Blanchard, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Blanchard Camping Reviews
Great place to camp.

A great place to camp and spend time with family and friends, you can enjoy lots of trails and explore the woods, and also a great place to enjoy the night sky, see the stars and the Milky Way in the summer months.

Super friendly staff!

Sinnemahoning is definitely  an excellent spot for car campers to enjoy the Elk State Forest/PA Wilds region. It was a quiet sleep(a little gravelly for tents, but not bad) with dark skies for stargazing.The park staff was knowledgeable and super friendly. Tracy answered my sister’s 500 plant identification questions with cheerful patience. Will definitely be back. And we saw a bear!Beautiful area with a nice visitors center. It’s quite a bit further from Route 120 than we thought from the signs, but a nice ride. Wish it had a nicer playground and picnic area for the kids to enjoy. We would have liked to hang around longer but it was soooo buggy(not their fault).

Great camping in northern PA

Love it here! This is a great State Park. The campground has added many full hookup sites and there are also cabins available also. Nice clean sites.The lake has good trout fishing and the beach area offers a nice place for a relaxing summer retreat. Several picnic shelters are for rent if your looking for a place to have your reunion or annual company picnic. There are also boat/kayak rentals, a snack bar/ camp store, and a large modern bath house/changing building down near the beach.Come for the day or stay for the week. Parker Dam State Park offeres something for everyone.

Well kept

Sites are pretty level and well kept. The bathrooms are great! Remote, cute little place! They maintain the place well! There are a few trails close by. Nothing crazy but nice to have something close. Not far from cherry spring. We stayed at site 25. We were right next to the bathroom. Convenient, but did hear some traffic from other campers but not bad.

Splash Magic Review

Splash magic is a great family campground with tons of amenities. There is a great water park as well as adults only pool for those wanting a break from the little ones. Give it a try!

Rustic

Small sites with porta potty’s, did not stay found another campground

Best campground for the fall

Clean family friendly and walking distance to the overlook of the Grand Canyon. Bathrooms are clean and well maintained. Sites are large with plenty of room. Park Rangers are kind and available if needed. Kid area playground.

Nic cabin camping!

Nice, clean, friendly/accommodating staff and the prices were reasonable for the accommodations. My Outdoor Adventure Algorithm is:(Drink+Fire+Lean-To)-(Rules+Regulations+Fees)/(Crowd-Privacy)*(Isolation*Acceptability of loud, primal, Forest-Man behavior)=Camping. While you won't mistake yourself for a member of the Donner Party, you'll also be comfortable, watching Dish, cooking on a gas stove or microwave inside(fire-ring out), with cold food/drinks and ice from the'big' mini-fridge. Bunk room had 2 bunk beds, each with a full size mattress AND room to move, plus good natural light. Living/dining area is large with a wall-mounted tv, rustic wood dining set, storage room and hooks/hangers, good natural light, as well as sufficient artificial direct and ambient lighting.Comfortable couch pulls out into a comfortable bed. Large covered front porch with again more lighting and a hanging swing. Parking is driveway-close, and they're pretty mellow about blazing conflagrations(IF it's under control) so you can get a REAL bed of coals to properly cook.They also have used/re-purposed camping/RV/tailgating items for sale( some free). It would even make a good event-specific yard-sale trip. Overall, a damned nice hotel in the woods. Not a survivalist challenge or hXc camping experience; just a clean, safe getaway for a game, Arts Fest, or just a time-out

Fun weekend

My family of 4 tent camped here for the weekend. Everyone at this campground was so friendly and nice. The staff really tried to make our stay comfortable. I noticed there was always a staff member driving around in a golf cart, checking on things. The bathrooms were very clean and maintained the whole weekend. The firewood sold at the camp store was only$5 for a large bundle and burned very well. Some campgrounds seem to sell "wet" wood that is hard to light. My only negative comment would be this is more of an RV park. If you do tent camp you should know you will be out in the open, no trees around your site and NO privacy. I will say the tent sites are huge and you can park 2 cars at each one. We made the best of it. We stayed in site 404

