Eldorado National Forest, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Eldorado National Forest
Most Recent Eldorado National Forest Camping Reviews
Alpine Lakes

This is a great glimpse at what the High Sierra lakes further south look like… but better. Dispersed camp sites all over. (Make sure to follow signs and camp appropriately distanced from the lakes)

Beautiful and peaceful

For beauty and solitude alone this is a five star spot. Follow the dirt road into the little valley and soon a beautiful meadow opens up ahead with a small creek running through. Sites are located along the meadow and around a loop in the back portion of the campground where there’s a trail head into the wilderness. Camping here requires some planning ahead as there is no potable water available and only pit toilets but the trade off is the incredible scenery and peaceful surroundings. Keep your eyes open for horses and cattle!

Popular summer spot

Some great variety in this campground which includes walk in tent only sites! It’s a well laid out campground, tent only spots up front ( near the camp host and showers) and a loop around the back with some well separated sites just above the river.
Years ago this spot was a nice little secret but now it’s often packed and can get quite noisy, especially on the weekends.

Beautiful but crowded

Great family campground but if your in search of solitude this is not the spot. Situated across from the campground is the day use area which is very popular and noisy.
Facilities are clean and the campground is beautiful, great walking path too!

Closed Off Season

They are open end of May until October 1.

Not open off season

The open season is not listed on their website, but I can confirm the campground is closed in November.

Nice and quiet and beautiful under the moonlight

We came here because Dardanelle was closed down and we are absolutely grateful for that. This quiet piece of gem sits next to the river which shone so beautiful under the silky moonlight. It is clean and well maintained.

Great place

Beautiful place in the middle of pines. Spots are big, sanitary are clean. Hot showers, drinkin water, no place for dish. Calm and you can see bears!! Hosts are very kind.

Especially Beautiful

Fallen Leaf Lake and its campground were really beautiful and felt remote despite being pretty close to the development of South Lake Tahoe. Our spot (84) was not very private or great for a tent, but it worked for our overnight. The bath house was nice and new/clean. The hosts were super super friendly, but they called it a day pretty early (5?) so we missed out on buying firewood onsite. They did warn us about bears in such an admiring way, it was really sweet. However, we didn't see any bears, just poo about 20 feet from our tent (!). Fire ring, giant table, bear box, water, all as expected.

The lake itself is stunning. Seriously. Dusk was perfectly still and calm, but early morning was also beautiful. Would absolutely stay or visit here again.

Great for anglers!

We camped at Spicer on Labor Day weekend with our 28’ toy hauler (no OHV allowed on site). The campsites have a variety of trees/rocks and many are fairly private. We got one close to the walking trail down to the lake, which took just a couple minutes. The lake is nice but better for fishing than swimming/paddle boarding/kayaking. We did find swimming at the river leading to the lake, and it was only a short hike down. Utica is also a quick 10-15 minute drive and perfect for the activities mentioned.

The camp hosts were pleasant and helpful. The vault toilet bathrooms were clean. No reservations (except group camp, I think), hookups, or America The Beautiful pass discounts (but they do take Golden Age). There is AT&T cell service down by the lake. At the time (early September), there were a lot of bees and we saw some fresh bear poop right behind one of the sites.

Best campsite to be at away from the city

This campsite is quiet and peaceful. The person who is in charge was very welcoming. I enjoyed my stayed there. The place was beautiful where you can just relax and listen to sound of the water flowing throughout the day. I highly recommended this place to anyone who has a small or big group.

Close to Perfect

My brother and I hit the north grove campground for the first time this past weekend. My expectations weren’t high but this place was great.

The campground we chose was kind of close to the road which would have been the only real negative. The campground map makes it seem like the road was further away from the sites but I woke up a couple of times from road noise.

Our campsite had a fire ring, bbq, picnic table and bear box and still had a large flat spot for my huge tent as well as parking for my car.

The weather was great, no bugs to be found and plenty to do. I already want to go back next year but choose a site further from the road.

