Bangor, MAINE

Most Recent Bangor Camping Reviews
Perfect.

Review for Blackwoods campground.

We trekked up from Rhode Island to Acadia and had every intent on staying at seawall. However, once we made the 7 hour drive, we decided to stay somewhere a little closer to where we intended on hiking. Blackwoods campground is a wonderful option for those of you interested in hanging around bar harbor or hiking the Beehive trail. The campground itself is wonderfully cared for and we were very pleased to be able to come right in without a reservation. It gets super busy on weekends and in season so a reservation is suggested. Bathrooms are clean, there is a dish water dump station, potable water sources throughout and dumpsters to keep trash out of your site. You also cant beat that public transportation (thanks LL Bean!) It allows you to keep the car at the site if you want and pick up a bus at pretty much all trailheads. The rangers at Blackwoods were very knowledgable and friendly. Thanks for a perfect couple of days, Acadia!

Gear Review of Morsel at Blackwoods Campground

If you guys have read my other reviews, generally i get gear that i never really would have gotten otherwise. Dont get me wrong, its always amazing stuff, but this was the first practical review i have conducted where i have truly felt like “where the heck has this been my whole life??”

These hyper-utensils are not just a spork. They are a fork, spoon, knife and serving spoon, or chili stirrer, or package opener. This was truly the only thing we needed as far as utensils went, and all four of us were very happy. My husband is a chef and makes some pretty elaborate camping meals. These morsels held up and threw down. And (perhaps most importantly) they were a breeze to clean!! I will be getting more in the future, i am five star pleased with this wonderful product. Get your own here- available in two sizes! https://morselspork.com

Typical but nice National Park campground

Fairly typical national park campground. Two huge loops; sites varied in size; some were clearly for tents only as they had huge boulders that separated the driveway area from the rest of the campsite. Ours was site A46 and was a large pull-through. Easy access to the bathroom which was clean. I thought there were enough trees to separate the sites and provide privacy. Generators are annoying but their allowable hours are limited. Unusual that there were windows in the bathroom, and you could see into the handicapped stall from the windows! No showers, no hookups, no hot water. I did like the“drain” for dishwater– I’ve never seen one like this before. It was located just outside of the bathrooms in the A Loop. The biggest plus to this campground is access to the Cadillac Mountain trail, a challenging but rewarding hike! Also, as a senior, can't beat the price of $15 per night!

Acadia

We stayed here 2 nights going to Acadia last summer. No issues, but can’t remember much about it.

Quick stay

Stayed here going to Acadia. Didn’t spend much time here. Did have a wheel bearing go out on the trailer, and some folks at the park were helpful in finding parts and offering tools.

Very nice campground for both small RV's and tents

Beautiful campground located on the water. Clean, hot showers ($1.00 for 5 minutes) a gathering place with free wi-fi, coffee and pastries for sale, kayaks for rent and many other amenities. Campers over 20 feet are not allowed. The sites are large however the terrain is difficult to navigate. There is NO dump station located at the campground however a few miles down the road, there is a campground that allows you to use theirs for a $20.00 fee.

Not my favorite

To be honest, I think $30 is a little much for a campground that doesn’t have much amenities. Also, there isn’t any privacy for the sites. We could see our neighbors in every direction from our site. It is close to some Acadia attractions and hikes, so this made it worth it.

Decent National park camping

In my opinion this campground was much nicer than sea wall, which is also in the national park. This campground was nice, but there isn’t much privacy in the spots. The campground has access to some hikes, which is nice. You can hike to Cadillac mountain from here and you can also go to the ocean side.

Best place to stay to explore Bar Harbor & Acadia NP.

Very nice kept grounds, FHU, spacious sites. Friendly staff, and a great home for exploring the area. We stayed 2 weeks and wished it could have been longer.

Beautiful Scenery

We booked the Anchor site at Somes Sound View Campground and absolutely loved the Campground and the site. The site was waterfront - definitely worth the extra money, gorgeous views and plenty of space to spread out our two tents and food prep/cooking area. There isn’t a ton of privacy, as there are 2 other sites in the area, but plenty of trees to section off the sites. The Campground has a clean bathhouse, paddleboats and kayaks (for a fee), staff is very friendly. Definitely recommend this campground.

