Camping in Dunul

296 Reviews of 109 Dunul, Colorado Campgrounds

Abigaile J.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2021

Greatest experience!

Me and my friend got the chance to experience the first ray of sunlight in the morning as we camped near the dunes early this month! Perfect weather and experience!

• the view from the grounds!
SiteSand Dunes Recreational
Jeanie P.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2021

UFO's and camping

Interesting stop for a night. We just did a day trip here to see the UFO watch tower and alien trinket garden but decided not to camp as it was a super hot afternoon and there's no shade. The campsites are just on a flat dirt lot, there's tables, grills and firepits in each site and porta potties…

Greg R.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2021

Great for overnight, crowded

We love the place, some people took up a lot of space and blocked areas. Verizon was good 2-3 bars with LTE. Some gnats, had to go up a mile or so, to get a spot...1

• east
  • south
  • southwest
Site15ish
Fabe D.
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2021

Colorado Atlantis

The campground is really just a parking lot overlooking the lake. The view is very nice though and so is the reliable breeze. Don’t bank on the showers working, they were not in-op when we visited.

• chilly enough for Cookie to grab her jacket!
Siteupper loop, 031
Emma H.

do overflow tent!!!!!!!!!

We stayed in site 16 overflow tent on Wednesday 6/2, and it was great out there. I'm so glad we didn't go for the regular tent, because the views are all blocked by shrubs!! It was far better to be in overflow in my opinion. We also asked for certain site preferences and they gave us our…

• you can see how close we are to others in this picture. Fairly close but it was quiet enough.
  • great views from our site
Site16 OT
J

Alien Watch Tower

Really cool place! Beautiful night sky. The owners are very interesting snd friendly people.

Site# 9
PThe Dyrt PRO User

South Fork Gem

Great place for full hook up spots in South Fork. They also have great trails close that you can drive to via atv or ohv's. Wonderful views all around from our campsites! Great mom and pop business that is reasonably priced.

• View behind spot #3
  • View to side of spot #3
  • View behind spot #3
KThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2021

Beautiful Views

I wasn't expecting to pay a fee, since it's managed by BLM. The fees were humble, though. $11 a night for a single camper. The campgrounds were great. I was able to get in early and pick a good site. Table and fire pit on site. Bathrooms in walking distance, and seemed to be well kept. They do seem…

SiteSite 11
Marie W.
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2021

Very WINDY! BYO water

I wouldn't make a point to come back but wouldn't avoid it. We camped here for proximity to the sand dunes, obviously, which I'm sure is the goal of those of you reading this review.

The road driving up is about 20-30 mins and pretty rough/bumpy. All sorts of cars made it, just know your…

Blair S.
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2021

Don’t trust Dyrt directions

I’m sure there is beautiful camping in the area because it’s gorgeous out here, but after having to camp high up on an extremely rocky trail, I learned 2 lessons:

1. Don’t enter at night
  2. Don’t trust directions via Dyrt + Google Maps
l
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Free with fishing/hunting license

Pretty much tree-less, but picnic tables have shade structures. Windy. Great place to watch sunrise over the great sand dunes and mountains.

• sunrise from the campground
Month of VisitApril
J
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Give it a shot!

The sites are very simple with a fire ring and a table. There is absolutely no shade and you're essentially in a big dirt parking spot. Don't let that put you off though! The area was very clean and although it's right off the highway the camping spots are tucked far enough away to where it's no…

• AstroCat sculpture in the "Garden"
  • UFO watchtower
DThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 26, 2021

Solitude and Beauty

Great campground! There was only 1 other campsite occupied on the Tuesday night we were there. I highly recommend taking a hike up to cathedral rock from the campground. This campground had the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen. The road in is long, all gravel, extremely scenic. You don’t need…

C
Reviewed May. 26, 2021

Solid Campsite

Camped here after visiting the sand dunes. Fire pit and picnic table was nice, and having a bathroom nearby was also helpful. Not much to use for fire making so be sure to bring firewood if staying here.

WThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 23, 2021

Crowded and cramped

If you're jammed up for a place (Sand Dunes CG fills fast), decent overnight. But nothing else to recommend. A mile up the hill has nice views but is rocky and difficult to find a level spot. Would not return unless I had to.