Eldorado National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Camping California Eldorado National Forest
Most Recent Eldorado National Forest Camping Reviews
Great Design

One thing my wife and I love about this campground is the creative design of the sites. They are close together but beautiful and create such a fun experience.

Super awesome

Customer service was really nice about allowing me to change the day I camped. Each campsite has a lot of room and I was able to rent a paddle board right across the street.

Absolutely stunning

There were 20 of us on a camping trip and this group site was amazing. We were all able to claim tent space and have extra places to hang out or cook meals. The bear bins were located great and even got to see a couple of them by our tents. The location of the campground is great and just a short drive or walk to Lake Tahoe. Over all best sleep on a picnic table I've had (it's a preference to tents)!

OMG

BEAUTIFUL!! Don’t bring to much down cause you have to carry it back up lol learned my lesson! 1/2 mile hikish downs and back to vehicle. Empty Mon-Wed the weekend got a little busy but wonderful still!!

We love it!

Excellent camping area, depending on time of year camp site may be within a few yards from the water. We bring our kayaks and paddle all day there are plenty of miles of lakeside to explore. The peninsula camping site is a bit longer drive but worth it!

Swimming fun

Acorn Campground is great for tent and RV camping. Warm weather so great for swimming. Good for fishing, boating (they have a launch), kayaking, paddle boarding and you can bring bikes and scooters for the kids.

Nice place next to river

This place is north east of Sacramento. Coloma resort is what some friends call "Glamping", but it's so much more than that. You can tent camp (it's covered sites for camping too), rent a cabin or RV camp. Great sites along the river too. One negative, is you have to book way ahead of time, but it's well worth it. You can pan for gold, relax, or bike, hike along the river, and kids can play along several playgrounds for kids of different ages. A large grass area great for games, and if you are up for it, rafting, kayaking and fishing in the cold American river. You can also learn some history about the discovery of gold and check out Sutter Mill!

Quiet camping

Easy access. We were the only campers at the campground. Plenty of campsites both north and south of the campgrounds. If you don’t mind constant utv traffic (we didn’t 😎) then this is a great place. The outhouse was dirty with trash, but it didn’t stink nor were there any flies. There was a very conspicuous absence of wildlife in the area. The creek is only about 3 to 4 feet wide and around 2 feet deep. If you’re looking for a swimming hole, this is not that place 🙂.

Beautiful Free Camping

Several areas along Blue Lakes Rd offer dispersed camping. We had a wildflower-filled meadow to ourselves in early August with plenty of near-by trails for dirt bikes, Jeeping, horses, mountain biking or hiking.

Awesome place

Really clean and well taken care of really love this spot spaces are spaced apart well so you have some room around you..

Beautiful forest campground

Gorgeous NF campground. Sites are varying sizes but plenty of RV size sites. Water spigots and bathrooms around. Not on the lake but walking distance away. Taylor's Creek and Valhalla nearby too.

Perfect lake location

Gorgeous National Forest campground with big sites. No hookups, but water and bathrooms nearby. Right on Lake Tahoe. Super nice hosts.

Perfect Location for Lake Tahoe

Gorgeous campground, owned by the city of South Lake Tahoe. Not many hookups, but perfect location for visiting SLT. Beach across the street. Only 3 stars because of hookup situation and extra charge to dump.

Silvertip Campground

Beautiful place with lake alpine 1 mile away. You can hike to lake on trail on south side of campground. Host is amazing. I practically grew up at that campground every summer since I was born

Utica

Beautiful place, even better kayaking, fishing is alright not great. Campsites are very clean

Beautiful but lots of drugs and desperate homelessness

Greeted with trash and cigarette butts littering the park. Spent 15 minutes picking up trash so campsite was decent. Homeless drug addicts resided in the next site over. Random people came at all times to park car while tenants ran out to car. Then car left quickly. That’s a drug deal.
Bags and trash littered their site. They rarely came out of their tents. Our last night homeless people came through our camp to rummage through the trash. They only left when we called the cops.
Random car yelled f*&$ you at my little boys. Horrible.
I only gave it one star for the physical beauty.

Calaveras Big Trees North Grove Campwith something for everyone

I think this is my favorite California State Park. It is situated in the Calaveras Big Trees Giant Sequoia Grove.

