Heber-Overgaard, ARIZONA

Camping Arizona Heber-Overgaard
Most Recent Heber-Overgaard Camping Reviews
Went backpacking/camping by the Mogollon rim!

Had a great night after backpacking 12 miles the first day. We found a perfect site right by the trail and were able to sleep under the stars in hammocks and even on just the ground without a tent. The area has so many trees to hammock from and provides plenty of wind-blocking so it doesn't get terribly chilly from the wind.

Great Place to Exlore

This is a great little campground 2 miles outside of Winslow Arizona. It’s in the middle of a state park that has two areas of ruins. One area is located about a mile from the campground. The campground has all the amenities. There’s good distance between each of the RV sites but there’s no shade since this is grassland. This is a wonderful place to explore.

Cell Coverage: Outstanding

Nice but make sure you don't have a shared site!

Great place with lots to do for just about any age! Camping, dry or with hookups.Some of the pads are made for two campers though, which means the other camper could be less than a foot away. That's fine if it's family/friends, may not be so nice for someone you don't even know. The lake is nice with kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards for rent. Heard fishing is also great, with catfish, walleye, trout and bass.Lots of piers, as well as the lakeshore that you could fish from. And a boat ramp if you have your own boat. we really enjoyed all there was to do on the water!

Traffic noise

Tried control road after some extensive research. It wasn’t as good as expected. This site was too close to the 260 so traffic noise was loud. There was not too much shade as the area for camping was very leveled. The road in is paved for about 3 miles. Then turns to dirt. Some of the areas are tougher than others. Went down a ways to try to find a new spot but all the “nice” ones were taken and others were way too close to the road. Overall won’t be trying control road again

Solid choice as usual

Decided to do a second review of aspen because this time seems a bit different than past times. Only 1 loop of the campground was open but it sure was much louder than usual. A good amount of the campers enjoyed very music that could be heard from many campsites away so this was unfortunate. Other than that the hosts were kind as always and the site was very nice and open.

Great place to camp hike fish relax

Great place easy access large campsites with a big fire pit grill already built in forest is 30ft away and your walking in the wilderness there are a lot of ATVs around on the weekends so it will be loud and lots of traffic is the only downside but on the weekdays it’s empty and wide open we hiked about two miles into the woods and got to follow a huge herd of ELK ! What a nice surprise for the kids I give five stars dogs kids and adults we all had a blast !

Zero cell service lots of hunters but very secluded only know of hunters by the shots every now and then lake knoll is beautiful lots of Fish !! Five stars but for experienced campers only bring 4wd and a spare tire lots of awesome 4x4 trails and hiking this is camping at its best

WOW, WOW, WOW

Just stunning!! Beautiful trails and gorgeous overall. A lot of interesting information at the ruin sites. We stayed at the campground and enjoyed watching the sunset.

Great place to camp overnight.$18 for tents, running water, smallish trees, restrooms with flush toilets, extra fees for electrical hookups. The fees keep the hobos away.  I-40 and the train tracks are close enough to hear in the tent, but not loud enough to keep you awake.

The bathrooms are wiped down everyday as well as the showers which are in decent condition. The water is hot and water pressure is great.

Be careful driving in, they've filled in the cracks in the roads about a mile in, but after that there are decent sized cracks going the whole length of the road left to right. Smaller vehicles didn't seem to have a problem. But we had to drive very slowly in our RV.

Fantastic

This is a family favorite. We stayed in a new spot this time and will definitely be staying in this one again. Wouldn’t advise a trailer longer than 28 feet and no motor homes. We tried fishing but weren’t successful. Bathrooms and watet spigot is right across the street. You are able to fill up fresh water at camp host spot or the dump station has a spot for fresh water fill up. Verizon cell service is really spotty to no service at all.

Lots of sites!

We drove up to Payson spontaneously hoping we would be able to find a campsite and we went to 4 full ones before stumbling on this one. This one luckily had room and we were thrilled about that. It was $25 for the one night. The site was very accommodating too, they sell firewood at their for $8. The owners of the site also helped us get a fire going when we had trouble. The bathrooms were also clean which was nice. Overall a great campsite!

Good

We really liked this camp ground, we just didn't like the experience. The spaces are spread apart and there is plenty of room. But you can have up to 10 people, 2 car and ONLY 2 tents. So be prepared to sleep in groups I guess, we weren't. Also the camp host was nice but seemed to cater to the people she knew, she drives by A LOT and checked up on us almost every hour, we go to camp to get away, not be bothered. She really did not make us feel welcomed but we really did like where the camp site was so we're just hoping a new host is there if we ever go back.

Friendly and beautiful, but busy

Really enjoyed a two-night stay at this campsite, ended up in sites 001 and 002 on the A loop. 002 was more spacious but less shady, 001 smaller but more secluded.

