Pets Unknown
About Goldie the Caboose in the Woods

COVID note: We are using proper cleaning products and disposable dishware as extra precautions for COVID. We hope this makes you feel more at ease. This caboose has 1 full sized bed for 2 adults (up to 2 small children welcome, but please provide bedding for them). It has air conditioning and heat as well as hot and cold running water, shower and flush toilet  The year is 1905…Take a step back to a time when the Duluth Missabe Railroad existed. When wooden cabooses still ran the tracks and people still used them for safety on the railroad. Goldie was born in 1905, remodeled by the DMIR(Duluth Missabe Iron Rail) in 1911, and had her last run on the tracks in 1968, but has since been brought back to life after many years of neglect. Found in Ely MN and brought to our house in 2014 for repair, she's nested in the woods on our property, just steps from an old railroad bed that was used by a lumber mill many years ago. While staying true to what a wooden caboose should be, we've updated her just a little bit so that staying here is more comfortable than it might have been for her workers so long ago. She now has a shower with a skylight and hot and cold running water, a flush toilet, small appliances, hidden tv& DVD player(just in case, but not so obvious), hand sink, air conditioning/heat and a full sized bed. Oh yes, and for those lovely evenings, a fire pit and picnic table nested in the trees behind. Since the roof is made of metal, and if you are lucky enough to get some rain while you are here, the sound on that roof will lull you to sleep!  Our house is on the property, but Goldie is out of sight, in the woods, giving her a great deal of privacy. She's about fifty yards from the main house. There is an entrance with stairs on the front side to get in, and more stairs on the back for private access to the fire ring. Motion lights will help you navigate the stairs, but only stay on a short time. Near the fire ring behind the caboose, there is a trail that runs alongside the marsh, down the length of our wooded property and pops out by the lake. And by the lake, there are Adirondack chairs and another fire ring to enjoy, if you like(please bring your own beach towels). The sunsets are gorgeous and the sun sends dappled light to the caboose as it goes down. Birds and frogs will sing to you while you enjoy the evening air. And if you visit during the spring or summer, the field of wildflowers outside her door are absolutely stunning!  Nearby: Biking on the paved Heartland Trail, hiking and camping on the North Country Trail(it goes from ND to NY), small town shopping in Dorset(with$2 ice cream and mini golf) is 3 miles away, more small town shopping and eating is 2 miles(as well as a small grocery and a donut shop). Itasca State Park is where the Headwaters of the Mississippi River is and it's only a 30 minute drive. Lots more to see within easy driving distance. The Crowe Wing River is close by and offers the chance for day trip canoeing, overnight canoeing (with free canoe camps along its route) and tubing!

Price

1 Site

Goldie the Caboose in the Woods is located in Minnesota
2 Reviews of Goldie the Caboose in the Woods
An Epic Piece of History

This was my first stay in a caboose and it was unforgettable! From the thoughtful amenities to the historical furnishings, this place really shines! The hosts, Chris and Amy, were excellent in preparing for my stay and sitting by the fire at night while listening to the loons on the lake was a great way to end the evening. The stars were out and the air was fresh! I enjoyed my morning coffee while watching native birds fly through the trees. Hearing about the history of the caboose and it’s restoration process was amazing and I definitely recommend staying in this place! Trails and parks are nearby and the hosts are very knowledgeable about the area to point you in the right direction! Take a walk down to the lake, bring a book to sit in the caboose cupola or on the comfy bed, whatever your level of activity, this place has it all!

The Perfect Place

I have stayed at many unique places while traveling over the years and this is my favorite hands down! Amy and Chris are wonderful hosts, making sure I had everything I needed before arriving. Check in was easy, and I loved ending every evening by the fire pit. Walking the trail to the lake each morning with coffee in hand is how I wish I could start every day! Their dogs are so precious and sweet, they make the perfect co-hosts:) The caboose is close to a couple of state parks and trails so day trips to places were easy.

I highly recommend staying here. It’s an experience you won’t regret and I can’t wait to come back!