Lake of the Woods, ARIZONA

Camping Arizona Lake of the Woods
Most Recent Lake of the Woods Camping Reviews
Nice but make sure you don't have a shared site!

Great place with lots to do for just about any age! Camping, dry or with hookups.Some of the pads are made for two campers though, which means the other camper could be less than a foot away. That's fine if it's family/friends, may not be so nice for someone you don't even know. The lake is nice with kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards for rent. Heard fishing is also great, with catfish, walleye, trout and bass.Lots of piers, as well as the lakeshore that you could fish from. And a boat ramp if you have your own boat. we really enjoyed all there was to do on the water!

Great location for lakes (and lots of people)!

Stayed here for two nights and was impressed by the staff, availability of ice and firewood, and the quick jaunt to Woods Canyon Lake.

If you’re expecting dense pine and privacy, this isn’t your place. The network of campgrounds up here combined with the sparse tree growth sometimes makes for a parking lot-like feel. I’ll look for something a bit less trafficked next time.

Amazing Camping off Yound Highway

Big open spots with lots to do nearby. There are multiple places to pull of of this road and camp. This is a pack in/pack out site with trees and fresh air. It is part of Tonto National forest so fire restrictions and usually in place through the summer. Tall pines are everywhere with junipers here and there. You can get some amazing views of the Mogollon Rim depending where you stop.
Forest Lakes and the rim lakes are close by. They are great for kayaking, fishing and camping. The fish hatchery is a fun stop for kids but the hours are pretty specific.

Nice, but pit toilets are stinky

The sites are very well maintained and for it being so big, you didn’t feel cramped (although it wasn’t full). Perfect site for our first camper tow. Amenities are nice (water/dump station), showers, paved roads throughout, but the campground pit toilets are old and stinky. Will definitely be back, but will probably use our own bathroom. 😬

The shower spot

This place is a very well maintained campground. The sites are big. Your neighbor is not on top of you. They have bathrooms and showers which are very clean and always kept up. There is a lot of campers that come from other campsites to use the shower.

Beautiful campground on Apache Reservation

Boondocking at its finest! Quiet, large campground, easy access to lake, wildlife. Close to town but far enough that it feels like your way out.

Wonderful getaway

We have camped at a lot of the Arizona State Parks and Fools Hollow was one of our favorites yet. Everything is very clean and well kept. We stayed in Mallard 8 which has full hook ups, great shade and views of the lake from your campsite. We were advised to go up the channel for fishing as during summer time they rent boats at the boat dock and that scares the fish up stream. We fished with both powerbait and catfish bait. Had success with catfish.

Show low is 2 miles away if you forget any essentials.

Our favorite place to escape!

Hawley Lake is the perfect escape when you want to get out of the heat. Pristine views, cool weather during the summer and clean facilities almost make you feel like your not in Arizona anymore. Campsites are first come first serve and both times we went in August and there were plenty of spots to chose from. Be sure to get your fishing license and permits in town, it’s a long drive into town from the lake. Bring rope to protect your campsite from wild horses and wandering cows. Overall one of favorite places to camp!

Monster Speed Humps, Packed in like Sardines, Nice Pine Forest

The speed humps in this place are MONSTERS! We had to crab over them so that we didn't leave our plumbing with them (and very nearly did leave some plumbing the first time over the first one). The biggest suggestion I would have for management is to get some DOT specifications for speed humps and use those (The ones in our home neighborhood do a more than sufficient job of slowing people down without threatening RV plumbing systems).

The spaces are pretty close together and you get to know your neighbors pretty well (fortunately most are the friendly type). Most people seem to be staying for the season (and not just a few days like us).

The setting is a nice Pine forest. There was a group of wild horses roaming around while we were there. The roads are gravel and packed gravel that handle the rain nicely (we had no problems with mud).

There are 30 and 50 Amp electrical hookups, water and sewer in each space.

The cost is VERY REASONABLE when compared to other RV parks in the area.

Shower facilities are nice, but could use more ventilation (no windows, no openings other than the door and vent fan).

The walk to the Casino is, at most, 1 mile (furthest spot). The close ones are right across the street from the Casino.  Road noise might be a problem on these close spaces, but we were most of the way to the back and heard no road noise at all.

Peaceful and Clean

There is a self pay machine, but did not work. The campsites are nice and roomy. Says there is a host, but there is not. Overall nice place and has cell phone service.

Best camp ground ever

This campsite was fabulous. It was probably one of the cleanest campsites I have ever been in. They keep the grounds well-maintained and the showers and bathrooms were spotless. We were there the last week in June and it was full. You definitely have to make reservations far in advance. We were lucky that we were able to reserve (two nights) a spot right on the lake. Our car battery died, the camp host was very helpful and gave us a jump. We are definitely coming back!

Clean area with great services

The best thing about canyon point is the fact that it’s one of the other campgrounds that have showers available, that’s a huge plus after a couple days of being outdoors. The sites are similar to other campground around the area. The sites are kind of close together but that’s to be expected. Nice paved roads, close to forest lake estates, and Payson is a short drive away for anything you might have forgot or need.

Canyon point

My first impression of Canyon Point was how clean and well organized the whole campground was. There is a kiosk at the front staffed with a couple workers who were very friendly. The provided a map and directions and offered lots of information.

It’s a little expensive but not terrible at $33 per night for hookups and $28 without. That being said, there are full hookups and a dump station, showers, and even an amphitheater with schedule activities. A and B loops, reservations required. I thought that the sites were a little close together for me.

This is one of the most well run and organized campgrounds that I’ve been to!

Horseshoe Cienega

Horseshoe cienega lake and campground is located off the 260 about 45 minutes east of Pinetop-Lakeside. First impressions: wow! The lake in and of itself is beautiful and very similar to the other small mountain lakes in this area. It is visible right off the road. Fishing and kayaking is available here but you have to buy a special fishing permit for the White Mountain Apache Tribe.

