The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Peno Corner , OKLAHOMA

Camping Oklahoma Peno Corner Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Peno Corner Camping Reviews
Nice, clean little camp

The people who take care of this camp do a great job. Everything is tidy and well kept.

Spaces aren’t too tight together, but not much privacy either - except for us because we were the only ones there!

The Ouachita Trailhead starts here and two of the primitive camps (1 and 2) are right at the trailhead.

There was at least one other trail leading away from camp.

Camp store is closed during the week - at least during the time of year of our visit.

The town of Talihina is about 6 miles from camp. I didn’t see a grocery store, but it had a couple of well stocked convenience stores. It also has a few cafes. The food at Pam’s Cafe was good. There was also a nice looking coffee shop, but we didn’t try it.

The Talimena Drive starts very close by, so this would be a good base camp for cruising that scenic drive. I’d love to come back in the fall, but the views are incredible anytime. Pictures don’t do it justice.

Many sites back up right to the adjacent highway. A little hill and some trees block the view, but the road noise is loud. And several trucks in the middle of the night were heavy on their jake brakes.

Our site had a nice gazebo over the table. My son enjoyed the playground, though it is really sized for kids 6 and under.

Absolutely wouldn’t mind camping here again.

Tucked up in the mountains

If you plopped me into this camp I wouldn’t have guessed I was in Oklahoma.

Just a bit off the beautiful Talimena Drive, it is well shaded, close to spectacular overlooks and lots of hiking options around.

Ouachita Trail access and other options available.

23 sites to pick from and there are a variety to choose from. Some pull-through, some smaller. All appeared to have tables and grills.

Neatly kept and peaceful.

I had Verizon service, but bring what you need - it’s a long way to town.

It had bear caution signs, so be advised.

Holy cow kinda park

One of the prettiest places I’ve ever been. Waterfalls abound, and the blue water Lee Creek is to die for. AT&T non existent.

One night stay

We stayed here for just one night in Shady Grove area on the top of the hill. Sites were tight and we were clearly placed in a bigger pull through site that was split in two sites. We arrived later in the evening and people in other half of site had already taken over forcing us the back into site pad up a steep incline in the dark under a tree. We made it, but not easy. For distanced dispersed camping, look elsewhere.

Great Public Campground

Beautiful park- right on the river.  Wooded lots in most cases, large lots with great space between sites.   Drop Kayak, SUP right off the back of your site.

Some sites are a little uneven.   And some sites are tough to get a 41ft 5th wheel into.

Stayed only one night but would look be nice to stay here much longer.  Quiet, water views n most cases.

Winter Serenity

Very pretty campground, clean and relatively quiet this time of year. A very few campers here the week of Christmas 2020. Firewood available at the camp host site. Very nice lake views. Birdwatching is pretty good. Check out Spiro Mounds and Heavener Runestone, less than an hour's drive from Wister Lake.

Simple, good price

I saw one cockroach and multiple hibernating lady bug colonies in the non-heated bathroom. Take this as a pro or a con #wildlife. My dogs loved sniffing around the grounds. Overall this place is okay but nothing fancy. Notably, the site we were told we had reserved had another occupant in it. Very confusing check in process.

Perfect for all

First time in the Ouachita national forest and we found a most excellent spot next to Lillard Creek off of 6010 Deadmans trail Rd. Would recommend a 4wd vehicle. There’s a short rock trail to go up to reach the campsite, also too narrow for my Tundra. Enough space for a family or if your going on a solo camp. Done hanging out at camp? There’s an awesome trail a little north of camp called Boardstand trail, take it east and you you can follow it to 8554 Red Bank, follow it south to Ouachita Trail, then follow it west until you reach Talimena Scenic drive, then you can walk along side the road to the Scenic view of where you were just hiking and bask in its glory! Next you’ll run up on 6010 deadman’s gap trail road again. Take it back down to your camp! Your back! It’s a good 6 mile hike that will get your heart going. Steep hills, beautiful waterways, gorgeous mountains! Nothing better! The creek water runs all the time so no need for your forest noise making machine. All the sounds you’ll need are by the fire and the Lillard Creek. It was a blast! Get out there and breath the fresh air! Peace and Love, Seth Armes

Quaint little park

We stayed the week before the park officially opened, and found it to be a great little COE park. Right on the water.

Loved this Park!

This has to be one of my favorite campgrounds. So scenic and beautiful (even in November). Lots of trails to explore, a visitor's center, during non-pandemic times they have a swimming pool, store, and restaurant by the little lake. Love all the CCC history! The cleanest shower house I've been to in quite some time. We stayed in Camp loop A, basic sites. We were right by Lee Creek, so we enjoyed "babbling brook" sounds all night! The spots are spacious and well-shaded, and offer a level gravel tent pad at each site. The ONLY suggestion I can make is to bring a small shovel to clean out the fire rings, because ours looked like it hadn't been cleaned all season. Six inches of wet ash isn't conducive for building a nice campfire.