South Lake Tahoe, CALIFORNIA

Camping California South Lake Tahoe

Most Recent South Lake Tahoe Camping Reviews
Large spacious campground, great for families!

Great campground, lots of space for the kids to run around and great hiking trails. Lake Tahoe is just across the street and the firework show across the lake was incredible, but get to the beach early to reserve your spot.

Very nice state park, loop A has water and electric, some pull thru sites all paved.

Love, love, love!

This was a pretty big campground, and it was pretty full when I got there. But, the campsite I stayed at (45) was tucked far enough back from the loop road and had tons of bushes, so I felt like I was the only one there. There were rv's with larger groups on either side of me, but I couldn't hear a thing. The hiking trail was right behind my site, and I took full advantage of it, wandering through the backcountry. It was short drive to lake, like 5 min. With as many people as there was in the campground I thought there would be lots of people on the lake. Not so! I shared the lake with only a couple of other people. It was an amazing camping trip!

Very nice location on the river. Will return

This park is located very close to Sutter’s Mill where good was discovered. It also has a white water rafting business on site.

The terrain is steep with mostly smaller sites. Water pressure is excellent. Our site had 30 amp only and I doubt any of them have 50 amp. The power is not good. I had to bypass the surge suppressor because it kept cutting out due to low voltage. Voltage was generally 104-105.

There are very nice tent and yurt sites along the river.

They have a nice shower and there’s decent AT&T service.

I would be very cautious about coming here with a larger RV. Ours is 30’ bumper to bumper. I think 32 would be ok.

Be aware that Garmin nav might take you the wrong way. Apple Maps had it correct though.

We had a hard time finding entrance

You must go through the main entrance to the Fort Churchill historical site to enter this campground. DO NOT drive down the gravel road that runs along the river. There is no camping at the historical site, only in Samuel Buckland Campground. It’s very nicely laid out, with some pull through and back in spots. No hook ups, vault toilets. $5 firewood at the Fort Churchill entrance, but no burning allowed at this time. We were nicely surprised to have water spigots at the sites (not hook ups). First come first served $15 per night and very quiet at night for a good sleep. Verizon cell service was not good.

Small Area

There are only a couple spots where you can park next to your site. For others, unless you have a truck or a big 4WD vehicle, you have to park and walk up to a site. Bear boxes are provided but no bathrooms or water. It’s a dispersed campsite so it’s first come first serve. Very close proximity to other sites and depending on your neighbors, it can get loud at night. The water looks a little swampy and was not enticing to swim in it. The road to get to the site is VERY narrow and bumpy. We had a Toyota RAV4 and most other cars I saw were a type of SUV. I wouldn’t recommend a smaller car although it is doable. I did see a Subaru down there.

Great spot!

It isn’t free. There’s a $10/night fee. This spot was right on a water reservoir with breath taking views. When we stayed, there wasn’t anyone else near us, but if there were, the campsites are right next to each other. A little too close for me but we didn’t experience that so it was fine. I would definitely stay here again!

Great for a single night stop

We only stayed for a single night, but have no complaints. The staff were really friendly for bookings and check in. The park was nice and well maintained. We would definitely stay again if we are passing through Reno.

Great swimming, facilities could be improved

We were here in August. Slightly long to get to on the windy roads at night time, but during the day the drive back wasn't bad. Loved the water access, and water was perfect temperature for swimming for our toddlers even. Great amenities(fire ring, table, bear box). Water pumps were good in the locations where water was present, but due to lower water levels, the pumps on the higher grounds had no water; had to walk to the lowest pumps(which had water, all but the last day when a big RV connected to it, and filled up the entire tank, leaving zero water for tents). Thought that was inconsiderate, and should not be allowed during drought season. Not sure if rangers can prevent that or ask RVs(who are more mobile than tents) to fill up tanks at neighboring campgrounds. Also we arrived late on Friday, so went to buy wood on Saturday morning(around 8 am). No firewood available for purchase left. If we knew that, we would have brought and purchased own wood at a grocery store(nearest town an hour away). However, we know most campgrounds don't allow outside wood, not to contaminate with non-native bugs, etc. Thankfully, there were enough dry logs in the forest nearby that we could scavenge to burn. Overall, great location, with great swimming, but some things could be improved with better facilities management.

Fav

one of my favorite spots!