the dyrt
Eldorado National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Eldorado National Forest Camping Reviews
Incredible on all accounts!

The fields and trails that are near this campground are phenomenal. It's a short (but steep) hike down to the Giant Sequoia Grove. The bathrooms are not maintains outside of the season and watch out for black widows in the corners of the bathrooms.

There are yurts and information stations about the fields and local flora and fauna! The rangers are incredibly helpful and sweet!

Gorgeous

Very family friendly with stunning views

Super RV Park

I would stay here again and again. The tent sites have a large covered area for shade and the park has a pool for a refreshing little swim. Showers are included with the campground fee.

Great little lake!!

We take our Kayaks and spend the day on the lake. It gets choppy in the afternoon so be aware. The campgrounds are set among huge boulders and can be very private. There are bears but they seem to keep to themselves but don’t temp with unstored food. Tables, bear lockers,fire rings are at all campsites. Trailers and RV are mostly kept to the boat launch. Closed from October till May

No one around

Rolled in with no reservations and not a clue as to camp for the night in my van. All campgrounds were closed but I found a little spot to park for the night right on the lake. Set up camp, did some fishing and cooked up dinner. My best friend and I fished this lake 30 years ago…Good memories

beautiful campground

This campground was one of the nicest I've come across. It's right on the California-nevada state line near Lake Tahoe. In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful places in the US. A lot of the campsites have a view of the lake. They have sites for tents and RVs. The bathrooms are nice and there's fresh drinking water. There are some public grills to use. Really nice amenities at this place.

I personally just love lake Tahoe. Amazing hiking around the lake. Mount Tallac is a killer but gorgeous hike. Go stand on the line between Nevada and California like I did! In the winter this place is awesome too, because the ski resort has some great runs.

A Beautiful Treasure

This is by far one of my absolute favorite campgrounds in the Northern California area I have been coming here since I was a child. I love to camp here the prices are a bit high for camping, but handicapped discounts can be obtained. My mother has used the disabled pass for years giving quite the discount its very much appreciated to those who dont get to wake up in good health every day and thankfully get a little bit of a break on the price. I use to shower and camp here alot honestly even when I was homeless. The showers take quarters and have hot water most of the time. The showers are very big its actually quite peaceful and nice.The shower rooms have very high ceilings with thicker glass windows way up high as well. Almost like a spa experience if you ask me. Although i did get hit with a cold shower one time here during the winter. Quite unpleasant haha. Another fun fact is the big sinks outside the showers usually have little frogs in them. There is also quite a large squirrel population, which the campgrounds ask you not to feed, because the population will get even bigger upsetting the balance of everything there. Plus our foods arent good for their teeth or overall health anyways. The lake itself is beautiful! If not camping overnight i love to get a day pass and just hang out on the beach! Its a great family friendly area. I suggest staying on the main beach with the provided lifejacket area if with children as the other rock areas near the beach suddenly can drop off underwater very deep. Before i was a mother i would camp and swim out here for weeks during the summer. There wasnt alot of people and im very happy to say not a party area thankfully this makes the campgrounds so much more enjoyable. I litterly was given a waring ticket one time here because a helicopter spotted me with a mikes hard lemonade when i was 25 which was then followed by rangers driving up to me on the beach. Annoying but totally understandable now as I am older i understand. And like i said way nicer without all the partys or party people and garbage etc you can actually relax and enjoy nature here now. Plus its much more safer. And obviously no one should be drinking and swimming or operating a boat as a few summers ago some men died drinking and driving a watercraft after being knocked unconscious when the boat crashed and drowning Very tragic and unfortunate and sad. The lake is very beautiful my grandmother said during her divorce to her husband that passed away from cancer she would come to the lake during the day and just watch the lake from the beach. Its also fun to explore during the dry months when the lake recedes you can find rocks and driftwood etc. Shells. One more tip. I did one summer go collecting wood for a fire and not knowing that poison ivy was common in this campgrounds ended up unknowingly collecting alot of it setting it in the fire pit and the combination of the poison ivy branches and smoke covered my entire body in a very itchy painful rash for a couple weeks i would not wish that on anyone i had to be put on medication at the er. But overall i would say this campgrounds is by far one of the nicest ive ever been too. And the lake access area makes it so much nicer. Also the safeway and jack in the box are relatively close to the campgrounds just a quick trip dpwn the road.

Best Campground For Kids!

We love camping but we had never camped with our kids. We decided to go to Calaveras Big Trees and camp with our two kids plus our friends kids which in total equaled seven. We thought we were crazy to go into the woods with a ton of kids. It was actually really fun and we enjoyed every little bit of it.