Isolated and Perfect

Unsure what everyone is talking about below in regards to "beaches" or "showers", this is right off 108 and as you can see on the map it's nowhere near beaches… I think there is some confusion. Maybe two mill creek campgrounds in Cali? I'll explain my experience. This campground is only 8 DOLLARS A NIGHT Y'ALL. This is because it does NOT have any running water whatsoever. Luckily we packed in enough jugs to be totally fine. Obviously this also accounts for showers. There are no showers. There also isn't a bear box on site. But the host explained bears weren't an issue in that specific area and to follow normal rules of putting it away in the car. It was fine. The host was thorough and caring, thanks Duane! The site was raked up before we got there and was very kept. So were the bathrooms, even though our campsite was pretty far away from it. Our campsite had some large rocks nearby we loved to climb on, you'll see pictured. A small creek nearby that was very very low. We were the only ones in that side of the campground and it was seriously awesome. Lake Donnell has a vista point nearby that is easy to get to, paved and all. Overall, if you're okay without water, this site is beautiful, isolated and cared for. I recommend it! Just be ready to swat away the bees when you eat. 🐝

Woodchuck is gone

I just drove by woodchuck campground and it is no longer open. Boulders have been placed in the entry way and trees have been dropped across the camp sites.

It’s an RV park

Fairly run of the mill. A few tent spots that you have to reserve but mostly RVs, many of which seemed to have been there a while. A bit pricey at ~$70 a night. Facilities seemed fine - they have a pool/hot tub. Easy walk to the mall. There was zero social activity; everyone seemed to be in their RV all day and night.

Fantastic little spot

Definitely the best campground in the Auburn area, though only 5 walk-in spots. It’s right on the river with fishing and boating opportunities. Lots of hiking trails right from camp. The 3 mile road down is a bit treacherous (maybe don’t take your RV) but makes you feel ‘out there’. Highly recommended.

Gods Country

Great camping, fishing , Hiking. Friendly people all around.

Dusty but pretty lake

The full hookup rv spots are gravel & very dusty. Whole park is actually. Spots are a little tight for my 37' 5th wheel but it worked out pretty good. Back end of my trailer hung over a big hill. You sit above the full timer rv spots & mostly look at trees. Good sunsets! Lake water level was super low at end of summer & lake is hard to access. Unless you got a boat. Saw deer & wild turkeys. This park is huge. Can drive around & find a good spot to access the lake & go swimming.

Cozy

Nice bear boxes and bathrooms. Tent sites were big

Tranquility

At the top of the Sierras, El Dorado national forest, tucked in away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Stunning views, and blue skies, campground is well maintained and accessible. Rvs and tent camping. Shallow lake that warms up a little for kayaking and swimming. Great family lake.

Awesome

The campground is located right next to the creek. I’ve caught a few trout out of it! Quiet area. Bears frequent the area so use the bear boxes and lock up your food! 25ish minutes from loon lake and the rubicon trail.

Beautiful Serene Campground

Stayed at this Campground in the beginning of August. It was absolutely stunning. Super close to this place called The Pots. We arrived near sundown. Unpacked our gear and then walked to The Pots from our campsites. The views were amazing. The campsite host had fire wood for sale. There were new bathroom facilities installed. There were no showers or sinks. There was a fire pit at every campsite and a picnic table as well. Well worth it! Would definitely come here again.

Nice find

To be honest our first impression of this place was not the greatest. The sites are fairly close together and there wasn’t a lot of tree coverage in most sites. We used 3 sites for a group (7, 9, 13) 9 and 13 are right across from each other so that worked out nice. 7 was in another loop but kind of backed up to us so it worked out ok. Trukee river runs right by the campground, however if you want to stay in the sites next to it you will have to hike your heat to your site. I believe they were sites 23 to 27. It’s not far but if you have a lot of gear it might be more trouble that it’s worth. The only real negative is that the campground is right off the highway and you get a lot road noise day/night. Overall we had a great trip and the camp host was very friendly! I would definitely recommend this place and we will probably be back.

Amazingly quiet

The sights are well spaced giving you plenty of room. There is a pretty easy hike to a waterfall which is big or small depending on the season. The hot springs is privately owned so it is extra but worth enjoying.

Always fun

Reservation a must get filled up quickly

Beautiful, quiet, private

We arrived after dark and had no idea what was around us. We were so pleasantly surprised when the sun came up to find ourselves surrounded by trees and so close to the lake. Wish we could have stayed longer! A really ideal campsite for getting away.

Nice overnight

Stayed here on our way back from a wedding to get one last glimpse of nature. Great sunsets here

Beautiful nature filled stay

Great campsite with trails to hike and explore.  Close to Lake Tahoe and also the Taylor Creek Watershed that has a beautiful trail to explore.  Done both tent and yurt camping, both great!