Avondale, COLORADO
Most Recent Avondale Camping Reviews
Wonderful stay

This campground was very nice. The camp host was very friendly and helpful. All of the campsites are beautiful.

Perfect RV getaway spot!

Great service and beautiful sites. From the moment we blew the first stop sign, sorry management, until the time we checked into the office they were awesome! We were so excited for our vacation we showed up 4 hours early for our reservation, and they had us in ASAP! Thanks y’all! The gentleman that backed us in and shared some secrets to the fishing in the area was very cool. We are loving it and can’t say enough, oh and the view is beautiful!

Easy to get to.

Easy park to get to, right off hwy 115, in Colorado Springs. The camp sites are decent. Tent, drive in, walk in drive through sites.

Easy access and quiet

My grandson and I stayed there in June for 4 days in a 34ft travel trailer in a pull thru long enough not to have to unhook. The sites were large and plenty of room for my slideout and not too close to next site. About 30 min from Pueblo and 30 from Canon City on Hwy 50 just east of Hwy 115 Full hookup and good WiFi Also had 30 OTA channels. Beautiful sunsets of the mountains Hwy 50 close by but traffic was not loud enough to disturb us Horses on the property as well as a swimming pool and very friendly staff Very nice experience and only 40 min from Colorado Springs or Royal Gorge.

Rad

Loved it! Highly recommend all wheel, as some sites are rocky and/or steep, but don’t let your sedan stop you—you’ll have options. The place has eyes— but not mean ones. Very likely wildlife (or phantoms? Eek!) and the bears were my main concern, though I didn’t see one in the flesh. Saw old tracks at my campsite, saw waaaay too much scat when hiking around, and in the morning, though I hadn’t seen or heard anybody, there were extremely fresh tracks leading from the stream on the bank. I had my dog and bear spray with me so I felt secure, but in hindsight, maaaybe should consider extra precautions! Like more people or a firearm… still, it’s a special place and I highly recommend it. I went midweek with the express intent of avoiding other humans, which worked for the most part. Saw some humans but campsites are really private and the place feels just wild. Which I dig. Just be careful with your tasty foods! I keep my trash in a separate cooler to minimize the smell— not sure if it works but it feels safer. Lots of birds, no other critters. Probably because of ALL THE BEARS. 🙂

Quick and easy

We went into the San Isabel National Forest and could not find a spot. We down the mountain off hwy 165 we found this spot. It was a one night trip and our only complaint was the highway noise.

Beautiful views!

Great campsite for my family with sites far enough apart for comfort and a great view. There is so much to do around there for the kiddos. We went to the zoo, which is pricy, but I highly recommend. There are several playground as well throughout the park.

Great campsite

It was a great campsite, have to use fire pits provided. Alcohol is allowed pets are allowed on leash. And most camp sites are within walking distance to the water. Kids loved it! It was cheap to reserve a site ($20+) and entry fee is like $8.

Side of the mountain side

Sites share a power pole but still not so close as some places. 🚿 Showerhouse & bathhouse was clean and handicap accessible. Museum on site was small but interesting. Friendly, helpful staff.

So clean!

We just left campsite 531 at Kettle Creek Loop! Our 3 kids loved playing around the little inlet of water and the playground was not too far! Very clean vault toilets close to that campsite and a bigger bathroom by the playground with showers! It’s a rocky tent pad so bring a footprint and sleeping pads. Shade provided over picnic table blocking the evening sun- it’s pretty sunny in the am but nice! It was HOT while we were there but it cooled off at night. Bring a shade tent! We will Be back!

