Eldorado National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Eldorado National Forest Camping Reviews
Sierra Campground

Sierra Campground off the beatin path. Full hook ups in summer. Closed in winter. Tall pines block satellite feeds. Spotty Cell service. Daily, weekly, monthly rates. Lots of trees dropped due to bark beetle. Pool, group camping, ball fields, disc golf

Fairgrounds camping

Grassy full hook up sites in Sonora Ca. At the junction of Hwy49  the “Chain of Gold” and 108 outside Yosemite National Park. Daily/weekly rates. Short walk to downtown in this 1850’s mining town.

Dirtbikes welcome

I've been here many times with just my truck and there are a few offroad 4xr trails near this camp spot. But I have seen alot of people with OHV venturing off into the woods.

Close to civilization yet secluded enough to feel like camping

Just a short drive from Sacramento up the hill. The front half of the lake is sometimes quite close quarters full of large RVs and campers. Large day use areas for a quick boat around the lake and fishing. The real gems are further back into the campground where if you plan it right you can talk to nobody except your camp host. The small portion of the lake with no wake is ideal for kayaking, canoeing and fishing has been good to excellent near the water fall. A nice easy hike will take you around the entire lake if you let it.

We call this place our church

My wife and daughter and I have come here for the past ten years. We love it. The river is beautiful and loud and the fishing is great. Some nice swimming holes too.

There’s men’s and women’s showers toward the entrance which was the only way I could sell the place to my wife.

It’s run by members of the local Miwuk tribe. Charlie kept the place immaculate and is a really nice guy. BUT…Last time I went, (2017?) he was replaced by a guy who looked and acted pretty sketch and looked like he did a lot of meth. Not surprisingly, the showers were filthy.

That aside, the area is stunning, the swimming is fun and I’ve taken a few trout out of the river.

Almost full even in bad weather!

Arrived around 5pm on a Tuesday the last day of April and even though the weather is crappy (low 40’s with intermittent rain/snow and a freeze warning), there were only a few spots left. Surprised to see several tent campers. As other reviews have pointed out, only the B Loop is open; the A loop is going to have electric (and water?) installed but no completion date was indicated. Would have been nice to have electric on these cold nights so we could plug in our portable heater. I think when Loop A is completed, it will be the nicer of the two - farther from the road and with aforementioned amenities. First Nevada State Park we’ve been to with flush toilets (but no soap and they could use a little maintenance work - some faucets missing and one toilet took extreme muscle to flush. I also felt like Goldilocks - one toilet was so low, I was squatting and another was so high, I had to hoist myself up!) Sites all looked level and most were back-in (even the handicapped ones) but ours (33) was a “pull-through”. All sites have a picnic table and fire ring but only some have shelters over the tables (a must on hot summer days). Very quiet in Site 33. I didn’t hear road noise some mentioned but those closer to the road might hear more. I can only imagine it would be a completely different scenario in the summer when people come to enjoy the lake. I would definitely recommend walking to the lake in the morning for nice reflection shots.

Placerville KOA

Have stayed here several times. Has been run down in the past but seems to be improving on our last visit a couple of weeks ago. Clean restrooms and cable and Wifi have been improved. Is very noisy near the 50 freeway, not much you can do about that.

Incredible Experience

Running water and out houses at this beautiful campground along the river. Many trails start here and there is a brand new foot bridge right at the campground to help you cross the river.

Located in one of the oldest settled Valleys in Nevada

If you like Bird Watching (or wildlife in general), Boating, Fishing, Hang Gliding, Paragliding, Equestrian Activities, Camping or BBQ's, or even history, then this is a place you might enjoy.

The lake and the surrounding area takes on a different appearance depending on the season you visit, and whether it's been a wet year or a dry one. Sometimes when it has been extremely dry, the larger of the 2 lakes dries up either partially or entirely, leaving the smaller one as a valuable water source for Wild Mustangs who live in the area. (which is a great opportunity for photographers).

