THE BEST CAMPING IN
Nevada
Camping Nevada

Leave the glitz and glam of the Las Vegas Strip behind and come camping in Nevada. Explore the petroglyphs and ancient cultures at the Valley of Fire State Park or relax in the high alpine along the eastern shores of Lake Tahoe. With over 80% of the state dedicated as public lands, there’s an adventure for everyone.

For some of the best camping in Nevada, head to Pyramid Lake. Located just 40 miles outside of Reno, the lake offers a variety of camping and recreation options. Keep in mind that the lake is located on the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe's Reservation. In order to camp here, you’ll need to obtain a permit first. Enjoy dispersed camping along the water’s edge. Don’t forget to bring your boat, SUP or kayak and cool off in the lake, be sure to check out the Pyramid Rock island and see how this awesome spot got its name.

The Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada’s largest state park, contains over 40,000 acres of stunning red rock formations peppered with ancient ruins and native artifacts left behind by the Ancient Puebloan People. Admire petroglyphs, climb the red rocks and uncover another world in this Mars-like landscape. Due to the sweltering summer temps, the Valley of Fire State Park offers perfect place for winter camping in Nevada.

Looking to climb a mountain? Consider hiking to the top of Mount Rose in the Lake Tahoe Basin. Although this area is quite popular and crowded during the summer months, it’s well-worth a trip to this sapphire, high-alpine oasis. Various camping options are available.

Located just outside of Las Vegas, Lake Mead is one of Nevada’s premier outdoor recreation areas. If you’re tired of the crowds, consider hiking up Black Mountain. This lesser-known trail can be done in a day and there is plenty of camping at nearby Lake Mead.

If you’re a national park lover, you’ve got to check out the quiet scenery at the Great Basin National Park. Dramatic mountain ridges meet sagebrush valleys at this little-visited park. Plenty of wildlife and excellent camp spots await you. With so many lakes, deserts and mountains, there are endless possibilities for Nevada camping. No matter where you choose to go in this great state, The Dyrt is here to help you find the perfect perch to pitch a tent.

Recent Reviews in Nevada
Nice place

The other reviews pretty much cover the high points. But, since we pull a big 5th wheel I'll add some big rig details. We tow a 40' 5W with a 4x4 dually. It's a little over 4 miles on a dirt road to get to the beach. We had no idea how often the road is graded or when it was last graded. We dropped the 5W in the huge RV parking lot between Aquarius and Riverside Casinos. It is conveniently located directly across the street from Riverside RV Park, where water is free, dump is $10.

We are on the road full time and our rig is our only home. So, even if it's free and beautiful we won't risk damaging our rig. As of the time of this review, the road in was not a big deal. If you have a big rig but no 4x4 you might want to check it out first, although there is a huge toy hauler here now being towed by a 2WD truck. There are a few rather steep-ish hills when you're leaving, but nothing even remotely resembling "hair pin turns." Just take it slow.

There's a seven day limit, but we didn't see any sign of anyone actually tracking it. If you have a choice, don't park near the dumpster. Flys and the smell were an issue in the first spot we picked. When a "clan" moved in next door (four generations, ten tents, kids and dogs) we were lucky enough to be able to move farther to the left side of the cove. As other reviewers mentioned, that is where there is a fairly good Verizon signal. 17.1 mbps download, 2.22 mbps upload on a weekday morning.

It does get busy on the weekend but it was not unreasonable while we were there. A neighbor was there two weekends earlier and said there was a large group making a lot of noise late into the night. Apparently there were complaints and the police rousted them the next morning. So it can be hit or miss. But on the weekdays it was a really lovely spot.

We've never been to the area before and were surprised how much the area has to offer. In Laughlin there are numerous casinos, a large entertainment venue (Brad Paisley and Toby Keith are upcoming celebrities), movie theaters. Security Postal Systems in Bull Head City offers $5 package pickup. There's also a Home Depot, Lowes, and Super Walmart. Grapevine Canyon, off Christmas Tree Pass, is lovely and has tons of petroglyphs. Walking trails in Laughlin lead to nice overlooks of the dam. There is also some nice hiking right from the cove.

