Buckeye , NEVADA

Most Recent Buckeye Camping Reviews
The BEST 4 months.

I had the luxury of being a camp host at this location back in 2010 for a summer. While the USFS does over see the campgrounds on a regular basis, It was operated and maintained by Dodge Ridge Ski Resort. I'm pretty sure that if you want power you'll need to be self sufficient i.e( solar, wind or generator). Unless they upgraded the grounds, not sure if there are hook ups of any kind. I had a nice sturdy picnic table and a decent sized fire ring( remember dont leave until you drown your fire with at least 5-10 gal of water) dead out. If you dont bring your own wood that's ok. You are in national forest land if it's dead on the ground then you can burn it, dont get fires too large though. The fishing there is usually great in the summer time as long as the water isnt to high from the snow melt or a recent storm. I ate fresh rainbow trout when ever I took the short medium walk/ hike down to the river. The river is stocked with rainbow trout every Wednesday I think( check USFS website for current schedule and location) if you need to eat or have kids that wanna learn. Almost every cast was a fish for me. Albeit I'm not a beginner fisherman either so not much on the way of clunkers but still plenty of fun. However, there are many places where big fish are and every once in awhile you get a big fish. Some campsites are only for tents while some are for both. It's only available in summer due to roads to the campground are covered in ice and snow, as well as gates blocking the road (which allows the county to not have to plow in the winter.) In the summer it's usually pretty quite and the 10pm quite time, which meant voices down not a huge fire and no music, I allowed an outdoor movie if I was a large group and noise wasnt a nuisance to other campers. It was left to my discretion. Most party campers are only weekenders so weekdays are the best time for nature as well as quiet time. I dont really know about prices but I believe you can check USFS website for more details. The water temp varies is there snow run off? Is it raining or has it in the last 3 days? I found the best time to swim is later in the summer or go down the road to another lake for the day to swim. Fishing was best when the water was cold and slowed when it got too warm. Yes this is one thing I will say the large generator that is run at store was a problem and I've heard they are working on rebuilding so that may still be an issue but after the first 3 days it's not so bad plus I found that some campsites aren't as bad as others and you can barely hear it. Tent sites are even further away from the noise. Remember there are predators in the area; mountain lions, black bear, brown bear( I think however I've never seen one) Bobcats, eagles, falcons, owls. So keep children and small animals close, Watch out because the scavengers up there are very sneaky, raccoons, ravens and even the tree squirrels will steal unattended food as well as draw the bears and mountain lions closer so make sure all food is properly disposed of and stored correctly. Dont just lock it in your car, glass wont stop a bear( look it up on youtube) Remember if you pack it in, make sure to pack it out. Before you leave make sure your fire is completely out. Soak with water, stir, soak, stir, soak. If you can hold your hand over it and not feel any heat then you can leave other wise keep soak and stir. At the time I was in a motor home and was a green horn RVer and made many mistakes and had no idea what I was doing. Nor had i been shown how everything really worked. If you have an rv or travel trailer you can apply for a camp host position single or couple it doesnt matter no rent and pay on top of that. Make sure you bring what you need though there is a few stores down the road its roughly a 30- 45 min drive so double for round trip. There are several water filling stations on the way there( one was a mile sb108 at the forrest station) those are free but the dump stations I believe are all $10.00. If open, can be a line on busier weekends and holidays there are toilets at the campgrounds they are all vault toilets and were cleaned and stocked daily ( unsure if still being done).

I will definitely being returning over and over and F.Y.I If this campground is full their are about 6 more in the area plus a hike in site that's really great.

Small but quiet

Stayed here over and in this area for several years. The sites are good for small camper and more so tents. I believe there are only 10 sites total. No water and only a pit toilet. Plenty of forest service roads to Explorer.

Lovely views, big sites

Each campsite (in Loop A) is large and spacious and the views are epic. It’s March and we are one of maybe 5 campers.

Great for Groups

The campsites are spread out nicely so you have a lot of privacy. Some of the sites are huge! We staying in one for 7 days with a large group of 12-14 people- it never felt crowed. There are various footpaths that lead down to the water and you can easily set up your typical boat beach camps. Review the site map for access.

A great place to stay if you love to paddle board, swim, kayak, canoe, jet ski, etc.

Great views at the campground and lots of hiking trails nearby- including one that leads to a waterfall.

Lake Tahoe Gem

We absolutely love this campground. Nestled along the shores of Lake Tahoe, this is an amazing campground. We love the proximity to all things the lake has to offer. Clean, friendly and cozy.

Winter Wonderland !!

We had a great time at this winter paradise!! South Lake Tahoe had gotten 20 inches of snow in the 14 days prior to our arrival, then got four more inches while we were there. Practice your backing up, the plowed snow made some of the pull through sites back in only!! The huge, beautiful trees made for some additional obstacles. The best part of our stay was the assistance we received from TERRY in changing sites and getting set up. The campground is close enough to all the activities in South Lake Tahoe. The plowed snow and ice made walking through the campground very difficult, but there wasn’t anyplace else you could put it. The dog park was great!! When you’re traveling with a Great Dane and Australian Shepard, that’s a big deal!! We’ll stay here again…maybe in the summer!!

Great and Re-done for 2021

Great campground but redone at the end of the 2020 season. They now have back in sites for RV's with different lengths. Check the website closely to make sure you fit!

Dissapointed

It was closed…..

Wild West

Great little campground

Quiet

All dirt campground along side a quick moving river. Not as crowded as some of the other campgrounds in the area but not particularly secluded either. Plenty of room for our pop-up and two large dogs.