The best YURTS camping near
Zanesville , OHIO

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Zanesville Camping Reviews
Nice

This is a very nice campground! Definitely nice for a younger crowd! We hated our campsite rite buy the office, it was super busy and dusty from all the traffic! And the site were small! Loved the boat launch area! Not my favorite place, but I’d stay again

Pictures are deceiving

Stayed in July 2020 and it sure wasn’t like pictured! The mini golf is not even in use it is so bad. The pool was not open and looked like it hadn’t been in some time (even though when we called they said they were opening it right then) haha. Didn’t use the bathrooms or shower so unsure of them. Bought fire wood and was twice as expensive as anywhere else. Pro: the fishing pond for our grandson.

2019 Thanksgiving Visit

A review I forgot to post! We usually camp at Hocking Hills State Park each Thanksgiving and 2019 was no exception. We had site #80 which is the electric site on the end of the old camper cabins. It has more green space (when it's not muddy) and is close to the bathrooms. It is also across from the three new camper cabins. Besides being a wet and cold Thanksgiving, the park is still a great place to visit. The restrooms have flush toilets and showers. It's a good size, but can get pretty messy during their busy season. They also have a washer and dryer (one of each). The campground is big enough to walk and if you want to venture into the trails you can go past the swimming pool and towards group camp. When you get down the hill you arrive at Rose Lake and take the trail from there. Now with COVID-19 they are routing the trail system to be one way (I think). The campground is currently closed, but was scheduled to open in July. The best time to go in my opinion is in the fall in the middle of the week… you miss the crowds and get to see the changing leaves.

Family Retreat at its Best!

Hocking Hills State Park and campground are the perfect spot for families looking for a quick getaway! The campground is clean and well laid out, with sites that feel pretty comfortable.

Hiking through Hocking Hills (a 5 min walk from most camping sites) is also the perfect mix of challenge / reward for the little ones. There's plenty to see and keep them interested. My advice: Plan on a full-half day with a picnic lunch along the trail.

Driving time: Columbus = 1h, Cincinnati = 2.5h, Cleveland = 3.3h

Quick Tip: Check out neighboring attractions in the area. We went gem mining and the kids had a blast!

Scenic Large Camping Area

This park is fantastic because not only does it offer a large amount of more spread out RV hookups and campsites but also miles of hiking, mountain biking and horse trails as well as a canoe livery down the road. There are a couple waterfalls, a scenic overlook, fire tower, dam, pavilions, playgrounds and lots more.

A clean but opening campground

Campsites where big and level, but didn't have much privacy. The bathrooms were clean and well kept.  The trails where well-marked, they had maps at every junction so you didn't need a paper copy. However, what I didn't like about the trails was that you never felt like you were away from everything, most of the trails seemed like they were right next to the visitor's center, and the newer metal bridges took away from the landscape.

Nelsonville Music Fest Campgrounds

The Nelsonville Music and Arts Festival is one of my favorite summer festivals of all time. It is usually the first week of June. NMF is big enough to have some great artists play (Ween, the Avett Brothers, Mac Demarco, the Flaming Lips, Twin Peaks, and many more!) but small enough that it isn’t too crowded and most of the people there are friends or acquaintances. The campground for the fest is just outside of the music festival. You can drive in and purchase a camping pass, then drive to a spot, park your vehicle, and set up your tent right next to it. The area is broken into cool “streets” with unique street names. There are also camper and RV spots available. You can purchase firewood and ice on site. Alcohol is allowed in the camping area, but not on the road or parking lot. Outside alcohol is also not allowed in the festival. If it has been rainy the campsites and dirt roads can get muddy - turning the area officially into Mudville. The best sites are those along a road in the forested area however. During hot years the trees provide shade which helps keep it cool. They also protect from rain. There is always a stage set up in the campsite area on the “rowdy” side of the campgrounds. This stage hosts late night bands and DJs! It’s always a fun time.

Close proximity to natural attractions

Hocking Hills State Park, Oh-Site 89. https://thehockinghills.org/

Hocking Hills State Park offers close proximity to most of the popular natural attractions…Old Man’s Cave, Ash Cave, Cantwell Cliffs, etc….but for a tent camper that prefers solitude and space, I found it unappealing.

I did arrive late on a Monday evening, mid-October and got one of the last available sites. Packed on a Monday night!

I found the camping sites a bit cramped both in depth and width. Site 89 and 90 shared the same parking pad. Limited flat locations existed for a tent and my tent footprint is fairly small. You do have a firepit and picnic table with all three in fairly close proximity, so you must be extremely cautious with wind direction when deciding for a fire, else you’ll have embers dotting your tent and picnic table. Even though the neighbors were trying to be respectfully quiet…you heard every conversation and saw their every move.

No electric, which is fine in my book…the water spigot is centrally located on the loop and happened to be next to my site.

The restroom/shower facilities were not well cared for upon my visit. The floors were very muddy and trash was piled up in the corner of one stall and out of necessities.

Construction and dump truck noise started early with a project behind the restrooms.

The visitor’s center was well-stocked and the employee was pleasant. Cell service is unavailable and even sketchy at the visitor’s center. Wood can be purchased at the visitor’s center.

Close proximity to local attractions and a swimming pool are likely the big draw.

Knowing that I prefer solitude and distance when camping, I’ll likely not return but choose nearby Lake Hope State Park for my local visits.

Amazing!!

We took our family vacation at the end of July to Hocking Hills State Park. The campsite was amazing and we really enjoyed being there. We absolutely will be returning next year. The hiking trails were amazing and my family really enjoyed the hikes.

Amazing state park!

This state park was so amazingly beautiful to me. It was completely unexpected. This campground is basically in walking distance to the old mans cave trail head. This hike is a must and is not strenuous whatsoever. The campground had a pool (closed while I was there) and had nice showers/full bathrooms. Ash cave is another hike in the area that was beautiful.