Nelsonia, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Nelsonia Camping Reviews
Quite

Had electric but no water or sewage . With that said I knew this going in. Had a nice spot with walking paths,bike trails and kayaking. Wasn’t far from town but you would’ve never known it.

The kids will love it

Great camping resort. There is a ton of stuff to here. From miniature golfing to fishing, swimming in one of their 5 pools to paddle boating. A lot to do. It does tend to get crowded. Especially around a holiday. They have a tram that runs constantly that will drop you off at all the hot spots and a bus on site that will take you to the grocery store/ liquor store that is a few miles away for no extra charge. The bus will even take you to Cape Charles and pick you up. It’s good to become friends with the driver. We look forward to going back in October when it’s not as warm for their Halloween events.

Beautiful!

Very nice and very clean! The staff was all very friendly and accommodating. Definitely will stay again

Great place right on the water

Nothing fancy but beautiful setting. Great people to work with.

Sex on the beach

Bugs can be pretty bad but it’s the beach so it can’t be THAT bad

Amazing location

First time camping in a long time. Oceanside requires a good amount of work. You’re carrying your gear in to your site, setting up in howling wind (potentially), no water at site. Cold showers. Pit toilets. But man oh man. The rewards are high. Wild horses every day. Beach was right over the dune. Campsite is set behind one dune so there’s a little wind protection. We had one wild thunderstorm night. Survived with our good tent and screen house (do not come without some kind of screen house). But the next morning the mosquitoes were wild. Everyone had bites from our morning packing up. It was hot (camped at end of July/beginning of August), but water was a good escape. We escaped into the town of Berlin on some of the hotter hours of the day for ice cream to beat the heat (and charge our electronics in the car). Great spot. I’d come back, but maybe later in the year when it’s not so hot!

Nice place

No frills but very nice. Close to everything

Can't even find it!

No idea where this place is, I've looked all over!

Fun weekend

We camped at the tent only loop(F3). The site was great. The walk to the beach was longer than I thought. The most northern access was closed.

I was a bit disappointed with the bathroom situation and the trash situation. The one shower/bathroom serviced 3 different loops. And they closed it for cleaning in the morning for about 30 min. Frustrating.
There was no trash can in the loops. It was located at the entrance to the park forcing us to either drive it up daily or keep on site till the end.

Otherwise I loved the fishing and crabbing. The north beach was beautiful and water warm. Although they don’t allow dogs on the north beach.

Overall I would still go again.

All part of the bigger campground

Beautiful scenery, love the wild horses. Just be careful opening the door, I've been greeted by a few horses!

All part of the bigger camp

Best sunsets going!

Nothing fancy here but who needs fancy when you have a beach,fishing, live entertainment and the beast sunsets going?

Too many “Improvements”

I just stayed at this campground for the third year in a row. The area is beautiful, and it is a convenient drive from my house. My first stay was wonderful. Great campsites, friendly staff, good facilities. Last year, the price doubled, supposedly to make improvements. Our “full hookup “ site didn’t include CATV, and a minor rainstorm caused the sewage system to overflow, soaking all of my gear in waste water. When I spoke to the staff, the only comment was “We’re working on that” Well, this year there was another price increase. The improvements were building a giant, expensive water park. The sites are now smaller, the roads are rutted and hard to tow through. Although the sites do now have CATV, our site only had a male connector, and three calls to the office proved ineffective. I found a Dish Network tech working in another part of the park and told him. He immediately came to our site and it took him 30 seconds to fix the problem. They do seem to have fixed the sewage problem. It’s a shame what has happened here. A great campground has fallen to greed. The staff, if you can find them, is indifferent. The prices are up in the hotel range, the water park looks nice if that is what you are looking for (I wasn’t). This will probably be my last stay here.

Outstanding

Great place with a lot of fun & views

So worth it

This is such an amazing place to take a family for vacation. Club Castaways is the place to be here, though. The campground is a bit crowded and lively outside Club Castaways but it is still an amazing place for how close you are to the water. Bayfront campground, can see Ocean City lit up at night. Such a beautiful place to stay.

Not a campground

Not a campground but an office. Very nice and helpful people!

