Paulcell Place , ARIZONA

Most Recent Paulcell Place Camping Reviews
Great stay

Stayed here on our way from california to home. Greeter was awesome he was very very helpful. Full hookups pull through spot. Pretty level site. We did have to use washer and dryers. Almost all the washers were fictional on the other hand only 3 of 8 dryers worked. We did decide to use the showers so we could take a little longer shower and shave and not have to take a navy shower. Showers were very clean and spacious to change in. The staff the next morning was very helpful with info to have breakfast and pick up some fluids needed for vehicles. Very close to the petrified forest which is a must see, also close to meteor crater. We plan on coming back and staying here again to actually hike some of the trails in the forest.

Great for stopover

Convenient to the interstate, clean, straight forward, and easy spot to stop while traveling!

There was substantial road noise from our spot but not overwhelming and feels the price to pay for a campground so convenient to the highway.

Prices do seem a bit steep for what’s on offer.

Good 1-night stay

This was our first KOA experience and it was a great spot to stop.  We stayed one night as we were traveling cross county and this was convenient.  They have the new cabins and a very nice layout. There is not much to do close by except for the petrified forest 20+ miles away; so we decided to visit the park the day we left, I would suggest planning a 3 to 4 hour effort to drive through the park since it is a long driving self tour and you can get out and see the sites. We stayed in a full hook up, drive through, level, and the WiFi was good.  Not much road noise. They have the good ol' slide and merry go round that are had to find for kids now a days!

No services, No worried

I had my reservations about going here. I thought would see the park in 20-30 minutes. We took almost three hours to drive the 25 miles through the park. Some areas are very austere, however the OTHER areas more than make up for it. The Petrified Forest is NOT a bunch of rocks laying around. (Ok there are plenty of those too) but awe inspiring views and colors that will blow you away. Please, if you are traveling Route 66 (I-40) and you are near Holbrook AZ, you will not be disappointed.

Great view and relaxing

NOT FREE Maybe it used to be but now it is $15 a night. I camped nest to the river. What a beautiful view. Only 4 other campers when I was there. Not necessarily a place you would stay more than a few nights. Very close to the cute town of Winslow.

Perfect location

Nothing fancy but just what we needed. Staff is friendly and helpful. Sites are very close together but most seem to have some sort of tree offering some shade and every site had a picnic table. Restrooms are clean and well kept as is laundry area. Nearby the Petrified Forrest is breathtakingly gorgeous!

Great for Overnight

Stopped here last minute after visiting the petrified forest. Got there around 6PM on a Sunday and plenty of spots were available! There is a kiosk at the entrance and it is $15 for an overnight camp. Grill and picnic bench for each plot but no potable water source. Restrooms were not super nice but useable. The lake was beautiful especially during sunrise. Wouldn’t spend a whole weekend here unless you are prepared with fishing rods and a kayak, but a good place to lay our head.

Not free

Disregard that review that say “Free”, it’s $15. It’s a great spot if you’re passing through I guess. There is a pretty river flowing past. We went fishing and caught a tiny catfish. It’s a decent place. However I’m not into parking lot camping and that’s what it is. There are no trees.

BATHROOMS WERE THE WORST IVE EVER SEEN. I wouldn’t even expect that at a free campground. And trash was scattered everywhere. My whole group wondered what the money goes towards, definitely not maintenance.

Easy and quiet

We got in late so the campground was quiet but what was fascinating was that when we walked out dogs to the back of the campground toward the highway there was a whole section that blocked the highway sounds completely. No idea how that was happening but we could watch the trucks coming East and west and when they were directly in front of the campground the sounds all went silent. Very cool!! Easy and level spots so hookup was a breeze! Great place to stop for a night or two.

Tent Camping on a Friday night

I had a great night camping at McHood Campground along Clear Creek. It was very peaceful and quiet on a Friday night. Only 4-5 other groups were camping. I woke up the next morning and went for a run around the reservoir before kayaking the 6.5 mile round trip out & back along Clear Creek. Bathrooms were decent and the camping area was very clean. $15 to camp but it was well worth it. I would go back.