It's an ok place

We made reservations for this park 6 months in advance, for an event at the casino. We were issued a campsite number when we made our reservation. Some friends also made reservation and reserved a campsite right next to us. When we checked in, we were given a different campsite. When I asked why, I was told that a campsite is not guaranteed and campsites are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Why even give a campsite number then? Since that was the case, I asked if I could then choose my own campsite, I was told no. I'm sorry, but this is not a TRUE first-come, first-served system then. The site they gave us was shallow, even though I told them I had a 40' rig when I made our reservation. Our friends were not given a site next to us as promised. Our site was directly in front of the casino's main maintenance yard. The service entrance for that yard was literally four feet from our street-side slideout. There was a constant parade of service vehicles speeding by us, which all started at 6:30AM. The speed limit in the park is 5 MPH, but this apparently doesn't apply to the maintenance yard employees, who drove around at 20-25 MPH. We clearly heard machine shop equipment from inside our coach, beginning at 7:00AM. Now the good: most of the back-in campsites are fairly large. A shuttle comes around every 15 minutes to provide transportation to/from the casino. The campsite hookup's were well organized. The park offers a cable TV connection, but we didn't use it. The park has WiFi, but it was too weak from our campsite to be of any value. The restrooms were exceptionally clean. This rating would be much higher if the park's reservations system made any sense and the employees drove through the park at a safe speed. This place definitely needs a new manager. I would stay here again, but I would not accept the same campsite, which was 498. I would stay away from any campsite between 495 & 505, because of the close proximity of the maintenance yard. We camped at Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort RV Park in a Motorhome.

Loved this Park! It’s a come-back.

Very nice and clean park. The older side arranged in semi circles has larger spaces, but the newer side is really nice. We ha a pull through with full hookups. The staff is very friendly, and on arrival we were escorted to our space. Very nice showers and laundry houses - the showers are individually lockable. My only complaint was that the electrical pedestal was very low making my surge protector lay on the ground, and the night time security lights are way too bright. But yes, we would happily stay again.

Successful camping trip

Nice site. Easy in and out. Close to the water. Store employees and park host nice and friendly. Pet friendly park. July camping is a little extreme. But spend the day by the lake and leave a/c running in trailer and you are good to good.

Great local campground!

I live in Reno and this campground is a nearby escape from the hustle and bustle of Reno. Great hiking opportunities for the dog and peaceful sunsets by a campfire. A super, close spot to take the teardrop any time of the year.

Beach view

No full hook up,fire pit,close to braxh dpot 52

No vintage Airstreams

Would have loved to stay here but they only take 2000 and above travel trailers. We have a 1967 Airstream. 😢

Beach view

No full hook up,fire pit,close to braxh dpot 52

Great place

I wanted to stop here and see this Nevada state recreation area.  There is a fee but I have an annual pass.  I have ridden the Colorado from Laughlin to Lake Havasu City in a jet boat and I wanted to experience this area from the shore.

Beyond the fee booth, there are three options.  At the stop sign, a turn to the right will take you to a sandy beach area which would be a great place in July but not on a very windy December day.

To the left at the stop sign is a road to a picnic area.  Finally, straight ahead brings you to the scenic overlook.  It is somewhat of a big bend but nothing like Horseshoe Bend far north of here.

It was pleasant enjoying the sunshine and the blue sky even though there was a lot of wind.  The river is always a great sight especially when one lives in the desert 45 miles from the river.

This would be a good family day spot in the summer.

Nice place

My review encompasses both the KOA and the Avi Casino/Hotel, as the Casino/Hotel is a Significant part of the KOA experience here.

Yes, the KOA is dusty and hot. You're in the middle of the friggin Mojave Desert. Staff keep it very clean. It's quiet. People are exaggerating the fireworks. In the Summer, I'd avoid the whole area completely. I have a great A/C in my 33' Winnebago, but it couldn't defeat 122f. If you're forced to stay in the area, this place is a great value for the dollar in comparison to the other local RV places. But if you don't NEED to stay here in the summer, I'd keep driving.

The Hotel part: not so great. Casinos in Vegas haven't smelled this bad since the early 90's. Get with the times, Indians. The restaurants are low quality. Roaches are common. The pool is nicely designed, but overcrowded on weekends. The river beach is a nice touch, though. The movies were expensive. The movie staff were VERY nice, but slow as molasses in January. The valet staff at the hotel will drive you to/from the Avi and they are very courteous. Kind of hard to get them on the phone from the KOA, but once you do they are very quick

All in all, I'd call it a "B-"

I've seen worse, and I've seen better, but all in all, a good experience.

The Best Place to Camp at Tahoe

Always enjoy our time here. Campsites are wide and the place is clean and well cared for by staff. Close to shopping and beach. Bathrooms are clean with pay showers.

