Equestrian
About Mohican State Park
Hike In
Mohican State Park is located in Ohio
22 Reviews of Mohican State Park
Chestnuts Roasting On an Open Fire (Mohican State Park)

This trip was memorable for so many reasons but the Chestnuts really make this park stand out.  The park has several Chestnut trees which is usually a rare find these days.  Later on, I found a sign explaining why the park had so many Chestnut trees. They are working to bring them back.  We used our grubstick to roast them over the open fire.  Many of us fondly think of the Christmas song but how often have you roasted your own Chestnuts while camping?

The tent sites (short walk from parking lot) and one car per tent site.  Our site was not the traditional walk up/park camp site. It was a nice change of pace.  More space and great neighbors.

The camp store at this park had a lot of great things such as corn hole outside, a mining activity for the family, trikes you could rent, and most importantly ice cream.

The camp store is right across from the pool.  The pool is currently closed but not many state parks in Ohio have a pool right in the camp ground area.  This is a rare treat. The pool had the traditional pool, kiddo pool, and small splash pad. You could also see where they had installed a curb cut for those in wheel chairs or needing ramps. No pool lift that I could see to help someone lower in and out of the pool. This may be put away for the season so call to find out. They also had a ramp installed that led up to the pool. One side the old steps and the other side a new  ADA ramp.

The fire wood was in a white bag and that made it easy to move and kept the car clean which I appreciated. They also had bait so if you wanted to walk behind the pool and continue to the river it wouldn't be far to go fishing.

The shower house by us did not have an ADA bathroom and I didn't get a chance to look for the ADA shower.

Behind the campsites (our section) you could grab a short trail to the river. This was a lovely surprise as I followed a foot path.   We opted not to do the overlook hike to the gorge as we had fellow campers with us that couldn't do a long hike for safety reasons.  It as a nice surprise to learn that one could also drive to the overlook if they need to and all parties could enjoy the view together. Two different ways to get to the same place which means if you need to split up your campers based on physical skills then you could do so and then eat at the shelter together.

The camp ground has been FULL several times this season so make sure you make your reservations. This park also has a way for you to put on and take out of the river.  You will see folks walking around with their inner tubes as they will float down the small section.

We also drove 10 miles away to the Mohican Lodge to treat ourselves to some food and an OSU Football game at the bar downstairs. The bar has a great back patio and view of the lake.  It too has a variety of games in the back patio. They were awesome and turned on the closed caption feature for us.  Those of us that wanted to watched the game and others were able to play various games at the lodge (Ping pong, pool, read a book by the fire, go see the owls on site, and more).

The pool at the lodge is being redone at the moment. I may try to upload that information later.  So look for it to be new and improved. The pool also has a sauna for those that need some help to warm up/relax tight muscles. Usually, you can get a day pass for the lodge pool even when you are staying at the camp sites. This is a small fee but well worth it.

While we were at the lodge an outside non-profit group was there with 2 owls.  We hope to drive up to Mansfield sometime to explore their property (90 acres) with birds they have rescued or are helping. https://www.ohiobirdsanctuary.com/  they come to the lodge usually on Sat evening at 7 PM.

For those who are a fan of Shawshank Redemption the movie you are an easy day trip away from the Mansfield Reformatory. https://www.mrps.org/explore/tours

Camping along the river

Stayed here for a night after a concert in Cuyahoga falls, good amount of sites pretty close together. All sites run along the river, just a short walk up to the bathrooms, pretty well taken care of. Has some really nice trails nearby, trailheads at the bridge. Popped a tire pulling into our campsite, some jagged metal on the ground be cautious! (We picked up as much as we could find and all other sites looked well cared for so shouldn't be an issue) More of a family camping spot it seems, but definitely not exclusively. Towards the back of campgrounds people tend to stay up later and maybe make a bit more noise, stay closer to the front if you need to get to sleep early

Fun for the family

Very lite camping with mostly Rvs and campers. I found the space to be a little cramped but other than that it is located in a very beautiful area that I wouldn’t think was Ohio. Plenty of fun hikes to go on and places to shop. I rented a canoe with my family which was very affordable and turned out to be very entertaining. Overall it is in a relaxing area with a very easy camping style that people who have not camped before will enjoy.

A close (and inexpensive) getaway.

Mohican is a great place for a quick get away. I love the fact that you can get away from people in such a popular park and still have the piece and relaxation you need to decompress!

My last excursion was a park and pack where you leave your car venture into the woods and find your site. It was across the river so people never came near. Three days swinging in a hammock. Completely relaxing with the river near by.

Amzing place

I absolutely love the backpacking sites in the summer because they are secluded yet close by, although most have no cell service which isn’t a big deal for me! there is plenty to do & hike in the area. my last trip there was in late fall and i stayed in the traditional campground. it was wonderful because NO ONE was in the tent section and there was a beautiful view of the colorful trees. so relaxing and awesome! although i’m sure in the summer it’s packed & busy!!

Great Campgrounds and Amenities

Mohican offers great accommodations and clean facilities. It’s not the most secluded spots but if you are looking for something tucked away there a few sites. The ability to tube down the river and walk back to your camp site was so much fun. Trailheads are located right of the grounds and the surrounding area is full of great things to do. If swimming is your thing the pool is clean and well maintained and situated between two ridgelines so you float and stare around at wooded hillsides. Great after a day of hiking or crushing the mountain biking trails. Grab a walk-in site or one by the river. No problems with hammocks in sites we chose but not all sites have enough mature trees.

One of my all-time favorites

Where the glaciers stopped and the hills of Ohio begin. I have always loved visiting and camping here. Rich in history, culture, and nature, it is very easy to spend days here and do it all. Camping, Fishing, hiking, canoeing, activities, programs, the list goes on. Some parts of the park do get crowded at certain times of the year but if you know where to go you feel like you are the only one there.

Beautiful river, trails, running water in the toilets, yay!

I love Mohican State Park. There is so much to do- canoeing, kayaking, tubing, creeking, and great trails also.

This campground is nice but is crowded in the warmer months. Look for a site along the water, that's where the tree cover is. I stayed in a camper cabin which was very nice, with microwave and refrigerator.

There is running water in the toilets, which is nice for a state park in Ohio. The showers were decent, nothing to complain about there.

The primitive tent camping sites looked nice and peaceful- take care to get a shaded spot, though, as some were just exposed in a grassy field. There is a long bumpy walk from the parking area to the primitive sites, so bring a wagon or sled or something.

large campground

there are no water hook ups so fill your tanks on entering..there's a pool and many restrooms and bath houses. sites are close together. nice store and activities

Beautiful mohican state park

This camp ground is a first come first serve. It has several hiking trails.