Beautiful spot, mainly tent camping

I came into Phantom Canyon from highway 50. I had read a few reviews that had me concerned. Maybe those people don't get out a lot. The road is in good shape. I drove my long bed, 4 door truck and towed a 15 foot pop-up camper. No worries at all. The road is wash-board here and there but nothing major. Plenty of room and where the road narrows a bit to 1 1/2 lanes, there are plenty of pull-offs. The tunnels are single lane, but plenty wide enough for anything to get through. There is nice camping near the creek at 9.3 miles and 11.3 miles from highway 50. But know that you will not get your camper or trailer down there. And you need an awd or 4 wheel drive with good clearance. Rocks, steep drives to these camping spots. This is a canyon where tent camping is king. There are numerous camping spots closer to the road where you can camp. There are numerous bridges, but THE bridge is at about 13.7 miles into the canyon, again from highway 50. High, long and winding bridge that is red. On the other side of the bridge, the road narrows considerably and is indeed one lane in many places. I was quite comfortable and again, there are lots of pull-outs where one driver can pull over or back up a little bit. On a Saturday around noon I only passed 4ish cars and there was no issue.  Beautiful canyon.

Unique

I tend to avoid RV campgrounds because I think they are usually crowded and a bit loud. Although our neighbors were rather loud, the campground was a cool place. It’s $30+tax for a night with a tent. The fire pits do not have grates and the bathrooms are just port a potties. You have to buy firewood from the hosts, they won’t let you burn wood that you bring in yourself. They do give you a little more for just $5 than most places. There is a swimming pool and hot showers. The dirt road to the campground is very easily accessible.

Underrated Family Fun

Pueblo State Park is so underrated. We booked with on a few weeks notice so worried about how good the park and our spot would be. We weren’t really close to the water and Pueblo isn't known for having much tree coverage. But to our surprise, our spot was wonderful and we really enjoyed the park.

**camping hack: pull up google maps and check out your spot from an overhead view to make sure the site orientation works with your set-up. Pictures don’t always do it justice.  The majority of sites at Juniper Breaks have the picnic table and fire ring on the drivers side of your vehicle (if you back in). We have young kids so wanted to be able to see the door of our camper if the kids came out after bedtime while the parents were still up.

Our site was in great shape and was really level which made setting up our old pop-up camper a breeze. The bathrooms were as great as vault toilets can be and there were water pumps by all of the bathrooms. The rangers were really helpful even though we got threatened with a ticket for parking on the gravel at our site. There’s lots of extra parking by the bathrooms for day visitors too.

We took our kids (2, 5, & 7) to the junior ranger class they host at the visitor center almost every Saturday. They learned about boat safety and got free sunglasses and emergency whistles. My 7 year old niece finished her ranger booklet and got a junior ranger badge, which she loved.

We spent some time fishing but didn’t catch anything but our site we hiked to was secluded and nice. The lake is so big, there are plenty of spots to hide out and fish at. There is also a swim beach nearby…it was too cold when we were there to justify swimming.

Family spot!

Family has been coming for years. The family has property in Colorado city and we still love to come to local mountain! Great fishing, clean, quiet, & plenty of space

If you boat it's great!

This is a great campground if you have a boat and want to hang out on the water. Pretty good fishing. There is little to no shade at this campground and it gets wicked hot in the summer. The bathrooms and showers are great and the area has a lot of wildlife and bird watching.

Beautiful!

Well maintained, beautiful sites!

Great area for camping and hiking

There are several spots for tent camping in the Smith Creek Campground. Great area to hike and climb. Great stream that runs most of the year.

Rustic Cabin

National forest cabin that is affordable. Very rustic with no water and only one outlet. Cabin has an outhouse that is fifty feet from cabin. Located in a great area with San Isabel lake and Bishops castle near by. Lots of hiking and off roading near by. Two bedrooms upstairs and day bed down. Interesting history to the cabin, read about it before you go.

Super peaceful campsite

Definitely a hidden gem. This spot had a tiny stream, fire pit, and ample amounts of privacy

Chill “closed” campground

Has fire rings and picnic tables. Closed for good, apparently because of bears, but far down the road so it’s very unlikely you’ll be bothered

Closed

It is no longer a campground.