Closed

We were up there at the gate last Sunday 7/7/19 And the campsite was closed down the road look like no one had been on it, the website does not show it as being closed.

Breathtaking

Despite being adjacent to the highway, it is a quiet campground at night. Love the walk to the beach and seeing those dragonflies. We will definitely come back because Mineral County has so much history.

Nice place

my RV n travel trailer ppl there are NOT many options to stay when you come to Las Vegas that are safe resort style but here are two gems I highly recommend.. Desert sands RV resort on Boulder and sunset ..it has just been took under new management/ownership  and bathrooms showers pool have all been remodeled looks fabulous also dog parks WiFi great location great price same goes for the Riviera RV resort also on boulder also newly remodeled great prices they Have awesome dog parks beautiful views super friendly if you're coming to Vegas with your RV or trailer I highly suggest you check out these 2

Decent place

$18/night FHU for first 3 nights and $22/night after that. They do have weekly and monthly rates. Although sites are small, 75% of them are pull throughs at same price as back ins. CASH only. No credit cards.

Park felt safe and secure. No seedy characters. Had plenty of long term people but seemed like people from construction who came home from work and were quiet at night.

Nice laundry room and showers. Pet friendly at NO extra charge.

Overall for our needs it was close to places we needed to go and two casinos nearby and also the Longhorn Casino for old small town vegas feeling.

Would have given them 5 stars but no wifi.

Front office (Cookie) was not exactly warm and friendly but she was professional. Manager was a lot nicer.

Great place

I was a little unsure after reading some other reviews about this location, but we have found it to be an absolutely lovely spot. We camped right on the lake front at the end of the road. Probably not possible for a larger rig as the road is quite Sandy and steep, but perfect for us. The weather was idealic everyday. Mid 80's during the day and high 50's at night. We saw people daily come down to fish and a few campers, but everyone was quiet and respectful, although some did not pick their trash up which is always sad to see. There are a couple dumpsters on the road coming in, so really no excuse. We enjoyed lots of wildlife while staying here! So many ducks, some herons, storks, hawks and roadrunners. We have also seen and heard coyotes almost every day, but they have kept their distance and seemed wary of us. I would recommend locking up garage overnight however. Verizon and ATT both have great signal. 4 bars at an average of 35 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up

Beautiful place to picnic and hike

Such a short drive from Vegas & not many places you can leave triple digit temps in the valley to go hiking in a tank top & wish you had brought gloves when you're sticking your fingers in snow to scramble up to the cave by the waterfall. How have I not come here before? This was a great hike this year with our cold May weather to keep snow around even in June. I need to come back to Mount Charleston more often since I am a waterfall junkie.  A bit steep, hiking pole could come in handy but otherwise an easy to find and enjoy hike

We turned around

We drove the 10 miles up the dirt road to these sites. The cows were the only grounds keepers. The main site across the creek from the one latrine we saw had too much water flowing through it to be able to drive over it.

Not to bad

Ok place. Near a lake and a casino. Dirty showers, no laundry and terrible WiFi.

Beautiful scenery

Stayed here back in 2009 at Thanksgiving time. I cannot remember the site number but it was on the far right end and I believe generator free loop. It was very quiet and peaceful and I enjoyed the smell of the huge eucalyptus trees and feeding the doves and quail when they flew in at dusk. Got bird feed at WalMart. The restrooms were very clean as was the campground and the host was very friendly. WalMart was an easy drive of about 20 minutes to Henderson and also a Chase bank ATM in the same lot. Will be heading back that way. this winter with a new 12 foot kayak to explore the lake as well as the Colorado River downstream of the dam. Also want to check out the Callville Campground which looks very nice and I think it has a basic store on site. Saw some coyotes in the washes and also sunning themselves over on the boat ramp parking area. I walked very close to them and they never moved an inch. Happy camping!

Friendly and supportive

Fully hook ups and completely understanding when we had to leave early! Nice quiet park with great laundry and pool amenities!

Great place

If you're a mountain bike rider or a hiker, this is one of the places to start your journey.  Several years ago, the parking area was redone.  It now has two parking areas--one on the east side for horse trailers and over-sized vehicles--and regular vehicle parking on the west side.  There's also restroom facilities on the west side.  The parking lot has some nice interpretive signs explaining when this area was used by wagons as part of the Santa Fe Trail.

I came here to do a hike for a quarterly hiking article I write and to see if the hike was something our group might want to do.  The trails are fairly well marked but if you're just exploring it might be good to have a GPS unit with you so you can get back to the car.