The first day was fun and the kids ran around all over the place. We did learn that they can't jump off the walking bridge because there is a small marsh and they were soaked up to their ankles. But it was a great learning experience for them. Explore but we a little cautious.

That first night was also very cold and we discovered we didn't bring enough warm blankets. We did have to go to town and buy an extra warm blanket. After the trip we made sure to buy some extra warm sleeping bags too. We made sure to rent two big spots so we can have enough room for everyone. The kids played volleyball at one site and we sat nearby so we can play games. It was nice to have the kids right next door but far enough so they can explore. They even built their own tee pee out of logs and covered it in pine cones. It made me think of Lord of the Flies as they worked together and sometimes fought. They settled everything and worked it out in the end.

Overall it was a great trip and we all enjoyed our walk through the Calaveras Big Trees. It was so fun and exciting. Our kids loved adventuring on their own with a bit of supervision here and there from one or more of the parents. Overall it was an amazing trip. We had a lot of fun.

Probably the quietest RV spot i have been to

Coin operated shower very nice and clean bathroom clean showers.

Folsom lake Rv spot

Very quite camping spot very clean.coin operated showers😭 lake is very close by.

Amazing campground with hiking

We were here during the off season in early March, it was cold, but the campsite was comfortable with all the leaves on the ground. The bathrooms were fine, nothing spectacular. The real draw for this campground are the hiking trails that crisscross nearby and that lead you to the Chawse Native American cultural/historical area. They have rebuilt Native American style dwellings and have placards to explain how the native Americans would grind the acorns to make a meal for their food. All in all a great spot to stop.

Family friendly

Very pleased with the accommodation and everything availableo

A campground centrally located in South Lake Tahoe

I was surprised when I heard of this campground. A city run campground across the street from the lake in the middle of town? Sure! We had a site in one of the two loops that had full hook-ups, and our site backed up to US 50. I was prepared for a lot of road noise and even strangers wandering through our camp but neither was a nuisance. Sites were spacious. We loved seeing the lake from our campsite and hitting the bike trail right outside the campground. There was also a nice city pool, library, and playground in walking distance.

Serene and very beautiful!

No running water but the campground has great views of the lake! There are 2 site that are tucked away further down the road that are really secluded if that is your thing. Took a day trip to Alpine lake to swim. Beware of the elevation - didn't realize how far up we were!

Everything you need

As disc golfers, of course we love camping here, having 3 courses to choose from. But there is something for everyone in the family here, there is amazing fishing, boating and swimming. The campsites are mostly level with a shared water source every site or two. Restrooms are basic and clean, no shower. There were plenty of campsites to choose from this weekend, but in summer we’ve needed reservations. The wildlife is RIGHT THERE! We saw a tarantula near the tee box on 2. I woke up with 4 deer casually strolling through our campsite, a huge group of turkeys were cruising around the whole weekend.

love lake tahoe

Lake tahoe is one of the most beautiful place in California. There are plenty of state parks and campsites around the lake, but D.L. Bliss is one of my favorite. Its nestled right on the lake, but some of the campsites are a little further back away from it. My favorite part about this campground is that it was pretty quite when I went. Not a whole lot of people there. The sites are a little small, but very nice. The beaches are great too and secluded.

The campground has all the amenities you could need. Hot showers, clean drinking water, nice bathrooms, firewood for sale, picnic tables. There are hiking trails right near the campground and, of course, the beach. There's also tons to do right around the lake. Scuba diving, biking trails, hiking trails, kayaking, whatever you can think of really.

My favorite hike in near Lake Tahoe is defiantly Mount Tallac. If you decide do to this hike, be prepared. Its about 10ish miles, pretty strenuous, and some of the trail can be covered with snow depending on the time of year.

Also, make sure to always store your food in bear safe containers. The bears can get pretty active around here depending on the time of year.

Great all around campground for RVers and tent camping

One of the largest and nicest campground for RVers and Tent campers combined. Helpful staff, and park rangers on site. Activities planned each day. Close walk to Lake Tahoe and restaurants

Excellent lake access, beautiful, spacious campgrounds

Lots of space to spread out under the trees, easy lake access from all campgrounds, great for boating if that’s what you’re into, could be a drawback if you’re a long distance swimmer as there are lots of boats.

serene and peaceful

great hiking trail and camping spot away from civilization.

Amazing access to the High Sierra!

Awesome spot! Great campground right on a creek, access to high Sierra hiking trails that put you right up at high lakes, and friendly park rangers/station.

