campsites side by side - there is little privacy. I've found the group campsites have a similar view of the Chisos Mountains and the valley. There is one restroom for the group sites which has sinks and toilets, but no showers. There are no showers in the Chisos Basin except at the Lodge.

Three of the group campsites have sun shades (sites P, Q and R) and the remainder are exposed. If you can reserve a campsite with a sun shade it will be worth it. The sun and the wind can be very intense throughout the year. It is highly recommended that you secure your tent with extra guy lines and tent spikes.

The Window Trail trailhead starts from one corner of the group campsites. It's a short and moderate difficulty trail with a scenic view of the valley and sunset. If you hike the Window Trail to see the sunset, be sure to bring a flashlight because it can be difficult to find your way back once the sun goes down. Other highly recommended trails include the Emory Peak Trail, Lost Mine Trail and the Santa Elena Trail.

A hiker/ trail runner paradise

Located in the hills about 10 miles from Bandera, TX, this campground is the perfect place to disconnect (you won’t get signal anyways) and hike, run or horseback ride through a plethora of trails.

Hookups are available for campers or a 2-3 mile hike can get you to a primitive site. Group sites are available to rent. This area of Texas gets hot so bring plenty of water. Watch for wildlife.

I would recommend checking their  Facebook page if it has recently rained to see the status of the park and trails. Occasionally the park or some trails will close if the risk of damage to the natural area is high.

Awesome BIG BEND!!

Best place in Texas for the beginner to the seasoned camper/hiker/nature lover!!

Bucket List Campsite

We have been camping at Chisos Basin for many years. The views from the campground are incredible. The lodge is a good place to eat after a long hike. Like so many other National Parks, Big Bend is getting very crowded during the peak season and holidays. The campground is good for tent campers and vans with good restrooms and helpful camp hosts. We try to go during the off season. The view of the window at sunset is something to see and the hikes range from easy to moderate. The risk of Mountain Lions is well known and something to think about when hiking alone or with young children. This place is a must see and a hidden gem. I gave it a four out of 5 due to the overcrowding and lack of privacy in the the campground. Many of the sites are great for tents but very uneven for vans or small RVs. The window and lost mine trails are great 1/2 hikes. You have to plan around the weather and time of year. We have camped here in 20 degrees in November and 90s in May.

RVing and fishing close to home

Great environment. Gma, Daughter and 3 grandson. Close enought to go home and take care of livestock and go back for fun times. Fishing, riding a Trikke and playing family games in the evening.

Awesome!

Great campground. One of my favorites that I have been to! Beautiful view surrounded by the Chisos Mountains. Definitely recommend trying to get a campsite with a canopy top for shade, ours did not have one and we were very jealous of everyone else that did. It does get windy from time to time but it’s all part of the experience when camping! Bathrooms have plumbing, running water, and outlets. Drinking water is also available at a few spots around the campsite. If you are looking to hike you are very close to a few trailheads. The mountain lodge, the store, and visitor center is all about 3 minute drive or 20 or so minute walk up.

Colima 2 for the win!

Colima 2 is a primitive campsite in the Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park on the Colima Trail. My boyfriend and I backpacked to the campsite from the Chisos Basin trail head down Pinnacles trail to Boot Canyon. The Northeast Rim trail was closed at the time due to respecting space for the peregrine falcons and their nests. The night before, we camped in the Rio Grande campground which wasn't secluded enough for us, so we decided to reserve this campground at the Chisos Basin Visitor Center the next morning. Camp was super easy to set up here. There was a bear box included and plenty of flat ground for easily tent setup. There was PLENTY of tree coverage which was nice because it got hot out in the afternoons under the sun. We chose this campsite because we wanted to hike the South Rim on the same day. We offloaded some weight from our backpacking packs after setting up camp in the mid afternoon, got to hike the South Rim for the remaining hours of daylight, and enjoyed dinner back at Colima 2. The next day, we hiked back to the Chisos Basin trail head on the Laguna Meadows trail. Colima 2 offered the seclusion from other campgrounds we were wanting, and it's definitely on our radar when we return to Big Bend National Park.

Great Family Campground

We got into the KOA of San Antonio and it was very nice. Mainly catered to families as there were a ton of things for kids, bikes and scooters to rent. Swimming Pool, a few playground etc. Looked like they had put a lot of money into it recently and it was a perfect location. There was even a bus you could take to downtown and the River Walk. It was a very nice campground and we really liked it. I loved being able to take the bus to the Almo and Riverwalk and not have to drive. They are working to add things to this KOA and update it.

