the dyrt
No WiFi
Homestake Campground is located in Colorado
4 Reviews of Homestake Campground
Go to Spots

These are my go to spots to get away for a day or two. The area is surround by rivers to fish, many hiking trails, backpacking and some climbing. The spots are dispersed along home stake road which runs for about 10 miles and some spots are also along Missouri Creek. The best part about this area is that it is free. Don't get confused with the FS designated campground about 7 miles down the road (Gold Park, this is a paid spot with vault toilets, fire rings and tables)

Each spot is of course unique, some are small and some large enough for RV's and trailers, though i have not seen many RV's in the area and i would not recommend it based on road width and lack of turn arounds. These spots do not have fire rings or tables, they are primitive and you will find rock rings in most areas. I highly recommend this area, it does get very busy on the weekends as its a favorite local spot. At the end of the road, roughly 10 miles, you come to a large reservoir that is good for fishing and non motorized rafts.

Homestake road is usually a easy drive and most cars will be fine on it. Like most areas in the White River National Forest, the roads will open and close based on weather. Usually this is open Mid June to Mid October.

Home Sweet Homestake

We set up our camper for a couple weeks in the best spot. It’s a little over three miles down Homestake Rd on the left next to the river and beaver dam pond. During our stay, we were woken up early in the morning by a mountain lion, saw 3 moose cross the river about 100 yards from the camper, and saw a huge mule deer buck hanging out in the bushes near the river several nights in a row. It was pretty amazing how much wildlife we ended up interacting with. It is a great fly fishing hole for little brookies. It was a really fun campsite for my daughter and dog to run around and explore. The ONLY downside to camping in this area is that is busy. There’s usually a lot of people around, and when it’s dry, the cars can create a ton of dust.

Great for larger group

We love this spot for any size group. It’s not to far from home for us so we can even get back to work the next day. No charge for camping. Fishing, hiking, climbing and biking close by. Plenty of room for pets to run. And plenty of wood for fires.

My go-to campground in the mountains

This past August was my first time experiencing this Homestake Reservoir area. Homestake Road is your gateway to a variety of off-road and primitive camping sites in the beautiful White River National Forest. We spent two nights here, each night at a different campsite. One site was just right off the road and the other was one that involved walking up the mountain onto a beautiful, scenic landing. We found one trail and spent the day ascending the gorgeous mountain, which I believe was Homestake Peak. The change in landscape ascending the mountain was one of the most beautiful sites I've ever seen. I plan on returning to this area the next several times I visit Colorado because there is too much to see and experience at the beautiful Homestake Reservoir.