When the larger lake bed dries up a little, it extends the hang gliding / paragliding landing zone. (take off point is up on the hill on Eastlake Blvd, which is also a good view point of the lakes).

During the wetter years, the larger lake fills up, allowing water activities such as boating to take place on both lakes, and provides you with the opportunity to bird watch at any of the wildlife viewing areas provided. The smaller lake also provides bird watching opportunities (Osprey and other birds of prey like to fish there) You can also fish at the smaller lake, just don't eat them, the area was once used for the processing mills during the mining boom.

Also if you are into wildlife, there is the occasional coyote hunting the area, owls, hawks, bald eagles, and if you want to see deer, take a little drive up Eastlake Blvd towards little Washoe Lake, and one of the fields on the right often has huge herds of Mule Deer, and the occasional wild horse. Talking of Wild horses, you are requested not to feed or harass the wild Mustangs anywhere in Nevada (Washoe lake park included). Horses can be defensive, especially when they have young foals. Also feeding them anything other than what they naturally eat in the wild, not only causes a high number of deaths in the herds, it also creates dangerous situations on the roadways when horses come to retrieve the food. (it can also cost you thousands of dollars in fines) There are people who regularly monitor the interaction visitors have with the horses. But if you want to interact with a horse, why not bring your own for a ride around too, people often bring their horses down for a trot around the grounds.

There are restrooms available throughout the park, and facilities for camping. It is a good place for dogs, though it is requested that you clean up after them. There are doggie clean up stations available, and containers for waste.

The land the park sits on was once owned by one of Nevada's wealthiest men Theodore Winters, who was a prominent businessman and politician in early Nevada history. He once owned some of the most famous racehorses in the world, and his cheese was world renown. His Ranch is still around, and you can find it located just on the other side of the lake (Old Route 395), not far from the Chocolate Nugget Candy Factory (which is great if you get a hankering for something sweet), and Old Washoe City.

The lake's history goes back even further than that, the area was once inhabited by the local tribes people, and before the early pioneer's came and settled here, they used hunt ducks on the lake, and fished here. There is probably still the odd chance you might come across old Native tools and arrowheads, but the State of Nevada does ask you to leave artifacts where they are found. Check the local and federal laws before attempting to remove anything.

It has some lovely sunsets here, the view can be spectacular at times and changes according to season and weather, and the wildlife seem to enjoy it. Nice place to go and hang out with family and friends, and if you happen to forget to bring anything, you are only a little drive from Carson City :)

Great Off Season

We stayed at the lake for one night, mid-week, off season. We were only one of a few handful of RVs in the RV section of the campground. I could imagine it being a loud party-scene in the summer. But in the early spring, it was full of bird songs and a gorgeous sunset. Decent cell service, no wifi.

Great Off Season

Nice and Clean

This is a nice retreat. The spaces are a bit small but clean. The bathrooms are spotless and they offer a lot of amenities for families. We are two single adults and to no fault of their own there was a lot of children running around, riding bikes and it seemed like everyone had a dog. But at 10:00pm it did get very quiet. So, it’s a great place for families.

Incredible on all accounts!

The fields and trails that are near this campground are phenomenal. It's a short (but steep) hike down to the Giant Sequoia Grove. The bathrooms are not maintains outside of the season and watch out for black widows in the corners of the bathrooms.

There are yurts and information stations about the fields and local flora and fauna! The rangers are incredibly helpful and sweet!

Gorgeous

Very family friendly with stunning views

Super RV Park

I would stay here again and again. The tent sites have a large covered area for shade and the park has a pool for a refreshing little swim. Showers are included with the campground fee.

Great little lake!!