The campsites are spacious with lots of room between you and other campers, hot showers, great Visitors Center, campfire programs, puppet shows, self guided hikes, Stanislaus River, Beaver Creek, lots of wildlife, astronomy programs (we even got to see the International Space Station go overhead) and so much more.

We saw a yearling doe with the longest eyelashes I have ever seen on a deer, a fledgling osprey with a little hick-up in his first flight, lots of squirrels, chipmunks, and other critters, birds of all different colors. Just delightful.

Big Trees is close to explore the many little charming Gold Country Towns in the area and if you want to go out to dinner every kind of cuisine you can imagine.

You will have an awesome time at Calaveras Big Trees.

Glamping with all the amenities

Super busy campground with kids running around and riding bikes. They put on a ton of events like karaoke nights, live music, and smores nights. Hot showers and well lit clean bathrooms. Hard to find solitude or silence

Quiet and beautiful camping

Stayed for two nights and it was so quiet. It’s the perfect campsite that allows campfires, has showers and restrooms, and has a hiking trail. There’s a nearby convenience store called the Dollar General if you need to grab a few last minute items. Highly recommend going to the Black Chasm Cavern nearby. It’s the perfect campsite, I will be visiting again soon!

Friendly and quiet campground near many activities.

Great first trip for us! 49er was quiet and well-maintained. The staff was very friendly! They met us at the office when we pulled up and helped us get to the site (#45), and back in. Several nice amenities on the site: gravel pads, full hookups, including sewer, cable, water and 30/50A service. Small picnic table. Since we have a smaller trailer, our site was pretty compact. Quiet hours 10p-8a.

The campground has a well-stocked market, a campfire circle (s’mores and stories every evening!), an activities/dining hall, and full bathroom/shower. Free gold-panning lessons on the site. The office has a good-sized bookshelf with plenty of good books and magazines. Pet walking area (lit at night). Cool ‘49 theme throughout the camp site.

Nearby attractions include Columbia state park, which is a preserved miners town, Moaning Caves SHP, Railtown, New Melones lake. We took a trip up to Twain Harte for a craft fair, then stopped at Sonora for shopping.

Very nice

Very nice , loved camping right next to the river. Bathrooms were very clean.

Bear Country

I didn’t see not 1 Beautiful area Nice place to fish.

Decent campground

I wasn’t expecting much due to being in the valley and looking to be pretty run of the mill online. I was pleasantly surprised. Sites were a good size and were tucked down a slight hill from the road which was great for privacy. Bathrooms were kept very clean and well stocked.

Beautiful, friendly, and clean!

We stayed 4 days at this park and had the best time!! The kids loved the stocked fishing ponds, and even better was the immaculate 2 swimming pools and playground! Everyone was busy having fun the whole time and the grounds were perfectly kept, all the facilities are very clean, and when it’s 90 out you can’t beat the ice cream in the cafe! Definitely makes you feel like you’re on a vacation here. All the spots have power and water.

Love this place

Family spot for a couple generations now! Grew up camping here in the summer. Lots of amenities, beautiful roads to walk along, pool, showers, library, rec room and occasional events.

Failure

We reserved our sites many months ago. In June I got an email saying our site was closed. I checked several review places and some claimed the gates were locked. Then later others noted it was now open. I called the rangers and they told be it was logged last year and some had not been cleaned up. A few sites were cleared but many had logs still in them. They said they call back and help me try to find a resolution. They never called back. The site is trying to charge me a $10 reservation cancellation fee even though my site is not available.

We ended up booking Chapman Creek instead. Looks like we made a good choice as every review coming in on other sites says the noise is ridiculous.

Beautiful!

We loved this place! Hard to get reservations. Big spaces! Great trails! A lot to do!

Beautiful location

Beautiful campsite in the Sierra’s. Trail heads are close by. Mosquitos seem to always be around so be prepared for that. Campsites are not too close together.

Ice House Campground

We had a nice family campsite (53) very large, flat campsite. Across our site was the reservoir. This year the water was a bit high still however we heard typically they have nice beachy areas. Fishing was excellent! Overall a great campground in the El Dorado National Forest.

expencive campground