Equestrian
About Ann Lake - Sand Dunes State Forest
Ann Lake - Sand Dunes State Forest is located in Minnesota
6 Reviews of Ann Lake - Sand Dunes State Forest
Group site nicely secluded

Reserved the group campsite and had no regrets about the weekend. My only wish was easier water access. To get to the beach was a decent trek but nothing that's impossible. Fairly worn path that winds through the woods. Had a few hikers wander through our campsite but nothing that was extremely annoying. Would definitely reserve again for a large group of campers again.

Beautiful area, campsite not kept up

Pros: Wonderful State Park. Great beach access, easy to find. Multiple group sites. Lots of trees great for hammock camping. Neighbors were quiet. Great biking around the grounds for youth.

Cons: We arrived after sundown and in the morning, we realized we wouldnt have picked the site if we would have seen all the problems with it. Broken glass under picnic table, grill on fire pit was broken, one half of the bench is about to give way. Also, toilets were yucky. Bring baby wipes and hand sanitizer!

That being said, I would assume not all sites are like that. Just give it a good look before you setup! We were at Site 30.

Best rustic campground in the area

Have stayed at this campground numerous times and will stay again. Love that it's only an hour from the metro area! Very rustic campground, clean facilities, and water spigots throughout. Really enjoy how quiet it is!

Rustic & Family Friendly

This is a great little rustic campground within an hour's drive of the Twin Cities! It has several potable water sources throughout the campground, but no running water for toilets or showers. There are several vault toilets. Each campsite has a picnic table and a fire ring. You can buy firewood & ice at the Sand Dunes Stop gas station, just a 10 minutes drive away.

This is a first-come, first-served campground, so no reservations required. This does mean that there is a chance you won't be able to get a site, but I've only had that happen one time when I got there at 6pm on a Saturday. There are usually sites available.

I love going to this campground - it's family friendly, and there is a swimming beach a quick 3 minute drive away! The hiking trails aren't half bad, either! I love coming here to relax for a weekend, spend some time at the beach, and just enjoy nature. If you go in the early to mid summer, you'll also hear local whip-poor-wills serenade you to sleep.

Overall, 4 stars. The only downsides are no running water and no ice & firewood at the campground itself.

Nice Rustic Campground

This campground is on a first come, first serve basis. There are no reservations for the regular sites (although I do think they might take reservations for the equestrian and group sites).

I highly recommend the walk-in-sites for the most private tent camping experience. The walk from the car isn’t far, but the sites are off the road and in the pines. If you like to have your car at your site, you’ll find some sites with nice long driveways that can accommodate multiple cars, or even a truck with a boat/trailer. The beach is nice and private, but it’s a bit of a hike from the campsites. I’d recommend just hopping in the car and driving over if you’ve got young kids with you.

There is no store or firewood sold at the campground, so you’ll have to haul your own in from an approved vendor.

Wonderful campground

The campground is great, and in a beautiful area. However there is a ton of trash throughout the forest. Also a large amount of poison ivy, which I dont mind as much as I did the trash