One of the perfect campgrounds we think

We left Holiday Village RV Resort on Tuesday but we were their for 12 days and really loved the area. We had the best neighbors. Tons of Deer.

They have a pool and club house. You can walk around the area we took a couple of walks a day. Bring your boat they have a boat ramp and you can fish and get to the lake easily.

It has the sites around a huge open area that is filled with deer part of the day.

Great place to get away from all the hustle and bustle of life.

It was a little hard to get to so follow their instructions well especially when they say you may think you have gone to far just keep going.

We loved that it only had 30 sites that they were nice size sites, that it was in the middle of nowhere, you were not listening to traffic all night, no train tracks, folks were very nice and you could see the stars. I also liked that it was an easy drive to areas we wanted to visit. Sits in the middle of the Hill Country of Texas.

Just over an hour to get into San Antonio 45 minutes to make Kerrville WE went to Kerrville numerous times we did have a few different adventures there. One was at the Kerrville Hills Winery. It was fun and we tasted some pretty good wines, of course we bought a few also.  Did you know the Hill Country has 54 wineries?

About an hour to Fredricksburg One day we spent walking around Fredricksburg TX. Did a few wine tastings at a few shops but no real wineries just tasting rooms. Not really the same. Had a great lunch at a good German restaurant. I forgot how good real German food is. The downtown still has some of the very old buildings but the town sure has grown.

One day we took the back roads into San Antonio and went to the river walk. Loved it. WE even took the boat ride.. It was fun and we ate at a Mexican Restaurant and watched everyone go by.

We spent a few days just in the campground just relaxing. You could really walk around the area and we explored some of the places for sale, it is a Holiday resort but also has all year long residents.

We are planing on coming back.

Amazing!

Great park with gated entry, pool, clean bathrooms, great dog area, and pizza delivered in a golf cart. The thing that makes this park so amazing is the staff. They are professional and helpful.

Great place!

The staff is very helpful and friendly. Very affordable and has everything you need for fishing and camping. We loved walking the trails and seeing deer and other wildlife. We absolutely loved it!

Ranger Review: Primus Trail Backpacking Stove At Boulderdash Cabin & RV

Texas is such a large state finding great campgrounds can quickly get a little overwhelming. There are so many amazing outdoor spaces and camping options that unless you really have something specific in mind you can get caught up comparing sites trying to determine which is the perfect fit for you.

This has always been the case for me in my home state and I feel as though I have missed many great locations as a result. One hidden gem I hadn’t yet discovered was Boulderdash Cabin And RV on Lake Medina just outside of Bandera.

I was pleased to have this one brought to my attention and after booking through The Dyrt’s new online booking system I packed up my car in anticipation of a great trip down south. My original day to visit was met by some of the unpredictable Texas weathers, torrential downpour lasting 2 two days. I say that to say this, the campground owner and hosts were fully understanding of the predicament of me being a tent camper and unable to fully be able to enjoy the location in such conditions.  As a result they allowed me to push my reservation, something many campgrounds would not be so accommodating to do.

This set the tone for my trip and was echoed throughout my stay, amazing and kind customer service!

CLICK HERE For Full Video Review

Campground Review:

Finally arriving at my site mid afternoon after a long drive, I was ready to get out and explore but also relax. I was greeted by the campground hosts upon my arrival with such a pleasant and welcoming reception. They showed me to my site, gave me a short tour of the small camp and told me a bit about the area so I could fully enjoy the amenities and know what to expect for a nights stay at the location.

Amongst the highlights were the lake where you can fish, kayak, take in the sun or have a great moment around the fire ring, the nightly deer feeding just alongside the entry road and an additional patio for sunning or enjoying a peaceful retreat.

The camp itself is very small, but with that comes a lot of charm. They did mention that there is currently underway an expansion possibly on the waterfront for additional tent camping options to expand the single tent site now available.  For those visiting in an RV there are several spaces available currently with substantial parking area for larger units in addition to the lake cabin featuring 3 bedrooms and an ample porch for outdoor entertaining.

The charm of the campground is definitely in the details from painted rocks around the patio area, the campground mascots hanging out at key places for interaction, the unique bathhouse created from a small horse trailer and equipped with rustic finishings and the deer corn and bird seed left for each camper so they can interact more with their surroundings. This is a place which uniquely unveils itself the more you explore.