Decent campground in a lovely area

Overall, this is a nice campground set in a slightly wooded area. It’s fairly close to the ocean, so you can hear waves crashing against the rocky cliffs if it’s quiet enough. The sites are decently spacious, and the campground is generally quiet. Privacy between sites is lacking here - there are some sites that have a little bit of privacy between neighboring sites, and some have none at all.

As for facilities– there are restrooms in the campground, but no shower houses. The shower house is located in a separate facility about a mile from the campground entrance. A bit inconvenient, but not terrible.. however, I will still never understand why a campground would go to the effort of plumbing in flush toilets and sinks, but not go the extra step and install showers, even cold outdoor ones. (Plus, the showers in the separate facility up the road are expensive.) Also, the restrooms in the campground are on ground level, and the two outer restroom stalls in each men's and women's room have windows in them that don't have privacy glass- someone walking by can see RIGHT in them. So unless you are fine with people potentially seeing you go to the bathroom, there are only 3 stalls available in each building, not 5. It's so weird, and a problem that Blackwoods has as well.

Final thoughts- I enjoyed my stay here, and would stay here again given the chance! But, the facilities could use improvement.

High end RV park with excellent amenities

11day trip to visit Maine ,Acadia National Park Campground nicely located close to park but away from much of the crowding

No frills, but perfect location!

We spent 3 nights here while hiking and sightseeing Acadia. There aren’t hookups and generator time is limited. We made our reservations about 6 months in advance. The location is ideal because there’s a bus stop at the campground to get access to the entire park. The campground also sits at the trailhead for Cadillac South Ridge, which we hiked. The restrooms were clean and the campground was very quiet considering it was 4th of July week.

Loved the peace & quiet of the Schoodic Peninsula!

When we made the decision to visit Acadia National Park, I blindly made a reservation for a site at one of the campgrounds, not really paying attention to where specifically in the park the campground was located. The Schoodic Woods Campground is located on the Schoodic Peninsula, which is east of Mt. Desert Island. It’s still within Acadia National Park but is located outside Winter Harbor and is not near Bar Harbor like the majority of the park. At first I was a little bummed we were about an hour away from the main part of the park, but my mood immediately changed once we arrived. Oh my goodness, if you’re looking to connect w/the wonders of Acadia & avoid the crowds, stay here! It was amazing & the lack of light pollution at night made the star-gazing spectacular! There’s biking, hiking, a ferry that runs seasonally to Bar Harbor, and quaint harbor communities nearby. We loved it!

Awesome Location on the Coast of ME

We only stayed one night here but we loved the proximity to the village of Camden and the hiking trails near our site.

Outstanding campground

This campground was the nicest one I’ve been to so far, facilities were incredible clean and accessible. The campground itself was at the hub of many major trail heads so it was perfect for hiking, site-seeing or just taking a trip into bar harbor! The site neighbors an incredibly clean shower house stocked with fire wood and ice

Can’t say enough!

Just spent a week here and we can not say enough good things about it. I’ll start with the staff. They were exceptional in every way. Very friendly, including the children who seemed to be working there, and very responsive to any questions we had. The facilities were immaculate. Cleanest and most well designed bathrooms of any campsite we’ve been to, and we’ve been to a lot. The sites are all very private and secluded and the quiet hours were well observed. Due to our late booking we ended up at site C44. I was a little worried I would be disappointed not being at one of the waterfront/water view site but once we arrived we soon realized that every site at this campground is special in its own way. With that said, we will try for one of the waterfront sites next year but don’t be disappointed if they are not available. Even though this campground is not directly in Acadia you are no more than a 15min drive to any of the sites in the park. We were able to explore the park by day and enjoy the campgrounds at night. Our only regret is that we didn’t have more time to spend at the campground. The kids loved crabbing of the floating dock and riding bikes around the campgrounds all day. Bikes are a must. If you’re planning a visit to Acadia (which is well worth a visit) make Mount Desert Campground your home base. You won’t be sorry. Oh I almost forgot the amazing local ice cream served nightly at the meeting place. Don’t miss it.

First come first served

This camp has breathtaking ocean views from your campsite, when you’re camping in a site with a view. Unfortunately the camp is first come, first served, they don’t take reservations. Overall, the camp is very spacious with great views, I will be camping in this campground now and in the future.

One of my favorites.

