The best WALK IN camping near
Dexter , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Dexter Camping Reviews
Camping in the Big Woods

This is a great campground for Fall camping. The color's are amazing. Nice hiking trails. Little area to get wet but not swimming. Sites are good and some can handle bigger RV's. Some Electric sites. Nice dump station. Closed all 2020 camping season for Covid. Great for a weekend getaway.

Nice and quiet.

The campground is very nice and well kept. Clean thru out the park. Some very nice shaded sites. Not the greatest for big RV's. OK lake access, good for padding and small boats. Overall it was close to home and a nice time to just get away for a weekend.

Great hiking, no mosquitoes!

We stayed at Minneiska campground since Cedar Hills is under construction this year. It's a newer campground so the vegetation hasn't grown in fully yet - your neighbors are visible but there's good distance between sites so it wasn't a problem at all. The grounds themselves are really well-kept with nice bathroom facilities and hot showers, which was perfect for the cooler fall days. It's a busy park so you'll need to reserve early or plan on visiting during the week.

The hiking itself was awesome. We did the Dakota trail, which was a tough up and down hike with really incredible views of the fall colors. There's also a nice park/picnic area with beach access. I'm hoping to come back next summer to enjoy the swimming. All in all it was a great stay!

Awesome campsite

Camped at a backpack site and it was pretty great. 2 mile hike to the site and the site was fantastic. On the water with lots of tree coverage.

Great hidden gem

Out in the middle of bluff country. This nice campground plays to the active bodied person well. From golf to tubing to an indoor swimming pool and restaurant. This place has a lot to offer.

A hidden Gem

A very small, but great state park right by the more-touristy-Whitewater state park. We lucked out with booking a group site for Labor Day weekend at the last minute. There are two group sites that share one vault toilet. Site #2 is further down a path with 4 picnic tables and room for 4-5 tents. The site is right at the park border, with farm land/prairie just on the other Side of the trees.

Hiking was great with plenty of hills along the whitewater river, as well as a few places to jump in the VERY cold river. Highly recommend this park - and only 1.5 hours from Mpls! Only downside is there is no firewood within the park, so plan ahead there.

Hidden Gem

This is very convenient if you have Mayo Clinic appointments. The campground was nice with grassy sites along with electric and water hook ups, there was a dump station also. Portable toilets spaced around and a centralized bath house by the office. There are seasonal guests and everyone was friendly. We saw deer by the primitive camp areas and had nightly campfires in our fire ring. We will return the next time we are up in MN.

very nice spot on the Root River trail

I camped here midweek in August.  It's in a lovely park in the small (pop 199) town of Peterson, MN.  The park and campground are right on the trail, so very handy.  I was amazed that sewer hookup is included, along with water and electricity, although my sewer hose was not long enough.  Bathrooms are right there, and were clean, with flush toilet and sink.  The park includes a nice playground, horse shoes, a shelter, and HUGE open spaces for your badminton, croquet, or other games.  It was great fun for me to take a morning and/or evening walk around Peterson, a lovely quintessential midwest town, with a feed mill, some lodging, a small cafe, Legion bar, etc.  Some closures due to covid, like the historical society.  Lots of signage around town about history, etc.  I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 day stay in Peterson, and will be back.

Nice park.

Recent change in ownership. Motivated to provide service. Mature park.

Wet Hot American Summer

We stayed at Gooseberry Glen Cart In Campground, on Site 1. The trail to the site was bumpy, but manageable. Site seemed a little small, but we managed to fit a 9 & 4 person tent along with two camping hammocks (6 Men; 2 Dogs). We had room to roam and chill while not feeling overly crowded. First night rained from 11p-5a. Site did not get rained out and no puddling. We were on a little cliff overlooking a small creek/stream, so perhaps there was good drainage. I totally expected mosquitoes but THERE WERE NONE!! After getting a total of 38 bites on my ankles from my previous trip it was so nice to not have to stress about it. The hike to Chimney Rock Trail is literally right across the highway with a trail leading to the parking lot once you cross over. I highly recommend getting up those stairs and having a look at the beautiful views. Wildlife didn’t bother us or our food/gear at all and we kept it onsite. There’s a bear locker on the site, but we kept everything in duct tape coolers and had absolutely no problems. Hummingbirds hit up the vegetation daily. Owls and coyotes could be heard at night so that was cool. The toilet is super close to the site and there’s a trail that cuts right into site #1 that other campsites use…At first it was pretty annoying and invasive until we set up our tents to block that path off from the site itself. We had an absolutely amazing time and was definitely a park/campground I would love to go back to!!