I had seen photos of the location but did not fully know what to expect, and boy was I surprised at how different my visit was than other reviewers from the site. When I arrived the lake was almost to the top of the camp border retainer wall, unlike other photos which I had seen when there was little to no water to explore.  Apparently the earlier in the season the more water usually you will find because later in the season the water is used for irrigation in surrounding areas and it becomes very low. Spring and early summer is the ideal time for lake related activities while late summer and fall are more about the discovery you can find along the banks and bed of the lake, which is more like hiking in my opinion.

Tips:

• Book in advance, especially if tent camping due to limited space. The Dyrt booking system is a perfect way to do this because it is extremely user friendly and allows you to communicate with the owner directly after your booking is confirmed if you have questions or any changes which need to be made before your reservation.
  • GPS can be a bit tricky on the lake roads. While getting to the general proximity works well, the division of roads can be hit or miss with some GPS systems.  I use an Iphone and it had me take an extra block just to get to ultimately the same location I could have been a couple of minutes earlier had it have told me just to go straight.
  • Take advantage of the patio down the hill by the water. There is a full picnic table, 4 loungers and a fire ring with benches in this area. You can drive down or walk down, set up and have a great meal right by the water.
  • Don’t forget to ask about kayaks! There are 2 kayaks available for rent, you need only ask in advance to reserve them for your usage.

For More Information About Fishing At Lake Medina CLICK HERE

For More Information About Bandera CLICK HERE

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, in addition to having access to great campgrounds, I also am given the opportunity to try and review products and gear best suited for my active camping lifestyle. For my trip to Baulderdash I was able to prepare all my meals using the Primus Power Trail Backpacking Stove With Piezo.

I was a little worried I wouldn’t have the stove before my trip with only a couple of weeks between booking and estimated camping date, however from order to delivery there was less than a week’s time, arriving well before I departed for my trip. To be honest I didn’t want to try it out or anything until I arrived at my campsite so I could get a true feel for the size, the function and overall experience since this was my first Primus item.

First Impression:

The size seemed a good fit for what I was looking for.  I have used a camping stove previously and knew I wanted something similar in size but also something which would address all my previous concerns with the other brand.

What Were My Previous Brand Concerns?:

• Uneven Heating
  • Wind
  • Heating Time
  • Starting
  • Balancing

With all these concerns, I decided to play it safe and make sure I had the instructions with me just in case. (Available in multiple languages) And while I did read them, I really didn’t have to because the stove was very user friendly when I actually started assembling it. (I would suggest a new user who has never used a backpacking stove to give it a quick once over)

I opted for this stove because of its 4 stove balancing points. My previous stove had only 3 and many times it made it difficult to balance when my surface was not entirely even or if my food was slightly shifted in my pan. The 4 points are pulled upward from their fold and locked into place tightly, giving another layer of security to me when using the stove and checking off one of my concerns.

The stove attaches to your propane bottle by screwing it onto the top.  With this you want to have a firm hold because if it is not screwed on tight enough it will not start. You will quickly know if it isn’t on tight enough when you twist the piezo because you will not hear the gas flowing. I learned this on the second use when I was making my breakfast and I thought I had broken it by not putting it in my bag the same way it had been previously. Gave me a little panic, only to discover it was operator error not stove damage.

Having the piezo and igniter fully eliminated my frustrations which came from starting and lighting the previous stove, which I always felt was a bit dangerous because you would have to ignite it right at the source of the gas and many times it would intensely flair up. The Primus keeps you at a safe distance from the actual starting of the flame so check off another concern!

To cook on the stove I opted to really test its heating ability. I did so using chilled water, wanting to see just how long it actually would take to bring it to a rolling boil for use on a variety of common camping needs.  Less than 10 minutes and my water was rolling and steaming maxing out temps high enough for pretty much anything I could ever need from creating an egg omelet in a sandwich bag, hydrating a meal, boiling water safe consumption or making piping hot water thermos for keeping warm in my tent on a cold night.

In my opinion, the timing was very good. In addition, though there was a bit of wind it seemed to continue burning consistently instead of all of the flames shifting to a single side.  While I didn’t test the overall even cooking because I had only boiled water I can only assume from the other results that this also would be addressed and answered by the balancing and also even flame.

I hydrated a dehydrated meal for dinner, anyone who has done this before knows if the water isn’t warm enough it will not cook through and you will be eating pure crunchy starch. That meal turned out great! In the morning, I made my protein packed oatmeal with dehydrated fruits and a coffee.  Layering the fruits on the bottom to allow them the most access to hydrating following with oats and protein powder I was able to with the Primus create a breakfast quality mirroring that of what I could have made with a full kitchen at home requiring a stove, chopping block and coffee maker, all with a single burner.