There are approximately 140 miles of trail that can be used by mountain bikers, hikers, and horse riders.  There is signage that's relatively new for the main trails.  The other side trails have small wooden signs at almost ground level and since there are so many, you might want to check the Cottonwood Valley mountain bike trails website before going.

As a starting spot for you outdoor adventure, the Late Night Trailhead is great!

Beautiful place

Red Rock Canyon is a gem just west of Las Vegas on State Route 159 (SR159) or West Charleston Blvd. The 13 mile scenic loop is inside a fee area, so expect to pay to enter. If you possess a valid National Park Access card, it will work for RRC. State passes are not valid for entry. The variety of colors is the most striking aspect of this area. The scenic loop is one-way, so you don't have to worry about opposite direction traffic EXCEPT for runners and walkers and the occasional bicyclist. Speaking of cyclist, this is a very popular riding route so don't be surprised to see lots and lots of them. When driving, take your time and stop only in designated areas. There's plenty to see, so get out and explore. CAUTIONS: Summer temps easily exceed 100 degrees and often above 110F, so go early and bring plenty of water. The speed limit is 35 MPH and 25 MPH is some areas. This is enforced and warning are not usually given. Go early, the scenic loop is often closed on weekends by mid-morning due to over crowding.

Nice place

Every time I come here the campgrounds seem to have more amenities. There are more covered awnings over the picnic tables(although there are many sites that  are  still uncovered) and now there are little wooden benches around the fire pits of each campsite.

The pit toilet restrooms have solar panels on top so they power bright white lights inside that help you see in the dark night. Pretty fancy stuff for a bare boneseque campground. You should check out the camp host's solar set up. Impressive!

There is running water outside the bathrooms to fill up if you run low and your phone will get cell reception in certain areas. At night you can see the Luxor's beam of light shooting high up in the Vegas sky from the campgrounds which is kind of a comforting in a strange way. Nice to know that if you want to party with the people it's a short drive away.

The close proximity of the fancy schmancy Albertsons which offers decent pre-made sushi and a large selection of craft beers makes campground meals pretty posh when you can easily make a run for steaks or salmon to grill up for dinner.

$15 a night. 2 cars per campsite and as many tents as you can fit into your tiny little plot. As this campground tends to cater to climbers you will often see up to 5 tents crammed into one site. People from all over the world come here to camp and climb. Ive met many people from  New Zealand,Japan, Germany, Switzerland, France and Canada. During shoulder season the campgrounds seem to be completely taken over by Banff Canadians. Good thing Canadians are friendly as we've asked to share a site of some strangers but now friends because the campgrounds were full.  They let us squeeze one more tent on their site.

Great place for camping

Good offroad campground. Very nice sights around. Definitely need a high clearance vehicle probably with 4x4 but the trail isn't too hard overall. We got stopped on the way back the the 15 but it was because the rain previously messed up the road so we had to turn around back to the 95 freeway. Still totally worth it. I would say it takes about a day to do the mormon well trail from one end to the other but that's with stops and eating as well. The campground is amazing and we are definitely going back to camp. It's very close to vegas overall and still the sky is amazing at night and super quiet like vegas isn't even there. There is a bathroom. No running water so bring some to spare.

Nice RV park

Clean and affordable.

Great community campground

This is one of those campgrounds that attracts both adventurous hikers eager to clamber up Slide Mountain as well as local families and community leaders. It’s a great stop over on a trip through the eastern Sierra.

Baker creek, June, 2019

We loved this park, Great Basin National Park and all the hikes were amazing. The campground was beautiful but our particular campsite #5 was not the best. The place to set up our tent was very small and sloping down. It was so windy that our tent would have blown away had we not tied it to the tree. No showers, no flush toilets, but clean. Picnic table and fire ring were good.

Who knew...

Beautiful National Park that I’m glad I finally took the time to stay at. Got the last spot on a Tuesday, perfect pull through next to the creek. Which by the way was awesome to sleep and listen to. The stars are amazing. Nice peaceful Camp ground plenty of privacy. Clean vault toilets and water that had a boil warning. Unfortunately snow prevented us from seeing the Bristlecone Pines-they asked us not to hike without proper footing. Just another reason to return. Out of the way destination but well worth it.

Not in RV park but on the lake

Beautiful $15 permit and you find your own spot. You can be as faraway or as close to other campers as you want. No hookups or services but the water is perfect for swimming,fishing or boating. Bonus…..4th of July fireworks are permitted and the reservation sales awesome ones.( we are just observers)