The restrooms were clean and the camp host offered firewood right from her cart, extremely convenient!

The only reason for four stars was the parallel-to-camp parking spots and the overall slant of the site itself—rain erosion needs to be addressed and the spots need some TLC with a backhoe to get back to level.

All depends on the site

Nice campground overall. I enjoyed the easy access off the 260 and also the paved roads. We had a great campsite with tons of space D08 but it was also close to the bathroom. 2 issues were the flys and the bees. It was overload. They actually had bee and fly catchers up before we even got there and they still were an issue. Overall not bad but probably won’t come back.

Great spot for a break from Interstate 40

Very nice RV park within 2 miles of I-40 near Winslow, Az. Park has about 35, nicely spaced RV pads on asphalt. Very nice restrooms with excellent showers. Many pads with electricity and water. No sewer but they have a free dump site at the entrance. Each site has planted trees and fire pits. Exploring ancient Indian ruins is a great addition to your stay.

Amazing Camping off Yound Highway

Big open spots with lots to do nearby. There are multiple places to pull of of this road and camp. This is a pack in/pack out site with trees and fresh air. It is part of Tonto National forest so fire restrictions and usually in place through the summer. Tall pines are everywhere with junipers here and there. You can get some amazing views of the Mogollon Rim depending where you stop.
Forest Lakes and the rim lakes are close by. They are great for kayaking, fishing and camping. The fish hatchery is a fun stop for kids but the hours are pretty specific.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick at Pivot Rock Canyon

Campground Review: This is dispersed camping in Coconino National Forest. There is camping throughout this area and it is all dispersed. Some spots are better than others but everything is pretty awesome. Tall pines all around, lots of exploring room for kids. The camping areas are all pretty open and there are plenty of spots to park a trailer or RV. This is just open forest so there is nothing for resources or amenities. There are spots higher on the ridge and also a few amazing places to camp right in pivot canyon. It has been an especially dry year but the canyon is shaded and was very green.

There is some great hiking especially through the canyon. If you follow the canyon about one mile from the road, then go down and right onto a cow trail, you can get to Pivot Rock Spring. We weren’t able to make it that far because we had so many little kids with us this time. This is also very close to Strawberry and Pine which have a perfect small town feel. You can stop at the lavender farm, buy local honey, and they have little festivals pretty often.

Something to note is that Tonto National Forest is usually fire restricted this time of year but Coconino is not. This site is barely into Coconino. It is still very dry so be careful with it!

Product Review: Grub Stick As a Dyrt Ranger I get to try out awesome new gear from outdoor companies. This trip we cooked with our new Grub Stick set. I love cooking over a campfire, and that is what Grub Stick is all about. The kids also had fun roasting. Definitely be aware that these are hot sharp pieces of metal so of course we had a close eye on them. Like any roasting get your fire going for a while until you have a nice bed of coals, that will cook better and cleaner than big flames and smoke. The handles are heavy duty and extendable and the different heads are easy to exchange, even when hot. Grub Stick really planned well on giving you what is needed in the moment. The hot pad, and grabber were very useful. We started out with grilled cheese sandwiches in the Grubcage and Burgcage. They worked great and you can see I was even about to prop a few up on the rocks whichever I got the next batch ready. For dessert we did s’mores. Roasting the whole s’more got the chocolate all melted and toasted the crackers too. I was a little doubtful that the marshmallow would roast enough but it did well. If you’re into perfect browned marshmallows, I would roast them separately. Next we used the Grubpocket, which is the short metal cylinder. Now I was really excited for this one. My wife’s family has always made “woofems” which are made from wrapping crescent roll dough around a dowel on metal rod. You roast it and then fill it with pudding, berries and whipped cream. So with the Grubpocket, they cook much faster and the best part is that the interior cooks too. We’ve always had the problem of a doughy middle. I filled mine with chocolate pudding and bananas. It was amazing. I did butter the stick first and I would suggest that or else the dough can get stuck. There were a few other tools that we are looking forward to using next time including the bacon clip and the Grub Tube. I love the simplicity of the product. It makes campfire cooking easier and pretty fast. I saw the recipes on the site and some of them seem a little over the top. I like that the tools simplify the process for me. I also love the durable carrying case that easily fits everything.

Such a great site!!

We had a great time here, sites are good size and well kept! Amenities were in great condition and our favorite day use river spot is 15 minutes away👌🏻 A+++

Eh

Just a 1/2 mile on dirt road so that’s nice but the walk in spots for this campsite are SMALL and VERY tight/close together. Not only that but all spots are parallel. This doesn’t make it very convenient unless you are tent camping which we were not. Close to the Mogollon Rim paved path which is amazing, reference the picture for that! The hosts were great…hence why I gave the 4 stars! But I wouldn’t be going back here anytime soon.