Great but $$

This is a great smaller campground in the Lake Pueblo State Park. Lots of juniper trees and a natural like setting around the sites. Didnt seem to have as many camp sites either, which is nice for some of us folks. Dont think there was water in any sites, and there was no water in the bathrooms and no shower. There is a drinking water spigot near the bathrooms. For the price, $22 a night, and having to use the other campgrounds shower facilities, plus no running water in bathrooms, it seemed a bit steep per night. The lake shore was a short distance from our camp, but for some camps you would need to go through other sites to get to the lake. Or use the day use and fishing access areas. Cliffs and drop offs are surrounding the lake, so caution and look for paths to be able to get to the shoreline. The firepit has the grill attached, so if planning to use charcoal plan accordingly, it is far away from the bottom of the pit to the grill. Fairly hard to cook on. Had to pile charcoal on wood coals, and still were too far from grill. Very popular on weekends and holidays. Every site was taken but then almost completely cleared out on Tuesday. Again weather was not all sunshine and rainbows, but the cover, trees, and topography of camp helped keep the wind at a more tolerable levels for us. Great spot, views, really liked our site!

Nice but could be better

Huge campground with multiple areas within. We were in Yucca Flats. Which was nice, but very open. Not much cover anywhere, maybe 1 tree or large bush per site? There is running water in the bathrooms, which is super great, and each individual bathroom has a shower, which is good and bad. No bathrooms when everyone is trying to shower, and not many hooks for your items or a place to keep things dry while you shower, and when you shower it's a button you push continuously apx every 30 seconds or the water stops. But nice that you don't have to pay for a shower, and that there is hot running water. Also no soap for handwashing at sinks, which was eghh? We had a great time even with the weather was all over the place. The access to the lakeside water can be a bit tricky. Look for small trails that lead down to the lake. Lots of cliff spots and drop offs. But the fishing was good, better when you get on the water via paddleboard or boat. Seemed to be very popular for Memorial Day Weekend!

Nice but could be better

no very cool if you live here

this is a very nice andbwell maintained park

Single night camping fix

Cheyenne Mountan State Park is remarkably close to Colorado Springs, which makes it perfect for a quick getaway…. if you can score reservations. This park fills up fast!

We felt lucky to score a reservation for a pull-through Site (#56) at The Meadows Campground. This level, open, unshaded site offered nice views of Cheyenne Mountain and the lights of Colorado Springs. However it did leave us a bit exposed the wind. Next time we'll try to score one of the more sheltered sites on the opposite side of the loop. The firepits had high sides so our campfire was more immune to the gusty weather than we were.

The rangers in this park are very friendly. In fact, as we were cooking dinner, one came around and offered us a mini-class on the hummingbirds that live in the park. Wished we would have had time to stop by the visitor center to learn more about the local flora and fauna.

As runners, we loved the easy access to trails and you can earn a patch for exploring all 21 miles of trails throughout the park. Mountain bikers seemed to be having a ton of fun out there too.

Always a plus… The bathrooms have flush toilets and were super clean and well stocked.

A lovely first-time camping experience

This was the first place my husband and I (and our dog!) went camping in our adult lives. We decided to try a site that we could reserve first before diving into dispersed camping, and since we'd been hiking here the week prior, we thought we'd give it a shot. Reserving our spot online was super easy, and I REALLY liked the little map that allowed you to see which campsites were already taken - we were able to choose one that was relatively secluded. You do need to reserve ahead of time, but there was a number you could call on our campsite post in the event that you drove up to one at the last minute in order to make your reservation. We did see a park ranger drive by at one point just to check on things.

Getting there was incredibly easy (note that if you don't have an annual CO state parks pass, you'll need to pay a fee for that at the gate in addition to reserving your spot). Lake Pueblo State Park in general is not well-shaded, and the campsites were no exception, but we knew that going in. Each site at Juniper Breaks has a fire ring, tent spot, and a picnic table-with shade over the table. The sites aren't super close together, you can see each other but I felt like we had privacy and everyone was polite and doing their own thing. It was a quick walk to the bathrooms, which were clean and stocked with toilet paper. There was also a water pump outside. The campsite is sort of close to a road so we could hear the cars going by at night occasionally (but as this was our first time camping, we didn't mind!!)