I love this place

I love this place. It’s hard to get a spot here tho you have to book early! Water was cold the bathrooms wasn’t very clean! I stayed ocean side walk in. We park and drag all your items in for tent camping. FYI you can have a fire right on the beach!

The Perfect campground

Title says it all! Great location, the friendliest and most helpful staff, beautiful surroundings, lots to do, kid and pet friendly

Love castaways

A beautiful and very well maintained campground. Friendly people, good sized sites, plenty to do. Kid friendly!

Excellent camping and beautiful beach!

Have you ever wanted to go to a beach where the water is calm, clear, warm and shallow? With hardly any people there? Kiptopeake is the beach for you! Located on the bay there aren't huge waves to worry about or big beach crowds. Kiptopeake is my favorite Virginia State Park campground, hands down.

Camping:

If you are a primitive tent camper like us, you'll want to get the site-specific sites. They are more secluded, bigger, and walkable to the beach. The sites in the site-specific loop are conveniently located to the bathrooms which have nice hot showers! Each site has a pretty standard picnic table and fire ring with enough room for two tents. Our site didn't have tons of room for two cars though, we had to squeeze in to our space awkwardly. We've been here in pretty much all months of the spring, summer and fall and have never had a problem with mosquitoes or biting flies.

To Do:

The beach at Kiptopeake is so beautiful! Most of the time we post up and spend all day there. I highly recommend watching the sunset from the beach. Check out the concrete fleet on a kayak. There's some great hiking, butterfly garden, bird watching. Virginia State Parks has some great programs for the kids as well! The town of Cape Charles nearby is very charming and worth a visit for cute shops and restaurants.

Highly recommend this park! It is a really special place you'll want to keep coming back to!

A new favorite camping spot

Beautiful campground. The bathrooms were nicer than my bath at home and sparkling clean. Staff was amazingly pleasant and helpful. The campground was quiet and peaceful. The park had so much to explore, kayaking, hiking, fishing, beach access via kayak; we could have easily spent a week there. I was worried before arriving because other reviewers complained about the bugs. We were there mid July and the bugs weren’t bad at all, a few mosquito bites, and the biting flies were kept at bay by cutter. We will definitely be back. The kayaking alone is worth the trip.

Great Park

Nice quiet, everything you need, kayaking, fishing.

Lovely scenery

No hookups but wow the views! And if course the wild horses are amazing.

Outdated

This was a great campground when I was a kid. But the sites need updating as they are very small, hard to negotiate a modest sized modern camper into, and the campground floods easily following a heavy rain. The water park is lots of fun and though you are close to ocean city you really have no need to leave the park with all the entertaining events they have.

Club Castaway is the spot to be

A majority of the park is a mix of sandy sites sparsely covered by crabgrass and sand spurs. But there’s a gem… the club Castaway area is an extra gated spot on the water with grassy sites and level paved pads. The area had a private dock for fishing and crabbing and the sunrise is a must see from the deck. You pay for this view but it’s worth it.

Ranger Review: Ice Mule Pro at Assateague Island

Camping at Assateague State Park

Assateague Island is a national park located in Maryland that offers plenty of beach camping and hiking trails. I decided to camp on the Oceanside walk-in which is means that we had to walk from the parking lot about 200 ft to our camping area. They also offer camping areas you can drive up to as well as areas that are on the bayside of the beach. Our reserved spot on the beach included a fire ring and a picnic table and the perfect beginning to a great week of camping. During our time we were able to do some hiking along the 37 mile long park, kayak on the ocean, and Bay, see some wild ponys that rove the park, and enjoy the very clean facilities that the park offered. The Island is not far from Ocean City either if you wish to go to the Board walk which we did experience one night. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to camp along the water and listen to the waves hitting the shoreline however booking must be done in advance as reservations fill up very fast every season.