Tips:

• Try the Primus pots to cook with on the stove. Designed by Primus the materials are durable and have a non-stick element to them that is unmatched in my opinion. Not to mention by using these you are guaranteed an even cook because they are designed with the perfect dimensions for the cook surface and when using you will not have to worry about your pot or pan being sized to large on your surface and becoming tipsy.
  • Store items together. If you do choose to use the Primus pots and pans, you can easily store your Power Trail Backpacking Stove within its pouch and inside the pots and pans to reduce your footprint in you bag or when storing your items when not traveling. Think of those nesting dolls and how they stow one inside another, this is basically the same thing.

For Full Product Review Video CLICK HERE

Good but too much horse excrement

It's a good place to go with family but too much horse excrement for next family to stay

Loved it!

We called ahead and got a good idea of what we needed and what to expect. Upon arrival, we were beyond impressed. Wendy was so helpful and accommodating. She didn't rush us or seem bothered even though we came just after closing. (We didn't know!) We were able to take advantage of their active duty special. The store had everything we needed that we didn't grab beforehand. (Fire wood and energy drinks, plus cow candy for the little one!) She not only got us our map she was kind enough to actually take us to our site and show us where the facilities were. Since we came during the week, no one else was using the primitive tent sites with us which made for a private and exclusive experience. During the night, we could still hear trains and airplane but none of that could've ruined our amazing night. We were provided with a fire ring and couldn't have asked for more. She made sure to give us a 24 hour phone number in case there were ANY problems. Definitely will be back any time we are in town. Thank you again.

Beautiful, dramatic scenery, nature

This campground is located near the center of the park and at a high elevation. It is located in the only mountain range that is entirely within a national park. There are many hiking trails and chances for encounters with nature in the area. The campground is not accessible for large rv's or large tow behinds, so tent camping, pop up callers, tear drop trailers, and class b vans are prevalent. There is a gift shop and restaurant in crisis basin as well.

Wonderful national park campground

Beautiful views, great facilities, and awesome weather. Big Bend National Park is one of the best stops in Texas, hands down, and the Chisos Basin Campground is the best spot in the park. To the east, the campground is shadowed by Casa Grande, the largest peak in the Chisos. To the west you have the Window, an awesome cut in the basin that lets the sun peek through a little longer in the evenings.

Not bad Not great

This place is close to San Antonio, but the sites are sardene like and there si no shade. This is an ok place to spend a night but nothing really nature about it.

Great spot!

Nice park with room between campers, and lakeside!

Awesome horseback riding trails!

Absolutely love the trails here! The views are breathtaking and the trails vary from easy to challenging. The only issue we’ve encountered is that the new maps don’t always give an accurate description of how challenging the trails are. The staff work really hard to keep the trails maintained, but heavy rains will cause the trails to erode, so they will close the trails depending on the weather. Hiking, biking and horseback riding are all allowed and hikers and bikers are required to yield the right of way to horseback riders. I’ve ridden horseback here for many years and have always found the hikers and bikers to be very considerate. Shoes or boots are recommended since most trails are rocky. The Trailhead Equestrian Camp has 6 sites with two pens at each site and water should be available in April 2019 at each site. There’s a vault toilet and water for horses centrally located in the camping area. There’s also a round pen for supervised use. Camping with electric hookups is available at Chapa campground on a first come basis unless reserving the entire campground. The Group Lodge is also available for groups. Check out the TPWD website for more information.

Nice Campground

We stay there for 3 months last winter. Campground is a good location to visit San Antonio and the surrounding area. The owners are great people and they always have things going on for the campers. You can fish in the creek or just relax. They have great campfires for everyone to enjoy.

Most scenic campsite in Texas

You can't get better views than the onces in this campground. The only problem is how crowded it gets. Lots of kids and boy scouts unfortunately.

Very nice for KOA

This is one of the nicest KOAs I’ve stopped at. Everyone was friendly at check in, the place is clean, and it isn’t all rock like many KOAs. They have several bathroom/shower buildings scattered around, and some have large “family shower rooms “ which is nice. There is even regular bus service from right in front downtown to the Alamo and Riverwalk. Be sure to visit the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park. Beautiful churches scattered along an easy drive.

Brutal

Rocky and uphill both ways.

Outstanding

Available to all retired military and active duty…others but not sure who…Beautiful sites……..

Outstanding

Beautiful….very nice dog park…just really nice people and very helpful….