Big Falls , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Big Falls Camping Reviews
Camp right on the lake

This is your typical Forest Service dry campground.  It is reservable in the summer but when we visited in the fall, it was first come, first serve.  And it was empty.  We got a site right at the swimming beach.  The beach however is quite small and suitable for children.  There isn't any hiking directly from the camp site but there is just a few miles away.

It is heavily forested so the solar didn't do us much good so if you're going to be there a while, you will need a generator if you are in an RV.  Cell service is intermittent at best.  You might be able to make a call but no more than that.

We have a small 5th wheel so we had many options but at least half the sites would only take a small trailer or tent.  I would say about 32'-35' is the max.  The road in is mostly paved with only the last mile well graded dirt passable by all vehicles.  We would stay there again.

Dixon Lake

Unreal resort!

Remote and Absolutely Gorgeous

This state park is in my top favs. It’s quiet and remote and there’s a lot to explore. We stayed at a remote watercraft site, accessible only by water so that was thrilling!

The landscape here is fun, with the huge peninsula jutting out into the lake, makes for fun canoeing/kayaking with many little areas to explore, and a couple little islands!

The site itself had a rustic log shelter built in it overlooking the lake, very cool.

The Chase Point peninsula is a great hike and has a little boat landing area at the tip of it to so you can start from either end.

Scooped out Chase Point campground though we didn’t stay in it - sites spaced well, quite wooded. Water and toilets spaced out well too, very accessible from anywhere in the park.

Very cool feature is the little boardwalk with docks along Coon lake and campground edge - makes for easy access to park your kayak or canoe and just a fun little morning walk or place to view sunset over the lake. So charming!

Scenic is definitely the word to describe this park!

One of the nicest camps I've ever stayed in

We love to drive around, aimlessly, enjoy the scenery and then find a place to plop for the night.  Our preference is generally State Forest type of places that are self check in, less than $20 and quiet. Oh yes, and pet friendly.

We were pulling our teardrop on this trip, since it gets cold in MN earlier than southern areas. This campground does not have electric, but it wasn't too cold so we were just fine. Upon pulling in, the place appears huge!  Most State Forest campgrounds are small-ish, but this one has 60 spaces!  Two are ADA accessible, the rest are split between two "loops".  The lower seemed quieter, and the upper had more RVs. Many are lakeside, and there is a hiking trail that runs around the camp on the outskirts that's up and down over rocks and terrain…lovely with the dogs!  A small dock provided a jumping off spot for a quick rinse in the lake (dogs too!).

The campsite was tucked in the trees with all the things you expect.  Fire ring, picnic table, etc, and many of the sites (this one too) were so tucked in the trees it was hard to see neighbors.  Lots of space, not too close together!  We visited in September. Water spigots scattered for drinking water, self check in, easy access.

Quiet, Simple, Peacfull

This is a great little gem on the Canadian border. Minnesota’s smallest state park- but it’s very gorgeous and feels kinda awesome looking out at Canada!

A very cool feature at most sites, is that they have a rustic log overhanging/shelter of sorts. Doesn’t have sides, but some campers strung a tarp on one side to get some actual shelter.

Clean vaulted toilets, running water, garbages throughout the camp and an electric post at the boat launch (doesn’t really seem like it’s an actual camp site, I saw multiple cars pulling up to it to utilize the power, and it’s right in the middle of the boat launch).

Tent pads dry, big, and soft ground. Sites spread out decently, plenty of buffer between most of them. Feels pretty rugged and backwoodsy.

Saw quite a few eagles, the clearest stars ever, and enjoyed a peaceful hike along the river and then through the woods. My site was #4, a walk in site, and for sure the best one in the park! Just about 50 meters from the parking spot, up a little trail to the top of a small hill with great view and bench overlooking the rapids.

Clearly a place for fisher people. The camp boasts Lake Sturgeon fishing and in the evening, I saw multiple boats at the rapids, so something must have been biting!

Ralph, the park caretaker was absolutely amazing, and helped me out with some car trouble. That was a godsend! Nice to know that even in the middle of nowhere, you still got some backup if needed.

Just a fun little kinda secret spot, very basic but still with the necessities and with a backwoods feel, which I definitely appreciate!

Backpack campsite 1

Was hear earlier in summer—not in October as review date states.

Easy 1.5-2 mile hike in. Bring big spray as mosquitos can be bad

There is a bear locker, pit toilet, and a shelter on site. This site is very private.

There is no real way to get down to the pond at the bottom of the camp site.

The trails here are nice for hiking but they aren’t extensive and won’t keep you entertained long. The real reason to come here is for water sports on the main lake. Unfortunately during Covid the rentals weren’t available.

Bring a saw to get firewood—you don’t want to lug the wood on with ya.

Quiet lakeside camping

Electric sites, central water spigot at entrance. Dump station and water fill in Northome ($10). Fishing dock and boat launch. A lot of mosquitoes during our July stay.

Cute walk up only campsite

No prior reservations taken here, but easily found a spot on a Thursday afternoon in late August. Good privacy between sites, trees everywhere. Water was available and seemed to be just fine.

Primitive site, so fire ring, picnic table, vault toilets, trash cans provided. Also a nice day use area boat dock right on Lake Kabetogama with plenty of parking for your boat trailer.

Little Gem By A Lake Completely Empty

I was driving by and I saw a CAMPGROUND sign, so I thought I check it out. It is labor day weekend and it is completely empty. There is self-check-in with an envelope, there are only 13 sites electric. I believe the other side is better for tents. It's right on a small lake with a boat ramp, you can kayak here.

I am completely shocked to find this little gem, it was not on any map, that is why I believe it is empty. It belongs to the town Northome.

They have a nightly price which is $14 and a weekly price is $70 for seven nights. The sites are kind of closed to one another but since it was empty, I had it all for myself.

Large rustic sites - FCFS

Great place to check out if everything else is booked. Water is a hand pump. Dump station in the town of Marcell. Some sites are on the water with a private set of stairs to the lake. Swim beach, wonderful campground hosts, and spotless pit toilets.