Mojave River Dam , OKLAHOMA

Camping Oklahoma Mojave River Dam

Most Recent Mojave River Dam Camping Reviews
Campgrounds Vary

We booked a Deep Ford campsite online but were disappointed when we arrived. The sites were really close together with almost no privacy. There were a lot of people parked in the campground lot for fishing during the day, so it felt pretty cramped. Luckily, you can change your reservation online. We drove around to all of the different tent sections and found a much better option at Eagles Nest. It was wooded and the sites were more spread out. It had a stone fire ring, a table, a grill, and a lantern pole. There are no bathrooms nearby, but there are several throughout the park that are just a quick drive away if you really need them.

If you're looking for less crowded spots, it seemed like Eagles Nest and Lake Wayne Wallace were the best options.

Great outting

Nice amenities. Clean bathroom. Well maintained trails. I look forward to coming back to rock climb. Great for a weekend away or a family day trip. In warmer weather we definitely would have went kayaking. The most exciting thing for us was to explore with minimal research of the area. It felt like a treasure hunt!

To my understanding you do need to park to pay.

Great for Winter Camping

We stayed here for one night in late December. It was a Sunday and we had the whole campground to ourselves. The hosts were friendly and helpful. All of the sites looked nice, but ours was especially beautiful. It was fairly easy to pull in and out in our Rav4, though there isn't a paved drive or pad. It smelled amazing and the ground was covered in a thick bed of pine needles. There's a really fun little trail that runs from the campsites down to the runestone.

The restrooms were single person, clean, and well stocked. There were several day visitors using the little playground and picnic tables, so I imagine it would be pretty busy and probably a lot less peaceful in the warmer seasons.

One night stay

We stayed here for just one night in Shady Grove area on the top of the hill. Sites were tight and we were clearly placed in a bigger pull through site that was split in two sites. We arrived later in the evening and people in other half of site had already taken over forcing us the back into site pad up a steep incline in the dark under a tree. We made it, but not easy. For distanced dispersed camping, look elsewhere.

Clean and deserted in winter

I arrived after dark on December 27th. I had made a reservation (and paid the $15) through their website. When I got to the park, I followed signs for Paradise Cove and reached the camping area. I never found my exact campsite (#27) but it was completely empty so I took a different one and left a note in my windshield. The phone number on the confirm email forwards after hours to the lodge, and the person was very nice when I called but couldn’t help me.

It was a bit confusing once I got there and was trying to find my site, I went online again and found another website that said paradise cove camping was closed, but the guy on the phone said the online reservations are kept up to date.

Paradise cove is right by the bridge over the lake and I could hear and see traffic. Each site is numbered on the picnic table (hard to see, especially in the dark) and the bathrooms were closed. I never found the water taps.

In the morning, I was right on the lake, with lots of birds! It was beautiful despite the traffic. I would stay again but pick a different campground in the park.

Almost perfect!

The weather was prime for a December campout. It was a tad windy, but the campsite offered a nice spot with a round table, grill, and rock ringed fire pit. Large tree surrounded campsites were all perfect for roof top tenting. We booked site 40, but couldnt find 39 or 40 so we stayed at 35. Kindling was plentiful (firewood available at the park office $5 a bundle). Short hike down to the water. There was a "beach" on the south end near the amphitheater and nature center. Once the sun went down we noticed a massive Christmas lighting display up near the RV portion. This made the trip! The restroo. Was open near our site. HEATED!. Loved the entire experience. I will return!

Not accessible

There is one road in to this camping area. It’s blocked off by cement barricades so you can’t access it. Should have turned around when I heard the banjos. 0 stars.

Great Public Campground

Beautiful park- right on the river.  Wooded lots in most cases, large lots with great space between sites.   Drop Kayak, SUP right off the back of your site.

Some sites are a little uneven.   And some sites are tough to get a 41ft 5th wheel into.

Stayed only one night but would look be nice to stay here much longer.  Quiet, water views n most cases.

Views from on high

Really great vistas from the upper overlook. We stopped to see the runestone on our way back home from camping at Lake Wister. Wooded and clean, with a small gift shop (closed when we got there). Tent and RV camping available, which we didn't look at, but don't think big trailers and buses would fit; ours is an 18-footer, and was questionable at that! Really cool trek down to the runestone, but would highly recommend good walking shoes or boots, for it's a steep, rocky path with lots of small, deep steps and very few handrails or barriers; some areas are wet. Trail is not handicap accessible. There are a couple of benches along the way to stop and catch your breath and admire the rock formations. Donations taken for the runestone walk at the box outside the gift shop. Camping prices are reasonable.

Winter Serenity

Very pretty campground, clean and relatively quiet this time of year. A very few campers here the week of Christmas 2020. Firewood available at the camp host site. Very nice lake views. Birdwatching is pretty good. Check out Spiro Mounds and Heavener Runestone, less than an hour's drive from Wister Lake.