The best DRIVE IN camping near
Ringwood , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Ringwood Camping Reviews
So much fun

You can’t camp at the actual Salt Plains. We spent the day here and had such an awesome time. I took kids ages 3-12 and they all had a blast. Make sure to bring metal shovels and metal hand shovels bc the plastic ones will break, you will want sand buckets, egg cartons to put the crystals in bc when they come out they are still soft and brittle, sunscreen, lots of water, towels, baby wipes, a umbrella if you have one (we didn’t need it but a lot of people prefer them). I can’t stand sand/salt on me (think nails on a chalk board feeling) so I needed to shower pronto afterwards and couldn’t so lots of water to rinse off with is a good thing to have. You will have sand and salt all over your car inside and out FYI lol.

Stunning

This place is gorgeous and the views are breathtaking from the top. There aren’t a lot of hiking trails. It’s one way up, walk around on the plateau and back down you go. We drove pretty far to see it and it wasn’t a long stop. We spent a decent amount of time up too but next time will make it a part of a bigger trip to see more things. There’s picnic tables and restrooms. I’d for sure picnic here. The way up is steep. I took my dog and she did great going up the grates steps. So did my children (ages 6 and 13). They do have a water hydrant by the bathrooms so you can get water for your pets. My kids enjoyed putting their faces in it bc it was a pretty hot day lol. There is a vending machine but it was not working when we went.

Great lakeside sites

This is a Army Corps Engineer campground. Well maintained. Great sites. Some lakeside. Many have tons of shade. Site spacing is good. Check in process was a bit annoying. Made reservations and paid online then had to wait in a long line at gate shack for them to hand you paperwork. Old guy on golf cart is not very friendly. Some of the best Walleye and Striper fishing around. Overall a great park

A great gateway to adventures

The camping at Great Salt Plains State park is a fine place to park the camper and stay, but most of the adventure is elsewhere in the park/refuge. You'll need to drive to get to almost everything.

We stayed at the Sandy Beach Campground. This review is for that campground. If I had to do it again (I will) I would stay at the River Road Campground. It's much more shaded, more isolated and along the river. Not to mention the awesome Cliff Swallow flights from under the river bridge!

The campsite is clean and simple. The sites on the western edge have more shade than the rest, the sites in the center of the loop can feel strangely exposed with little in the way of natural boundaries between sites.

Noise level: Look… this is a OK stake park lake site. Yes it's attached to a national refuge. Yes there are awesome things to see and do. But it's still a lakeside park. So, expect lots of huge 5th wheels with big outdoor speakers. In the summer I would guess there will be at least one camper who wants to share his music with you. It's a shame… but it's true. There is also a fighter training base adjacent to the park run by the Air Force. It's not as obnoxious as bubba's music, but just know it's there. And most of the time they just fly during the day.

You can walk to the lake and the swimming area near the dam. It's a day use area, so there's some folks that like to leave some trash, but you know… pick it up for them and carry on.

Now… when you leave there and head into the national refuge, that's where things get great. What a beautiful, unexpected landscape. The north side of the refuge has great hiking trails that are full of wildlife. The southwest side of course has the crystal digging area. It's really a great place to spend a weekend. Word to the wise, in the fairer months, get on and off the salt plains early to avoid the heat and the day trippers.

Overall, this is a serviceable campsite that can serve for a great launching point for exploring/hiking/birding in the refuge. The wildlife present is outstanding.

FYI… no, you can't fly your drone here. There is a national refuge, a state park and an Air Force base. It took me a long time to arrange all the clearances required, but my flight was legal.

Fun time but lost a lot of golf balls!

We enjoyed a fun weekend at Roman Nose State Park. There’s a lot of history there with many activities available. We had a fun round of golf on a difficult course.

Great for the hot days

We visited Roman Nose in July of 2020 (my latest of several trips there since my youth). My boys loved it and enjoyed the hiking, fishing, and swimming. Our morning hike concluded around lunch and the shade-covered natural springs were a great way to beat the afternoon heat.

Lots of other activities available include putt putt, paddle boats, swimming pool, golf course, and the great restaurant Foggy Bottom Kitchen.

No Campground

Stopped by and my 11 year old son said “this is the best place ever”! Would be a great spot to stop and take a nice long travel break.

Plenty to offer

This is a beautiful area with plenty to offer. The golf course is challenging and my 11 year old was free. The signage getting to the park was great but within the park not so much. Know where your going before hand if you can. Be careful of low hanging branches if you have a taller RV.

Nice park

We camped right next to the river. Was very peaceful and had a great view. There's also plenty to do there if you go during crystal digging season.

Off the beaten path but not too far! Perfect for adventures!

This park is nestled in the red rock hills of close north central Oklahoma with its curved and tree-filled landscape hiding awaiting adventures and treasures to be discovered! The landscape’s curves, twists and turns produce moments of discovery including natural springs abundant with icy cold, clear water flowing from rocky walls and gurgling streams as one winds through pathways of wild wooded areas.

Options for all levels of outdoor-lovers include the lodge, with hotel-type accommodations, restaurant and outdoor seating area to the more adventurous Tipis for those who want to experience a more “close encounter” with nature!

Certainly something for everyone including the good sized lake with recreation for the whole family!