Great location and amenities

Easy to access, even for larger rigs. We stayed in 39 foot 5th wheel. Plenty of pull thru spots, full hookups, regularly spaced bathroom/showers. Nice store for basic needs, nice laundry room.

All that glitters

You are up on a summit so the only thing to cut down the wind if it gets windy is the stand of trees that the campground is situated in. There are pit toilets and water hydrants. I think that there are 14 campsites in all. I went on a Monday durning Peak season. There were at least five sites to choose from. Picnic tables and fire rings were at every site along with a large flat area for your tent. There are a few hikes nearby so it’s nice to be so close to so many trailheads.

Oh right. Pictures. Fogot.

Ok - Pretty great spot. Breezed in, set up on the tent only loop, and enjoyed the rest of the night. Twenty five buckeroo seems to be the going rate and I've certainly spent more on less.

Flushie toilets, bear lockers, easy access to Reno/Tahoe.

Freeway noise noticeable, but not objectionable if you're a city baby like me.

Nice location, but has a few major issues

We got a last minute cancelled site at the Fallen Leaf Campground, and thought we’d truly lucked out. We stayed at site 87 which is nestled among towering native pine trees on the South end of the campground and one of the few sites which doesn’t have neighbors on all sides. The sites have the standard standing BBQ's and fire rings at all sites (but we couldn’t utilize them because of the fire ban), old picnic tables and various amounts of space for RV’s/cars and the tried and true bear box. In this campground you NEED to utilize the bear boxes. They have signs everywhere about the mass amount of bear activity and how there is a mother and her 2 cubs which have been terrorizing the campground for some time this season (2018). Again, you need to keep everything (food, toiletries, etc.) in the bear box at all times. The sites are reservable, and on top of the $35 (nonelectric) per site there is a $7 fee for a second vehicle, Yurts go for $86 which do have power and a nonrefundable $10 service fee…. While the campground allows dogs, they aren’t allowed in the Yurts.

There’s lots of bear proof dumpsters around the campground, lots of potable water in strategic spots and a number of decent restrooms, and it was nice that at some of them they provided hot (pay) showers (at $1 per 3 minutes) and while the ADA has some control the standard one has no control over the heat or pressure its simply on or off. Also, the restrooms have no soap, paper towels, or hand dryers, etc. Which was a little disappointing for the cost.

My biggest disappointment in the setup of the campground has to do with the bears and cleaning your dishes. There is no dish-washing area in the entire ~200 site, ~14 bathroom campground. They specifically ask that you don’t wash your dishes in the sinks or at the water spigots as they don’t want any food particles going down the drains. So, when I asked about disposing of the dish water they said to just toss it at the base of a tree, as it’s dry and the trees would appreciate it. This doesn’t help keep the bears away… While we scrapped and collected every bit of food waste we could and tossed it into the dumpsters, ff you’re just tossing food scrap-soaked water at the base of the trees the bears are going to come for the smell… I’ve stayed at other sites in bear country which have setups for disposing of the waste water and food scraps to detract bears and Fallen Leaf definitely is lacking and this is possibly part of the reason they’re having such an issue with bears.

While, our site (87) would probably normally be a great location with the Fallen Leaf Lake being the only thing behind you and no neighbors on at least 2 of your sides, we happened to somehow book the same weekend that a corporate event was taking over the vast majority of the campground with almost 200 people….

While, not entirely the campgrounds fault it was a little disruptive to have this mass number of people come directly next to us in site 88 for their meals as they’d decided to make that site the meal prep site for breakfast (they started prep at 5:30 am) and dinner (we actually had to ask the drunk group to stop screaming at midnight) these were both well outside the “quiet hours” and definitely surpassed the “6 people per site” rule.

Otherwise this campground is in a great location to see the area as it’s only approximately one-quarter mile north of Fallen Leaf Lake. The trail from the campground was only 3 sites over from us. The Taylor Creek Visitor Center is directly across Highway 89 and is a great location to talk to the Rangers about other potential hikes in the area. They also have interpretive programs, guided walks on the Rainbow Trail and to the Stream Profile Chamber (which was closed because someone decided to break it. Although it should be repaired now… end of September 2018). Also, nearby Baldwin Beaches or Pope Beach, which cost $10, or you can go to the Tallac Historic Site with tours and events at its historic buildings and grounds and the free (dog friendly) Kiva beach which is exactly the same as the other pay access beaches….

There’s also a really nice paved bike trail that runs 3 miles along Highway 89 and can be used to access all of the above. You have access to excellent day hiking and backpacking in Desolation Wilderness via the Glen Alpine or Mt. Tallac trailheads which are also nearby.

