Eldorado National Forest, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Eldorado National Forest
Most Recent Eldorado National Forest Camping Reviews
Nice and quiet and beautiful under the moonlight

We came here because Dardanelle was closed down and we are absolutely grateful for that. This quiet piece of gem sits next to the river which shone so beautiful under the silky moonlight. It is clean and well maintained.

Great place

Beautiful place in the middle of pines. Spots are big, sanitary are clean. Hot showers, drinkin water, no place for dish. Calm and you can see bears!! Hosts are very kind.

Especially Beautiful

Fallen Leaf Lake and its campground were really beautiful and felt remote despite being pretty close to the development of South Lake Tahoe. Our spot (84) was not very private or great for a tent, but it worked for our overnight. The bath house was nice and new/clean. The hosts were super super friendly, but they called it a day pretty early (5?) so we missed out on buying firewood onsite. They did warn us about bears in such an admiring way, it was really sweet. However, we didn't see any bears, just poo about 20 feet from our tent (!). Fire ring, giant table, bear box, water, all as expected.

The lake itself is stunning. Seriously. Dusk was perfectly still and calm, but early morning was also beautiful. Would absolutely stay or visit here again.

Great for anglers!

We camped at Spicer on Labor Day weekend with our 28’ toy hauler (no OHV allowed on site). The campsites have a variety of trees/rocks and many are fairly private. We got one close to the walking trail down to the lake, which took just a couple minutes. The lake is nice but better for fishing than swimming/paddle boarding/kayaking. We did find swimming at the river leading to the lake, and it was only a short hike down. Utica is also a quick 10-15 minute drive and perfect for the activities mentioned.

The camp hosts were pleasant and helpful. The vault toilet bathrooms were clean. No reservations (except group camp, I think), hookups, or America The Beautiful pass discounts (but they do take Golden Age). There is AT&T cell service down by the lake. At the time (early September), there were a lot of bees and we saw some fresh bear poop right behind one of the sites.

Best campsite to be at away from the city

This campsite is quiet and peaceful. The person who is in charge was very welcoming. I enjoyed my stayed there. The place was beautiful where you can just relax and listen to sound of the water flowing throughout the day. I highly recommended this place to anyone who has a small or big group.

Close to Perfect

My brother and I hit the north grove campground for the first time this past weekend. My expectations weren’t high but this place was great.

The campground we chose was kind of close to the road which would have been the only real negative. The campground map makes it seem like the road was further away from the sites but I woke up a couple of times from road noise.

Our campsite had a fire ring, bbq, picnic table and bear box and still had a large flat spot for my huge tent as well as parking for my car.

The weather was great, no bugs to be found and plenty to do. I already want to go back next year but choose a site further from the road.

Isolated and Perfect

Unsure what everyone is talking about below in regards to "beaches" or "showers", this is right off 108 and as you can see on the map it's nowhere near beaches… I think there is some confusion. Maybe two mill creek campgrounds in Cali? I'll explain my experience. This campground is only 8 DOLLARS A NIGHT Y'ALL. This is because it does NOT have any running water whatsoever. Luckily we packed in enough jugs to be totally fine. Obviously this also accounts for showers. There are no showers. There also isn't a bear box on site. But the host explained bears weren't an issue in that specific area and to follow normal rules of putting it away in the car. It was fine. The host was thorough and caring, thanks Duane! The site was raked up before we got there and was very kept. So were the bathrooms, even though our campsite was pretty far away from it. Our campsite had some large rocks nearby we loved to climb on, you'll see pictured. A small creek nearby that was very very low. We were the only ones in that side of the campground and it was seriously awesome. Lake Donnell has a vista point nearby that is easy to get to, paved and all. Overall, if you're okay without water, this site is beautiful, isolated and cared for. I recommend it! Just be ready to swat away the bees when you eat. 🐝

Woodchuck is gone

I just drove by woodchuck campground and it is no longer open. Boulders have been placed in the entry way and trees have been dropped across the camp sites.

It’s an RV park

Fairly run of the mill. A few tent spots that you have to reserve but mostly RVs, many of which seemed to have been there a while. A bit pricey at ~$70 a night. Facilities seemed fine - they have a pool/hot tub. Easy walk to the mall. There was zero social activity; everyone seemed to be in their RV all day and night.

Fantastic little spot

Definitely the best campground in the Auburn area, though only 5 walk-in spots. It’s right on the river with fishing and boating opportunities. Lots of hiking trails right from camp. The 3 mile road down is a bit treacherous (maybe don’t take your RV) but makes you feel ‘out there’. Highly recommended.

Gods Country

Great camping, fishing , Hiking. Friendly people all around.

Dusty but pretty lake

The full hookup rv spots are gravel & very dusty. Whole park is actually. Spots are a little tight for my 37' 5th wheel but it worked out pretty good. Back end of my trailer hung over a big hill. You sit above the full timer rv spots & mostly look at trees. Good sunsets! Lake water level was super low at end of summer & lake is hard to access. Unless you got a boat. Saw deer & wild turkeys. This park is huge. Can drive around & find a good spot to access the lake & go swimming.

Cozy

Nice bear boxes and bathrooms. Tent sites were big

Tranquility

At the top of the Sierras, El Dorado national forest, tucked in away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Stunning views, and blue skies, campground is well maintained and accessible. Rvs and tent camping. Shallow lake that warms up a little for kayaking and swimming. Great family lake.

