About Portage Lake - Waterloo State Rec Area
Portage Lake - Waterloo State Rec Area is located in Michigan
6 Reviews of Portage Lake - Waterloo State Rec Area
Okay campsite

The campsite itself was nice. No alcohol allowed and the lake was extremely muddy and murky. Not much to do around the area.

Camping & Disc Golf

Nice mix of camping & Disc golf. The course is mowed down and easy to navigate. Picnic tables,fire ring, primitive tent sites available!

Big sites

Nice campground with lots of sites, after the weekend we had half the place to our selfs, nice big clean lake that also offers row boat rental.

Family fun

It's a large, fairly open grounds with a lot of sites. It gets pretty busy with campers, day use and other activities. Portage lake it beautiful, lots of water activity, trails and stables nearby.

Ird got all the amenities and a food vendor by the beach area lol. Overall it was a lot of fun for a several families to meet up and camp together.

Sites Small & Close, Dogs Welcome

I was very satisfied with this campground. Each site gets its own picnic table and fire pit, and there are also cabins available. The camp is dog-friendly, and has a variety of shade or sun spots, even if most of them are not level. RV's and tent-camping allowed. You can bring in your own firewood - the wood that they have for sale is not good, don't buy it; when we were there, a local family very close to the campground was selling much better wood that was older and burned better. The bathrooms are clean (well-water) and the staff is friendly. There are "host" activities for kids and adults also, the schedules are posted in the showers. The lake is clean enough to swim in, also. The sites are on the small side and grouped together; there are plenty of trees close enough together to hang a hammock but nothing I would call a forest. Good community camping; not for those who like isolation.

Good stop if you are on the road

I took a cross country road trip and kept to the southern part of Michigan. Though there is not a ton of camping in southern Michigan there are a few good spots including the Waterloo State Rec Area. I wanted to spend a couple days in Ann Arbor, but didn't want to shell out a bunch of cash for a hotel, and was over sleeping in my car, so I did some quick research and found this campsite. I stayed in theGreen lake rustic site. It was good for a couple nights and had some good hike trails to do on down time. If you are on the road and looking for close camping near Ann Arbor than I highly suggest this site. I unfortunately didn't have a lot of time to do the trails, but walked the Waterloo-Pickney trail for a few miles early my last morning at the site, and found it be very enjoyable. For it's proximity to bigger metropolitan areas this site is great!