We take our Kayaks and spend the day on the lake. It gets choppy in the afternoon so be aware. The campgrounds are set among huge boulders and can be very private. There are bears but they seem to keep to themselves but don’t temp with unstored food. Tables, bear lockers,fire rings are at all campsites. Trailers and RV are mostly kept to the boat launch. Closed from October till May

No one around

Rolled in with no reservations and not a clue as to camp for the night in my van. All campgrounds were closed but I found a little spot to park for the night right on the lake. Set up camp, did some fishing and cooked up dinner. My best friend and I fished this lake 30 years ago…Good memories

beautiful campground

This campground was one of the nicest I've come across. It's right on the California-nevada state line near Lake Tahoe. In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful places in the US. A lot of the campsites have a view of the lake. They have sites for tents and RVs. The bathrooms are nice and there's fresh drinking water. There are some public grills to use. Really nice amenities at this place.

I personally just love lake Tahoe. Amazing hiking around the lake. Mount Tallac is a killer but gorgeous hike. Go stand on the line between Nevada and California like I did! In the winter this place is awesome too, because the ski resort has some great runs.

A Beautiful Treasure

This is by far one of my absolute favorite campgrounds in the Northern California area I have been coming here since I was a child. I love to camp here the prices are a bit high for camping, but handicapped discounts can be obtained. My mother has used the disabled pass for years giving quite the discount its very much appreciated to those who dont get to wake up in good health every day and thankfully get a little bit of a break on the price. I use to shower and camp here alot honestly even when I was homeless. The showers take quarters and have hot water most of the time. The showers are very big its actually quite peaceful and nice.The shower rooms have very high ceilings with thicker glass windows way up high as well. Almost like a spa experience if you ask me. Although i did get hit with a cold shower one time here during the winter. Quite unpleasant haha. Another fun fact is the big sinks outside the showers usually have little frogs in them. There is also quite a large squirrel population, which the campgrounds ask you not to feed, because the population will get even bigger upsetting the balance of everything there. Plus our foods arent good for their teeth or overall health anyways. The lake itself is beautiful! If not camping overnight i love to get a day pass and just hang out on the beach! Its a great family friendly area. I suggest staying on the main beach with the provided lifejacket area if with children as the other rock areas near the beach suddenly can drop off underwater very deep. Before i was a mother i would camp and swim out here for weeks during the summer. There wasnt alot of people and im very happy to say not a party area thankfully this makes the campgrounds so much more enjoyable. I litterly was given a waring ticket one time here because a helicopter spotted me with a mikes hard lemonade when i was 25 which was then followed by rangers driving up to me on the beach. Annoying but totally understandable now as I am older i understand. And like i said way nicer without all the partys or party people and garbage etc you can actually relax and enjoy nature here now. Plus its much more safer. And obviously no one should be drinking and swimming or operating a boat as a few summers ago some men died drinking and driving a watercraft after being knocked unconscious when the boat crashed and drowning Very tragic and unfortunate and sad. The lake is very beautiful my grandmother said during her divorce to her husband that passed away from cancer she would come to the lake during the day and just watch the lake from the beach. Its also fun to explore during the dry months when the lake recedes you can find rocks and driftwood etc. Shells. One more tip. I did one summer go collecting wood for a fire and not knowing that poison ivy was common in this campgrounds ended up unknowingly collecting alot of it setting it in the fire pit and the combination of the poison ivy branches and smoke covered my entire body in a very itchy painful rash for a couple weeks i would not wish that on anyone i had to be put on medication at the er. But overall i would say this campgrounds is by far one of the nicest ive ever been too. And the lake access area makes it so much nicer. Also the safeway and jack in the box are relatively close to the campgrounds just a quick trip dpwn the road.

Best Campground For Kids!

We love camping but we had never camped with our kids. We decided to go to Calaveras Big Trees and camp with our two kids plus our friends kids which in total equaled seven. We thought we were crazy to go into the woods with a ton of kids. It was actually really fun and we enjoyed every little bit of it.

The first day was fun and the kids ran around all over the place. We did learn that they can't jump off the walking bridge because there is a small marsh and they were soaked up to their ankles. But it was a great learning experience for them. Explore but we a little cautious.