Juniper Breaks isn't right next to any trails, so you'll have to drive to access them if you hike or bike. Definitely worth it, there are some FANTASTIC and really cool trails here! There was a little parking lot in the campground that people with kayaks kept pulling up to, so I think there's a spot to launch your boat (but don't know any details about this).

All in all, we had a really nice, quiet time. A great first camping experience in a great park!

Beautiful place, but a bear came right into our campsite!

Overall: Phantom Canyon Road is a beautiful, peaceful location, but a bear came directly into our campsite!

Directions: Very easy to find and clearly marked. There are several signs warning you not to continue on if your vehicle is longer than 25 feet. The dirt road is twisty with several washboard sections, but it's not severely rutted up. I kept it around 20 mph the whole time and was pretty shocked at how fast some people were driving. There are a lot of blind corners and narrow roads, so be careful!

Camping: We found a pull-off on the left hand side pretty soon after the second tunnel. It was a pretty deep pull-off, enough that you could see the front of our truck but not our campsite from the road. Very private and quiet! Nice and level too, with two fire pits. Super sunny and not well shaded- it was lovely in April, but I bet it gets incredibly hot in the summer. Unfortunately, there was a lot of trash when we arrived, which I did clean up. We found some bullet shells and pieces of bright orange clay, which makes me think people were shooting back there. We arrived Friday night around 6:30pm and had to drive pretty far back to find a spot, there were a lot of people camping already. I think the road went on much further too, so don't get discouraged about finding a place! As someone mentioned, there is a pit toilet, but we didn't park anywhere near enough to use it. We got NO wifi or cell service back there either (Verizon).

THE BEAR: Our campsite was backed up right next to a dried out wash. Saturday morning, we decided to explore it a little (mistake #1 - we've explored washes before but not that far into the backcountry). We didn't go back super far, just followed the rocky path. At one point we noticed A LOT, and I mean A LOT of bear scat and turned around. Our dog started barking like crazy and when we looked up, there was a giant black bear high above us on a ridge. It was turning around and clearly uninterested in us, but we hurried back to our campsite - the bear was probably less than a quarter mile away from it. A few hours later when we were hanging out at the campsite just reading (we should've left immediately), our dog started growling. We looked up and there was the bear, standing at the edge of the wash. O_O We didn't have any food or trash out (we ALWAYS keep all of that locked away in our truck unless we are actively cooking/eating). The bear wasn't acting aggressively, but it wasn't leaving either. I kept talking to it, making myself appear larger, moving slowly as we packed up and got the heck out of there (we had to take our giant awning apart while the bear watched us curiously the whole time, omg).

Just be aware if you camp here that there are bears around! Not only is it their home, but all of the trash we picked up from that campsite upon arrival makes me think that they're starting to become habituated to the area since people are so trashy (a few other reviews mention finding trash at their sites as well). I will DEFINITELY be picking up some bear spray and bringing it with me from now on. Be safe and PACK YOUR TRASH OUT!!!

Beautiful lake

Good camping sites Amazing staff

Nearby access to Gold Medal fishing on Pueblo Tailwater

Small museum in park office

Hiking, fishing, boating, bicycle paths/trails available. Lots of wildlife viewing. Friendly camp hosts.

Great place for families. There are not water hookups at sites but there is a place to fill.

Short drive to activities and they have a great little zoo nearby.

Not worth it.

The Cabins are for locals or people working in the local area and are only available for monthly rent, The tent areas are in direct sunlight with no shaded area and overpriced at $25 a night regardless of what time you check in checkouts at 11:00 am, The Bathrooms are reasonably clean, however scary hag lady comes in as if on crack running around looking like a mad woman, somewhat scary, the horse stalls are disgusting.