Adams, MINNESOTA
Most Recent Adams Camping Reviews
The best weekend camping so close to home!

Chimney Rock Campground was exactly what this Family needed for our first camping trip! We stayed in the upper C campground, every spot is spread far apart for privacy. Yes there was music and people partying I have read people complain in other reviews, but it was done at a decent time and what do you expect? we have all been there and done that and they were done before midnight and silence the rest of the night! We rented canoes and went on a four hour trip but next time we will Deff go on a longer canoe trip and leave earlier. The scenery and the clear water on the river and we went fishing and caught one after the other. We cannot complain about one single thing from our weekend getaway close to home and will be back very very soon.

Great staff!

Fun tubing! Campers are able to sit in the river and “help” tubers along :)

Great staff

We didn’t camp at this campground but we visited for the lazy river tubing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We arrived just before the last lazy river trip started, the staff was clear that we would only get one trip down the river and we were fine with that. The tubes were in great shape, river was a little high but clear of fallen limbs ( for the most part) the woman who drove the bus to pick us up was amazingly friendly, you could tell she loved her job and it made you feel happy to be around her! Everyone had a blast, we will definitely go back!

Whitewater Hiking and Fishing

This park has a lot to offer in terms of hiking!  Many, many miles of trials from flat prairies, to rocky bluffs, to dirt wooded.  And some excellent views from the blufftops! We plan on going in the fall again to take in the colors!  Beautiful trout fishing river running through the park, even has a swimming beach!

Overall a wonderful park to day-hike, fish, and camp in!

Whitefox Campground

This campground has a TON of sites!  There are close to 60 sites in all, about a third to half of those are electric sites.  If you like open spaces, this is a wonderful place to camp.

Beautiful, clean, and recently updated bathrooms and showers!

So much wildlife to see at this park.  Seeing large groups of deer was a daily/nightly thing!

The park has 20+ miles of hiking trails through prairies, woodlands, and along the lake too!  PLus the park offers geocashing (and free GPS rental), as well as canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, and a small fishing that can be rented!

A lot to offer here!

Clean

Very nice, clean campground with a lot of amenities. Tent camping on the river was neat, but tents were very close together due to the small sites

I love this campground! Clean, well maintained, and the hosts are very friendly. Trail to the beach is clear, the playground has nice, safe equipment for the little kids. Sad that there were so many back up sites over the holiday weekend, would have liked to have been able to camp here. It being full more than a week before the holiday, shows how great it is.

Not my favorite

I prefer Clear Lake State park, but this was ok. We had lots of rain, and the sites got a bit muddy. The beach area was closed due to e-coli. Restrooms were clean, and always stocked.

Lots of room

Pull through sites, bathhouse was clean and showers were individual room with timed lights, motion sensors kept the shower interesting! Got to see turtles laying eggs and deer were all around. Family loved the fishing.

Good for the kiddos, office closes by 6 on weekdays

Pay close attention to times for activities here. Things start late and end early. Lots to do, and good overall. Some tlc is needed (mowing, weeds). Overall we would come back during the week for another fun time.

Decent campground for the price

A decent campground. They have a pool with some water slides, an arcade, some fishing ponds, play equipment, a giant bouncy cushion and a couple of inflatable bouncy houses. My only complaints were that a fair amount of things were out of order and the place wasn’t very clean other than that we had a good time.

Decent campground for the price

Very clean campground

Had a great time at Brookside over the Father’s Day weekend. Met the owners, super nice people. Very clean shower room and restroom. The porta potty by our site needed extra fluid, the owner was on top of it within 10 minutes. Held a bags tournament for all ages to enter and then teams were randomly picked. My partner and I won it. Definitely would go back here.

So beautiful

The lower area of this park is so nice and right near a river. The owners are really nice, bathrooms/showers clean and everybody is friendly.

Big and Beautiful

Great campground. Family and friends get together a must here. Close to the beach, town and the lake has great fish. Reserve early!

Just enough trees

This is a state campground. So as most will know the sites could be better maintained. The bathrooms are updated and nice. When there is heavy rain you will however have your own pond at most sites. I guess you pay for what you get. I love this campground because they are large spots. Close to the beach and fishing is awesome. A big campground but reserve early!