The campground is open between May and October. No reservations, first come first serve. We stayed in a large group over Fourth of July week and of course this place was packed. That said, the sites were still far enough away to have some privacy.

The campground sits between the lake on the north and a spectacular cliff with a river running at the bottom on the south end. This was an awesome view! The river is accessible and you can hike down to it.

This is just a simple campground, no hookups, with amazing views! I would love to go back again not on a holiday weekend!

Two Places; I preferred the paid side

I really loved these camping spots at the South gate of The Petrified Forest National Park.

There are two locations across the street from one another, one paid, one free. We stayed on the paid side, as it was evident to us they were well cared for.

Hosts were very nice. I hope to stay again in our way home. Gift shop has some lovely specimens of petrified wood.

Nice and secluded

In November of 2017, we decided to go camping. But since it was off-season, so our choices were limited. We traveled past Payson in search of a campground that was open year-round, and we finally landed upon this serene beauty. It was a small campground located off of some unpaved forest roads with large campsites equipped with fire pits and some even with BBQ grills. There were picnic tables at the sites as well. There were two small bathrooms available to use near our campsite. At first we were the only ones in the campground, but eventually one other group showed up. Overall, we were happy with this campsite and would be happy to return someday. I am sure there are more campers in the busy season, but I'm sure it is still just as serene and beautiful

Great spot

Really liked this campground. The roads were all paved, bathrooms & showers were very clean. We road in on motorcycles & the camp spots were really great. It gets a little windy in the afternoon and evening but dies down to have a little camp fire. We did not take advantage of the lake(fishing, swimming or boating) but it looked nice. I would definitely stay here again. It was inexpensive for the camp spot which was a bonus.

Permanently closed

Site has been permanently closed according to fa.usda.gov

Weekday Heaven

This campground was really nice and quiet on the weekdays. I left on Sat morning, and Friday night it was hopping and crowded (It was also Fathers day weekend). Most of the electric sites are really big and private. Lots of trees to block camper other campers. On the downside there was only 1 flush toilet bathroom for one side of the campground. There were more flush toilets and showers by the registration office, but they were locked in the evening/night.

Nice for an overnight stay

Great little campground on the way through Oak Creek Canyon. It is a little close to the road but the noise is minimal. Great spaces, well maintained, friendly host and a small river to the west adds to the experience. There is a natural spring  not far from the exit that has some very good clean drinking water. I’ll stay there again.

Great little camp site

I was originally going to camp at raccoon camp about a half mile north of here but upon my arrival there were waaaaay too many tiny human darting about for my liking so I kept moving. Next was horse springs. This was prefect little spot. It was set back off the road (unlike all of the sites north of there) and had 16 well spaced out spots (27 when you count the ramada and the other ten spots a bit down the road) and only 3 other campers. I was home. I picked a spot back away from the road and up against the river that already had a pile of firewood laying about. When the camp host John and his pup Carver returned from his trip to town Buddy (my dog) and I went to say hi, pay our fees and chat. John was a great host. He was happy to chat, and even dug out an old alpine ranger district hiking guide for me to peruse. The bathrooms were spotless, tha is John, and the camp was super clean. I definately recommend this spot.

Great sites

We stayed  here over a holiday weekend and had a great time, felt a bit out of place as we have a pop-up and everyone else was in RV's. The sites are all clean well maintained with decent tree cover if you book ahead.  Town is very close by so shopping is easy seems to be a bit of an older crowd in town but nice people. We will make this a stop when it gets to cold in Colorado.

Amazing camping experience

It was amazing how beautiful the view was. Had the lake right night to us. The wind was blowing perfectly. There was an amazing trail to walk next to the lake. The bathrooms were close to our camp site. Convenient to go at night since it had lights to lead the way. Also had a chance to shower in a clean bathroom. Will definitely be back.

Amazing place for family get togther

This is great camping area with multiple unmarked sites available, first come basis. You do need a San Carlos Apache use permit which cost $20 per day per person over 12. Pack it all in and pack it all out. The river is close but no drinkable water on site with out filtration. Our family had 14 people camping out of 5 vehicle at our site alone. Good fishing and lots of wildlife to see. We saw a bear 50 feet across the river on out first day. Its not high in the pines, but is a good mix of Juniper, pine, ash, and Scrub Oak.

Nice

Great weather

Shake down

We did our sharks down here last weekend. Super clean and well maintained, very friendly staff and neighbor campers

Easy access from highway with a bathroom

Larson Ridge is easily becoming one of my new favorite campgrounds. The sites are within a 1/4 mile of the highway (close enough to see the vehicle lights at night) but there is no highway noise. The numbering on the sites is odd because I can't find 60+ sites but that's how they are numbered. You do need to camp in the designated spots and the forestry service does come through and kick you out if you aren't.

The bathroom is very simple. One men's and one women's. There is a sign that the bathroom is maintained by volunteers. I've always seen it stocked with toilet paper but the floor is normally dirty and the trash is half full. So far even in the cold weather the campground has been very busy so I imagine during the summer getting a spot could be tricky. From what I can tell most sites could be reached by a car and had room for smaller trailers or tents. The fire pits are just rock rings so be prepared to need to work on it a little

I love this place

Awesome scenery. But the camp ground can get very busy. The site are ok in size but some sites are very close together. There are showers and flush toilets if you are into that. To get to the lake from the tent sites you have to climb down a pretty steep rocky hill or drive to the day use area. We fish for catfish and have caught a few here but also got skunked a few times. I've stayed here June July and October. Dont really recommend fall really windy cold and rainy. But not not many campers that time of the year.