Ranger Review of Banner & Oak Women's Hoodie at Parker Dam State Park

Campground Review:

This is our second trip to Parker Dam State Park.   It is a beautiful PA state park.   It is quiet and peaceful.   The leaves were beginning to change.  This trip was chilly at night, but gorgeous weather during the day.  Bathroom/shower houses are a bit outdated, but clean.  We had a full hook up site.  They have pet loops as well.  If you want to stay in September, book early.  Limited cell service.   Spent time driving to Benezette - about 30 minute trip - to see the Elk.   Great experience seeing approximately 100 elk.  Several very large bulls.   Would recommend the campground and the trip to Benezette to everyone.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, we get products to test from time to time- today we tested the Banner & Oak Women's Hoodie. https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hoodies/products/freedom-heathered-black I so apologize because we were so busy watching the elk in Benezette, that we completely forgot to take photos of the product.  This hoodie is very soft! The sizing is accurate.  While it is not a thick sweatshirt material, it keeps you very comfortably warm.   I prefer the thinner material versus a thick and heavy sweatshirt.   It has become my "go to" hoodie.   Pros:  Lightweight, but very warm.   Con:  The pouch in front is actually 2 small pockets even though it looks like a pouch.   I'm not sure this is really a "con" because it depends on what style you prefer.  At first, I wasn't sure about it, but I am beginning to like it.  Wish the pockets would be a little bigger though.   Overall, I think this is a great lightweight hoodie and worth a purchase!

Beautiful starry skies & trails!

Only was able to spend one night here but I’m excited to return ASAP! The night skies were beautiful (starry starry night w/little light pollution) and trails galore leading directly from the campground. Bathrooms were clean as well- an added bonus!

Beautiful. Quiet. Fun.

We stayed here with friends and had a lovely time. The campground was maybe only 1/2 full and the camp sites near us were empty so we had a very quiet and peaceful weekend. The creek and river are perfect for curious little ones to explore. Great fishing spot. The walk to the tunnel is quick and easy for all ages. Beautiful spot. We will go again.

One of our favorites

This place is great! Always end our season here. The Halloween weekends are the best.

Ole Bull State Park

This park is in Potter County in the PA Wilds.  The campsites are flat, some in full shade and others out in the open.  Electric sites are available with water access to fill tanks but no water hookups.  The bath houses are well maintained with newer renovations, tiled floors, shelves over the sinks, large stainless steel utility sinks for dish washing.  Firewood is available 24 hours on the honor system for $6 per bundle.  The campground hosts are right next to the ranger station in case the ranger isn't in.

There is a lot to do in the park; hiking, fishing, swimming in Kettle Creek, horseshoes, swings and playsets, and several charcoal grills and picnic tables for day use.  This is a great location if you want to explore the area, Ole Bull is less than 20 minutes away from Cherry Springs Dark Sky preserve.  It is an hour and 30 minutes from Kinzua Bridge State Park, The PA Grand Canyon is near by, and the Town of Wellsboro.  Its also near Route 6 Scenic Highway.

Named after a ghost town

The town of Sizerville may be gone and forgotten and the history of the CCC camps seldom told… but the wind whispers the secrets that the hemlocks and the pines still hold. One of these is the natural beauty of this State park. So many reasons to come and spend a day or two here! A playground to spark the imagination of any child! A spring fed swimming pool to cool you off on the hottest day! A nature center to explore and trails galore! 6 pavilions and even a horseshoe pit! The interesting thing I found here was a very large collection of skulls of all the different wildlife even an elk skull! The perfect park to sit around the campfire at night and share a few ghost stories! There is plenty to enjoy here anytime of year and the streams have both native and stocked trout. The park is well maintained and everything was super clean!

Packed!

