Maud , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Maud Camping Reviews
Beautiful lake views

Overall, I really enjoyed camping here and will definitely will be back.

Awesome place.

Very well kept. Clean and friendly.

Very Impressed

Family and I stayed here for the weekend and were very pleased with the amenities and upkeep of the campgrounds. The concrete pad made for easy set up the trailer. The beaches were no different with easy access and well kept shores. One of the nicest campgrounds in the area. The only con would be the lack of cell service. For some, this may not be a big deal and for us it was nice to have a break from the world, but there were moments where some type of connection would have been nice. This is by far a family favorite and a place we look forward to going back to.

Best campground on Thunderbird

This campground rocks. It is camping made easy. The views are the best I have seen around the lake and this park area is much cleaner than others. The fire ring is awesome as it is waist-level and has a grill. Definitely worth the 21 bucks. The best tent campsites are 17-20

Beautiful site

This was a back in site right on the water. We looked at some other areas where you were so far from the water you wouldn’t even know you were at a lake. The site was level and had a nice picnic table out near the water.

Great Time at Buckhorn Campground - Chickasaw NRA

My son and I spent 2 nights tent camping at the Buckhorn Campground at Lake of the Arbuckles.  We camped at Site 064 Loop C and it was very convenient to the restroom and showers.  Also, the Camp Host was right next to us.  But, there were no safety concerns.   Boating on the lake was also nice.  We took a Jet Ski and did some wakeboarding and it was not very crowded. All the campers we talked to were very pleasant and friendly.  I would highly recommend this campground.

This is the nicer campground of all thunderbird

I liked this one the best if all the Dirtybird campgrounds. best position on the lake. Less of a party crowd over here.

Loop C & D Large & Spacious

When I went to check out this area it was mid-October and the campground was limited to only the loops C & D while the A & B, the first you see when you arrive were barricaded for the season. While I did see a few rogue campers who had parked at the entrance and hiked into these spaces, I chose to go ahead and explore the actual open spaces.

Pulling into the second loop of camping, you first arrive at Loop C, just before the pay station this area has a clearly posted sign that you need a reservation to stay here when you enter. I could see why when traveling through the loop, it was a pretty day and the spaces all seemed full with the exception of one. Toward the end of the loop, the road narrowed and made any passing impossible. Some of the spaces were pretty close to the water line toward the end and one even seemed to be a floating island all its own.

Spaces were open for both tents and RVs in this area for between $16 and $24 a night depending on the amenities you are looking for. All of the spots I looked at on loop C were $24 and had full electric and water in addition to their nice even pads, large paved drives, lantern hooks an both picnic tables and grills. I did notice on the map however there were a few scattered smaller sites without electricity.

The nice thing about the sites on Loop C were that they seemed large, especially toward the beginning and end of the loop, while these were not waterfront they were within yards of the water front and backed up to the wooded areas which made for a quieter evening and also for more space in the sites themselves.

TIPS:

• Book in advance if you are wanting to stay at this campground, you will have a full listing of all sites and be able to chose from your amenities you are looking for. In addition, you will be able to assure you will have a space at the campground. For those not able to do so, try Loop D during fall and winter.

• Beware of snakes in brush near shoreline and raccoons which often can be spotted trying to pillage through camp. Make sure you take precautions to keep animals from your camp by storing food inside vehicles when not in use and utilize dumpsters near camp instead of leaving trash near camp.

• Cell phone coverage might be spotty in this area. Though with AT&T I had good coverage reports from other providers have netted a less desirable signal.

Beautiful views of the lake from almost every site

There is a designated swimming area in the campgrounds.  Beautiful, wooded park with large lake that has a section for watersports and fishing.  I wish we had stayed here for more than one night. Definitely a place to return for a visit.  It is a little remote, but there was cell phone reception. Perfect for biking/scooters/walking/swimming.

I will try to stay on the outer rim the next time we go, so that we can enjoy meals by the water.

Great campground close to town

Some sites are nice and spacious and others are crowded. Check the map before making online reservations. Easy access to the lake for swimming, kayaking, etc. Playground, day use pavilions and swim area on site. Bathrooms near the day use area require quarters to use. Bathrooms away from the day use area don’t require payment, but aren’t as nice. They are passable though. This campground stays full. I highly suggest making online reservations well in advance if you want to camp there.