That first night was also very cold and we discovered we didn't bring enough warm blankets. We did have to go to town and buy an extra warm blanket. After the trip we made sure to buy some extra warm sleeping bags too. We made sure to rent two big spots so we can have enough room for everyone. The kids played volleyball at one site and we sat nearby so we can play games. It was nice to have the kids right next door but far enough so they can explore. They even built their own tee pee out of logs and covered it in pine cones. It made me think of Lord of the Flies as they worked together and sometimes fought. They settled everything and worked it out in the end.

Overall it was a great trip and we all enjoyed our walk through the Calaveras Big Trees. It was so fun and exciting. Our kids loved adventuring on their own with a bit of supervision here and there from one or more of the parents. Overall it was an amazing trip. We had a lot of fun.

Probably the quietest RV spot i have been to

Coin operated shower very nice and clean bathroom clean showers.

Folsom lake Rv spot

Very quite camping spot very clean.coin operated showers😭 lake is very close by.

Amazing campground with hiking

We were here during the off season in early March, it was cold, but the campsite was comfortable with all the leaves on the ground. The bathrooms were fine, nothing spectacular. The real draw for this campground are the hiking trails that crisscross nearby and that lead you to the Chawse Native American cultural/historical area. They have rebuilt Native American style dwellings and have placards to explain how the native Americans would grind the acorns to make a meal for their food. All in all a great spot to stop.

Family friendly

Very pleased with the accommodation and everything availableo

A campground centrally located in South Lake Tahoe

I was surprised when I heard of this campground. A city run campground across the street from the lake in the middle of town? Sure! We had a site in one of the two loops that had full hook-ups, and our site backed up to US 50. I was prepared for a lot of road noise and even strangers wandering through our camp but neither was a nuisance. Sites were spacious. We loved seeing the lake from our campsite and hitting the bike trail right outside the campground. There was also a nice city pool, library, and playground in walking distance.

Serene and very beautiful!

No running water but the campground has great views of the lake! There are 2 site that are tucked away further down the road that are really secluded if that is your thing. Took a day trip to Alpine lake to swim. Beware of the elevation - didn't realize how far up we were!

Everything you need

As disc golfers, of course we love camping here, having 3 courses to choose from. But there is something for everyone in the family here, there is amazing fishing, boating and swimming. The campsites are mostly level with a shared water source every site or two. Restrooms are basic and clean, no shower. There were plenty of campsites to choose from this weekend, but in summer we’ve needed reservations. The wildlife is RIGHT THERE! We saw a tarantula near the tee box on 2. I woke up with 4 deer casually strolling through our campsite, a huge group of turkeys were cruising around the whole weekend.

love lake tahoe

Lake tahoe is one of the most beautiful place in California. There are plenty of state parks and campsites around the lake, but D.L. Bliss is one of my favorite. Its nestled right on the lake, but some of the campsites are a little further back away from it. My favorite part about this campground is that it was pretty quite when I went. Not a whole lot of people there. The sites are a little small, but very nice. The beaches are great too and secluded.

The campground has all the amenities you could need. Hot showers, clean drinking water, nice bathrooms, firewood for sale, picnic tables. There are hiking trails right near the campground and, of course, the beach. There's also tons to do right around the lake. Scuba diving, biking trails, hiking trails, kayaking, whatever you can think of really.

My favorite hike in near Lake Tahoe is defiantly Mount Tallac. If you decide do to this hike, be prepared. Its about 10ish miles, pretty strenuous, and some of the trail can be covered with snow depending on the time of year.

Also, make sure to always store your food in bear safe containers. The bears can get pretty active around here depending on the time of year.

Great all around campground for RVers and tent camping

One of the largest and nicest campground for RVers and Tent campers combined. Helpful staff, and park rangers on site. Activities planned each day. Close walk to Lake Tahoe and restaurants

Excellent lake access, beautiful, spacious campgrounds

Lots of space to spread out under the trees, easy lake access from all campgrounds, great for boating if that’s what you’re into, could be a drawback if you’re a long distance swimmer as there are lots of boats.