Quiet bluff on the the river

When the directions are to go around the road closed sign you know adventure awaits. This remote site is perfect to get away and still be close to town. This is one you can reserve and get the entire site. The owner lived 5 minutes away and is available when you need help. We stayed on the top by the picnic table, fire pit and composting outhouse. There is a great clearing underneath tall trees - complete with firewood and even a couple chairs. The road curls down the hill to arrive next to the root river. Camping is possible here but a 4x4 might be needed - weather dependent. We spent time exploring the groomed trails and enjoying the river. The view of the bluff is wonderful.

We drove over to Quarry Hill Nature Center. An amazing nature center with exhibit styles that I’ve never seen before. You can walk over some and look from above through viewing windows. My dog and I hiked on paved, groomed and dirt trails for an enjoyable day.

This is truly a place to remember!

Peaceful and beautiful

I arrived midweek around 8:00 PM and the office was closed. I was tent camping on motorcycle and easily found my site way back on the property. Andy came out to my site in the morning to say hi and ask if anything was needed. He definitley cares about the people staying here. With the gravel roads and very soft grass site, it was easy to manuver a large bike. Out in the tent sites there was very little light, which made star gazing amazing. If it wasn't for the store and well done shower room I would have thought I was in the wilderness especially in the tent area. Great place for quiet midweek, not sure what the weekend is like. The only reason it is not 5 stars is from my site I had to walk out to the field for wifi reception. With no Verizon cell service, not sure if others did, I needed to comunicate with family.

John Carpentier Coon Rapids, MN

Highly recommended family spot

Right off county road and next to the river. The bathrooms and shower facilities are very basic, but the showers are nice and warm. There is a great playground area and a horseshoe pit play area. There is a public access point to the river, adjacent to the park. Lots of big shade trees throughout the camp sites, perfect for hammocks. The spot is very quiet, according to all of our kids. There are electric camp sights camps available. Prices are very reasonable. If you like to wake up and walk a few steps to fish, canoe, paddle board or swim, then this park is a dream come true.

Good place to stop

Sites are decent size, drove in and got a site, no reservation.

Nice

Great park for kids and for adults to relax. Decently priced.

Decorah’s Best

As Luther College alumni, hubby and I have been coming here for years. The location is perfect, scenic and with lots of recreational opportunities close by…hiking, biking, fishing, canoeing, etc. Grounds and facilities are clean and well maintained. Truly an idyllic spot.

Pilot knob is AMAZING!

Pilot knob state park is a great place for a week long stay or just a few hours!

The camp ground is on the smaller side but it’s clean and there is a play ground! There is the town of Forest City just a few miles away and it has pretty much everything you need for a stock up for your next adventure!!

Great experience!

We tent camped here and loved it. We were able to do a lot of trail exploring and had a great time on the “scenic” cave tour. The trails were well maintained but difficult to understand in some places as signage was lacking.

There is a primitive loop with pit toilets, a tent loop with no electricity but access to showers and flush toilets, and a trailer loop with all accommodations.

There are great cold water trout streams that are shallow enough to wade in and play in if the weather is warmer. Hiking trails of varying skill levels but all in mostly wooded areas. Forestville townsite is closed during the week but you can wander around the outside of the buildings and site. No gates or posted restrictions.

Beautiful State Park

We stayed here over Memorial weekend and had a blast--there were so many fun things to do! We hiked, took trout fishing lesson, sat at the beach and had relaxing evenings by the fire. If you can give up electricity for a couple days I think the best sites are along the water. Theres a slow flowing spring fed river running behind site 70 (and a couple sites on either side of it) that have paths down to the water where you can sit and fish or just enjoy the sound of the water running past. There are 2 campgrounds at this State Park and the older one where we stayed will unfortunately be closed for the 2020 camping season for renovations.

Good fishing

Good fishing on the lake nice campground

Beautiful and remodeled

Such a beautiful place to camp! The park is clean and kept up nicely! Brand new bathrooms, nice beach and fishing, great hiking trails. Lots of pretty wildflowers throughout it. Would definitely go back!

Wonderful place to go

I3rd got a few awesome things to see. Hiking trails. Picnic area. We have gone a grew times a year and love it!

Peace in the city

This campground is just across the river from East Park, a very large part in Mason city. The river flows through the park and there are several, maybe 5 playgrounds in the park. The campground is also next door to the city pool.

Great place to camp

The wife love their shower ,beautiful lake, going back again this year,