Small site

Not a bad site but small. The sites were too small for my truck and Aliner but lots and lots of shade which was cool! It’s also just across the 260 from the village which was neat to visit.

Solid campground

Pretty nice campground, especially with the paved roads for the bikes. It also has a cool creek within a short hike, about 1.5 miles round trip. Overall a nice campground but not necessarily some place I’d go back. Mainly because the lack of shade in the space we were in and a few around us.

Nice, but pit toilets are stinky

The sites are very well maintained and for it being so big, you didn’t feel cramped (although it wasn’t full). Perfect site for our first camper tow. Amenities are nice (water/dump station), showers, paved roads throughout, but the campground pit toilets are old and stinky. Will definitely be back, but will probably use our own bathroom. 😬

One of the faves

Aspen campground is our go to campground. It has all the necessary amenities for simple camping. What we like best is the paved roads and the paved bike path! Incredible to take it all the way up to the rim. Only downfall is that some spaces are quite close and reservations are slim to none at times.

One of the faves

This is camping

First time doing blm camping and holy cow!!! I could not have been more pleased. The spaces are so spread out that you feel like no one is around you! Each site is well taken care of and has a campfire ring ready to use. The exploring is endless at 195. Only downside is all dirt/gravel roads so not great for casual biking but overall I would highly recommend and will be going back soon!

Piny air and plenty of isolation

While I'd rather have been closer to the dramatic drop off of the rim, sitting a bit back on the plateau was still a nice break from the valley heat. The site was spacious and quite far from the nearest other sites. I could just barely spot a little flickering flame through the trees for the site to the south of me - an RV was there and I think I heard some young children early in the afternoon - and similarly saw a bit of distant light from the site to the north. These are nicely separated.

Sadly, not as far back from FR 84 (or the Rim Rd. itself) as would be ideal as there was some intermittent traffic noise and light during the evening but not so bad it detracted from the peace much.

There were two rock fire rings at the site but I personally thought one of them was too close to a tree to be usable. The one I did use had plenty of clearance.

Plenty of flat space for a tent and some nicely spaced trees for hammock campers.

Beautiful views, but difficult to get a site

This spot has great views since half of the sites are directly along the Mogollon Rim, but ultimately it can be tough to grab a spot since first come first serve and it’s a very well known, free campsite. The first time we visited and wanted to camp here all spots were taken. There are other spots in the area to camp in the event you don’t get a spot, you just don’t get the view of being on the rim. (See my reviews if you want to know more about FR 84 in the event you don’t get a spot at FR9350.)

The second time we came up we managed to grab a spot on the rim side of the road, spot #30, around noon. We saw one or two vehicles drive up and back the dirt road with gear in the back searching for a spot within minutes of grabbing the site, so how we managed to nab it I’m not sure—the previous campers must have left minutes before we arrived.

Because some of these sites are next to the Rim without any barrier between you and the drop off, this site may not be for those with young children or pets that wish to roam. If you do come with young kids or roaming animals it may be best to look for a spot on the far side, or the side that is not directly on the Rim.

This site has two pit style toilets at the entrance; however, we bushed it. Some sites have a picnic table but some do not— if you are not in an RV or camper and require a camp table, it is best to bring one. (Our site did not have a picnic table when we visited but we did pack a camp table and were happy we did.) In addition, it sometimes has a camp host; I did not notice a camp host the first time we drove thru but there was one there the second time when we got the chance to camp here. We did not encounter any noisy neighbors while we were here. Depending on when you visits, weather may be unpredictable. While weather was perfect during our visit in early July, I have seen and heard weather can change quickly on the Rim. It is also good to know this campsite can be very dusty; so I highly recommend bringing a pack or two of baby wipes and any allergy meds you might need. A headlamp is a good idea too since you always want to be able to see at nighttime being so close to a large drop off. Last, I have Verizon and got service at our campsite.

Great for large group

This would be an amazing spot to rent if you have a large group. There are 2 large Ramadas in the middle of the campground that can be used for a party, dinner, services of any type, etc. all the spots are level and have a table and fire ring.

Good experience

Camped here this Labor Day weekend. Lots of people there but plenty of room. About a mile hike to Woods Canyon Lake. Caught plenty of delicious trout. Overall good experience. I will definitely be camping here again.

The shower spot

This place is a very well maintained campground. The sites are big. Your neighbor is not on top of you. They have bathrooms and showers which are very clean and always kept up. There is a lot of campers that come from other campsites to use the shower.

Aspen Campground

Always a great place to stay in the summer. Usually about 25 degrees cooler in then Phoenix. Close to lakes and creeks along with hiking trails.