Awesome

The campground is located right next to the creek. I’ve caught a few trout out of it! Quiet area. Bears frequent the area so use the bear boxes and lock up your food! 25ish minutes from loon lake and the rubicon trail.

Beautiful Serene Campground

Stayed at this Campground in the beginning of August. It was absolutely stunning. Super close to this place called The Pots. We arrived near sundown. Unpacked our gear and then walked to The Pots from our campsites. The views were amazing. The campsite host had fire wood for sale. There were new bathroom facilities installed. There were no showers or sinks. There was a fire pit at every campsite and a picnic table as well. Well worth it! Would definitely come here again.

Nice find

To be honest our first impression of this place was not the greatest. The sites are fairly close together and there wasn’t a lot of tree coverage in most sites. We used 3 sites for a group (7, 9, 13) 9 and 13 are right across from each other so that worked out nice. 7 was in another loop but kind of backed up to us so it worked out ok. Trukee river runs right by the campground, however if you want to stay in the sites next to it you will have to hike your heat to your site. I believe they were sites 23 to 27. It’s not far but if you have a lot of gear it might be more trouble that it’s worth. The only real negative is that the campground is right off the highway and you get a lot road noise day/night. Overall we had a great trip and the camp host was very friendly! I would definitely recommend this place and we will probably be back.

Amazingly quiet

The sights are well spaced giving you plenty of room. There is a pretty easy hike to a waterfall which is big or small depending on the season. The hot springs is privately owned so it is extra but worth enjoying.

Always fun

Reservation a must get filled up quickly

Beautiful, quiet, private

We arrived after dark and had no idea what was around us. We were so pleasantly surprised when the sun came up to find ourselves surrounded by trees and so close to the lake. Wish we could have stayed longer! A really ideal campsite for getting away.

Nice overnight

Stayed here on our way back from a wedding to get one last glimpse of nature. Great sunsets here

Beautiful nature filled stay

Great campsite with trails to hike and explore.  Close to Lake Tahoe and also the Taylor Creek Watershed that has a beautiful trail to explore.  Done both tent and yurt camping, both great!

Awesome Cabins!

There are 4 cabins that can be rented from the park service however, they are not actually in the park. They are across the highway and up in the hills. We drove to the park but it's only short distance.

The cabins are great but expensive, $170 per night, so I deducted a star. They are rustic. No TV, no air conditioning (just ceiling fans), no bedding or towels. You bring your own.

It’s a long bumpy road to get here, but you won’t want to leave.

This place is amazing. I’ve been five times since I discovered it late last year. This campground is about an hour’s drive to any kind of amenities or cell phone service. The road in is bumpy and there is a shallow creek that you will need to drive across, but I had no problems driving a 2wd Honda Fit compact car up. This park didn’t even open until late July this year due to all the snowfall. There is 1 vault toilet and an old-school hand pump for water, which isn’t always functioning so bring plenty of water. All of the sites are first come first served, each has a fire pit with grill plate, and a picnic table. No dumpsters for trash, pack it in and pack it out.

There is plenty of hiking, both steep and moderate. Folger peak trail can be very challenging due to all the loose shale. There is an equestrian trail that is more flat going the other direction which is less steep but still a very scenic hike. Ranchers bring their cattle up to graze during the summer months so you’ll hear their cowbells all day long. There is a weather station in the valley and it’s fairly accurate so you can get the forecast before you go, just google weather Highland Lakes. I would recommend a 4 season tent, even in the summer. On my last trip it was a little to cold for my taste so we drove back down the road and camped along the creek the last few nights.

A great spot, but overcrowded

It’s the last campground along hwy 4 with amenities and cell phone reception. A truly great spot but for these reasons alone it’s far too crowded for my tastes. Inspiration point trail is an easy hike with amazing views. Also a hike into Carson Iceberg wilderness into a majestic valley with old log cabins and free range cattle. Sadly this campground did not open until early July this year and will close after Labor Day weekend. There are still plenty of other camping options for late season if you continue up Highway 4 towards Ebbetts pass.

Another wonderful stay

This was my second time staying and it was just as amazing as the last time we stayed. The showers and bathrooms are always clean. We arrived and there were no other people staying so it was quiet. Took a little hike around the trail, grinding rock and went to the free museum this time. You can’t beat $30 a night to stay at this place.

River nearby!

Really liked this campground. Very well maintained and on the Silver Fork of American River. Camp host was nice, but didn't recognize discount for US National Park Pass. $23/night.

Will return, but only with more people to split the bill.

Awesome little getaway

8.5 miles of the main road, crossing the creek 5 times, we found the perfect little spot. Restroom was quite a distance from our campsite, so we opted for our own portable toilet. No showers available but boil some creek water and washcloth wipe yourself down, you're good to go. Also recommend getting a fire permit from the Bridgeport Ranger Station. No trash receptacles or bins…….so pack out your trash.

Amazing spot

Camped at utica but went to both. The views here are awesome. Its a great spot for the family. Would definitely come back here.

Great Design

One thing my wife and I love about this campground is the creative design of the sites. They are close together but beautiful and create such a fun experience.