If you are first timer and going in for Friday - Sunday weekend camp trip….know this campground will be packed.  We tried to rent kettle bikes for the kids twice during our stay and none where available both times.  We also had people walking thru out campsite all weekend and the common areas had trash laying around.  This campground needs some TLC.   Was our first time and we most likely will not be back.

Nice showers, pricey, not much scenery

The place was nice, with nice spots and nice hot showers but overall, there wasn’t much to bring me back. There’s a little lake there, and a stream and some trails but in general it’s all pretty uninspiring. If you’re looking for a place to get away from everything it’s fine but, if you’re looking for adventure or proximity to impressive nature and geography, keep moving.

The stars

This is one of the darkest places that I have ever been. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure that it stays dark. There are no lights in the bathroom at the campground but that’s a sacrifice for the dark sky and they give out red cellophane to put over flashlights that are too bright. The stars were so bright during our visit that I could probably have counted over 1000. I would love to go back with a telescope when the kids are a little older.

Well kept and convenient

We stayed at one of two walk-in sites at Greenwood. The highlights were a spacious camp site, nice bathrooms, little light pollution (we saw the Milky Way!) and hearing screech owls at night.

A couple of really nice things about this campground: You can buy ice ($2), bundles of wood (15 pc @ $5) and as long as you don't need change, it's self serve. The shower house is nice, nothing too fancy but clean. There's also a toilet-only bathroom closer to the walk-ins with a mirror and a baby changing table. It was VERY clean and heated, which was glorious considering it was quite chilly at night. There's also drinking water spigots in several locations which is a big plus and not something you see a lot in most state parks.

The walk-ins are not very far from the little parking lot, so it was easy to carry our gear down to the site. The site itself was HUGE in comparison to the other sites. Also close to a nice little stream.

There were a few big puddles from this summer's torrential rains but surprisingly no mosquitoes to speak of. The only con about this campsite was that it's down the hill from PA 305. It was fine during the night, but traffic started to pick up at daylight. Maybe it would not bother everyone, but it was annoying to be reminded you're right next to the road all day.

Great weekend!

We are extremely pleased with the campground. We decided to stay here based on it's close proximity to Bucknell University. The staff is friendly, clientele is calm. Lots of well maintained seasonal sites. All the kids flock to the playground. A nice feature is the petting zoo. We will definitely return!

Peace and Quiet in Penns Woods

There are a couple things that we love in life, and right at the top of that list is peace and quiet in the great outdoors. The wilds of Penns Woods or the area better known as the state of Pennsylvania offers great opportunities for the camping and outdoor enthusiast alike.

This past week we took the time to mix some business with pleasure and ended up at Hemlock Acres Campground located just a short distance from State College of Pa. You would never know that this little piece of heaven on earth is so close to one of the biggest college sports phenoms in the nation(the Penn State Nittany Lions). As you drive up the mountain and into this outdoor haven, the peace and serenity of mother nature kicks in and your troubles seem to get left behind.

Our hosts, Rudy and Ann Schock, who just happen to be clients of ours welcomed us to their property to get a feel for what camping at Hemlock Acres is like. Keep in mind that Hemlock is filled with mostly seasonal campers that return year in and year out for not only the hospitality offered here, but also the atmosphere and amenities the Schock's have to offer. They park their RV's and travel trailers on the close to 150 acre complex to forget about life for a while.

If your not a regular however, this campground offers a number of transient sites both back in and pull through along with a number of rental cabins that sleep anywhere from two to eight people. Some are rustic and some have bathrooms but all are well equipped for your stay. Two bath houses and a game room and playground with pool are onsite to keep you comfortable while there.

We've stayed at a lot of different facilities over the years and we loved the cabins at Hemlock. They were in great condition, were well equipped and the best part, were bright and clean inside.

Tent sites for individuals and groups are also available here. Nestled under the Hemlocks on the very back of the property, this area offers picnic tables and fire rings and a peaceful nights sleep.(no traffic noise to worry about here) and lots of area to explore.

To top it all off, an in ground pool and play area lie near the entrance to the campground and are centrally located for all guests to enjoy.

