Yurts
County
Hualapai Mountain Park is located in Arizona
9 Reviews of Hualapai Mountain Park
Escape from the Desert Heat

Just a few miles off I-40 just east of Kingman. So surprising how much the temperature dropped up the mountain looking over the Arizona desert still. The rangers at the campground was very informational and helpful on finding the perfect place for either tent camping or bringing your RV with hook-ups. The grounds have plenty of trails to hike and the scenery is wonderful and the freshness of the air words can't describe. Definitely coming back in the future.

ideal For RVs or Tent Campers With Great Wildlife

A stay here is like a stay right in the mountains where you can see everything around you and truly appreciate the atmosphere. Up at this camp anyone can come and enjoy stretching out and enjoying a day or weekend away at a reasonable rate with good company all around you. There wasn't a single camper that I met here that wasn't pleasant, maybe it is that mountain air.

When I visited there were not any events going on here so it was a typical day in the middle of the week, there were still plenty of other campers here but it did not feel overwhelmingly full by any means. I opted for a site without water because there were plenty of spigots around so I didn't figure it was a must have at that moment. My site was pretty basic with a picnic table out of stone and a grill but it was nestled in the mountains and seemed like my own little piece of happiness. Only $17 for my site seemed more than reasonable and I felt like I had plenty of room to really spread out.

This campground has a little piece of history being a part of the jobs created during the Great Depression. At that time they put people to work etching out paths through the mountains, some of those are still in use today and as you hike along the many trails here you are hiking along the path with such an appreciation for the beauty that you tend to forget that this once was a place which reminded people of hope in the midst of tragedy through minimal wages.

While there I checked out the Aspen Peak trail which was awesome and I recommend it as a must see!!

TIPS:

• Sites are first come first serve so get there early on busy weekends.

• Check their site for special events, they often host off road events here because of the terrain in which case sites fill quickly.

Great escape from the heat

Wooded campground with some full hook up sites. Large playground for kids. Lots of wildlife and rzr trails.

Beautiful forest outside the desert!

Cheap, clean, well maintained, lots of wild life!

Decent county park near Kingman with good hiking, cabins and ge group sites

This is a Mohave County park near Kingman AZ. We had a rough start, but it ended up being a reasonable place to stay. And the hiking was excellent.

A couple days before we arrived, someone called to tell us our site was not going to be ready. The caller wanted to move us across the road to their RV park. We explained we had a teardrop trailer, and they moved our reservation. When we arrived, we realized the RV park was a big parking lot (albeit with a nice view) but there were no bathrooms. It is, however, a full hookup park. If you don't mind camping within a few feet of your neighbors and have a bathroom with your unit, this is a good option. That doesn't work for a teardrop with a living compartment with a futon that folds down into a bed plus a kitchen on the back. A trip back to the office led us to a site across from group camping with a nearby bathroom. (There were two other group sites deeper in the park. All group areas looked nice and were appropriate for large groups.)

Showers were up above where we camped, but we quickly found out these were locked units that were only for people in some of the cabins that didn't have showers. Oh well, there was a wellness center in Kingman with a gym/shower. That's a good option for occasional showers because we planned to stay multiple nights. Cabins looked nice from the outside, but we didn't see the inside.

There were a couple camping areas that had nice sites but the road to get to one area was steep and deeply pitted. We would not have wanted to take our trailer too far into those areas. Tent campers, campervans and truck campers would be okay. I don't think they intend for people to tow anything to those spots, but they were very rough (even for a car).

But….we found an excellent hiking loop and were able to do a 7 to 8 mile hike in varied mountain terrain. There is a good map online that shows all the hiking options. On our way to the trailhead, we passed the area where we had made our reservation. I'm not sure why they waited to call us until a couple days before our stay because this area was not even close to ready for camping. Not sure if it is new or just being redone.

Wildlife in the area - deer and elk. I was running on the road in one direction while an elk was headed for the campground in the other direction.

Wild life in the Hualapai's

I have been there many times over the years and have never been disappointed. I have been there in the snow and rain ,and it is still a good time.I have never been so close to wild life before the elk and deer roam the area ,especially in the morning hours. A great commune with nature.

Shangri-La above the desert

I had been camping in August by the Colorado River in Arizona, a mistake that time of year. About midnight I was too hot to sleep, and the mosquitos were eating me alive. I decided to move, and an hour later I rolled into Kingman, Ariz. to get gas. I saw a sign for Hualapai Mountain Park, and, knowing nothing about it, I took a chance. Within a couple of miles, the temperature had dropped and the air was fresh. I rolled into the park about midnight, somehow found a camping spot amid the towering Ponderosas and slipped into a deep sleep in the cool air. In the morning a friendly ranger reminded me to pay, nodding in understanding at the story of my escape from the desert. The campground itself was beautiful. The big Ponderosas kept the site cool well into the day--it is almost at 8,000 feet! Better yet was the short hiking trail I took the next day to a promontory on Aspen Peak with a stunning view east across Arizona. A memorable stay.

nIGHT HIKE

This place is a must come. Trust me. I've been outdoors for years and this place is the place to come. I came night hiking here and the star will amaze you. I got to see reptiles like tarantulas and scorpions.

First time to the "Hualapais"

This is a great place to get away from the heat in Bullhead City. There are lots of dry tent camping sites scattered throughout the park, or you could rent a cabin or even a teepee. There are rv sites with full hook ups if that's your preference. We went tent camping in the pine basin section there's no water so we brought enough for the trip. In our area I only saw port a potties scattered throughout the area. There are a lot of deer wandering around and they're not shy, a doe walked right up to me the first morning while I was making coffee. I have been told there are Elk wandering around too but I didn't see any. We enjoyed it there and will be going back. The fees are reasonable $17.00 a night for camping, you can buy firewood and ice at the check in station.