About Loon's Haven Family Campground
Loon's Haven Family Campground is located in Maine
2 Reviews of Loon's Haven Family Campground
Perfect location-not so perfect experience

I called to book my site and explained that I had a gift card for$100. No problems just bring it with me. They charged my card for half the amount due and was told that upon arrival I could present my gift certificate and pay the rest of the amount due on my credit card. We arrived just after 2:30. Their website states that check-in time is 1:00. I also received an email a few days before our arrival which also stated arrival time at 1:00. I was told when we got there that we could not check in until 4:00. I explained that their website and email states 1:00. I was asked when I booked and told them about 2 weeks ago and she said that the check-in time had just recently changed. They could have sent that in their email, wouldn’t you think? She told me that I could pay an extra$25 to enter the campsite and use the beach while we waited. I declined. Why would I spend another$25 for less than an hour and a half? Before I left I gave them my gift certificate and credit card. The girl didn’t know how to process the GC but she would only charge the amount minus a hundred to my card and straighten the GC out when her boss came in. That was fine. We left and returned back at 4. I was given a bag with some information in it which included a menu for the Lazy Loon Cafe, which is also stated in their website that it is open daily. Come to find out it is only open Thursday-Sunday. We camped from Monday- Thursday. I’m glad I brought food! Wednesday night around 7:10 we decided to walk up to the camp store which is posted that it is open until 8pm. Wrong!!! It was closed. Friday when I went to use my credit card at home I was declined. I didn’t understand why because I knew I had plenty on there. I checked on my phone and Loons Haven had a pending amount of$100 which they charged to my card the day we left. So anyway I gave Loons Haven a call and explained the matter to the girl. She said well I can give you a gift card for the$100. Nope, not what I want. What would be the point of that??? So I can always carry a Loons Haven gift card around. I wanted it to be used for this trip. She said she would look into and get back to me right away. 3 1/2 went by so I called and they informed me that they did credit it back to my card but it would take 2-3 days. What an inconvenience. I got an“I’m sorry” but not a“how can we make this right for you?” I do have to say that all in all we had a wonderful time. The site we had was perfect and the campground is immaculate. Trickey pond is extremely clean and beautiful. For that I would return but with the experience I had I just may reconsider.

Cleanest Pond in Maine

The family went to Loon’s Haven this weekend (Thurs-Sun) and had a blast. This campground has the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen while camping. The pond is crystal clear and we boated over to one of the small islands to find a rope swing which provided entertainment and memories for my children. There is also a bigger rope swing directly across the pond from the beach but I wouldn’t recommend taking children under 13 to it because you have to get on a platform and you have to clear many rocks before letting go. The campground is on the small side with no chance of getting lost and has mostly seasonal campers there. The only problem with that is they feel entitled to scream “slow down” at you when going 6-7 mph on the 5 mph road. I get it, there are kids around but to scream at strangers coming in is a little much. I gave it a 4 star rating because I feel they could have more activities throughout the day and they don’t have any (from what I could tell) during the week. No pool but a cute little beach which fills up fast. Nice playground and the store/canteen has great food and great prices compared to other campgrounds we’ve been to. Curfew for kids to be on their site is 10pm. Beware- if you need to go into town make sure you get a card to get back in the gate! They close it down at 8pm and my husband and I could not get back in! They never even offered me a key card at check in. Overall we really liked the campground and had a good time.