Link: https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/marylandcamping.htm

Ice mule Pro XL

The Icemule Pro XL was great at what it was advertised for, which is keeping items cold. My Icemule was able to keep all the ice in its solid state for about 16 hours while sitting on the hot beach(90+ degree Fahrenheit) before melting to ice cold water. Once melted though the water stayed ice cold for roughly 30 hours. This was great because I didn’t have to refill the ice every day. The cooler was very popular with the crowds as multiple beach goers and friends would stop and ask me where I got it as they thought the design and concept of having a wearable backpack cooler was very neat. While the cooler did its job and the design was a good concept I found that it was very heavy when filled to its max. I do not believe that ordering the Icemule XXL would be realistic based off of this. Another issue I found was that packing drinks had to be done logistically in that you would have to put drinks, then ice, then add more drinks, and ice on top of that. Instead of a normal cooler where you would pack all of the drinks then pour the ice on top. This was an issue because many of my friends wanted to add some of there drinks to the cooler after I had already added the ice. None the less the drinks still stayed cool with the coolers cooling material. As mentioned I used this product while camping on the beach for a week and then used it again while watching some fireworks on the 4th of July and while the cooler did hold up the coolers back pack straps already had torn after about 10 uses. One final thing I found unfortunate was how the cooler closed. In my personal opinion Folding the opening of the cooler and buckling it was very tedious and many of my friends who used it wouldn’t go through the trouble of closing it. A regular cooler is easy to close in seconds where this takes a little more time and work. In the end it is a good cooler if you are looking for something portable and hands free but it is not something to use if you don’t have a strong back.

Link: https://icemulecoolers.com/products/the-icemule-pro-x-large

Anniversary Weekend

My husband and I were very pleased with this park. We got one of the campsites at the back (F1) much more secluded area then the sites at the front. The sites at the back were not right on top of each other which was perfect. Easy beach access and staff was friendly. Cape Charles is just a short drive North and is a cute little town to check out while you're there!

Camped here twice - tent and RV

I've camped here twice, once with a small group of friends in tents for a weekend in late October around Halloween, and once on a snowy December weekend in an RV. Facilities are nice, sites were a decent size and I liked that they were pretty well wooded and so somewhat private. During the October trip there were a lot of families with kids, and it was cool because people decorated their sites for Halloween. During the December trip there really weren't many other campers at all, which was nice, but there were a few people with poorly mannered off-leash dogs, which was frustrating for us and our dog.

There's lots to see around the campground. There's a short walk to a pier that takes you to the water where you can get some great photos of the landscape and some wildlife; various nature trails to hike; and we also went to the Point Lookout Lighthouse. There are also some Confederate/Civil War sites but we skipped those. There's a park store at 10560 Point Lookout Rd on the way to/from the Lighthouse which has toiletries and other necessities you may have forgotten, plus snacks and drinks.

Great June weekend

Our site was Deer Run loop # 111 but there was NO way we could back our small 18’ RV around the tree in the way (though this was just our 3rd trip with an RV). We switched to site 110 which was no problem. Very sparsely populated, it was near empty. Acorn Trail and Deer Run have electric. Water spigots were difficult to find in our loop but there’s a filling station near the sewer dump (don’t listen to the gal in the camp store, it’s there). We reserved our site just 2 or 3 days prior with lots of site choices. It’s buggy so bring whatever works for you. It rained twice but nothing was flooded or even very wet so good drainage at our site. The electric went out for about 3 hours in the middle of the night during a storm but the storm cooled things down. They offer canoe and kayak rentals and there’s a great pool! Bath house was beautiful but only 2 showers and one didn’t work on our last night there. We drove to the marina bath house instead. The store is nice as were the staff. Take bikes, it’s fairly level throughout. We went to Assateague State Park beach about a 30 min. drive. It was $4 a person in state / $6 for out of state. Terrible bath house really but great beach! Camp is near the town of Snow Hill which is a small town walkable place with quaint stores. I would stay here again!

Country Camper Camping

We’ve been visiting this campground for about 10 years. If you’re looking for a ton of amenities and upgrades, this is not the place. It’s owned by an older couple and the place is very aged but it really is a VERY nice location with access to great fishing. No one really bothers you and everyone has been so friendly. We’ve never met anyone that we had an issue with or that had an issue with us. The bathhouses are very dated but clean. Laundry onsite. Small camp store with misc items. Overall we like this place best cuz no one bothers you. Late night campfires and hanging out are allowed as long as no one gets outta control. Very safe area to let your kids run free but be aware that it’s right on the water so obviously there are risks.