Wonderful campground

Stayed there the August 2-4. Great little campground. Very friendly staff. Minutes away from a town and the gorge. Hiking trail from the campground to the gorge! Highly recommended!!

Beautiful views, clean campground, friendly people. Ice cream, arcade, restaurant and camp store all walking distance away.

Great park

Since I am from near the area, I camp here a lot, and I will say that it is a great campground. The sites are spacious and well taken care of, and if you camp on the upper loop, there is a lot of separation between sites, which is nice. The bathrooms are average, not the best I've seen, and certainly not the worst. The sites aren't all level, so If it rains, certain sites become ponds. Other than this, though, it is an awesome campground, and I highly recommend it!

Short weekend adventure

Tail end of our vacation came with a camping trip! We went to riverside and the weather was perfect! The bands were great both nights. We all took the kayaks out on the Susquehanna River that runs behind the property for a sunny paddle. Came back and went to a wine fest, in the park that is right next to the campground, bought some root beer moonshine (which is AMAZING) then ended the night with hamburgers music and a friendly (competitive) game of corn hole. Riverside is such a great place for a short weekend away.

Small, well kept

We stayed at site 8 which is creekside. It was a large, beautiful site and the sound of the burbling water lulled us to sleep every night. The bathrooms and showers are very clean and modern (tiled, not concrete block for a change). The only downside to the area is the quantity of timber rattle snakes that we encountered, one at our site and one in the woods nearby. Something to keep in mind if you have pets or small children.

Remote and comfortable

Spent a week here and loved it. Very remote wooded area with small stream. Sites are tight but worth it, gorgeous area. Bathrooms are clean and large, staff keeps the grounds immaculate. Lake and beach nearby.

Relaxing but busy with visitors

Sites are close together small  and in wooded areas. Close enough to the lake and beach which is clean but small. Bathrooms are well kept and clean workers keep trash picked up and grounds immaculate. Very close to Cherry Springs International Dark Sky  Park with its amazing views of the stars and Milky Way.

Pearl Hunting

What I like the best about exploring different State Parks is the hunt to find the pearl… that one thing that makes each park stand out from all the other parks I have visited. This pearl hunt is a completely individualistic process. For example the beautiful stream (Honey Creek) running through it might be the pearl for a fisherman ( It has native and stocked trout). Or the playground might be the pearl for a mom or dad. For me, the pearl is a super clean, eco-shower. Yep that’s right, the shower! Timed water, lights (solar?)etc. are spot on for me! A shower? That doesn’t seem very exciting, you might say…let me explain; My De-stress thing to do after a hard week at work is to go and have Dinner at the park. I first take a nice warm shower and let all the stress of the day go down that drain. Then I go find a deserted section and a picnic table and just sit down. Immediately I can feel every bit is stress or anxiety dissipate. My ears are filled with the sounds of crickets, birds and other insects. This is my meditation music. There are three pavilions and tables everywhere in the park. In this atmosphere, I chew slower, taste more and I swear, food tastes better out of doors…. better than any restaurant… try it sometime! Other favorite things about Reeds Gap - pet friendly … it is tents only, but I like that about it too… I like the rustic setting. There are 3 beautiful pavilions and tons of parking! I also like their waste management as they offer recycling for the campers. There is a trail head near the entrance of the park for hikers and a geocache showed up close to the trail on a road on my geocache tracker if you are into that. I have just shared what makes Reeds Gap special for me, but you will have to come explore this gem for yourself and find your own pearl and what makes this state park one of Pennsylvania’s treasures.

small remote campground

This is a small, fairly remote campground.  The sites are very small- some don't even have room for a pop-up canopy.  Sites have a fairly level parking pad for campers. Some sites lead you to believe they are on water (stream)- the stream is barely there and there is no access to it.  There are ATV trails all over the park which can get loud.  Tons of great hiking trails and a great beach.  Fishing and boat launch also available.