Campground with a beautiful layout

I walked through the seasonally closed Eagle Point Campground while exploring the Emerald Bay section of Lake Tahoe. This campground is a newly renovated area of the peninsula on the South/West side of the Emerald Bay State Park separated into Upper and Lower sections.

Since the campground was closed we had to park on Highway 89 and walk through the campground to get to the Rubicon Trailhead which is located at the divider between the 2 camping sections.

As we hiked through I was really blown away with the layout of the campground. I loved that these sites were almost a multi-leveled. Meaning that your tent site might be 10 feet lower than your picnic table, bear box, etc. or it could have a raised fire pit on a small bluff above the tent pad, table. Each site was unique, and this added to the separation between sites, so you’re not on the same level and directly next to your neighbors, adding to the feeling of being in the wilderness. (At least to me)

Also, it should be pointed out that there were signs everywhere about using your bear boxes and that they’d fine you if you leave anything in your car. I know some people seem to have an issue with this for some reason…but I don’t want a bear roaming through any campground I’m staying at.

There weren’t any sites that I saw which could hold an RV or 5th wheel, unless you have something under 18 feet… So maybe tents only, and there are no hookups. While I know I got a sterile experience since no one was actually camping, the campground was very clean and well maintained and the restrooms looked really nice. They had running water, flush toilets and pay showers ($1 per 3 minutes). The little amphitheater at the trailhead was cool and seemed ideally setup for presentations with incredible views of Lake Tahoe.

While pets are allowed in the campground, they’re not allowed on the Emerald Bay SP trails or beaches. Sites are $35 and all are reservable 6 month out, so

A classic

Right on the lake and excellent camp hosts (Michelle and her husband)

Trees, privacy, & a creek!

Great camp spot near Lake Tahoe.It is refreshing to be surrounded by trees and a short walk to a creek and a lake.

Well maintained, but busy and lacks some key amenities...

The 13 sites of the first-come first-serve Bayview Campground are part of the well maintained US Forest Service property located in a prime area literally right across the street from the Inspiration Point Overlook of Emerald Bay State Park and is central to several awesome hiking trails in the South Tahoe area. Two of the hiking trails which lead into the incredible (and uncharacteristically names) Desolation Wilderness to Granite Lake and Cascade Falls start literally behind this campsite. Because of these trails and the crowded Vista across the street there are hordes of people coming in an out throughout the day looking for parking, especially during the weekend. Thus, do not expect a quiet/secluded campsite during the day, it does appear to become quieter after 6 pm as less people are walking/hiking around and staring at you while you camp.

The campsites have a decent amount of room between them and are nestled within a grove of beautiful trees, giving you plenty of shade during the day and a great place to put up your hammock. The sites also have all of the basic camping stuff like a fire pit, picnic table, and bear locker provided. Note that these sites are really tent only (No RV will fit in here, maybe a small 5th wheel) and parking spaces are pretty small and can probably only fit one car (or 2 tiny ones) in most spots, about 20 feet total length.

Bathrooms are decently maintained and for the amount of traffic that makes its way through the campground, actually clean! (Might help that the vista across the street also has a few pit toilets as well)

However, there is no running water, so make sure to prepare for your camping and any that you might need if you hike out into the wilderness and the weather conditions because when it’s dry you can’t have a fire and there won’t even be any water flowing in the stream that runs through the campground to even get some water to filter/boil.

The fee is $18/night - 6/people (1 car, $7 for a second) and 2 pets are allowed. Great place to stay if you are looking for a convenient location right off Highway 89 and central to a ton of prime South/East Tahoe hiking trails, but lacking in amenities and extremely busy with day trippers.

Stunning Alpine scenery, beautiful lakes! What's not to love?

This is a lovely campground with several sites that have better than average privacy. There are also a number that are quite on top of one another -- but the place is first-come-first-served only, so you can remedy this by showing up earlier.

When the weather is nice, those that arrive on Thursday will be treated to a reasonable selection, while Saturday arrivals may be completely out of luck.

Dogs are allowed on-leash only, and the camp host doesn't miss opportunities to reiterate the fact (albeit in a friendly fashion). Very nearby, you'll find Caples Lake, where you'll find plenty of opportunities for you and your hound to swim and fish.

It great and family friendly

It has showers but have to pay and the like a bundlow that you can rent and even has power but only thing I would say that make sure have travel time because the resort that near there always has traffic back up into lake Tahoe and they lake there at resort is great for swming and nice beach