Is a first come first serve campground. Show up find an empty spot. Pay for it and it’s yours. I first had a tent space facing the ocean36$. Very close to the Pool for one night. Next morning I found an electric and water spot $40 close by and moved. Had great bathroom with clean showers near by that cost 25$ for 5 minutes. After 4 days and my tanks were full. I found a full hook with sewer $46 and moved for the next week. It was a very nice two weeks. Thy also have clean laundry for cheap. It was a very nice campground close to Arcadia NP and the town of Bar Harbor, ME. Plenty of activities around, I enjoyed the whale watching and sunset on Cadillac Mountain.

Very nice, quiet, clean park

This place is excellent! The staff are friendly, the park is quiet, clean, well maintained and spacious. If you are planning on staying around Bangor, this is the place!

Small and Quiet

We stayed here 8/24-8/26/2019 Nice small campground with the lake and lake side camping available No WiFi or cable hook up and sewer hooks are limited but we liked it

Best small campground I've been to in 18 years.

Clean,quiet,very well taken care of,great staff,very helpful,huge sites,absolutely loved this place!

Excellent place with lots of special details

I will say that my preferred camp site is one that is heavily wooded, where I can hardly see my neighbors and where I have some view of something impressively beautiful. I have a small camper and two young kids so on long camp trips I appreciate a place with RV hook-ups. This place may not offer a heavily wooded area where I can't see my neighbors but it makes up for it for everything else it offers. It's right on the ocean, it has gardens and secret nooks where you can sit and make a fire. It has a beautiful art studio. It has a play room and play ground that kept my children entertained for hours so I could read. The other campers were so pleasant that I had no issues with being close to them. I had the lobster dinner they offered and it was excellent. I will come back again.

Fantastic

Amazing campground with huge spots and clean bathrooms. Easy pick up spot for the Schoodic bus line. No hot water of showers. Great nightly ranger programs. Easy access to trails and bike paths.

Great views

Older campground that is being redone and updated. Fantastic views from many of the spots. Great location to get to both parts of Acadia. Good food within walking distance (bbq and seafood and ice cream at neighboring local spots). Friendly campground owners who will answer any questions you have!

Beautiful location

This campground has a gorgeous view of the lake. A great place to fish for bass and yellow perch. The campground was very rustic and quiet. Bathroom electrical outlet did not work. The Owner was extremely pleasant and helpful. A lot of water activities available for families. A very nice place to go to relax.

Fantastic family camping!

We had so much fun at this campground. So many many things to do for kids. The swimming pool was awesome as well as the water slides. The fireworks on July 4th could match Disney World! Wonderful place to camp!

Spot 18

Spot 18 is perfect! The view is spectacular. The campground is small and very quiet. There are clean bathrooms and showers available. There is a quaint little store that has anything you could need or anything you might have left at home. Along with firewood and the regular stuff they have kayaks for renting. The owners can give you all sorts of wonderful recommendations for restaurants and destinations around town.

Quiet but a little rough

Bass Harbour Campground is on the “quiet” side of Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park. It is only a 10-15 minute walk to the Bass Harbour Lighthouse which is still a US Coast Guard facility.

When we were there this summer, the campsites were not mowed and weeds waist high surrounded our sit and there was a small swamp behind us. Thank goodness the Thermocells worked well.

The site does have a heated pool and decent showers and toilet facilities. There are sections for RV’s as well as tents, pop ups and trailers.

There is an island shuttle that comes and stops at the campground to take you to different places on the island including the National Park.

Southwest Harbour is the closest “town” and is quaint with some shopping, gas, food, etc.

Since it is on the quiet side of the island, nothing is close so prepare to drive 25-30 min to get anywhere.

However the park and island is absolutely beautiful. The rugged coastline is something to behold. Lots of trails to hike, along with the carriage trails which are kept immaculate.

Great place

Really nice campground. Friendly group of people.

Beautiful Campground

Very very great staff!! Upon arrival we checked in, in the office/store. Then a staff member lead us to our site. We have a 19 ft travel trailer and are not very experienced with backing it up. The staff member was incredible with his directions and helped me back it into a small lot that went down hill and around a corner. I could have hugged him. He was so great and patient with me. The lot was small but was right on the ocean. It was such a beautiful spot. This was the second time we have stayed here and I know we will be back!!